Bridge Loan vs. Permanent Financing: How Would You Approach This Situation?

Bridge Loan vs. Permanent Financing: How Would You Approach This Situation?

Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
I’m looking for input from investors and lenders who have navigated a situation like this. I own an investment property in St. Louis that recently appraised at approximately $363,000, with a current loan payoff of approximately $194,000. The property has significant equity, but during a contractor dispute that resulted in litigation, the loan matured and subsequently fell into default. I obtained a judgment in my favor, but the contractor has filed a motion to set aside that judgment, and we’re currently awaiting the court’s ruling. Because of the pending litigation, title concerns, and the loan’s current default status, obtaining permanent financing has become more challenging. I’m currently evaluating two different financing approaches: Option 1 – Bridge Loan * Refinance the matured loan immediately. * Prevent foreclosure. * Preserve the investment. * Resolve the litigation without the immediate pressure of foreclosure. * Refinance into long-term financing once the litigation and title issues are resolved. Option 2 – Long-Term Financing * Better long-term structure. * Requires full underwriting, an appraisal, entity documentation, and additional due diligence before final approval. * Given the time-sensitive nature of my situation, I’m concerned about investing several weeks in underwriting only to be declined near the end of the process. For those who have experience with situations like this: * If you were in my position, which option would you prioritize and why? * Have you successfully refinanced from a bridge loan into permanent financing after resolving legal or title-related issues? * What factors have lenders focused on most when evaluating situations like this? * If you were underwriting this loan, what would concern you the most, and what would give you confidence to move forward? I’m interested in learning from others who have worked through similar situations and appreciate any insights or lessons learned from either the borrower or lender perspective.
1Reply
182 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 81 votes
2mo

I would treat this as triage, not rate shopping.

The first decision is whether the property has a clean path to a first position lender before the foreclosure clock matters.

I would build one packet with the current title commitment, payoff, judgment, pending motion timeline, rent roll, insurance, and DSCR math, then let that packet decide whether permanent financing is realistic or the bridge is buying time.

See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Augusta · Member since 2024 · 28 posts · 23 votes
    2mo

    Terry, I think the first question I'd want answered isn't whether it's a bridge loan or permanent financing—it's what's actually recorded against the title today.

    Your current lender is obviously in first position, but has the contractor recorded a mechanic's lien or any other lien against the property? That's important because regardless of which financing route you pursue, the new lender will want to ensure they can obtain a clear first-position lien.

    If the title is clear aside from the existing mortgage, I'd lean toward long-term financing (assuming the DSCR numbers work). It could save you the time and expense of completing two separate refinances.

    If there are additional title issues, then the conversation changes. The lender will want to know whether those issues can be resolved before closing or if they're comfortable using a bridge loan until the title is cleared.

    To answer a couple of your other questions:

    • Yes, I've assited borrowers successfully refinance from a bridge loan into long-term financing once title or legal issues were resolved.
    • If I were underwriting this loan, my biggest concern wouldn't be the equity—it would be whether I can obtain a clean, first-position lien and whether there's a defined path to resolving the litigation.
    • What would give me confidence is a current title commitment, documentation outlining the litigation status, and a realistic timeline for resolution. The more certainty you can provide upfront, the easier it is for a lender to evaluate the risk.

    To me, the title report is what drives the financing strategy—not the other way around.

    Just reachout if you want to discuss further. 

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Christian Wamsley 

      Hi Christian,

      Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Your explanation helped me better understand that the title report—not necessarily the loan product—is what ultimately drives the underwriting decision.

      That perspective really helped me think about the situation differently. I appreciate you sharing your experience, and I’d love to stay connected here on BiggerPockets.

  • Investor · Charleston, SC · Member since 2018 · 192 posts · 81 votes
    2mo

    I would treat this as triage, not rate shopping.

    The first decision is whether the property has a clean path to a first position lender before the foreclosure clock matters.

    I would build one packet with the current title commitment, payoff, judgment, pending motion timeline, rent roll, insurance, and DSCR math, then let that packet decide whether permanent financing is realistic or the bridge is buying time.

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Eduardo Cavasotti 

      Hi Eduardo,

      Thank you again for your thoughtful response. I especially liked your recommendation to build one complete lending package so the facts drive the financing decision instead of chasing different loan products.

      That was a great way to look at the situation, and it’s something I’m putting into practice now. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience and hope we can stay connected.

  • Investor · Florida, United States · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    2mo

    Terry, Christian and Eduardo already nailed the core of it, the title report drives this, not the loan type. One thing I'd add on the practical side, since you're on a clock with the default.

    Ask your title company or attorney about bonding off the mechanic's lien if there's one recorded. In a lot of states you can post a lien release bond through a surety to move that lien off the title report entirely while the litigation plays out. It doesn't resolve the underlying dispute, but it can get you a clean first-position lien fast, which is exactly what both replies above flagged as the real gatekeeper. Worth a call to a real estate attorney in Missouri to confirm it applies here.

    Before you lean on the bridge loan as your safety net, confirm the bridge lender will actually take this file. Active litigation plus a defaulted, matured loan is exactly the combination some hard money and bridge lenders won't touch, and others will if the title's bonded clean or they're comfortable with the judgment in your favor. Don't assume bridge is the easy fallback until you've got an actual term sheet in hand.

    And run the real math, not just speed. Bridge-then-refi means two sets of closing costs, bridge points, and carry on top of whatever rate the bridge lender charges for the litigation risk. Compare that all-in number against what you'd actually lose if the permanent underwriting takes a few extra weeks and still gets declined. If the equity's real and the judgment holds, you may have more room to wait than the default clock makes it feel like.

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Valentin Lopez 

      Hi Valentin,

      Thank you for taking the time to respond and for mentioning the possibility of bonding off a mechanic’s lien. That’s something I hadn’t fully considered, and I’m planning to discuss it with my attorney to see whether it’s an option in Missouri.

      I appreciate you sharing your experience and practical suggestions. I’d love to stay connected here on BiggerPockets.

  • Stacy RaskinBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 494 votes
    2mo

    From a lending position, for long term financing such as DSCR loans, a clean title and a lender able to be in the first lien position position against the property will be key. Title issues come up when a Title report is done and is shared with the lending institution's underwriter.

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Stacy Raskin 

      Hi Stacy,

      Thank you for your response and for explaining how title affects long-term financing from the lender’s perspective. Hearing that reinforced what several experienced lenders shared and helped me better understand what underwriters are focused on.

      I really appreciate your insight and hope we can stay connected.

  • Matthew CrivelliBusiness Member
    Lender · MA · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo

    Would the current lender be willing to give you an extension on the current loan? It would give you more time to clear the title issues and deal with the contractor. That would be the first lever i would try to pull. 

    Freedom Capital Funding, LLC523 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Matthew Crivelli 

      Hi Matthew,

      Thank you for your suggestion. I did explore the extension route, but unfortunately it wasn’t enough time to work through the contractor dispute and the related court motions.

      I appreciate you taking the time to help. Thank you!

      – Terry

  • Irv ArreolaPro Member
    Lender · Los Angeles CA · Member since 2026 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    2mo

    Everyone above is right that the title report is what drives this, NOT the loan type 

    — I'd just add the piece for when you get to the "refinance into long-term financing" step. Once the judgment is final and title is clean, DSCR is usually the natural landing spot here since you're an investment property, not owner-occupied, so income-doc timelines and any temporary dip from the litigation on your personal financials won't hold up the file.

    Most DSCR lenders just want: current lease/rent roll, clean title commitment, and a seasoning clock that typically starts from when you originally acquired the property, not from the bridge closing , worth confirming that with whoever does your bridge, since some bridge-to-DSCR pairings are structured to preserve that. Given the equity spread ($363K value / $194K payoff), you've got plenty of room to make the numbers work once the legal side clears. Happy to run what a DSCR takeout would look like once you're past the litigation if useful.

    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Irv Arreola 

      Hi Irv,

      Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. Your explanation that the title report drives the financing strategy—not the loan product—really helped put everything into perspective.

      I also appreciate your offer to walk through what a DSCR takeout could look like once the litigation is resolved. If everything moves in the right direction, I’d really value the opportunity to take you up on that.

      Thanks again for your time and willingness to help. I’d love to stay connected here on BiggerPockets.

      – Terry

  • Erik EstradaBusiness Member
    Lender · Member since 2022 · 6k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    2mo
    Quote from @Terry Garrett:
    I’m looking for input from investors and lenders who have navigated a situation like this. I own an investment property in St. Louis that recently appraised at approximately $363,000, with a current loan payoff of approximately $194,000. The property has significant equity, but during a contractor dispute that resulted in litigation, the loan matured and subsequently fell into default. I obtained a judgment in my favor, but the contractor has filed a motion to set aside that judgment, and we’re currently awaiting the court’s ruling. Because of the pending litigation, title concerns, and the loan’s current default status, obtaining permanent financing has become more challenging. I’m currently evaluating two different financing approaches: Option 1 – Bridge Loan * Refinance the matured loan immediately. * Prevent foreclosure. * Preserve the investment. * Resolve the litigation without the immediate pressure of foreclosure. * Refinance into long-term financing once the litigation and title issues are resolved. Option 2 – Long-Term Financing * Better long-term structure. * Requires full underwriting, an appraisal, entity documentation, and additional due diligence before final approval. * Given the time-sensitive nature of my situation, I’m concerned about investing several weeks in underwriting only to be declined near the end of the process. For those who have experience with situations like this: * If you were in my position, which option would you prioritize and why? * Have you successfully refinanced from a bridge loan into permanent financing after resolving legal or title-related issues? * What factors have lenders focused on most when evaluating situations like this? * If you were underwriting this loan, what would concern you the most, and what would give you confidence to move forward? I’m interested in learning from others who have worked through similar situations and appreciate any insights or lessons learned from either the borrower or lender perspective.

     The main issue really is having clear title. If there are any recorded liens, judgements, lis pendens, etc.. most lenders will not turn a blind eye and would want these resolved prior to closing. 

    You might face similar issues trying to sell the property, unless you find a cash buyer, that is okay with taking on the risk.. 

    I would suggest getting a prelim before transacting, and making sure there is nothing on there that can jeopardize your refinance or sale. 

    LuxePrivate Investments LLC 572 Reviews
    • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
      2mo

      @Erik Estrada 

      Hi Erik,

      I just wanted to personally thank you for taking the time to review my situation and contribute to the discussion. I really appreciate your insight and willingness to help.

      The feedback from you and the other professionals has helped me better understand that the title position is really the key issue, and that’s given me a much clearer direction as I continue working with my attorney and lenders.

      Thanks again for your time. I genuinely appreciate it, and I hope we stay connected.

  • Member since 2026 · 47 posts · 9 votes
    2mo

    Thank you, everyone, for taking the time to share your experience and perspectives. I really appreciate the thoughtful responses.

    One thing that stood out to me is how consistent the advice was. Regardless of whether the recommendation was bridge financing or long-term financing, everyone emphasized that the title position—not the loan product—is what ultimately drives the underwriting decision.

    That has given me a much clearer understanding of what I need to focus on with my attorney, title company, and lenders moving forward.

    I truly appreciate everyone who contributed their knowledge and experience. This has been one of the most valuable discussions I’ve had on BiggerPockets.

  • Investor · Florida, United States · Member since 2026 · 8 posts · 5 votes
    2mo

    Terry, glad it's useful, and good luck untangling it with your attorney. If the bond route doesn't apply in Missouri, ask about title endorsements too. Sometimes a title company will insure over a recorded item for an extra premium if the dispute is well documented, which can get you to closing faster than waiting on the litigation to fully resolve. Hope the motion gets denied and this clears up clean.

  • Lender · Pickerington, OH · Member since 2026 · 49 posts · 39 votes
    2mo

    If foreclosure is a real and immediate concern, I’d probably focus first on buying yourself time. A bridge loan may not be the cheapest option, but getting the current loan out of default and removing that immediate pressure could give you the breathing room to resolve the litigation and then refinance into something more permanent.

    The biggest question I’d want answered is exactly how the pending litigation affects title and whether a new lender can get into a clean, insurable lien position. With the amount of equity you have, I definitely think the situation is worth exploring.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.