Commercial real estate like you’ve never heard it before! On today’s episode, Brandon and David sit down with Ken Wimberly, the owner of a Keller Williams commercial brokerage and a commercial investor himself.
Ken shares some incredible tips on how to get into owning commercial property, including how to find quality tenants, how to structure the lease, and how to protect yourself from a changing market. He also provides great advice on building relationships and identifying who NOT to partner with.
Ken goes on to talk about how he went from working in a pizza restaurant to cashing his first check for 50K as a broker—with absolutely no training program! He shares some incredible advice for opening a laundromat, making huge returns, and successfully investing in other people’s deals, too.
If you’ve ever been interested in how to do big deals without big headaches, this episode is for you!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
WizeHire is an online recruiting service that fuses recruiting software with the personal service of a hiring coach to help you find the best candidates for the job. They do all the heavy lifting for you so you can stay focused on what’s important.
Visit WizeHire today!
Deep Dive Sponsor
Fundrise enables you to invest in high-quality, high-potential private market real estate projects. I’m talking anything from high rises in D.C. to multi-families in L.A. — institutional-quality stuff. And each project is carefully vetted and actively managed by Fundrise’s team of real estate pros.
Their high-tech, low-cost online platform lets you track the progress of every single project, and keep more of the money you make. Oh, and by the way, you don’t have to be accredited.
Visit Fundrise.com/biggerpockets to have your first 3 months of fees waived.
Fire Round Sponsor
Roofstock is the #1 marketplace for buying and selling leased, single-family rental homes. Their marketplace of tenant-occupied rental properties makes it easy to invest in cash flowing properties across the U.S. and start earning cash flow day one. They even connect you with vetted local property managers, so you can invest and own remotely with confidence.
To sign up for a free account and start browsing cash flowing rental homes, visit roofstock.com/biggerpockets.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How he builds relationships
- How he learned the commercial business sitting across from a mentor and listening
- How he buys laundromats
- Investing in commercial spaces
- Using OPM to buy land and selling a 5K investment for 150K
- How he earned a commission of 50K on a deal he couldn’t do
- How he chooses his business partners
- His morning routine
- What to look for in a potential partner to disqualify them
- How newbies should start off investing in commercial property
- How to balance investing with family time
- How he structures deals
- Tips on owning a business inside your commercial building
- How he invests in other people’s deals
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Commercial Lenders
- Branch Equity
- BiggerPockets Podcast 190: Building 61 Different Passive Streams of Income with Pat Hiban
- BiggerPockets Podcast 322: 3 Things Every Leader MUST Do to Scale with Ben Kinney
- Google Alerts
- BiggerPockets Business Podcast
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Richest Man in Babylon by George S Clason
- How to Invest in Real Estate by Brandon Turner and Joshua Dorkin
- The Miracle Morning by Hal Elrod
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- The ONE Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- Scale: Seven Proven Principles to Grow Your Business and Get Your Life Back by Jeff Hoffman and David Finkel
- “No matter how smart the potential partner, it’s still better to find someone with a growth mindset.” (Tweet This!)
- “Integrity is the foundation of any partnership.” (Tweet This!)
- “Own a small percentage of a lot of deals because they add up.” (Tweet This!)
- “Walk away from things that seem too good to be true.” (Tweet This!)
- “Saying no is a very important thing.” (Tweet This!)
- “You can create something out of nothing.” (Tweet This!)