Exchange - Rental Property to Commercial Property ?

Exchange - Rental Property to Commercial Property ?

Renter · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 133 posts · 5 votes

Hi all,

I have a duplex in Orange County, CA that I have held for 25 years and I want to consider an exit strategy. I have deducted 25 years of depreciation which would need to be recaptured on normal sale ( ouch ). So, I thought I heard of the possibility of exchanging into a commercial property and leasing it out for 5-10 years ( to a WalGreens / CVS pharmacy ) and then live off the income stream and avoid capital gains taxes.

So, is this possible ? Where would you begin to look for the commerical property ?

Thanks, Paul

1Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Curtis BidwellPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
11y

@Richard Chang As both are considered investment there should be no problem doing a 1031. We took several SFR and did a 1031into a mixed use building that had apartments, restaurant, office and retail services. Good luck to you!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Hudson, FL · Member since 2012 · 67 posts · 13 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Richard Chang:

    Hi all,

    I have a duplex in Orange County, CA that I have held for 25 years and I want to consider an exit strategy. I have deducted 25 years of depreciation which would need to be recaptured on normal sale ( ouch ). So, I thought I heard of the possibility of exchanging into a commercial property and leasing it out for 5-10 years ( to a WalGreens / CVS pharmacy ) and then live off the income stream and avoid capital gains taxes.

    So, is this possible ? Where would you begin to look for the commerical property ?

    Thanks, Paul

    loopnet.com contact the top agents in your area and tell them exactly what you're looking for

  • Renter · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 133 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    @kevinhurney

    Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not sure where the new property would be yet so I'm not sure which LoopNet agent to talk to.

    Also, would appreciate any feedback on whether a 1031 Exchange would allow moving from an Investment Property to a Commercial Property.

    Thanks, Richard

  • Curtis BidwellPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Olympia, WA · Member since 2014 · 777 posts · 744 votes
    11y

    @Richard Chang As both are considered investment there should be no problem doing a 1031. We took several SFR and did a 1031into a mixed use building that had apartments, restaurant, office and retail services. Good luck to you!

  • Bill ExeterBusiness Member
    1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Richard, 

    Yes, net lease properties such as a CVS Pharmacy, Walgreens, etc., are investment properties and will qualify for 1031 Exchange treatment.  You can sell your duplex and 1031 Exchange into any type of real estate as long as it is held for rental or investment purposes.  Net lease properties are very common replacement property solutions for 1031 Exchange transactions. 

    Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
  • Bill ExeterBusiness Member
    1031 Exchange Qualified Intermediary · San Diego, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Hi Richard, 

    I had a follow-up thought as well.  You might want to compare net lease properties with other types of "passive" investment property opportunities as well.  These could include investments such as:

    • Net Lease Properties (NNN)
    • Tenant-In-Common Investment Properties (TICs) 
    • Delaware Statutory Trusts (DSTs) 

    These asset classes all market to the 1031 Exchange clientele who are looking to get out of property management headaches but  do not want to  get hit (killed) with taxes.  You can defer the payment of your taxes by exchanging into these passive activity investment properties. 

    Exeter 1031 Exchange Services, LLC and Exeter Trust Company4.726 Reviews
  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    11y

    Richard how much proceeds will you have to exchange with??

    Pharmacies have zero rent increases in the primary term of the lease.

    You can get into some pharmacies with 10% down.

    Lenders look at your liquidity and net worth even with a pharmacy.

    How much cash on cash are you expecting annually??

    Pharmacies vary in price from 2 million to 20 million depending on location. Some with just a few years left on the primary term of the lease might trade lower in price or in a rural area.

    "I heard of the possibility of exchanging into a commercial property"

    People hear lots of things but until they talk to investor/commercial brokers who are active in the markets daily they do not know what the realities are. The buyer just has an IDEA at that point.

    That is why it is critical to talk to someone on the phone as commercial might not even be the right path for you. There is a discovery process you need to go through to see if your idea matches up with reality.

  • Renter · Alhambra, CA · Member since 2009 · 133 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    Hi all and thanks for all the good replies.

    As Joel said, I basically "don't have a clue" and will have to "get educated".

    I think the main things for me are

    • to minimize property mgmt headaches 
    • get a good return
    • avoid capital gain taxes.

    So, I will have to educate myself on NNN, TIC , DST etc and determine if this is the way to go for me as I am approaching retirement in a few years.

    Thanks, Richard

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.