My YellowLetter. Please critique

My YellowLetter. Please critique

Gilbert, AZ · Member since 2013 · 48 posts · 6 votes

So, I have made my own Yellow Letters and have sent out about 200 thus far int he past week. Standard white #10 envelope with handwritten font on the front in red, same font used on the letter. Small return label with same red ink and very small font (same kind) used on the back to seal the envelope at the point of the flap. Paper is 20# legal yellow paper torn from legal pads. Standard 1st class stamp used.

So...thoughts? Input? Advice? My first batch of 100 last week got 2 calls...both from people saying "take me off your list" which is no big deal. However nothing much else. I plan to use Michael's letters after my first deal when I have enough spare cash to do it. I received the samples from him (as well as the green "I Buy Houses" bracelet...which I admit I wear lol). He has a great quality product and has it down to a science from what I can tell. Anywho...any input or advice from the seasoned folks would be greatly appreciated!

Just picture the text on the yellow paper. I have it lined up properly so it looks handwritten. This is the same font used on the front of the envelope and on the return label on the back.

0Reply
62 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry PuckettPro Member
Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

Hi Jason Grosso
A couple of things jump out at me.
1) I don't like plain white #10 envelopes. When I write personal letters, that's not what I use. When I receive personal mail from family and friends, it's rarely the envelope of choice. So when I see the white # 10, I expect marketing, a bill, or some such. Add in the handwriting font and it simply screams marketing.

I use the smaller 3 x 6 envelopes with handwriting font for address and return address. Font combined with smaller envelope gets under the radar...I've had much praise on them and response rate.

2) I really don't like the "me and my wife" model. I find it to be a little too deceptive for my taste. While I do project myself as a guy looking to buy a house rather than an investor looking for a deal, I don't pretend to be home shopping. My copy is direct and to the point without the gimmicky dollar signs, although my call to action is clear.

One other thing to take note of....many times it takes more than one touch to get your phone ringing. One and done rarely cuts it. Rather, multiple mailings to the same list should yield better and better results...if your list is good.

Hope that helps.

See this reply in the discussion

35 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
    13y

    I'm not too worried about the font being different from the envelope to the mailer. If anything, I think it'll make it stand out even more. I could see a prospect wondering "what the heck?" and placing a call just to see what's up. If that happens, it works for me!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 205 posts · 112 votes
    13y

    @Seth Williams it sounds like you are getting an awesome response rate from your post cards. Awesome! What do they say and who are you mailing them to?

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    Hi @Lamar Cannon - thanks. I'll send you some info on the back end regarding my postcards (can't post links here).

    In most cases, I'm mailing to tax delinquent property owners. I'm reaching out to people who are dealing with a very specific, anxiety-inducing problem, and I'm addressing this exact issue in my direct mail piece (pointing out the problem, highlighting the consequences of their inaction, and offering them a solution that is simple and easy for them to accept).

    It helps to know exactly who you're targeting (whatever their issue is), because it allows you to put yourself in their shoes and tailor your mail piece to communicate directly to those issues (rather than writing a generic message that doesn't really speak to their actual problem).

  • Real Estate Entrepreneur · Winston-Salem, NC · Member since 2008 · 101 posts · 40 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Brandon Foken:
    Jason Grosso, correct. I am currently printing a "hand-written" font on the envelope. Response rate has been far from good so that's why I'm looking to change things up. I'm thinking of trying those large brown envelopes and writing the address in sharpie with a printed return label.

    Hey Brandon,

    Handwriting the letter and the envelope will DEFINITELY increase your response rate. No question. At the very least, handwrite the addressee on the envelope.

    Think about it - what do you do when you see a letter to you where someone used a handwritten font on the outside of the envelope? Personally, I toss it - it's junk mail. If you can tell it's fake, so can the recipient.

    Handwriting the outside of the envelope gets your letter opened. Handwriting the inside as well, gets more calls. No question.

  • Wholesaler · Miami, FL · Member since 2013 · 22 posts · 2 votes
    12y

    Yes use handwritten results are better and people won't think it is junk mail, and don't get too tied up on what color etc..Big thing is just to take action and learn as you go!

    I use Strawberie red envelopes especially around the holidays get's me some Good results!

    -John

  • Rental Property Investor · Fort Wayne, IN · Member since 2014 · 251 posts · 129 votes
    11y

    Just found this old thread, but it's GREAT!

    I'm curious - does anyone have suggestions for where to buy the smaller, colored invitation envelopes?  I can't seem to find a reasonable price.  Thx!

  • Wichita, KS · Member since 2013 · 235 posts · 46 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Drew Wiard:

    Just found this old thread, but it's GREAT!

    I'm curious - does anyone have suggestions for where to buy the smaller, colored invitation envelopes?  I can't seem to find a reasonable price.  Thx!

     I found some at Office Depot today actually. 13 bucks a piece for 50 assorted colors. 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Seth Williams:

    Just out of curiosity - why do people use letters in envelopes at all? Do these actually pull in a better response rate than a simple postcard?

    I've been using the very basic 4.25 x 6 yellow postcards (with plain, black ink) for almost all of my mailings for the past five years, and I don't think I've ever gotten a response rate of less than 5% (at least, none that I can remember). What kind of response rates are you all getting with letters?

    I keep reading about how everybody else is putting more into this than I am, which makes me feel like I must be missing something.

    Don't the "letters in envelopes" require more paper, ink and postage (i.e. - a higher cost) to hit the same number of people? It seems like you could mail to a much larger list for the same cost if you just used postcards (which in most cases, can't be thrown away without the recipient at least glancing at your message for a split second).

    School me! I'd love to hear some other perspectives on this.

     @Seth Williams 

    Who is your target audience? 

  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 27 posts · 5 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Seth Williams:

    Just out of curiosity - why do people use letters in envelopes at all? Do these actually pull in a better response rate than a simple postcard?

    I've been using the very basic 4.25 x 6 yellow postcards (with plain, black ink) for almost all of my mailings for the past five years, and I don't think I've ever gotten a response rate of less than 5% (at least, none that I can remember). What kind of response rates are you all getting with letters?

    I keep reading about how everybody else is putting more into this than I am, which makes me feel like I must be missing something.

    Don't the "letters in envelopes" require more paper, ink and postage (i.e. - a higher cost) to hit the same number of people? It seems like you could mail to a much larger list for the same cost if you just used postcards (which in most cases, can't be thrown away without the recipient at least glancing at your message for a split second).

    School me! I'd love to hear some other perspectives on this.

     @Seth Williams 

    Who is your target audience? 

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    10y

    @Nelly Licona - in most cases, my audience is tax delinquent property owners.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.