Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
1031 Exchanges
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Rob King
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HI
Votes |
Questions to ask when vetting DSTs

Rob King
Pro Member
  • Honolulu, HI
Posted Jun 2 2022, 00:56

BLUF: I am selling three condos in Honolulu, two rentals and one primary residence.  I will list the three properties and hopefully sell in July of this year as I am relocating to Baltimore, Maryland.  I think a 1031 would be the best for the funds generated from the sale of two and have been looking into DSTs.

If I assume, based on my seller's estimates a profit of approximately $250-280k for the sale of the two properties with a combined sale price of $760-800k. 

As I educate myself on DSTs I would appreciate the BP community's insights into successful due diligence practices when vetting DST opportunities.

Please forgive the broadness of the question but at this junction I'd rather cast a wide net.  Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Russell Brazil
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Washington, D.C.
ModeratorReplied Jun 2 2022, 08:52

If you are moving to Baltimore, make sure to reach out to @Sara Frank

User Stats

Votes
Sara Frank
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Baltimore, MD
Replied Jun 2 2022, 09:52
Quote from @Russell Brazil:

If you are moving to Baltimore, make sure to reach out to @Sara Frank

He's ten steps ahead of you, Russell! Lol 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jon Taylor
  • Pasadena, CA
Votes |
  • Pasadena, CA
Replied Jun 2 2022, 13:02

In regards to evaluating DSTs, each asset class needs to be evaluated with an understanding of the technical fundamentals that matter, AS IF you were purchasing those properties outright.

Questions like:

Were the properties purchased at the right price?

Are the properties being marked up before they are sold to investors.

How is the cash-on-cash being modeled?

What are the assumptions that are being factored in - namely occupancy rate and rent per square foot per unit type - and how do they compare to the local market?

What are the terms of the debt?

What are the demographics of the area? (Population in the 5-mile, population growth, etc…)

What's the exit strategy?

I generally stay up to date on the current DST market, and there are a few that are currently attractive enough to invest money in. A lot has changed since the fed started to raise rates. And a lot changed since the COVID crisis. Some are great. Most are not… (IMO)

So, proceed with caution.

User Stats

Votes
Brandon Bruckman
  • Financial Advisor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Votes |
  • Financial Advisor
  • Milwaukee, WI
Replied Jun 3 2022, 04:54

What Jon Taylor said plus you need to evaluate the financial broker or RIA your working with plus the sponsor of the DST deal. The experience and track record of both of these parties is as important as evaluating the actual deal.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jun 8 2022, 21:29

There is 1031 broker out there that can give you as a potential client an actual full cycle of the most DST player track record, really awesome, and an eye opener. I use it to select the DST that has a good track record. I can't give the name but just ask every broker they will give it to you.

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 9 2023, 12:41
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

There is 1031 broker out there that can give you as a potential client an actual full cycle of the most DST player track record, really awesome, and an eye opener. I use it to select the DST that has a good track record. I can't give the name but just ask every broker they will give it to you.

CArlos can you give an update to which name this is? 

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 9 2023, 12:43
Quote from @Neesa Patel:
Quote from @Carlos Ptriawan:

CArlos can you give an update to which name this is? 

I dont want to promo someone but it's one of the big 1031 broker that has large presence, ask if they have track record for all sponsors, that's the key question to ask