• New to Real Estate
  • Houston, TX
Votes |
LLC creation help

Miguel Nambo
  • New to Real Estate
  • Houston, TX
Posted May 15 2023, 17:19

Hi there, does anybody know a good CPA or Lawyer that can help me with the creation of a LLC in the Houston area?

User Stats

Votes
Hamp Lee III
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied May 15 2023, 18:32

If you can't find one locally, you can use UpCounsel. I used one of their Texas lawyers to help me review my LLC operating agreement.

Lawyers can bid for your services so you’ll receive different rates and services.

I hope this helps.

I wish you all the best.

User Stats

Votes
Olia Fogel
  • Attorney
  • New York
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • New York
Replied May 16 2023, 09:02

@Miguel Nambo I will message you on this.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cody L.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Diego, Ca
Replied May 27 2023, 13:15
Quote from @Miguel Nambo:

Hi there, does anybody know a good CPA or Lawyer that can help me with the creation of a LLC in the Houston area?

If you're doing it in Houston, it takes 10 min.  No need to hire an attorney.

First you have to get your certificate of formation / filing from Texas Secretary of State...

1) Go to http://www.sos.state.tx.us/
2) Go to "Business Filings -> SISDirect - Online Searching and Filing. Login (via new account or previous. Either way you'll likely need to put in a CC# before proceeding)
3) Go to "Business Organizations', then under "Web Filings" choose "Domestic Limited Liability Company (LLC)" (or different, if applicable)
4) Filing type -> Certificate of Formation (should be the only one)
5) Fill out your info.

The cost should be $300. Make sure forms they give you are saved as PDF to your machine

Next you have to get your EIN from the IRS. That's easy and free. Google "IRS EIN" for the link or go to https://sa.www4.irs.gov/modiein/individual/index.jsp (current link today) Remember that every year you have to file a "no tax due" or your account becomes in bad standing (as what happens to me all time since I just forget). That's done here: http://comptroller.texas.gov/taxinfo/franchise/webfile_franchise.html 

IMPORTANT: To do it online you'll need your taxpayer number (which is public and will be on the forms you've got from the steps above), BUT ALSO YOUR WEBFILE NUMBER. That number is ONLY mailed to you (paper mail, like the 1800's). So when I get them I have a database of all my LLCs, what their taxpayer numbers are, and then wen I get that letter I add the webfile number and recycle the paper. But make sure that webfile number is saved. If you lose it you have to call them (sucks) and ask them to mail it to you (1800's style)

User Stats

Votes
Taj Akinbode
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Investor-Friendly Agent| Serving Houston, TX - And Surrounding Areas
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Investor-Friendly Agent| Serving Houston, TX - And Surrounding Areas
Replied May 27 2023, 16:08

@Miguel Nambo

It's very easy to form an LLC. I have formed a few in the past.

@Cody L. provided great steps on doing it yourself

The last one I formed, I used an agency to help with the formation. DM me and I can share further detail with you.

I’ll be happy to help as well if I’m able to provide value to you as a REALTOR® and investor-friendly agent. I serve Houston and surrounding areas. 

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Rohde
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Attorney
  • Dallas, TX
Replied May 31 2023, 07:52

As noted, you can DIY, but you'll eventually have to talk to an attorney if you have questions. Most clients spend $1,500 to skip the uncertainty and start the relationship.

No wrong answers...