What prevents a buyer from circumventing wholesaler?

What prevents a buyer from circumventing wholesaler?

Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes

If I put a home under contract and intend to wholesale the property, what prevents an unscrupulous buyer from intentionally tying up the home, backing out of the purchase during the option at the last moment, and then buying it directly from the seller a short time later after it falls out of contract with the wholesaler?

If a buyer used the option period and backed out, it seems there is a good chance a wholesaler wouldn't have time to have another buyer purchase the home during the wholesaler's option period. In an event like that, couldn't the buyer purchase directly from the seller less the wholesale fee?

Other than getting a lousy reputation, what prevents a buyer of a wholesale deal from doing this?

0Reply
55 views

Most Popular Reply

Jerry PuckettPro Member
Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
13y

I require a pretty steep non refundable deposit from my buyers if I've never worked with them before. My assignment form spells out clearly that they are not to conspire with the seller, and that all communication goes through me. If they do back out for ANY reason, I've already gotten paid. The money isn't in escrow, it's in my pocket.

I have heard this fear as a recurrent theme from many a new wholesaler, but the fact of the matter is that if you're providing quality deals, your buyers will not want to burn their bridges with you. They'll want more deals. No one has ever gone around me, nor has it happened to any of my local colleagues. It's just not the norm.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Wholesaler · Mandeville, LA · Member since 2013 · 15 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    I am new to the wholesaling scene but I have heard of people clouding the title. I don't exactly know what this means but it should prevent them from getting clean title until they work it out with you.

  • Highland, IN · Member since 2012 · 253 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    Bill W., I think wholesalers commonly require an EM deposit, so in the event that the buyer does back out, the wholesaler will be able to keep the deposit money.

    Hopefully an experienced wholesaler will hop on this thread and expand upon this further.

  • Glen Allen, VA · Member since 2013 · 134 posts · 23 votes
    13y

    Would also like to know the answer to this.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Nothing can prevent someone from trying to go around you. Your contracts with both the seller and buyer are supposed to be binding. But if buyer goes so far as to enter into a contract with you, wait out a closing date AND then negotiate and new deal with the seller? That's what earnest money is for. Get your buyer's earnest money tied up in escrow. While it's difficult to keep earnest money, it will stay in escrow for a long time if both parties don't release it.

    I've heard lots of theories over the years about "clouding title". I've recorded a fair amount of agreements and contracts and leases. Since the docs need to be notarized in order to be recorded, it puts the seller on alert that I plan to record the docs and that I think the contract is binding. But recording a contract won't prevent the seller from selling to someone else if 1) the new buyer has cash and doesn't care about title insurance (and the buyer isn't afraid of being sued), 2) the end date in the contract passes, then the contract no longer clouds title, 3) title chooses to disregard recorded contract, lease or memorandum. Which I have seen them do.

    Best bet is make sure your seller understands and agrees that that your contract is binding, and make sure your buyer plans to perform by requiring max. earnest money.

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    13y

    In texas I file a memorandum of notice of contract (or something like that) every time i put a house under contract (wholesale or flip).

    This has saved me once. I had a house under contract, marketed the house and another investor went directly to the home owner to attempt to negotiate the deal. Homeowner called me and told me she didnt want to sell anymore and called me a criminal.

    About 5 days later i get a call from a different title co than the one i had opened title, asking what the memorandum meant. I informed them that it meant i had an equitable stake in the property, that it was under contract and i intended to close on it. Sent in a copy of the contract with a little note informing them that i was willing to take legal action against them should they attempt to close on the property.

    2 weeks later i get a call from the home owner who was very friendly this time wondering if we were still going to close that Friday, and i did.

  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I require a pretty steep non refundable deposit from my buyers if I've never worked with them before. My assignment form spells out clearly that they are not to conspire with the seller, and that all communication goes through me. If they do back out for ANY reason, I've already gotten paid. The money isn't in escrow, it's in my pocket.

    I have heard this fear as a recurrent theme from many a new wholesaler, but the fact of the matter is that if you're providing quality deals, your buyers will not want to burn their bridges with you. They'll want more deals. No one has ever gone around me, nor has it happened to any of my local colleagues. It's just not the norm.

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2009 · 171 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    All, thanks for the replies. I will require a large deposit and will look into a memorandum of notice of contract to help ensure nothing like that happens. I'll also include language in the assignment contract to protect me. Great advice, guys.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    13y

    The best way to keep a buyer from going around you is to build enough report with them where they won't want to deal with anyone else.

    I had a guy recently talk to my seller behind my back on a deal I was doing. I tell all my sellers that if anyone tires to contact you about the property to refer them to back to me to discuss price. When this guy talked to my seller the seller referred him back to me and I blacklisted him from my e-mail list.

    Also as Jerry stated we want to provide quality deals where our buyers will not want to burn their bridges. I will also add that you should only work with honest people who do honest business.

  • Specialist · Memphis, TN · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I have had this happen to me occasionally in New Zealand and the USA. Those people don't last so just move on to the next deal. They soon burn every relationship and go away :-)

  • Wholesaler · Lancaster, TX · Member since 2013 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    This was a great thread. @Sam Craven, I would love to see you do a blog post memorandum notice of contract.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Here is a good thread where this exact thing happened, a good read if you haven't seen it yet:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/83152

  • Jerry PuckettPro Member
    Wholesaler · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2010 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by James Vermillion:
    Here is a good thread where this exact thing happened, a good read if you haven't seen it yet:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/83152

    The difference being that in the thread cited, there was no contract

    In that thread, Braden C. expressed it best: NEVER market a property until it is under contract. It's not just smart, it's the law....you cannot market a property you do not have an equitable interest in if you are unlicensed.

    Just because this jack *** got the phone number, does not mean he is going to get the deal. I'd have gone to the owners and made my offer too.

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Jerry Puckett:
    Originally posted by James Vermillion:
    Here is a good thread where this exact thing happened, a good read if you haven't seen it yet:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/311/topics/83152

    The difference being that in the thread cited, there was no contract

    In that thread, Braden C. expressed it best: NEVER market a property until it is under contract. It's not just smart, it's the law....you cannot market a property you do not have an equitable interest in if you are unlicensed.

    Just because this jack *** got the phone number, does not mean he is going to get the deal. I'd have gone to the owners and made my offer too.


    You are right Jerry, there was not a contract in place in this instance. I guess that this the point I was getting at is the whole contract things is pretty important!
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 2 votes
    13y

    I use the method that Jerry Puckett mentioned and so far I have not had any issues.

    I willing be also looking into Sam Craven's suggestion.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2009 · 96 posts · 17 votes
    13y

    Great information on this thread!

    Questions:

    (1.) So one would get the 'pretty steep non refundable deposit' from the buyer at time of signing the assignment agreement?

    If so, wouldn't the buyer want to go see the property first, before signing the assignment agreement, and possibly dealing behind your back with the seller at the property?

    (2.) It was mentioned earlier to have the buyer pay you in 'your pocket' the non refundable deposit, directly to you instead of putting it in escrow. It seems like this would be difficult to do, since must people will not give money to a stranger instead of going through a title company and escrow.

    (3.) So in addition, we should also have non circumvent clauses in both the seller contract and the buyer assignment agreement and file the memorandum of notice of contract at the court house?

    Thanks!

  • Rehabber / Flipper · Simi Valley, CA · Member since 2010 · 597 posts · 259 votes
    13y

    @Larry N. , here are my thoughts:

    1.) Yes, the buyer will want to see the property. And yes, they could try to work a deal with the seller behind your back. However, you have a contract to buy the property, which the potential buyer doesn't. You could make it an issue if you wanted, or just move on to the next deal and spread the word about the unethical buyer.

    2.) Yes, I think this would be difficult to do. As a rehabber, I would not give money directly to a wholesaler. I would put it into escrow.

    3.) A non-circumvention clause in the seller contract seems redundant to me. They are signing a contract to sell to you. If you don't perform, they are free to sell to someone else. As for the memorandum of notice, this seems like a waste of time and energy to me. Even for the person who suggested it, it was only useful once. Seems like a lot of paranoia for an occasional event. And if the seller decides to sell to someone else, why get entangled in a negative situation? Just move on.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    I've had it happen to me.

    The buyer gets black listed and their reputation tarnished among the community. The seller knew I was bringing in partners on the deal and was just very confused. The deal was hot enough it closed in days and I was happy to fund a NON REFUNDABLE deposit to the seller to assure them I was the real deal.

    Still closed the deal, it was stressful and hurt to have someone try that but they better be GOOD to try and pull off a stunt like that.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.