How to avoid the pissed off person calling about bandit signs?

How to avoid the pissed off person calling about bandit signs?

Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes

Hello,

So I get a call this am this guy claiming to be working for the city. He is completely lying pissed I put a few signs up. Telling me the whole deal it is illegal blah blah blah. I am nice but feel like telling him where to go. Anyone have suggestions on avoiding this type of call or is it all just part of the fun.

0Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Near San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 96 votes
11y

How can I stop the police from picking on me when I choose to drive over the speed limit?

See this reply in the discussion

84 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Boyd, TX · Member since 2014 · 688 posts · 467 votes
    11y

    Don't put signs on other people's property?  I know I get very pissed off with people that do that to me.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Yeah, don't put up illegal signs.  Nashua SPECIFICALLY forbids off-site real estate signs.

    When I see them on my travels, I pull them up and toss them in my dumpster.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Read and follow:  http://www.nashuanh.gov/filestorage/51/70/151/Broc...

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Groveland, FL · Member since 2012 · 504 posts · 395 votes
    11y

    Use your GOOGLE number

  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y
    You guys are not helping I'm looking for solutions not people that get pissed about the signs , read the post. I know the laws! I don't put them on anyone's land and you can't get to my signs unless u have a bucket truck so good luck with them going into dumpster. Anyone use google voice etc?
  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Thanks Joseph. My biggest marketing effort is to point people that I am local. So I am worried google voice will give the impression I am some company. Thoughts?

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    The solution is just what we told you.  Follow the law.  You are breaking the law, a law that is in place for a reason.  So yes, people will get upset about it.  Eventually, code enforcement will be involved for real.

    In the meantime, I have another name to add to my "people not to buy from" list.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    In areas with heavy sign ordinances it is just part of it.

    Frankly you will deal with a lot worse than that from owners if you are a wholesaler trying to get them to sell cheap or for a flip.

    Get ready to take a lot of abuse on a constant basis.

    Now you can get an auto call in number with a phone tree to try to weed out these callers but it is not foolproof.

    It seems like you are looking for a no hassle way to find deals and they do not exist. 

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    11y
    You can get local google voice numbers.
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Bandit signs many people tried them 8 to 10 years ago with some success. Now with crackdown and ordinances against them the bandit investors have to get creative. Yes you might stick them up high but it is still a violation for which the city can fine you and take to court if necessary.

    What some do is place signs outside city limits where a county might be more liberal in it's rules. Also some put out on the weekends and take down before the week so inspector doesn't see them.

    These days it seems there are many other better ways to find deals.   

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Groveland, FL · Member since 2012 · 504 posts · 395 votes
    11y

    Personalize your voicemail

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Additionally, if you are trying to build a reputation as, "the local guy" you might want to show some respect for the laws that your neighbors have chosen to enact.  I generally won't do business with people who have shown a willingness to ignore the rules.  How can I trust that you won't act unethically with me also?

  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I do not mind the hassle. I have dealt with plenty. I just do not come to this site to be hassled but looking for help.  I know the law I get it. Bottom line just looking to streamline and find solutions. There is nothing wrong with wanting to cut the abuse by 50%. Thank you to people looking to give help and solutions not cause more problems and negative antics

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    So you know the law, choose to ignore it (I notice you are not claiming that your signs are legal) but don't want "abuse" from people who think you should follow the law.

    Gotcha.  Good luck with that.

  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Richard I hear you. I see your point. I get it. Thank you for your time. 

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Joseph over the so many years there has been a big negativity toward using bandit signs anymore.

    You might want to try doing a search on this site as there are many archived discussions spanning years on them for pro's and con's.

    You might see who is actively still doing bandit signs for ideas to connect with them.  The voicemail and dedicated business number might cut down on the amount of heat coming your way.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    11y

    You asked the question about how to "avoid" the pissed off seller calling your bandit signs...

    You (illegally, mind you) posted a phone number in a public space on a sign that says who knows what and you ask how to "avoid" crazy/angry people calling you and then getting bent out of shape when the responses don't provide the "solutions you are looking for"? 

    Maybe someone can develop an app that provides bio-feedback and will send inbound callers with elevated blood pressure and/or heart rate to voicemail?  Of course, the real sociopaths have likely trained their bodies to remain calm under duress, so they are going to slip through the cracks. 

    @Richard C.  has, much to your chagrin, provided the best advice thus far.

  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    I like the app Idea that is some creative thinking. Please do not call above number is BP is above such and such. I am not bent out of shape. Just funny how many responses I have gotten on this and how people use the law for getting all righteous. Maybe I should have posted that in header of this thread. Please do not comment if posting bandit signs raises your bp or you have tendencies to get righteous. 

  • Investor · Near San Diego, CA · Member since 2012 · 176 posts · 96 votes
    11y

    How can I stop the police from picking on me when I choose to drive over the speed limit?

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jon A.:

    How can I stop the police from picking on me when I choose to drive over the speed limit?

     Right on.  I also hate how "righteous" the IRS gets when I don't pay my taxes.

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2014 · 266 posts · 240 votes
    11y

    @Joseph Theriault 

    I know that was a smart-*** reply, but I don't think anyone is going into 'self-righteous' territory regarding the use of bandit signs.  (IMO) They are the slimy used car salesman of the marketing world and never fail to elicit polarizing opinions here on BP.  Your callous response to the initial replies is what led me get wise with you.  Building respect over time (vs. guns blazing in your first 10 posts regarding one of the most polarizing topics on BP) goes a long way in generating a more favorable reply.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Hey everyone let's take a deep breath and cool off a little bit. I understand both sides of it.

    Sometimes regardless of what people are told they have to go through the process of self discovery and reaching their own conclusions about the effectiveness or NOT of certain techniques used for investing.

    The reason bandit signs are not talked about much these days is they have fallen out of favor in many parts of the country.

    In some areas there might be an ordinance against stationary signs but not moving ones or having a person hold a sign on a corner for so many hours etc. It ranges all across the board.

    I find these days direct mailing on a consistent basis and social media is far more effective.

  • Nashua, NH · Member since 2014 · 71 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    Your probably right Jeremy and I see your point. Hear you about the respect thing here. The thing that is funny though I hate putting those signs up. I was just left a profession of making thousands and thousands of weapons assualt weapons and handguns a day seriously. Which I had been doing for years and made plenty of money doing it. It was also very legal. So right now if I have to swallow it and post some bandit signs until I figure out what which of my marketing is going to work overtime for my business. I apologize ahead of time to people but I am going to do it. I was not trying to illicit hard feelings from people. Honestly thought I could come and get a question answered with couple solutions which I got. I wanted to steer the thread towards solutions not toward a debate on the signs. 

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    @Joseph Theriault Do you know why they're called 'bandit signs'?

    Because people are trying to receive a benefit (free signage advertising) at the expense of the community. 

    If you're in the real estate game to stay, you'll discover better, more sustainable ways to attract business (and miney) your way. 

    A bandit sign says, "I've just read so-and-so's book or taken Guru X's course and I'm going to be a big shot real estate investor (someday). But I've got to do this in the low light shades because I don't have enough time, money, exoerience or commitment to invest in real business marketing". In short, you don't do yourself any favors.

    Bandit signs are only one step above graphite tagging. 

    Find people who've been doing real estate investing full time for 10 years or more and find what they do. Or, if you like what you've been getting keep doing what you're doing.

  • Manhattan, NY · Member since 2012 · 44 posts · 31 votes
    11y

    I and 3 friends of mine respond to bandit signs and send them on wild goose chases to vacant properties I've researched for just this purpose.  It's a beautiful thing.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.