When times are hard and you need money IMMEDIATELY like right at that very moment and you have no where and no one else to turn to get that money, where do you get money to get you out of a bad situation? Wholesaling is said to be the way to get make fast cash. Is there truth to this? You don't have time to wait on a paycheck from a 9 to 5 two weeks from now. If not wholesaling, what other way is there to get money instantly when you have zero options available at that very moment? Huge debts are due now with no second chances to work out a payment agreement. Any options?
Well, Antonio, seems the 287 posts I've answered for you were in vein.
Stop stammering about an instant solution, there isn't one, if a creditor isn't chasing you with a ball bat just settle down and bear down.
You really like RE or is it that it seems RE is an easy solution to your financial problems? If you really want to work in RE....
Go to a large RE brokerage, walk in and tell them of your interest and that you really need immediate work. Offer to go pick up signs, set out signs, shovel snow off a walk for an open house, collect trash out of some yard just listed, what ever grunt work they might have for some money at the end of the day. Agents will usually have something, errands if nothing else. Some contractors are often around an office, clean up a construction site!
You know more about RE than most people off the street, so get around those in the business and let them know what you know in a tactful manner, you might display your knowledge by asking questions, you're good at that.
If there isn't anything, show up the next day and keep showing up until they break, they understand they can't get rid of you and they send you out on some work! Get there when they unlock the door and leave when it gets locked. Or, as much as you can with your other job.
You're burning up time on your computer and on this site when you need to be productive doing what you can do to provide for your family, I'd say that's more important than trying to pick our brains on how to make a million or two.
Talk to your creditors, do not avoid them, tell them the truth, if you don't have the money, tell them you intend to pay but don't make any promise you can't keep! They will be more reasonable if there is communication and you're being honest.
You're not making a dime sitting there posting, go to work!
Consider that a swift kick in the a$$. Settle down, it's not the end! :)
So much solid advice from those who are actually creating success for themselves. It can only be received if you're willing to hear it. Seems to me you're asking something you already know the answer to.
Even the gurus who now mooch off others worked extremely hard to get where they're at as @Jon Holdman mentions even those who do find success in their programs are very few in numbers and compiled together. Next time you watch one of those get rich quick infomercials look for the small print at the bottom of the screen that says something along the lines of, "Results not typical".
REI is a numbers game. Persistence is synonymous for success with regards to REI (and many other life goals, for that matter).
If you can't instantly make cash, what's the next best thing you can do? SAVE!
In other words, live within your means.
Do things like sell the car, take the bus or ride a bike, sell the home and/or move to a facility with lower rent, cut the cable/internet (use the public library) and this even includes letting others carry their own burden for a season. The question you need to ask yourself if you're morally struggling with this is, "How can you help others if you don't have the means to help yourself?" Focus on your development so you can help others with a firm foundation.
Do this in the hopes you can live within your means, save what you can, and if this doesn't drive you to success, I'm afraid nothing will.
Wish you the best.
@Jonathan Jimenez I can only sell what I own. I don't own any of those things you mentioned. I have over $3k already saved up and more coming in when I get my income tax. But that money is only a down payment on a future home. I like making money sooner than later and even though my work schedule is very tight during the week. I don't want to wait to make extra money on my day off a week later. For me this means I need to make money at night. But doing what at night?
If you will wake up tomorrow morning and read chapter two from the book, "The Magic of Thinking Big" , and you will read this same chapter just before you go to sleep at night and you continue this reading of chapter two from this fabulous book for thirty days, at the end of thirty days most of your problems will be solved.
Do you own a TV? sell it today.
Do you make car payments? Sell this car today.
Are you still in bed after 5 AM.? Get up and start studying something that will make you money.
Do you have a smart phone that creates a monthly obligation? Get rid of it unless it makes you money.
Get money coming in . Stop money from going out.
I presume. that you don't really want a solution to your problem. Am I right?
Do you have a blog that earns you money? When would be a good time to start that?
You have received a huge amount of valuable, insightful advice. If I were in your shoes, I'd stop talking and thinking about all the reasons why you can't. I would determine today to begin to apply the most well suited advice. I'd set objectives for what I ABSOLUTELY WILL accomplish before I go to bed tonight. I'd repeat the determination daily until I was out of the hole. Do it, Antonio! Get to work. No more talking. Do!
Take a couple minutes at the end of the day today to report back, what you've done. Go, win.
When I was first starting out and was broke, I mowed lawns and did landscaping for people, the overhead is low, its mostly labor, I went door to door and just asked people and then undercut whoever was doing it for them. You can do it on your own time frame, (as long at it gets done on time), and most of the time you can get paid on the spot if needed. Believe me the money ads up and you can find yourself putting hundreds of dollars cash in your pocket for only a few days work, like real estate you can make as much or as little as you want to. My lawn business started as a way to make some extra money on the side for me when I was 16, then It got bigger as I needed to pay for the bigger equipment that I bought, to this day I still have my little mowing business with most of the clients that I started with, it's totally hands off and makes enough for me that its worth staying with now even though its a miniscule part of my income. Just an idea for you. Don't laugh at the guy that mows your lawn or cleans your pool, there's money there for sure, and Its quick money with little overhead. Just do a better job than the next guy and you'll always be busy. Then you'll have equipment to take care of your own properties.
My two cents...
Sean K
I know that others have mentioned Dave Ramsey. I'm a big fan of his. You can listen to his show online and his book, "The Total Money Makeover", is very good. He lists seven baby steps to get wealthy. It's a very simple straighforward process.
As for right now, you have an income crisis. Working at Walmart is just treading water. You need a better paying full time job along with a couple part time jobs. If you're awake, you should be earning. If you want to leave the house, the best place to go is work. The only time you should be inside a restaurant is if you're working there. You might want to get a solid full time job (not Walmart) and then have a self employed side income. It could be doing handyman type work, power washing, fixing stuff, or whatever skill set you have that will pay nicely.
Not trying to be a jerk here, but it's time to man up, stop whining about your problems, and get out there and hustle. Make it happen.
These are some nice tips. I could use passive income now. Yes Walmart offer us discount cards as cheap as they are they do offer that. I can't believe I was watching this video of some guy saying Wal-Mart cannot afford to pay hourly employees higher wages like $15/hr. That was upsetting to hear. I get paid every two weeks and my checks are pretty low for two weeks worth of work. You can earn what I make in one week. Riding a bike? I have to get to work everyday. That's a lot of pedaling for a long long long time. I live no where near the area I work in. I can't sell a tv I don't own. I remember wanting to join the navy but not until a few two or so years ago. I can't join the military due to my health. I wish I had free time in my work schedule to do other things to make money. They have me working all day from morning to night. It's tough because I don't have much in between time between me getting ready for work and leaving for work. Then when I get home it be later that night. Not much legitimate business I can do at night after business hours to make some extra income.
I haven't read this whole thread, but the few comments by other posters and your responses that I did read are all the same; I can't. I don't. I won't.
A good start for you might be to stop focusing on the negative and look for the positive. I spent a lot of time putting that post together and you just blew all of it out of the water. Do you think that makes me want to help you more or less?
You've received a LOT of helpful information, and I do see a few times you mentioned your schedule is not flexible enough, or is inconsistent in order to get a second job.
What I would suggest (especially since you work at Walmart and can get a discount on these products, even if it's only 10%), you should buy some cleaning supplies; go to Vistaprint.com and order their free business cards (they do an introductory order sometimes for free for 200 cards). Have your business card printed with simple contact information and call yourself a handy-man; commercial building cleaner, whatever you want and just pound the pavement to small businesses and commercial buildings to offer to clean their businesses.
Offer to do it for $10 an hour with a 2 hour minimum. Most of the time they are flexible with when you come in to clean, as long as you come in everyday (or whatever your contract would say). Let them know the $10 an hour is an introductory price to see if they like your work, and if so, after 30 days it goes to $15 an hour. That way, you'd be getting a raise. You can find a simple contract for this type of work on line (for free), or you can buy some online contracts (for a small price), or you can go to Staples or Office Depot and buy a book of contracts too. This is a small expenditure of money, and it's flexible so you can work around your schedule.
Also you may want to look into:
If you did just those few bullet-pointed items during a week, you would see an increase of $100-200 a month; it may not sound like a lot of money, but that's an additional $1,200-$2,400 in a year.
Good luck, and I hope you do some of these things that people have so generously taken the time out of their busy schedules in an effort to give you very reasonable suggestions to increase your intake of money.
I would also study Selling and Persuasion.
Go find this book for used price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0446692743/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=
If you can sell and persuade, you are truly rich and valuable.
Right now you are a bill to Wall Mart, very replaceable, very low barrier to entry.
Do you own a TV? sell it today.
Do you make car payments? Sell this car today.
Are you still in bed after 5 AM.? Get up and start studying something that will make you money.
Do you have a smart phone that creates a monthly obligation? Get rid of it unless it makes you money.
Get money coming in . Stop money from going out.
I presume. that you don't really want a solution to your problem. Am I right?
Do you have a blog that earns you money? When would be a good time to start that?
I presume. that you don't really want a solution to your problem. Am I right? Wrong
Do you have a blog that earns you money? When would be a good time to start that? I wrote a blog somewhere long ago. I haven't made any money on it, but it was worth a shot.
Do you have a smart phone that creates a monthly obligation? No
If you will wake up tomorrow morning and read chapter two from the book, "The Magic of Thinking Big" , and you will read this same chapter just before you go to sleep at night and you continue this reading of chapter two from this fabulous book for thirty days, at the end of thirty days most of your problems will be solved. Really?
Go find this book for used price:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/0446692743/ref=tmm_pap_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&sr=&qid=
If you can sell and persuade, you are truly rich and valuable.
Right now you are a bill to Wall Mart, very replaceable, very low barrier to entry.
Now we're talking. I am not the persuasive type, but hopefully this will pay off. I already know I am replaceable to any employer.
My two cents...
Sean K
I'm not laughing at the guy who mows lawns. I am curious about something. How is your lawn mowing business working out on the days when it's cold and raining?
As for right now, you have an income crisis. Working at Walmart is just treading water. You need a better paying full time job along with a couple part time jobs. If you're awake, you should be earning. If you want to leave the house, the best place to go is work. The only time you should be inside a restaurant is if you're working there. You might want to get a solid full time job (not Walmart) and then have a self employed side income. It could be doing handyman type work, power washing, fixing stuff, or whatever skill set you have that will pay nicely.
Not trying to be a jerk here, but it's time to man up, stop whining about your problems, and get out there and hustle. Make it happen.
You telling me stuff I have known and have been working at for sometime now. I never wanted to work at Walmart to begin with and nearly turned down this job the day it was offered to me. But it was either take a paycheck even it is at Walmart or stay unemployed for a lot longer than I did before I got this job. I was counting on a better job offer working in a hospital. Once that job did not come through like I was hoping for, I had to take what I could get at Walmart. I only got the job at Walmart because one of my relatives got me that job years ago. Believe me or not doesn't matter to me. I have been looking for better jobs and I mean stable secure higher paying jobs than Walmart. Aside from my full-time job I tried to the self employed thing too offering the skills related to my degree. I'm not making money off that yet.
I haven't read this whole thread, but the few comments by other posters and your responses that I did read are all the same; I can't. I don't. I won't.
A good start for you might be to stop focusing on the negative and look for the positive. I spent a lot of time putting that post together and you just blew all of it out of the water. Do you think that makes me want to help you more or less?
Look. Don't get me wrong here. I appreciate that post you made. And yes I have and still am trying one of your methods you mentioned to get me out of this tough spot.
This is exactly what I'm talking about in my previous post! Who cares what happens when it is cold and rainy. Does that mean we should just all give up on our lawns? Gee, it rains out so to hell with car washes too! And why do laundry? I mean, your clothes are only going to get wet on the days you go out when it rains anyway? Hell, NO MORE BATHS FOR ME EITHER!!!!
I think you are in the situation you are in cuz your outlook on life is in the toilet.
I don't care if you respond or quote me. I won't be wasting my time on this thread any longer. Good luck to you sir.
@Chanté Owens Yeah that is a LOT of helpful information. I am using some of those tips. I collect cans myself. You read it right. My schedule is extremely inconsistent to get a second job. This is why I want a new job where I can just quit Walmart altogether. I'd quit working for them now if I could. I didn't see anything mentioned about paying for a business licence. I keep reading different posts saying sell your car. If I do that, I couldn't look in to this money making opportunity to start a janitorial service now would I?
@Antonio Bodley
I was stationed in the panhandle of Florida and am quite familiar with parts of AL. Where are you located?
You still haven't stated your objective other than you're broke and need money fast. Are you expecting someone here to write you a check? Didn't you mention in an earlier thread that you have a down payment for a house saved up?
Like I mentioned in an earlier post, you need to square yourself away before you start a new venture. I mean that by mentally and financially. Nothing is easy in life and it takes sacrifice.
If you need cash - you have a ton of plantations and farms that could use a laborer in AL. Bartend/barback at a watering hole. That's cash in your pocket every night.
Real Estate Investing is not overnight, its not cheap, and it takes time.
You received a lot of great tips and advice from some BP veterans and I even took some mental notes on them. It seems that you're not open to anything or have a roadblock for everything that has been thrown at you. It's time to "fight or flight". I wish you the best, but it is time to get off the thread and do some soul searching.
@John Beck I live within the B'ham area. Who said anything about writing me a check? I'm not expecting that from anyone on here. Yes I did mention I have money saved up. Life is hard I get that. I haven't seen any plantations or farms where I'm at. I appreciate the advice they provided. Like I also mentioned, some of those tips they gave me are things I have done and still am doing. My biggest problem I noticed about me is I lack patience when I want something when I want it.
@Aaron Mazzrillo I am sorry if I got you all upset about the lawn business. I was only asking because I rarely see people in the landscaping business working in bad weather that will cause them to stop doing their work. I have seen this happen quite often.
I feel dumb for perpetuating this thread, as many have pointed out there has been great advise offered, some of it actual ways to better your position, and some was adjusting your attitude to better your position; really seems you want to hear neither.
My brother is the same, my dad and I constantly worked our contacts to get him great job and business opportunities, but the motivation to start or continue these were never there, but the want for nice things still was. Thus many wasted opportunities, and an outlook that there is no chance to better his position. Whereas my dad or I could have run with any of those opportunities and made them a success...it's attitude.
You say you are impatient, I say you lack proper motivation. everyone is impatient to a degree nowadays, those with motivation will channel that to put the steps in place to better their situation. Those who couldn't be bothered putting the effort in, go to internet forums and whine. Look at the lawn care, you worry about it raining, think about it like this: "If it rains people are definitely going to need my services, if it doesn't rain, maybe not" the rain is beneficial! With the right attitude.
Your attitude, fix it.
Andrew
Some people will trade hours for dollars for their entire life while complaining that the world is against them, they can never get ahead, or they just have bad luck.
Others will get up early, leave the cave, kill something, and drag it home.
Here's my answer the question about bad weather or off season in lawn care/landscaping.
If you listened to my Podcast, #46, you might remember I mowed lawns for a living before I bought my first house. I actually used lawn mowing money for the down payment on my first house. In spring and summer, I earned $200-$300 per day working by myself, and more with a helper or two.
On bad weather days, I'd catch up on my billing/accounting, and catch up on equipment maintenance. I'd still work in the rain, as long as the ground wasn't saturated.
In the off season, I trimmed trees, landscaped, did clean up, odd jobs, and sold firewood, which was very complimentary to the other work. I didn't make as much in November-February, but had saved up enough each season to be fine.
You folks are great. I wish I found BP a few years earlier. Several years ago I woke up in the middle of night in a panic wondering what I was going to do with my financial situation.
I thought of doing many things in my distraught state. I ended up attempting to trade forex and options but didn't work out as expected. I was looking for that quick $$ that I could draw from periodically; some times I did and some times I couldn't. I went through enough cash to pay for two houses.
It wasn't until at my ropes end that 'accidentally' got involved in SFRs. I could of saved alot of grief if I would of avoided the call to easy money of trading.
There is no quick and easy money when you're not prepared or in a distressed state. It wasn't until I got a clear mind and started doing something about it. You have to prepare for it. Don't expect Ed McMahon from American Family Publishers to come knocking on your door.
I remember reading a book many years ago. I think it was suggested here as well on BP; The Four Laws of Debt Free Prosperity
http://www.amazon.com/Laws-Financial-Prosperity-Control-Formerly/dp/1933976861/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1388943478&sr=1-4&keywords=four+laws
Paul Smith was in a situation similar to what I was in "I needed to find some money, or my life would be in shambles"
Consider this topic the start of something great; regardless of the situation or age.
Sean K
I'm not laughing at the guy who mows lawns. I am curious about something. How is your lawn mowing business working out on the days when it's cold and raining?
You work when you can, and if you can't because of weather, you get caught up as soon as you can roll. You will need to get comfortable working before the light of day is out, and well after the sun goes down. Also embrace working 7 days a week if thats what it takes. It all boils down to standing behind your word no matter what and doing whatever it takes to get the job at hand done. And when we're not landscaping in the summer, we're moving snow in the winter. Every little thing ads up. Put your head down, work your a$$ off all the time, don't waste time on things that don't make money and never stop. If you do this stuff when your young, you'll find your life get a little easier every day as you get older, and you will establish a great work ethic that will serve you and your children well. No more excuses, do whatever it takes.
Plus staying busy usually keeps you from spending money and time on stupid stuff. If you get a chance, closely watch a successfull person, you will learn alot.
Sean K
If you listened to my Podcast, #46, you might remember I mowed lawns for a living before I bought my first house. I actually used lawn mowing money for the down payment on my first house. In spring and summer, I earned $200-$300 per day working by myself, and more with a helper or two.
On bad weather days, I'd catch up on my billing/accounting, and catch up on equipment maintenance. I'd still work in the rain, as long as the ground wasn't saturated.
In the off season, I trimmed trees, landscaped, did clean up, odd jobs, and sold firewood, which was very complimentary to the other work. I didn't make as much in November-February, but had saved up enough each season to be fine.
Heck in the landscaping business, rain is a good thing. It means that you'll keep having a job mowing grass that grows, and you won't have to just go through the motions to get billable time :)