Favorite Business Saying / Quote

Favorite Business Saying / Quote

Investor · Riverside, CA · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes

The two sayings that have taken me through difficult times in my business:
"This to shall pass," & "The only thing consistent in this business is that it is consistently inconsistent." My new one is "Enjoy the slow times." What are your favorite business sayings?

0Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
15y

The stock market has predicted 7 of the last 3 recessions - Paul Samuelson

The market will do whatever is necessary to prove the majority of experts wrong - Unknown

Your employees will treat your customers the way you treat them - Fortune Magazine

I much rather regret the things I did than the things I didn't - Lucille Ball

You can take my factories, burn down my buildings... but give me my people and I'll build those businesses right back - Henry Ford

A problem well defined is a problem half solved - John Dewey

For the same reason the pilot of this airplane keeps the engines running after we're already in the air - William Wrigley, Jr. during a flight with reporters asking why he continues to advertise even though he's the number one brand of chewing gum

See this reply in the discussion

46 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 852 votes
    15y

    Do something for the payment of gratitude, it is a debt that will never be paid. Instead do something to help others, and you will be paid back instantaneously! You cant give good away, it always comes right back!
    :D
    Rob The House Guy

  • Wholesaler · garden grove · Member since 2008 · 91 posts · 13 votes
    15y

    Ah Aaron, you're here too huh?

    Where there is a will, there's a way!!!
    and
    Tough time don't last, tough people do!!!

  • Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 495 votes
    15y

    No Problems / Only Solutions!

  • Rehabber · Powhatan, VA · Member since 2011 · 190 posts · 21 votes
    15y

    On the flip side (pardon the pun) I hate the saying " It is what it is".

    When I hear this, even just over hear it, I reply with " no it's not" I always get a strange look and a finish with " it's never what it is, it's what you make of it "

    JD

  • Real Estate Attorney · Ridgeland, MS · Member since 2011 · 22 posts · 15 votes
    15y

    "Lead with Revenue"

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    "Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." ~Niels Bohr

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    15y

    I'm sure the guru's favorite is:

    There is a fool born every minute, B T Barnum

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    The stock market has predicted 7 of the last 3 recessions - Paul Samuelson

    The market will do whatever is necessary to prove the majority of experts wrong - Unknown

    Your employees will treat your customers the way you treat them - Fortune Magazine

    I much rather regret the things I did than the things I didn't - Lucille Ball

    You can take my factories, burn down my buildings... but give me my people and I'll build those businesses right back - Henry Ford

    A problem well defined is a problem half solved - John Dewey

    For the same reason the pilot of this airplane keeps the engines running after we're already in the air - William Wrigley, Jr. during a flight with reporters asking why he continues to advertise even though he's the number one brand of chewing gum

  • Brian LevredgePro Member
    Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 903 votes
    15y

    “Many of life’s failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.†- Thomas Edison

  • SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Brian Levredge:
    “Many of life’s failures are men who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.†- Thomas Edison

    I believe after Edison's 700th attempt at the light bulb didn't work, somebody asked him what it feels like to have failed 700 times. His response was, "I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have
    succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have
    eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will
    work."

  • Lender · Pasadena, CA · Member since 2008 · 50 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    "You must take personal responsibility. You cannot change the circumstances, the seasons, or the wind, but you can change yourself" -Jim Rohn

  • Commercial Real Estate Broker · Moreno Valley, CA · Member since 2008 · 72 posts · 30 votes
    15y

    "You can't change the past,
    but you'll ruin the present
    by worrying about the future"

  • Investor · Westminster, CO · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    There are literally millions of good sayings, but let me give a few that I like.

    This one is on our refrigerator:
    "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid."
    John Wayne

    Sorry for the political bent here, but I like this:
    "A government is the most dangerous threat to man's rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims."
    Ayn Rand

    I do not know who said this, or even if it was said. I have heard it said many ways, but the way I like to say it is:
    "The regret of not trying far outweighs the pain of failure."

    Then an old favorite from High School:
    "It's difficult to soar like an eagle when you are surrounded by turkeys."

    Someone mentioned the saying, "It is what it is." I actually use this a lot, because to deny reality is to invite disaster. BUT, that saying needs to be coupled with this:
    "God grant me the serenity
    to accept the things I cannot change;
    courage to change the things I can;
    and wisdom to know the difference. "
    For example, my mom passed away last year, IT IS WHAT IT IS. Nothing is going to change that reality. But there are things that I can change, and should REFUSE to accept as reality. The real trick, aka WISDOM, is to be able to know the difference.

  • Real Estate Investor · Brooklyn · Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    15y

    “Be fearful when others are greedy and greedy when others are fearful†- Warren Buffett

    "Create a definite plan for carrying out your desire and begin at once, whether you are ready or not, to put this plan into action" - Napoleon Hill

    "Rule No.1: Never lose money. Rule No.2: Never forget rule No.1." Warren Buffett

    "When everything seems to be going against you, remember that the airplane takes off against the wind, not with it." - Henry Ford

    "Money grows on the trees of persistence" - Napoleon Hill

    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing." - Walt Disney

  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    "You’ve got to say, I think that if I keep working at this and want it badly enough I can have it. It’s called perseverance." – Lee Iacocca

    "In the business world, everyone is paid in two coins: cash and experience. Take the experience first; the cash will come later." – Harold Geneen

    "I like thinking big. If you’re going to be thinking anything, you might as well think big." – Donald Trump

    "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work." – Robert Orben

    "The critical ingredient is getting off your butt and doing something. It’s as simple as that. A lot of people have ideas, but there are few who decide to do something about them now. Not tomorrow. Not next week. But today. The true entrepreneur is a doer, not a dreamer." – Nolan Bushnell

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    14y

    Just because you went to college does not mean that you have any knowledge, experience, wisdom or even common sense.

    Experience is what you get when you do not need it any more.

  • Real Estate Investor · West Des Moines, IA · Member since 2011 · 25 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    If you think you can or think you can't.....you're right.

  • Real Estate Investor · Member since 2011 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    A personal favorite of mine, Albert Einstein's well-known quote:

    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Bakersfield, CA · Member since 2008 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    14y

    It's all about marketing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2009 · 191 posts · 47 votes
    14y

    If you want something you've never had, you need to do something you've never done.

  • Real Estate Agent · Weatherford, TX · Member since 2011 · 726 posts · 284 votes
    14y

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not: Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not: Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not: The would is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent." -- Calvin Coolidge

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Springfield/Eugene, OR · Member since 2011 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
    -Mark Twain

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Great quote Shane! Thanks for sharing.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    14y

    Here are a few more I found in some old notes:

    Learn from YOUR mistakes - do not blame others.

    Loverage: Do what you love and the money will follow.

  • Carpenter · Plympton, MA · Member since 2011 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    14y

    Maturity begins when we're content to feel we,re right about something, without feeling the necessity to prove someone else is wrong.
    Sydney J Harris

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.