We're onboarding a new MTR in Spring Valley we will be managing and, this being our first property in Las Vegas, I'm looking to connect with anyone who does MTRs already or is interested in learning about MTRs. For anyone wanting to learn, we have opportunities to work with us and learn the ins and outs of how to to set up and run MTRs at scale.
Post here or DM me and I'd love to connect.
Thank you all!
Hello Allen,
Last year, we conducted a study with a few clients and produced a white paper. If you would like a free copy of this white paper, please DM me.
Below are some of the results of our study:
Short-term rentals and mid-term rentals are fundamentally different. Short-term rentals mainly cater to vacationers. During difficult economic times, fewer people tend to take vacations. This is why many short-term rentals in Las Vegas were sold during the COVID-19 pandemic. In contrast, mid-term rentals are primarily driven by business necessity. For instance, there is currently a nursing shortage across the US, and traveling nurses help to alleviate it. Our research shows that traveling nurses usually start with a 13-week contract that may be extended. They require a place to live, which is why mid-term rentals are driven by necessity.
The primary consumers are traveling nurses. Hospitals with trauma care levels one and two and neonatal intensive care typically have the most traveling nurses. Properties should be within about 5 miles of such hospitals. However, the property must be in a safe location, which is sometimes further than 5 miles from the hospital. See the map below for trauma and neonatal intensive care hospitals.
There are two primary places to market furnished rentals, the MLS and sites like Furnished Finder. Our research showed that furnished properties rented through the MLS have a $.60/SF to $.70/SF incremental rent above non-furnished long-term rentals. On Furnished Finder, the incremental rent appears to be about $1.20/SF.Having a property manager to handle mid-term rentals is crucial. The property manager we work with offers reasonable rates for this service and will take care of inventory management, leasing, maintenance, and overall property management.
Always buy a property that would also be a good long-term rental. You need the backup option in case the mid-term rental market changes.
Minimizing turn costs and downtime is critical. This requires the right renovation components and speedy make-ready after a tenant departs. A renovation company that has already completed over 350 renovations for us will quickly do whatever touchups/repairs are necessary so we can get the property back on the market.
Use electronics to control access and reduce turnover time. For example, the garage door must be remotely controlled so:
Minimizing vacancy is critical. We believe the best way to do this is:
This is a summary of the study. If anyone is interested, DM me for the complete study.
...Eric
I love seeing your company's growth @Allen Duan!!
Hey, Noobie here but am looking at MTR as an initial step into real estate investing. Currently work as an RN and thats how I heard MTR as a strategy to REI that caters to travel nurses and health professionals. Would love to learn the process, but don't know how much value I can provide as my time is eaten up by a newborn.
Hey, Noobie here but am looking at MTR as an initial step into real estate investing. Currently work as an RN and thats how I heard MTR as a strategy to REI that caters to travel nurses and health professionals. Would love to learn the process, but don't know how much value I can provide as my time is eaten up by a newborn.
Hey Allen, I just sent you a DM. I’m looking to continue buying in Las Vegas and am interested in the mid term renal game.
i’m interested as well and would love to learn more about MTR‘s
We're onboarding a new MTR in Spring Valley we will be managing and, this being our first property in Las Vegas, I'm looking to connect with anyone who does MTRs already or is interested in learning about MTRs. For anyone wanting to learn, we have opportunities to work with us and learn the ins and outs of how to to set up and run MTRs at scale.
Post here or DM me and I'd love to connect.
Thank you all!
Hi Allen, I'm currently offering MTRs today. I'm based in the southwest and I currently have 9 units and I am currently helping 3 investors for MTR at this moment. One of the investors closed last night, and luckily I have the perfect property that meets their needs. However, the challenge with MTRs lies in the CC&R (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) and HOA (Homeowners Association) regulations.
To proceed with MTRs, it's crucial to carefully review the CC&R to ensure that leasing out a portion of the lot to tenants is permissible. This process requires a significant amount of effort. Lately, I've been constantly engaged in phone calls for the past 6 days, trying to obtain the necessary information. Unfortunately, some realtors don't respond to their phones, some HOAs have outdated contact numbers, and some CC&R documents are not up to date. It's quite frustrating, but I've been able to navigate through these challenges and gather accurate information for my clients.
I'm curious to know how you approach obtaining CC&R documents at scale. In my experience, this has been the most time-consuming and cumbersome aspect.
We're onboarding a new MTR in Spring Valley we will be managing and, this being our first property in Las Vegas, I'm looking to connect with anyone who does MTRs already or is interested in learning about MTRs. For anyone wanting to learn, we have opportunities to work with us and learn the ins and outs of how to to set up and run MTRs at scale.
Post here or DM me and I'd love to connect.
Thank you all!
Hi Allen, I'm currently offering MTRs (Master Tenant Rentals) today. I'm based in the southwest and I currently have 9 units and I am currently helping 3 investors for MTR at this moment. One of the investors closed last night, and luckily I have the perfect property that meets their needs. However, the challenge with MTRs lies in the CC&R (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) and HOA (Homeowners Association) regulations.
To proceed with MTRs, it's crucial to carefully review the CC&R to ensure that leasing out a portion of the lot to tenants is permissible. This process requires a significant amount of effort. Lately, I've been constantly engaged in phone calls for the past 6 days, trying to obtain the necessary information. Unfortunately, some realtors don't respond to their phones, some HOAs have outdated contact numbers, and some CC&R documents are not up to date. It's quite frustrating, but I've been able to navigate through these challenges and gather accurate information for my clients.
I'm curious to know how you approach obtaining CC&R documents at scale. In my experience, this has been the most time-consuming and cumbersome aspect.
Correction MTR = Med Term Rentals
"Master Tenant Rentals" = auto-incorrect
We had success in summerlin with insurance company paying .. over a 24 month period we had 3 tenants fair market rent at the time was about 2200 or so non furnished.. we got 4100.00
I did not like the turnover so I put it up as furnished rental and got 3500 and its going into its second year with a superb tenant. so seems like a happy medium for us.. although we bought about 6 years ago or so for 270 put 100k into it so you can do the math no debt .. hoa 400 we pay utls. 200 or so.. so 600 a month out of the 3500.. tax's about 1500 a year ( got to love Vegas taxs ) value today right at 600k.. so lets say we net about 33k a year on 370k cash .. so not bad little under 10% COC with an outstanding tenant one of the best I have ever had.
PS given tenant quality we manage ourselves..
Hello Allen,
Last year, we conducted a study with a few clients and produced a white paper. If you would like a free copy of this white paper, please DM me.
Below are some of the results of our study:
Short-term rentals and mid-term rentals are fundamentally different. Short-term rentals mainly cater to vacationers. During difficult economic times, fewer people tend to take vacations. This is why many short-term rentals in Las Vegas were sold during the COVID-19 pandemic. In contrast, mid-term rentals are primarily driven by business necessity. For instance, there is currently a nursing shortage across the US, and traveling nurses help to alleviate it. Our research shows that traveling nurses usually start with a 13-week contract that may be extended. They require a place to live, which is why mid-term rentals are driven by necessity.
The primary consumers are traveling nurses. Hospitals with trauma care levels one and two and neonatal intensive care typically have the most traveling nurses. Properties should be within about 5 miles of such hospitals. However, the property must be in a safe location, which is sometimes further than 5 miles from the hospital. See the map below for trauma and neonatal intensive care hospitals.
There are two primary places to market furnished rentals, the MLS and sites like Furnished Finder. Our research showed that furnished properties rented through the MLS have a $.60/SF to $.70/SF incremental rent above non-furnished long-term rentals. On Furnished Finder, the incremental rent appears to be about $1.20/SF.Having a property manager to handle mid-term rentals is crucial. The property manager we work with offers reasonable rates for this service and will take care of inventory management, leasing, maintenance, and overall property management.
Always buy a property that would also be a good long-term rental. You need the backup option in case the mid-term rental market changes.
Minimizing turn costs and downtime is critical. This requires the right renovation components and speedy make-ready after a tenant departs. A renovation company that has already completed over 350 renovations for us will quickly do whatever touchups/repairs are necessary so we can get the property back on the market.
Use electronics to control access and reduce turnover time. For example, the garage door must be remotely controlled so:
Minimizing vacancy is critical. We believe the best way to do this is:
This is a summary of the study. If anyone is interested, DM me for the complete study.
...Eric
@Zen Lenon, I'm not dealing with HOA's at scale but I agree that MTR owners need to check their HOA rules to make sure the strategy works for them. The property we'll be managing in Spring Valley is part of an HOA and requires 60 day minimum stays. That's not ideal but it's manageable with travel nurses and other MTR tenants we'll be targetting.
Thanks for the data @Eric Fernwood. We've learned many of these similar points first hand managing MTRs at scale. We're new in Las Vegas but we have 21 doors in Los Angeles.
Hello @Allen Duan,
Last year, we conducted a study with a few clients and produced a white paper. If you would like a free copy of this white paper, please DM me.
Below are some of the results of our study:
Short-term rentals and mid-term rentals are fundamentally different. Short-term rentals mainly cater to vacationers. During difficult economic times, fewer people tend to take vacations. This is why many short-term rentals in Las Vegas were sold during the COVID-19 pandemic. In contrast, mid-term rentals are primarily driven by business necessity. For instance, there is currently a nursing shortage across the US, and traveling nurses help to alleviate it. Our research shows that traveling nurses usually start with a 13-week contract that may be extended. They require a place to live, which is why mid-term rentals are driven by necessity.
The primary consumers are traveling nurses. Hospitals with trauma care levels one and two and neonatal intensive care typically have the most traveling nurses. Properties should be within about 5 miles of such hospitals. However, the property must be in a safe location, which is sometimes further than 5 miles from the hospital. See the map below for trauma and neonatal intensive care hospitals.
There are two primary places to market furnished rentals, the MLS and sites like Furnished Finder. Our research showed that furnished properties rented through the MLS have a $.60/SF to $.70/SF incremental rent above non-furnished long-term rentals. On Furnished Finder, the incremental rent appears to be about $1.20/SF.
Having a property manager to handle mid-term rentals is crucial. The property manager we work with offers reasonable rates for this service and will take care of inventory management, leasing, maintenance, and overall property management.
Always buy a property that would also be a good long-term rental. You need the backup option in case the mid-term rental market changes.
Minimizing turn costs and downtime is critical. This requires the right renovation components and speedy make-ready after a tenant departs. A renovation company that has already completed over 350 renovations for us will quickly do whatever touchups/repairs are necessary so we can get the property back on the market.
Use electronics to control access and reduce turnover time. For example, the garage door must be remotely controlled so:
Minimizing vacancy is critical. We believe the best way to do this is:
This is a summary of the study. If anyone is interested, DM me for the complete study.

I’m in Vegas
@Allen Duan
I’m in Vegas
@Allen Duan
Hey Allen,
Merry Christmas Eve!
Do you offer property management for out-of-state investors in the Las Vegas market? They are MTR investors. Or if you know of property managers who specialize in MTR, can you connect me, please? Here's more context.
I have close to 30 units which are all doing MTR and are managed by us. Many of those properties were build by my team for investors. Let me know when you have questions or need anything.
Hi @Allen Duan
Considering turning one of my properties into a MTR. Would love to connect. I'll shoot you a DM.
Hi Allen,
Would love to connect and learn more! Just purchased a property in Las Vegas and wanting to jump into MTRs.
Happy to connect and share! Send me a DM
We're onboarding a new MTR in Spring Valley we will be managing and, this being our first property in Las Vegas, I'm looking to connect with anyone who does MTRs already or is interested in learning about MTRs. For anyone wanting to learn, we have opportunities to work with us and learn the ins and outs of how to to set up and run MTRs at scale.
Post here or DM me and I'd love to connect.
Thank you all!
Absolutely! What are you doing for those who want to learn and how can I get involved?!
We're onboarding a new MTR in Spring Valley we will be managing and, this being our first property in Las Vegas, I'm looking to connect with anyone who does MTRs already or is interested in learning about MTRs. For anyone wanting to learn, we have opportunities to work with us and learn the ins and outs of how to to set up and run MTRs at scale.
Post here or DM me and I'd love to connect.
Thank you all!
Absolutely! What are you doing for those who want to learn and how can I get involved?!
Hi Stephen, I'll send you a DM. Thanks for reaching out!
Hi
I’m interested. I live in Las Vegas. Sorry I’m late to the game on this but…….
We currently do strs and one mtr in another state and we’ve done ltrs here.
It’d be nice to meet others. :)
Beth
I am in the same position. I have a LTR in Vegas but looking to buy a property for MTR. I do not live in Vegas. Would love to connect?
Cindy
I am in the same position. I have a LTR in Vegas but looking to buy a property for MTR. I do not live in Vegas. Would love to connect?
Cindy