Wholesaler VS Realtor

Wholesaler VS Realtor

Lender · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 10 votes

Hello BP, I've been committed to real estate and creating my wholesale company for well over a year now. I have got my website ranked in top of google (doesn't mean much), I've created connections and networked within my local market (Tallahassee FL) attracting both cash buyers and motivated sellers. I have come really close to closing on a couple of deals, just to have them fall apart last minute. 

My question for you all is, should I continue on the wholesaling path or just get my realtor license and sell houses & create connections that way? Im good at selling and with people skills but I don't like the stereotype that comes with wholesaling. I feel like I could really succeed at being a realtor but I don't want to just quit on wholesaling when I have invested so much time and resources to it.

Thoughts?

1Reply
145 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
8y

@Taylor Dove Hey man just wanted to say good job on having the courage to do that and start your own business. Many people don't even get that far. You are now facing adversity which everyone does and this is what makes or breaks people in the beginning. I would first try and find and network with other wholesalers and see if you can find a mentor or friend to guide you or show you where you are going wrong. Two brains is always better than one and it is really helpful to always have someone to go to for advice or help. I personally don't really think being an agent is that beneficial, but that's just my opinion. Both being a realtor and being a wholesaler are much harder than most people think and most that start or think of doing it don't actually make it. Stay strong and surround yourself with people that help motivate, push and guide you my friend! Good luck and whatever you do man don't give up.

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    How are you attempting to wholesale? An even more important question is WHY give away tens of thousands of dollars instead of purchasing yourself and hold as rentals?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    one is as advertised  short term play ( wholesaling)   real estate is a life long career.

    I have been doing it 44 years now.... see how many wholesalers have been doing it 44 years.

    wholesaling to me is about the toughest and most risky thing to do in real estate.

    it works in areas that are basically sub prime and not served by the real estate brokerage community

    or in a market like 2010 when you had HUGE amounts of hangover inventory.. those days they be gone.

    I used to fund the largest turn key operator in orlando.. who bought from the largest wholesaler in the area.. and by the way they were also licesned as you need one in FLA to be legal.. they could not do the volume they did and break the law.. 

    well turn key is out of business and wholesaler folded up about 3 years ago.. simply not enough deals.. 

    so with all these guru's pitching the exact same thing. your competition from everyone who has a few grand to send out direct mail is huge.. and the deals are far and few between.. 

    But keep in mind selling real estate is not easy either 50% burn out rate.. wholesaling 97% burn out rate.

    Buy and hold is good if you have income from a JOB..

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW, TX · Member since 2013 · 953 posts · 910 votes
    8y

    You could do both. If your marketing is reaching people and working don't give up on it. But a home lead that doesn't work as a wholesale deal could work for a MLS sale and vice versa. It is about finding the best route for all parties involved. Making Win Win situations. But you would have to start selling houses with your license just to pay for the fees and CE. It is not cheap being a Realtor and most fail at it. It takes several years to get going profitably as an agent so if you are mentally prepared for it then go for it.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2017 · 523 posts · 362 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Dove Hey man just wanted to say good job on having the courage to do that and start your own business. Many people don't even get that far. You are now facing adversity which everyone does and this is what makes or breaks people in the beginning. I would first try and find and network with other wholesalers and see if you can find a mentor or friend to guide you or show you where you are going wrong. Two brains is always better than one and it is really helpful to always have someone to go to for advice or help. I personally don't really think being an agent is that beneficial, but that's just my opinion. Both being a realtor and being a wholesaler are much harder than most people think and most that start or think of doing it don't actually make it. Stay strong and surround yourself with people that help motivate, push and guide you my friend! Good luck and whatever you do man don't give up.

  • Specialist · Branford, CT · Member since 2018 · 222 posts · 121 votes
    8y

    Taylor, have you considered a direct mail campaign to get more leads? Working with a broker you can mix a couple segments so you don't have all your eggs in one basket. You might try Absentee Homeowners with equity, and add in Senior Homeowners with Low Financial Stability Scores (FSS).

  • Lender · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Chrissy Parsons thanks for the response! I have sent out a few hundred mailers. Mainly of properties with specific code violations. Are you saying that brokers have the access to absentee homeowners w/ equity and FSS? 

    Is there any websites I could use to find that info on my own? 

  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    I suggest you expand your horizon to get a broker license.  It allows you to legally solicite but there are more rules and styles one needs to follow.

  • Lender · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @John Thedford are you asking how I’m acquiring leads or how I go about assigning contracts? 

    If the right deal comes across my desk then I would absolutely purchase it for a rental property. Buy and hold is my main goal going forward, wholesaling is to get the cash necessary to purchase my first rental.  

    What are your thoughts on becoming a realtor? 

  • Lender · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Michael Guzik I really appreciate those words of encouragement and support. Can’t tell you how much that means, thanks for your input. Which ever path I take, I won’t stop till I create the lifestyle of my dreams through real estate. Thanks again for the response! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Dove:

    @John Thedford are you asking how I’m acquiring leads or how I go about assigning contracts? 

    If the right deal comes across my desk then I would absolutely purchase it for a rental property. Buy and hold is my main goal going forward, wholesaling is to get the cash necessary to purchase my first rental.  

    What are your thoughts on becoming a realtor? 

     Since you are already brokering, might as well get your license.

  • Real Estate Investor · Memphis, TN · Member since 2016 · 940 posts · 695 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Dove - We do both and I think the combo is powerful.  We are already putting in the time/money marketing and now have an additional exit strategy.  The key for us was finding a brokerage with an inexpensive fee base per transaction.

    Excited for your future!

  • Lender · Tallahassee, FL · Member since 2016 · 27 posts · 10 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks for the feedback! I listened to your podcast and really enjoyed it, I know you got licensed at 18. Is going the realtor path what you'd recommend doing? Considering my long term goal is buy and hold multifamily. Getting my broker license would open a lot more doors as well. 

    Real estate for me isn’t some get rich quick guru scheme. It’s career path and a lifestyle choice, I’m in it for the long haul and won’t stop till I create an empire to last generations. Thanks again for your input, look forward to talking more.  

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Dove - You have to stay persistent.  I've got a great wholesale partner that took her over a year to really gain some traction.  She adds value by going against the grain of the normal wholesaler.  She is very genuine and will do anything to just help the person get to where they are going.  If you take that approach and stay ultra persistent good things will be in your future

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Taylor Dove:

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks for the feedback! I listened to your podcast and really enjoyed it, I know you got licensed at 18. Is going the realtor path what you'd recommend doing? Considering my long term goal is buy and hold multifamily. Getting my broker license would open a lot more doors as well. 

    Real estate for me isn’t some get rich quick guru scheme. It’s career path and a lifestyle choice, I’m in it for the long haul and won’t stop till I create an empire to last generations. Thanks again for your input, look forward to talking more.  

    if it was me and it was really never my goal to be a big time landlord.. but if it was.. I would go work at that... 

    commercial brokerages that sell those properties work from the ground up... 

    wholesaling as its taught in my mind is highly regional as i stated. just does not work in a lot of markets i don't care what anyone says.. there is not enough distressed inventory  Hoarder homes etc etc to get consistent deal flow.. and it cost to much and takes to much time to create your leads.. 

    I was basically a wholesaler in my day in the Timber business.. we sold logs to mills.. we middlemanned it.. we owned no equipment we sub contracted all the logging.. and in some contracts we did % splits with mill and landowner putting up none of our own money.

    then the market got so hot that the Mills would front the money for the logs interest free. ( of course they would not do this for just anybody my partner was and is a known big time logger)... then my bank gave us a big 7 figure line of credit to buy timber.

    but what I did was just what you wholesalers do .. I went out and crated a custom data base of every single landowner with 10 acres or more of visible timber ( via aerial photography)  from the CA Oregon border to just south of Tacoma WA and from the top of the coast range to the top of the cascades.. literally 20,000 leads.... from that data base we had the reverse directory..  and we would telemarket our data base in an organized fashion.. create leads then we would go do a timber eval ( that's you meeting with a home owner) and then present our offer.. our competition was local gypo loggers and mills.. who were not this sophisticated.. and No one taught course how to do this.. I created it.. :)   but that all cost 6 figures to create.. but once created our average contract made a little less than 50k net profit per deal..   But there was no guru training thousands upon thousands of newbies who had a dream but did not know how to do it to be our competition.. and we only sent letters if we could not get them on the phone..

    so to me wholesaling is a version of this.. and most wholesale deals i see come through my office and i see them each and every week pay to wholesaler is 2 to 5k.. but some times i see them bigger.. so lot of work for small fee's in my mind.. and its most of the time different random wholesalers.. so the pie is being cut very very thin.

    Now real estate sales as a broker is the same TON of competition and you need one year of living expenses in the bank becasue it will take you that long to get money flowing at least. 

    then it becomes the person I have owned 3 RE brokerages in my day..  and so had probably 300 plus agents work for me.. and out of that 10 to 15 made really good to big money .. by that I mean 250k to 1 million a year.. next 20 or so did 100k to 150k.. the rest were less and plenty just enough to not have to get another job. 

    so it becomes how good are you at your craft.. desire is all well and good we all dream big.. I want a 50 million dollar G 5  for instance.. 

    but had to settle for a little Cirrus sr 22  .

    so find your strengths not every one is cut out to be a uber salesmen.. and wholesaling is about as tough as it comes.. its a combination of all those things.. commercial real estate is less on sales and more on technical knowledge and stick to it ness.  but that's were the big money is.. and those are the guys who sell it.. so if that's what you want why waste all this time trying to hawk beat up SFRs and talk to people that are down and out.. when your selling MF your talking with millionaires and multi millionaires seems a better circle to be running in.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Daly City, CA · Member since 2018 · 50 posts · 11 votes
    8y
    This is basically what almost everyone on facebook ads is doing if you see those cool gadgets and toys (I also did this and it is a good steam of income). This method is called "drop shipping" where you never own the actual inventory and you are just the middle man. Customer buys the product from you, you use their money to buy the product from the supplier, and the supplier ships out the product to the customer. You never see the product and you don't hold any inventory cost. There are pros and cons to this business model.   


    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:
    Originally posted by @Taylor Dove:

    @Jay Hinrichs thanks for the feedback! I listened to your podcast and really enjoyed it, I know you got licensed at 18. Is going the realtor path what you'd recommend doing? Considering my long term goal is buy and hold multifamily. Getting my broker license would open a lot more doors as well. 

    Real estate for me isn’t some get rich quick guru scheme. It’s career path and a lifestyle choice, I’m in it for the long haul and won’t stop till I create an empire to last generations. Thanks again for your input, look forward to talking more.  

    if it was me and it was really never my goal to be a big time landlord.. but if it was.. I would go work at that... 

    commercial brokerages that sell those properties work from the ground up... 

    wholesaling as its taught in my mind is highly regional as i stated. just does not work in a lot of markets i don't care what anyone says.. there is not enough distressed inventory  Hoarder homes etc etc to get consistent deal flow.. and it cost to much and takes to much time to create your leads.. 

    I was basically a wholesaler in my day in the Timber business.. we sold logs to mills.. we middlemanned it.. we owned no equipment we sub contracted all the logging.. and in some contracts we did % splits with mill and landowner putting up none of our own money.

    then the market got so hot that the Mills would front the money for the logs interest free. ( of course they would not do this for just anybody my partner was and is a known big time logger)... then my bank gave us a big 7 figure line of credit to buy timber.

    but what I did was just what you wholesalers do .. I went out and crated a custom data base of every single landowner with 10 acres or more of visible timber ( via aerial photography)  from the CA Oregon border to just south of Tacoma WA and from the top of the coast range to the top of the cascades.. literally 20,000 leads.... from that data base we had the reverse directory..  and we would telemarket our data base in an organized fashion.. create leads then we would go do a timber eval ( that's you meeting with a home owner) and then present our offer.. our competition was local gypo loggers and mills.. who were not this sophisticated.. and No one taught course how to do this.. I created it.. :)   but that all cost 6 figures to create.. but once created our average contract made a little less than 50k net profit per deal..   But there was no guru training thousands upon thousands of newbies who had a dream but did not know how to do it to be our competition.. and we only sent letters if we could not get them on the phone..

    so to me wholesaling is a version of this.. and most wholesale deals i see come through my office and i see them each and every week pay to wholesaler is 2 to 5k.. but some times i see them bigger.. so lot of work for small fee's in my mind.. and its most of the time different random wholesalers.. so the pie is being cut very very thin.

    Now real estate sales as a broker is the same TON of competition and you need one year of living expenses in the bank becasue it will take you that long to get money flowing at least. 

    then it becomes the person I have owned 3 RE brokerages in my day..  and so had probably 300 plus agents work for me.. and out of that 10 to 15 made really good to big money .. by that I mean 250k to 1 million a year.. next 20 or so did 100k to 150k.. the rest were less and plenty just enough to not have to get another job. 

    so it becomes how good are you at your craft.. desire is all well and good we all dream big.. I want a 50 million dollar G 5  for instance.. 

    but had to settle for a little Cirrus sr 22  .

    so find your strengths not every one is cut out to be a uber salesmen.. and wholesaling is about as tough as it comes.. its a combination of all those things.. commercial real estate is less on sales and more on technical knowledge and stick to it ness.  but that's were the big money is.. and those are the guys who sell it.. so if that's what you want why waste all this time trying to hawk beat up SFRs and talk to people that are down and out.. when your selling MF your talking with millionaires and multi millionaires seems a better circle to be running in.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Jonathan Tang  little more to it in the timber business lest you buy a christmas tree farm..

    its not like looking in a catalog :)  but either way that was the concept.

    we made 500k on deals that we put no money into.. all in 90 days.. but that was when the J log  

    Japanese grade log  was selling for 1200 a MBF  it crashed along with the japanese economy 

    so its not what it was.. but its come back strong on the domestic side with all this building and 

    natural disasters  CA fires  and Houston flood.. although the flood is more a boon to sheetrock companies

  • Real Estate Agent · Olympia, WA · Member since 2016 · 47 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @Taylor Dove I think your question is very interesting, personally, because I just got my license this year and am going to switch from a VERY reliable (but very low paying) job the world of real estate broker. From what I have heard and understand, @Jay Hinrichs is right on with the  numbers. If you want to survive as an agent, you had better be in the top 25% of the field of agents, as far as the quality of how you conduct your business. If you want to make good money, you had better be in the top 10% or less. With your experience marketing, you are partly there. After reading a lot of books I think real estate agency is just like many other industries, it really depends on your marketing first, and then your particular business skills second. I also agree with Jay that there are a TON of wholesalers right now, and almost no deals (at least in our NW market). At the local REI meetups, 9 out of 10 people say they are new to REI and want to get into wholesaling first and then maybe buy-and-holds. I would look for a good paying job that will let you invest in real estate. That might be acting as an agent, but wholesaling sounds way too hard right now.

    I'd be curious what percentage of wholesalers have been in business for more than 10 years. There's always lots of agents (most of which don't make much money). But, that's because there's always homes to sell on the MLS, and the bar to entry is really low. That's not always the case with large numbers of distressed properties.

  • Katy, TX · Member since 2017 · 372 posts · 140 votes
    8y
    Hello! Do both! Top Realtors in my area are doing both with the promise of listing, if it doesn’t sell in 30-45 days they’ll “buy it”. They are wholesaling and/or JVing with end buyers. Either list it and get paid, wholesale it and get paid, JV with your favorite buyer and build a portfolio... I’m doing one now, I’ll be doing all 3 by the end of September
  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I would find OPM...get licensed, and when you get leads approach them this way: offer to list at "x" or buy at ""y" with enough spread to make a hefty profit as a buy and hold. You might be surprised to find people that will take the "sell it now" price for tens of thousands less because they just want it gone. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2010 · 476 posts · 305 votes
    8y
    I started my career wholesaling. However most of those deals you make $3-$5k. You can make that as an agent and more. Plus you have no risk. You probably wont have an issue finding a retail buyer for your listing. And you can list way more homes than you can wholesaling. There are far more sellers out there that want retail then those that will sell at a discount. I think being a realtor is profitable personally.
  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Wholesaling is not a sustainable model in most major markets anymore. Neither is flipping is many cases for those who aren't very good. This is why most of my competitors who wanted in are now selling coaching or services. They couldn't cut it and need to generate income somehow. Selling a dream is profitable but not real. These are the folks telling you to wholesale, buy their course, mentorship or marketing services. Doesn't anyone ever wonder why they aren't doing this themselves if its such a profitable and sustainable model? 

    I used to wholesale 10-15 houses a year in Socal. Now I'm lucky if I get 3-6 deals a year, and I flip them because I'd be out of business just trying to wholesale. I checked my ego a year ago and passed the state real estate exam. I chose not to activate my license as I found flipping to be profitable and I have rental income to keep me afloat should it get slow (and it does get slow at times). I updated my resume for the first time this year, just in case. 


    Would you take stock tips from 5 years ago? Probably not. Same applies to real estate strategies, some advice holds true regardless of market conditions and some will wreck you if followed at the wrong time in the cycle. I was interviewed in 2013 on the BP podcast about wholesaling and direct mail. People message me daily telling me they are following my strategy, I cringe. That is 5 year old marketing advice, very little if any applies today. Part of me wishes they'd delete that podcast or include a disclaimer that the marketing advice given no longer applies in today's market conditions. It feels a little wreckless that BP doesn't flag this info as 5 YEARS OLD.

    5 years ago, flippers didn't do direct mail. There was an abundance of deals, they went MLS or bought from wholesalers. As the market tightened, they got into direct mail. You're competing against the person you want to sell the deal to. How are you going to fit your markup in there? You won't.

    If a 100 leads come in from marketing today, 1-2 might be a potential wholesale.  You will be competing with flippers to buy (who don't need to create a margin for a wholesale profit) so they can offer more than you. Also the MAJORITY of the seller leads that actually want to sell their home are retail leads. They want a higher price, the home can be financed and is move in ready. Congratulations you've just spent a ton of money to speak with retail leads you can't do anything with if you're not an agent. Were you were licensed you could offer to list and sell their home, test the market and see if the price they think its worth works. You now have a chance to earn a commission from the majority of your leads. This is simple math. 

    Want to dig in a try to only wholesale, you can try to make a low offer, whiff the deal and have a pile of retail leads sitting in your lap that you can't do a damn thing with. Wholesaling right now is the strategy to go broke on marketing while still talking to fantastic leads you can't do anything with because you aren't offering value to the seller in most cases. Guess who is getting paid, the coaches, mentors & marketing service.

    Those that got rich during the gold rush were the folks selling shovels and spades. Remember that.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Tim G.  you stole my gold rush line I have been saying that for 4 years on BP.. but your free to use it.. however that was one of the best post.. by someone who actually has lived it.

    real estate morphs or cycles. what we were doing 5 to 10 years ago we are not doing today.

    and what we are doing today we wont do in another 10  years.

    I will take it further .. to say even in our markets rehab is VERY tough so about 5 years ago I got into new construction as a lender in possession.. and did  a few then a few more then decided heck as a lender I take all the risk anyway.. so I mine as well do it myself.

    so other than our day job of lower value fundings for rental purposes.. we are leaving the retail fix and flip space and will concentrate on new construction.

    less competition in what we do.. as you can't be a beginner not possible to do this without a lot of wherewithal..  and profits are easier to judge as the budgets are much easier to follow and the biggee is the sub trades are professionals they can carry a tune or a job for 45 days.. pay them once a month.

    In my day job of funding rental houses for rental house flippers that is still going strong and getting stronger.. as everyone wants to buy and hold.. so I like that space.

    and wholesaling as I said in those rental areas is more viable.. simply because these are low value assets that are over looked by the real estate community.. its one thing to be an OREO agent and sell them but to work with the public as an agent not to exciting.

    anyway your POST I am going to vote as by far the best of all of April and all would be wholesalers should read it.. again legalities all aside.. just as a business model.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Tim G.  you stole my gold rush line I have been saying that for 4 years on BP.. but your free to use it.. however that was one of the best post.. by someone who actually has lived it.

    real estate morphs or cycles. what we were doing 5 to 10 years ago we are not doing today.

    and what we are doing today we wont do in another 10  years.

    I will take it further .. to say even in our markets rehab is VERY tough so about 5 years ago I got into new construction as a lender in possession.. and did  a few then a few more then decided heck as a lender I take all the risk anyway.. so I mine as well do it myself.

    so other than our day job of lower value fundings for rental purposes.. we are leaving the retail fix and flip space and will concentrate on new construction.

    less competition in what we do.. as you can't be a beginner not possible to do this without a lot of wherewithal..  and profits are easier to judge as the budgets are much easier to follow and the biggee is the sub trades are professionals they can carry a tune or a job for 45 days.. pay them once a month.

    In my day job of funding rental houses for rental house flippers that is still going strong and getting stronger.. as everyone wants to buy and hold.. so I like that space.

    and wholesaling as I said in those rental areas is more viable.. simply because these are low value assets that are over looked by the real estate community.. its one thing to be an OREO agent and sell them but to work with the public as an agent not to exciting.

    anyway your POST I am going to vote as by far the best of all of April and all would be wholesalers should read it.. again legalities all aside.. just as a business model.

    Thanks Jay, for those reading. It should be know that Jay and I haven't agreed on a lot when it came to wholesaling in the past. As I've matured and watched my business evolve to the market, his points make more and more sense.

    I hate to throw shade but Bigger Pockets is an offender of this too, telling people they should pay for the PRO membership as OP has is questionable, sure its cheaper than a $30k fortune builders mentorship but its just as unnecessary. 

    When it is time to start, a prioritization of funds is necessary. This is a hard business to get into, services that make you feel like an investor are very different than services that increase your odds of being an investor. If it doesn't drive leads its a non essential item at the start. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    @Tim G.  I am a pro to support the site I see it as giving back.

    I agree with you for those on a very tight budget any type of monetary expenditure should be scrutinized. 

    Any way happy Sunday.. !!

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 54 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    @Jay Hinrichs I one hundred percent agree with you Jay in the fact that wholesaling is completely regional.  It most certainly doesn't work in a lot of places around the country..... but it sure does here in Texas! :)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.