Just closed my First Wholesale deal. My story

Just closed my First Wholesale deal. My story

Investor · Elburn, IL · Member since 2010 · 80 posts · 35 votes

Well I walked out of the title company today with my first check wholesaling. Here is the deal and I must say it was a learning experience from start to finish.

I was marketing to people who had not paid taxes and had tax liens against the property. I received a call from a woman who lived in Kentucky and she said that it was her moms place and that she had passed away. Two of her siblings were living in the house and had not paid any of the taxes for several years and she was just tired of dealing with it and sick of throwing money away. I asked her if she would take $10k for it and I would pay the back taxes which were about $4700 she said yes right away.

I used an option to purchase the property, the option fee was $100 but I only gave her $1 as a deposit with the rest to be paid once I exercised my option.

She was fine with that and I sent out the option agreement and a memorandum of option and had her sign and send them back, once I got the signed option I recorded the memo with the county.

Now since this was my first deal I made this offer before even seeing the place, I made the mistake of believing her when she said it was in good shape even though she hadn't been there in a few years, and based off what had sold in the last six months I thought the offer was good. Well I went to see the place and to my disappointment it was a wreck. It needed a least $15k in repairs. This was a 3bd 1.5 bath townhouse. Well I went back to her and said that the place needed to much work at the price I offered her I said I could give her $5k, she agreed.

Next I listed the property on the MLS using my wife who is an agent. I've always questioned why more wholesalers were not using the MLS, and I know now that not all will allow someone who is not on title to market. I did my research with her Listing board and found that I could market my interest in the property, as long as it states it in the option agreement and that the seller is aware I am going to do so.

I decided to list it at $25k. the listing went on about 5pm on a Thursday by Friday at 10am I had my first showing and my first cash offer of $20k, I told the gentleman, let me think about it and I will get back to you later today. Was shocked that I got an offer on the first showing, my wife said just take it and I agreed I should just take the money, but then I said lets see how the rest of the day goes. Well I was glad I did had another showing at 8pm and they made an offer of $23k. So now we are in a multiple bid situation, my wife tells them to bring their highest and best, the $20k sticks with that and the other guy went to $25, 595.

I was stoked this is the first day and I have this thing sold. Then that night I get a call from the sister living in the home saying that she was behind on the HOA. So I ask her how far behind, she says five and I say 5 months she then says no $5k. I couldn't believe it there goes a big chunk of my profit. I asked the seller if they were current on them and she said yes. Mistake number two, never believe what the seller is telling you always research it. It turns out that they owe $5950 in back HOA fees, Call the HOA and tell them that I am trying to buy the property and that I will give them $1000 and that I am the only chance they have of getting any money because if the tax lien investors gets the deed they will get nothing. Well we went back in forth and settled on $2500.

So I was going to take the $25,595 then the next day got two more offers one for $26 and another for $31k. There was so much activity on this place in just a few days, my wife was able to find about 10 others looking for properties in that price range and area. So we were able to start up a good buyers list by having it on the MLS.

I took the $31k offer and had him sign an assignment agreement, we agreed I would pay for title and he would pay for the rest of closing costs. He was fiine with the option and wanted to close quickly, so was I, but wait that would be to easy.

Turns out the mother died without a will and the property did not go through probate so the one sister I was dealing with could not make the decisions alone to sell, mistake number three always verify and order title commitment before you have an offer. So now I have to get four siblings to sign everything to sell this property and if one doesn't then the deal is down the drain.

Now there is a bunch more paper work needed to complete this deal, I needed an affidavit of heirship and death certificate, and everything has to be signed and notorized by everyone. So now I have to go to Joliet , Aurora , and then I took the wife and kid down to Louisville, Ky for a weekend trip to have the other two siblings sign the paperwork, I didn't want to chance anything being messed up.

I got everything all signed on Saturday and set the closing for today at 3pm, I had all my paperwork in orde,r paid the transfer tax and final water bill yesterday. Went in to the title company and they were impressed with how well organized I was. They were fine with the option and assignment agreement. I had my lawyer prepare all the closing documents and was able to go in there all by myself. Walked out 2hrs later with my first check for over $10k. My wife also made over $1k in commission, so we made close to $11,500 on the deal.

What a great feeling, I know this is a long thread but I hope it helps others out there. I have studied real estate for many years reading a ton about the subject, but was always too afraid to jump in, but finally decided to just do it. There are going to be bumps along the way, but I learned so much on this first deal. The next one will hopefully be a lot easier.

By the way I just signed up my next deal the other day and if my numbers hold up I could make close to $30k. I will post about that deal when it's done.

21Reply
185 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
13y

Great story and thanks for sharing! While I can see that there was a lot of learning on the buy side, I'm curious about the sell side. There was a lot of action on that property. Do you know why? What were your buyer's plans? Could you have listed it higher? Every time something sells for more than I planned, it makes me look at all the offers I made to sellers that weren't accepted and wondered if I should have gone higher.

Tax liens, repair issues, out-of-area seller, relatives living in the property, probate/heir situation and HOA liens on your first deal make you a heavily seasoned novice, IMO. Congrats!

See this reply in the discussion

72 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Newport News, VA · Member since 2011 · 14 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Thanks for the post.! Great inspiring story!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Temple, TX · Member since 2008 · 168 posts · 46 votes
    13y

    Well done. Going back and renegotiating with seller was impressive. A lot of experience in one deal will go a long way.

  • Wholesaler · Ocean Springs, MS · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 6 votes
    13y

    Matt Whiteside

    Huge CONGRATS man, that is so awesome to hear about first deal stories, they fuel me to keep going until I get that first check which hopefully is VERY soon with the deal I'm working on now. I bet it feels so good.

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Great story and thanks for sharing! While I can see that there was a lot of learning on the buy side, I'm curious about the sell side. There was a lot of action on that property. Do you know why? What were your buyer's plans? Could you have listed it higher? Every time something sells for more than I planned, it makes me look at all the offers I made to sellers that weren't accepted and wondered if I should have gone higher.

    Tax liens, repair issues, out-of-area seller, relatives living in the property, probate/heir situation and HOA liens on your first deal make you a heavily seasoned novice, IMO. Congrats!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Great job Matt! This is why I say that wholesalers should learn how to do their own title searches before they make offers. Glad everything worked out for you!

  • Member since 2013 · 52 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    Great tips. Thank you for sharing! And congrats on your first of many checks to come.

  • Investor · Farmington, UT · Member since 2011 · 314 posts · 179 votes
    13y

    Props Matt! One thing I have found in real estate is that deals seem to come in pairs. Crazy how that happens, you going along looking for a deal then WHAM WHAM you get one right after another. Deal flow is always a roller coaster ride. Just remember in the down times that there will be an up. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, MN · Member since 2010 · 511 posts · 92 votes
    13y

    Matt Whiteside great story, even though the road blocks kept coming you found away to make it happen, job well done!! Take your family out to eat and celebrate.

    Thanks for sharing, now go out and get another.

  • Real Estate Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2009 · 71 posts · 21 votes
    13y

    You never gave up and you got the deal done. Great Job.....

  • Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 1 post · 0 votes
    13y

    Congrats Matt!!

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y

    Good job, Matt. Sounds like you really earned your money, of course. I'll bet your wife won't ever complain about the occasional road trip when she makes money, too.

    You just can't get that kind of experience from training courses. This is the flight training part of learning the business that can't be replicated. Especially, the emotions that must have been running thru your head and the adrenaline coursing thru your veins once you found the opportunity, pursued it and got control of it.

  • Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 27 posts · 3 votes
    13y

    That's wehat happens when you take action! Now that you got your feet wet, I'm eager to see how your next deal pans out. Keep it up Champ!

  • Peoria, IL · Member since 2013 · 967 posts · 383 votes
    13y

    Matt Whiteside

    Congratulations. Thank you for the great detailed post.

    If you had done a title search yourself -
    Would you have seen:
    The HOA fees &
    The daughter didn't have clear title?

    How did you get the list of people with tax liens on their house?

    Ibrahim S
    Can you go to the courthouse and sometimes they will help you with a title search? Normally to pay someone for a title search is a few hundred $$s?

  • Mike T.Pro Member
    Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2012 · 94 posts · 26 votes
    13y

    Great job! I am coming across a lot of deals in Tampa at 80-85% arv. These do not meet 70% rule but I think I am going to start trying to get these deals to sign option contract and sell retail. We are in a hot sellers market properties are moving super fast.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Kirk R.:
    Matt Whiteside

    Congratulations. Thank you for the great detailed post.

    If you had done a title search yourself -
    Would you have seen:
    The HOA fees &
    The daughter didn't have clear title?

    How did you get the list of people with tax liens on their house?

    Ibrahim S
    Can you go to the courthouse and sometimes they will help you with a title search? Normally to pay someone for a title search is a few hundred $$s?

    Kirk R. - As far as the first part of your question, virtually all info available to title searchers and companies is public info. So yes you can get all the info you need on HOA fees, judgments, liens, deeds etc.

    As to the 2nd part - yes if your county is 'friendly and helpful' enough sure they will assist you. Mine is neither :) So you're almost on your own. But that's just one of the two counties I primarily deal with. And it's the hardest not to mention antiquated with more than half the info still in huge heavy books. The other county is friendly, helpful and mostly online. So it really depends on your county recorder and their staff.

    And keep in mind I'm talking about doing more of a 'preliminary title search' that helps get you started in your pursuit of a particular deal. You still want to do an official title search before you take title to the property.

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    Awesome post Matt Whiteside - thanks so much for sharing your experience, that was a very helpful case study!

    The issue about having a clear title got me thinking - (and maybe some of you more experienced wholesalers can help answer this), if our intent is to wholesale a property (by assigning an option, like Matt did), should it just be a standard order of business to order a title search and/or title commitment immediately after we get a deal under contract?

    I realize this will usually set you back with some costs right out of the gate (with no guarantee that you'll ever actually make a sale in the end), but if we want to be effective at this kind of niche, is this just the cost of doing business this way?

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    13y

    Matt very well done
    congrats

  • Silver Spring, MD · Member since 2013 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Congrats Matt! I know it feels great. Experience is the best teacher and I hope you continue with your successes. Instead of taking your family out to eat to celebrate, take them somewhere that you don't normally go, that way the urge to succeed will resonate in that 'random trip after the first check' feeling.

  • Southaven, MS · Member since 2013 · 7 posts · 0 votes
    13y

    Matt Whiteside Congrads!!!! Would love to hear about your deal ongoing now also.

  • Westland, MI · Member since 2012 · 57 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Congrats Matt Whiteside! This gives more confidence to go out and get started.

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2009 · 483 posts · 228 votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Seth Williams:
    The issue about having a clear title got me thinking - (and maybe some of you more experienced wholesalers can help answer this), if our intent is to wholesale a property (by assigning an option, like Matt did), should it just be a standard order of business to order a title search and/or title commitment immediately after we get a deal under contract?

    I realize this will usually set you back with some costs right out of the gate (with no guarantee that you'll ever actually make a sale in the end), but if we want to be effective at this kind of niche, is this just the cost of doing business this way?

    I personally would never order a title search until I have a signed contract from my buyer. This is of course to keep from wasting my title companies time and to keep from wasting money that could go into marketing.

    Now ordering an inspection on a property is a different story.

  • Wholesaler · Brooklandville, MD · Member since 2013 · 149 posts · 29 votes
    13y

    Matt Whiteside
    Excellent work we now have more wholesalers getting the job done. Good show now get back to work :)

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Seth Williams:
    Awesome post Matt Whiteside - thanks so much for sharing your experience, that was a very helpful case study!

    The issue about having a clear title got me thinking - (and maybe some of you more experienced wholesalers can help answer this), if our intent is to wholesale a property (by assigning an option, like Matt did), should it just be a standard order of business to order a title search and/or title commitment immediately after we get a deal under contract?

    I realize this will usually set you back with some costs right out of the gate (with no guarantee that you'll ever actually make a sale in the end), but if we want to be effective at this kind of niche, is this just the cost of doing business this way?

    I don't see how you would have anything to buy or sell if you don't know the full title picture. Only the most unsophisticated buyer would buy your option without knowing the title and lien situation. Is this a trick question?

  • Real Estate Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 36 votes
    13y

    @Matt Whiteside
    Congratulations! A motivational testimony. Thanks for sharing.

  • Investor · Elburn, IL · Member since 2010 · 80 posts · 35 votes
    13y

    K. Marie Poe
    [b]Originally posted by K. Marie Poe:
    Great story and thanks for sharing! While I can see that there was a lot of learning on the buy side, I'm curious about the sell side. There was a lot of action on that property. Do you know why? What were your buyer's plans? Could you have listed it higher? Every time something sells for more than I planned, it makes me look at all the offers I made to sellers that weren't accepted and wondered if I should have gone higher.

    When I first signed up the deal the comps were coming in at 25-30K and then I saw an reo listed at $11k and the photos of it looked better than my unit. Then it sold in four days for $22k so I had some hope that I could get at least that.

    I never met the buyer until yesterday at closing, didn't know his plans but after hearing him talk to his lawyer I knew he was going to rehab and and sell. Still looking at comps not much going for over 30K. He is already into to it for $31 plus just over $1k in closing costs. The place needs at least $10k in rehab, so he is at $42k. If he wants to make a profit of say $10k he is going to have to sell for close to $60k, the comps just don't support that right now. Maybe he sees something I don't.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.