Wholesaling Mentor Programs: Are they worth it?

Wholesaling Mentor Programs: Are they worth it?

Lender · Mesa, AZ · Member since 2019 · 62 posts · 49 votes

Hello all, I've been reading, listening, and studying real estate investment pathways for a couple of years now and one thing I keep coming across are RE wholesaler "mentor" programs. Here I'm thinking of courses like Brent Daniels (TTP), Astroflipping (Jamil Damji/KeyGlee), Pace Morby (subto.com), Ron LeGrand, Chris Chico, and many others. These programs typically cost from $5,800-$10,000 (although I have heard that some can be talked down to as little as $800-$2,500).

The question that keeps coming to my mind is; Why are they doing this? I understand they make good money by selling you and I the ability to access a bunch of videos on how to start a wholesale business but isn't this really just a conflict of their own interests? Aren't they basically just creating even more competition for themselves and thus making it harder for them to continue wholesaling? I don't know of any other major business models that would do this (such as Pepsi starting a mentor program on how to start/run your own cola company and then compete with them for the same customers). 

The second and perhaps even bigger question is; Are they selling these programs because wholesaling is even harder than they make it appear? In other words, could it be they know that wholesaling (in many major markets) is saturated and doing it successfully is harder than they let on; thus selling you the dream on how to do it is more profitable? I've heard about this with some real estate "gurus" on YouTube who actually make way more money in YouTube ads than they do their own real estate business! Perhaps it's just a combination of the two? 

Additionally, could it be that they are counting on the fact that most people will buy their training programs and then either 1) only do a deal or two or 2) not follow through in starting a full fledged wholesaling business? I wonder if there is something I'm missing here. 

I would like to hear your thoughts and I am specifically interested in hearing from those of you who are currently wholesaling successfully (i.e. - doing at least 1-5 deals per month - either wholesaling or doing creative finance deals). 

What do you think? Am I way off base here? 

Thanks all! 
Aaron Lietz
Door&Key

11Reply
346 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · South Florida and Central Florida · Member since 2017 · 50 posts · 40 votes
5y

@Aaron Lietz, I asked those same questions when I was doing research to learn wholesale. I was a traditional buy and hold landlord that was relying on the MLS and wholesalers for my deals. I asked myself, Why don't I learn how to get these properties myself. So I did really hard research and Pace Morby's Subto program made more sense to me with my goal to build a huge portfolio. I've been in his course for 6 months now and all I can say is WOW. It's more than just Subject to and Wholesale. I've learned about advanced tax strategies, Anonymity business sets ups, Sales training, several creative strategies and on going daily accountability zooms. I'll be 100% honest, I'm feel embarrassed that I paid so low for a lifetime mentorship that's continuously benefits me to this day. However, it's just like anything else, It's what you make of it. I come from a bodybuilding background. I researched how to transform my body for 10 years online going in circles. I hired a coach for the first time and implemented every step to his program and What I wasn't able to do in 10 years I did in 7 months. So you can go in these programs and thrive or you can go in, have a bad experience and down talk. I've seen that with everything.

See this reply in the discussion

38 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Aaron Lietz:

    Hello all, I've been reading, listening, and studying real estate investment pathways for a couple of years now and one thing I keep coming across are RE wholesaler "mentor" programs. Here I'm thinking of courses like Brent Daniels (TTP), Astroflipping (Jamil Damji/KeyGlee), Pace Morby (subto.com), Ron LeGrand, Chris Chico, and many others. These programs typically cost from $5,800-$10,000 (although I have heard that some can be talked down to as little as $800-$2,500).

    The question that keeps coming to my mind is; Why are they doing this? I understand they make good money by selling you and I the ability to access a bunch of videos on how to start a wholesale business but isn't this really just a conflict of their own interests? Aren't they basically just creating even more competition for themselves and thus making it harder for them to continue wholesaling? I don't know of any other major business models that would do this (such as Pepsi starting a mentor program on how to start/run your own cola company and then compete with them for the same customers). 

    The second and perhaps even bigger question is; Are they selling these programs because wholesaling is even harder than they make it appear? In other words, could it be they know that wholesaling (in many major markets) is saturated and doing it successfully is harder than they let on; thus selling you the dream on how to do it is more profitable? I've heard about this with some real estate "gurus" on YouTube who actually make way more money in YouTube ads than they do their own real estate business! Perhaps it's just a combination of the two? 

    Additionally, could it be that they are counting on the fact that most people will buy their training programs and then either 1) only do a deal or two or 2) not follow through in starting a full fledged wholesaling business? I wonder if there is something I'm missing here. 

    I would like to hear your thoughts and I am specifically interested in hearing from those of you who are currently wholesaling successfully (i.e. - doing at least 1-5 deals per month - either wholesaling or doing creative finance deals). 

    What do you think? Am I way off base here? Thanks all! 

    Aaron Lietz
    Door&Key

    Is it worth it? 

    It depends.

     If you dig, you find that they tell you some interesting things:

    One of them says they spend about $100,000 a month in advertising. That is not a misprint. $100,000 a month. They are not using grocery money to start a business and haven't had to for a very long time. They have the luxury of weathering a few down months. Can you advertise on a scale big enough to get clients?

    Another says they have 8 people, acquisition, disposition, someone to maintain the database and other staff. Do you have staff to help you? You can hire VA's but of course that takes commitment and money.

    Each has been at it for 15 years or more so they have built up their contacts and buyers lists. Do you have contacts and buyers? Contracts, scripts, escrow companies, title companies, attorneys, real estate agents, a source for printing materials, a web presence, a long term plan, money in reserve so you can eat, can you take a thousand "no, get out of my face" for every "yes"? Are you a self starter, do you think it is easy ? (you are wrong), do you think it takes No money (you are wrong) do you think people will welcome you when you contact them (you are wrong).

    They have access to cash to complete the transaction. Do you have access to large amounts of money to buy the property, or the knowledge to do creative financing or the contacts to do a double close or transactional funding? Do you know what those options actually mean?

    One of them says it takes about 200 Conversations  with sellers to get a deal. Can you keep dialing until you've spoken to 200 people? It takes about 1,500 "dials" to get to 200 people. Most calls go to voice mail. Voice mail is not taking to a person. When they pick up the phone and talk to you, it is a conversation. You need to talk to 200 owners (not renters) Can you relentlessly dial for dollars?

    Consistency, consistency, consistency.  If you are Not at it every day you lose momentum and the whole process grinds to a halt.

    Are you willing to be sued? In one video three or four of the ones you mentioned are discussing the number of times they've been in a lawsuit. It was unanimous, each has been involded in lawsuits several times. Let's face it, if you are successful wholesaling you will be sued. Those are their comments, not mine. Do you know the laws about wholesaling and are you willing to follow those laws?

    And most importantly, did you read every word of this post? NO?? Then you will never be a good wholesaler. If it took you a second reading to see this part, good for you. You might make it. If you miss details in wholesaling, you get sued. You really have to know what you are doing. Skipping this information and not understanding it shows either you don't have the apptitude or you don't have a true interest. Save your money and do something else.

    So, how do I know all of this since I don't wholesale? I have spent the last 25 years sourcing my own properties, off market, and I know what it takes. And I've listened to them to see if we have similar experiences, and we do. I personally have tried training over 60 people, mostly from BP, for no charge. Not one followed through. Not one. That was very curious to me. 

    Now, why do they sell "wholesaling" material? They develop a course and then sell it many times over. It is a profit center. They make their real money by massive advertising, & youtube gives them an army of people looking for properties for them to joint venture with. They split 50/50 with those very few who actually buy their courses and find a deal or two. So, if I had a couple of hundred people around the country bringing me deals from time to time I could also do a couple of extra deals a month. But that also means 95% of those same people never bring a deal at all. 

    So, if you buy their course for $5,000 and put another $5,000 into set up and advertising and you get your first deal for a $10,000 assignment fee when all is said and done, you split that with the mentor 50/50, so you get $5,000 and you are still $5,000 in the hole. You do an additional $2,000 in advertising to get your next deal and split that. It actually takes at least 3 deals before you start making any money. It's very rare to do one the first month> Let's say you do one the second and third months and if you last that long, you go on and make a living at it (or not, if you burn out). One of the guys says it's 42 days from the first deal to cash in pocket. It has about the same results as being a real estate agent. Unless you are really commited and real good. But, that is true for real estate agents too. There is not much difference income wise.

    Is it worth it to wholesale? Absolutely yes, if you can do the things in this post. Otherwise, save your money.

    That is how it works.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:
    Originally posted by @Aaron Lietz:

    Hello all, I've been reading, listening, and studying real estate investment pathways for a couple of years now and one thing I keep coming across are RE wholesaler "mentor" programs. Here I'm thinking of courses like Brent Daniels (TTP), Astroflipping (Jamil Damji/KeyGlee), Pace Morby (subto.com), Ron LeGrand, Chris Chico, and many others. These programs typically cost from $5,800-$10,000 (although I have heard that some can be talked down to as little as $800-$2,500).

    The question that keeps coming to my mind is; Why are they doing this? I understand they make good money by selling you and I the ability to access a bunch of videos on how to start a wholesale business but isn't this really just a conflict of their own interests? Aren't they basically just creating even more competition for themselves and thus making it harder for them to continue wholesaling? I don't know of any other major business models that would do this (such as Pepsi starting a mentor program on how to start/run your own cola company and then compete with them for the same customers). 

    The second and perhaps even bigger question is; Are they selling these programs because wholesaling is even harder than they make it appear? In other words, could it be they know that wholesaling (in many major markets) is saturated and doing it successfully is harder than they let on; thus selling you the dream on how to do it is more profitable? I've heard about this with some real estate "gurus" on YouTube who actually make way more money in YouTube ads than they do their own real estate business! Perhaps it's just a combination of the two? 

    Additionally, could it be that they are counting on the fact that most people will buy their training programs and then either 1) only do a deal or two or 2) not follow through in starting a full fledged wholesaling business? I wonder if there is something I'm missing here. 

    I would like to hear your thoughts and I am specifically interested in hearing from those of you who are currently wholesaling successfully (i.e. - doing at least 1-5 deals per month - either wholesaling or doing creative finance deals). 

    What do you think? Am I way off base here? Thanks all! 

    Aaron Lietz
    Door&Key

    Is it worth it? 

    It depends.

     If you dig, you find that they tell you some interesting things:

    One of them says they spend about $100,000 a month in advertising. That is not a misprint. $100,000 a month. They are not using grocery money to start a business and haven't had to for a very long time. They have the luxury of weathering a few down months. Can you advertise on a scale big enough to get clients?

    Another says they have 8 people, acquisition, disposition, someone to maintain the database and other staff. Do you have staff to help you? You can hire VA's but of course that takes commitment and money.

    Each has been at it for 15 years or more so they have built up their contacts and buyers lists. Do you have contacts and buyers? Contracts, scripts, escrow companies, title companies, attorneys, real estate agents, a source for printing materials, a web presence, a long term plan, money in reserve so you can eat, can you take a thousand "no, get out of my face" for every "yes"? Are you a self starter, do you think it is easy ? (you are wrong), do you think it takes No money (you are wrong) do you think people will welcome you when you contact them (you are wrong).

    They have access to cash to complete the transaction. Do you have access to large amounts of money to buy the property, or the knowledge to do creative financing or the contacts to do a double close or transactional funding? Do you know what those options actually mean?

    One of them says it takes about 200 Conversations  with sellers to get a deal. Can you keep dialing until you've spoken to 200 people? It takes about 1,500 "dials" to get to 200 people. Most calls go to voice mail. Voice mail is not taking to a person. When they pick up the phone and talk to you, it is a conversation. You need to talk to 200 owners (not renters) Can you relentlessly dial for dollars?

    Consistency, consistency, consistency.  If you are Not at it every day you lose momentum and the whole process grinds to a halt.

    Are you willing to be sued? In one video three or four of the ones you mentioned are discussing the number of times they've been in a lawsuit. It was unanimous, each has been involded in lawsuits several times. Let's face it, if you are successful wholesaling you will be sued. Those are their comments, not mine. Do you know the laws about wholesaling and are you willing to follow those laws?

    And most importantly, did you read every word of this post? NO?? Then you will never be a good wholesaler. If it took you a second reading to see this part, good for you. You might make it. If you miss details in wholesaling, you get sued. You really have to know what you are doing. Skipping this information and not understanding it shows either you don't have the apptitude or you don't have a true interest. Save your money and do something else.

    So, how do I know all of this since I don't wholesale? I have spent the last 25 years sourcing my own properties, off market, and I know what it takes. And I've listened to them to see if we have similar experiences, and we do. I personally have tried training over 60 people, mostly from BP, for no charge. Not one followed through. Not one. That was very curious to me. 

    Now, why do they sell "wholesaling" material? They develop a course and then sell it many times over. It is a profit center. They make their real money by massive advertising, & youtube gives them an army of people looking for properties for them to joint venture with. They split 50/50 with those very few who actually buy their courses and find a deal or two. So, if I had a couple of hundred people around the country bringing me deals from time to time I could also do a couple of extra deals a month. But that also means 95% of those same people never bring a deal at all. 

    So, if you buy their course for $5,000 and put another $5,000 into set up and advertising and you get your first deal for a $10,000 assignment fee when all is said and done, you split that with the mentor 50/50, so you get $5,000 and you are still $5,000 in the hole. You do an additional $2,000 in advertising to get your next deal and split that. It actually takes at least 3 deals before you start making any money. It's very rare to do one the first month> Let's say you do one the second and third months and if you last that long, you go on and make a living at it (or not, if you burn out). One of the guys says it's 42 days from the first deal to cash in pocket. It has about the same results as being a real estate agent. Unless you are really commited and real good. But, that is true for real estate agents too. There is not much difference income wise.

    Is it worth it to wholesale? Absolutely yes, if you can do the things in this post. Otherwise, save your money.

    That is how it works.

    I can vouch for offering to do deals for BP members and you simply never hear from them again..  and its like that with the general public.

    I find wholesaling to also be quite regional..  those that do it in Oregon ( which its totally illegal to do the contract assigning thing without a license.) to those do it say in big rust belt cities the deals are way different. the west coast folks tend to be the only one in the transaction. out in the east you will see 2 3 4 wholesalers on a single hud.. and of course the vast majority is inner city urban core stuff which is very much undeserved by mainstream brokers  IE they dont want to go there for fear of safety etc.

    When i was a guest vendor at the Armando Montalongo and Nick Vertucci events.. I sat with many students that paid the 40k to be there and just like what everyone talks about you have those that will grab on and move forward but the majority its just not something they have the skill set to make work.. with Armando and Nick they were teaching rehab flipping.. So they did have very in depth class room discussions with contracting experts to explain how to rehab a house.. Along with Realtors etc on how to find them.. And they encourage students to work with wholesalers if they could. And of course I was there to help with short term acquisitions and my JV program.. Which as we all know very few will actually take you up on it..

    I am convinced now if I charged 5k to be in my JV program and then I put up the money to buy the asset and split profit 50 50 like some of the other gurus out there I might actually have someone who takes me up on it.. but at least I make 5k for my time :)

  • Lender · Temecula, CA · Member since 2011 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Lietz definitely not worth it at all. I’ve paid for programs and the information is accurate but the difference is you. With the abundance of information programs courses they supply outrage not just the demand but the actually results they can guarantee which is nada. Biggerpockets and the network of experienced wholesalers and investors and perhaps a book on wholesaling will give you enough info to start the wholesaling. Beware people asking to dm them. You’ve asked a great question that many ask. So if you have specific questions about how to start there are plenty of people here in biggerpockets that would love to help. You need a list of cash buyers and some you need to find some sellers. What market are you in? AZ? That’s a great market. You’ll need an assignable contract and they assignment contract itself. You are asking about how to assign a contract. Wholesaling is not thr specific term actually.

  • Realtor · Tempe, AZ · Member since 2017 · 541 posts · 442 votes
    4y

    I wouldn't personally pay for those courses until you've tried putting in the work yourself first. There's nothing you're going to learn from Keyglee or pace morby that isn't already on the internet, it's just putting the work in either with buying massive lists to re-assign other deals or putting money into marketing for leads.

    These guys definitely do deals but I agree they probably make just as much if not more on selling training / mentorship

  • Lender · Temecula, CA · Member since 2011 · 43 posts · 20 votes
    4y

    I know there is mixed opinion about if it is worth it to spend money on a mentorship program, those who did spend the money will definetly defend their decision and it's difficult to go back and re-attempt it. I've spent money myself and I found zero information, on the mulitple programs, that can't be found here on biggerpockets, youtube or your favorite podcast. For specific answers on a situation you are having I see people getting those questions answered with ease her on biggerpockets. So based on that I don't think it's just an opinion, I think it's a fact you can succeed with out a paid mentor. Do you have a contract to use? Do you have several cash buyers to assign property to? How do you plan to find motivated sellers? FSBO, Sell Your House Fast signage, cold calling and sms are all tried and proving ways to find a seller. List buying from your favorite list provider like propertyradar, propstream and others, is where you can get list of absantees, tax defaults, foreclosures, preprobate, you name it. If you've got a bigger budget for marketing you can do mailers to your filtered list, google ads, facebook ads. I guarantee if you ask a question on BP someone will get you the answer you need. I did my first wholesale about 11 years ago and once I completed my first one subsequent assignments have been much easier. Scaling your business is another topic I believe.

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Lietz, you are so right!

  • Investor · Saint Louis, MO · Member since 2015 · 108 posts · 31 votes
    4y

    @Aaron Lietz, your post is spot on!  I can't tell you how many times I've asked the same questions.  However I had not been in real estate more than a couple of years when I realized the real money isn't in going out looking for someone to sell you their home cheap.  The real money is coming up with education.  Become very knowledgeable, first give out info for free, then sell the info.  Then use that money to buy properties.  Now your way a head of most because you have cash to put down.  Coaches use to always say there's no competition, either because most won't do the work or there are so many people who want to sell.  Well, anytime there are people looking for the same thing, there is competition.  And like you said, Pepsi isn't going to train a start up company, Walmart isn't going to train some small start up.  Why, because it doesn't benefit them at all.  There is enough free info out there but most people see "coaching" as a magic pill.  But its not, you still have to do the work.  Coaches aren't gonna do the work for you.  They also can't hold you accountable.  What can they do if you don't do the work, nothing.  Its really all on the individual to dedicate their time and energy.  Because if not, you're not gonna get the results.  I've seen people who haven't been in the business more than a year or two and because they've had some success, now they're coaches, lol.  My thing is I'm not gonna sign up with someone and in the end I'm really just funding their business and taking away from mine.  I know BP puts down a lot of these "guru's"  but in reality, BP is the largest coaching group in the country.  Isn't these weekly podcasts coaching?  Its just they were smart enough to make it a low yearly membership rather than asking for 10 to 20k one time fee.  I'm not hating, its free enterprise!

  • Modesto, CA · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 14 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Robins Dorvil:

    @Aaron Lietz, I asked those same questions when I was doing research to learn wholesale. I was a traditional buy and hold landlord that was relying on the MLS and wholesalers for my deals. I asked myself, Why don't I learn how to get these properties myself. So I did really hard research and Pace Morby's Subto program made more sense to me with my goal to build a huge portfolio. I've been in his course for 6 months now and all I can say is WOW. It's more than just Subject to and Wholesale. I've learned about advanced tax strategies, Anonymity business sets ups, Sales training, several creative strategies and on going daily accountability zooms. I'll be 100% honest, I'm feel embarrassed that I paid so low for a lifetime mentorship that's continuously benefits me to this day. However, it's just like anything else, It's what you make of it. I come from a bodybuilding background. I researched how to transform my body for 10 years online going in circles. I hired a coach for the first time and implemented every step to his program and What I wasn't able to do in 10 years I did in 7 months. So you can go in these programs and thrive or you can go in, have a bad experience and down talk. I've seen that with everything.

    I followed, researched and watched Pace for 3 years before joining SubTo. At first I must say I was skeptical of Subto. I always remember seeing those infomericals talking about buy a house with no money down. yada yada. AFter the first week in subto you will be overwhelmed with the amount of information you have at your finger tips. I think the sales training alone is well worth the price. From wholesaling, land deals, commercial deals, tax prep, legal subto matter, mobile home park acquistion, LLC creation, how to purchase businesses creatively as well.The wealth of knowledge you receive is worth way more. Pace just keeps on adding more stuff he recently added how to Subto or creative finance vehicles, RV's, trailers.Also the amount of contracts that are drawn up for different stated by attorneys. As others have said yes you find and google most of the information. Its how you look at the situation, how valuable is your time to you? Would you rather spend hours looking for the information or have the information/resources available to ask and experienced Subto Leader or member whenever you need.

    You can purchase BP pro, mentorships, courses, books, videos, etc. but if you don't take action what good does that do you. Most newbies want there hand held through the whole process. Subto provides that for you but if your afraid to take next the next step then your just wasting your money.

    Pace is the gift that keeps on giving!!!! Not to mention if Pace sees your putting in work you can be invited to a Mastermind meetup. Either Pace's house, camping trip, He will even crash local Subto meetups. Subto is not a community it's family. Go join and if you don't like after week ask for you money back. You will be amazed on the amount of information/knowledge you get.

  • Investor · Provo, UT · Member since 2016 · 759 posts · 626 votes
    3y

    Here are some of my feelings/tips on getting into real estate investing. 

    1. Start with networking with local investors and learn everything you can from them.

    2. Offer to add value to their business where possible.

    3. Be open to learning how to execute any opportunity that you find. Even if you don't win the deal you will learn how real estate works.

    4.  Be intentional and driven but be patient with yourself, nothing is worse than buying a bad purchase.

    5. Be extremely careful about who appears to be doing deals. Find investors that are doing what you want to do and are where you want to be and do everything possible to be a part of that business.

    Bonus tip:

    6. Read books

  • John O'LearyPro Member
    Lender · Winter Park, FL · Member since 2021 · 737 posts · 412 votes
    3y

    I'm in Kent Clothiers Boardroom Mastermind, but if you don't want to spend $30K, I recommend Alex Quezadas creative investor group. 

  • Investor · Hopedale, MA · Member since 2021 · 321 posts · 212 votes
    3y

    people teaching others how to do what they do, will never pose a threat to their own livelihood (re: competition). this is because for every 20 people who sign up for a course like this, maybe 1 will actually do something significant with it, and they won't be able to bring the special sauce that is pace morby (for example)'s personal touch. "no one can do it like you."

    i don't think wholesaling is any harder than it seems. does it actually require some work? yes. but it's pretty simple. and it doesn't matter if markets are saturated. they're usually saturated with crappy wholesalers who don't even answer DMs. 

    it's very possible that some who teach wholesaling, make more from courses than they do from wholesaling, but that doesn't mean wholesaling isn't profitable. if anything, to me that'd mean that they're just insanely good at marketing their course BECAUSE they're living proof of concept, and have higher profit margins on online courses (damn near 100%).

    i just did my first wholesale deal kind of by accident, it was a JV deal and i walked away with $48,400 after investing about $4500, so it definitely 'works' lol. and i didn't buy a course, i JV'd with someone who did.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.