Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Duplex Strategy Question

Breann Acuna
Posted Oct 19 2022, 11:58

Newbie here and hoping to make my first investment property a duplex. Would it makes sense to use one unit for LTR and the other for STR? My thought process is an LTR could offer more stable/ consistent cash flow and just seems less risky. While an STR could bring in more money, it may be less consistent or even seasonal maybe? Because this would be my first property, I don't think I'll have enough cash to fully furnish both units for an STR approach, so it's either one unit or just pursue LTR's for both units. Thoughts on this strategy?

For reference, I'm looking at Lubbock Texas and hoping an STR would appeal to travel nurses, or visitors to Texas Tech.

User Stats

Votes
Michael Dumler
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Oct 19 2022, 12:05

@Breann Acuna, I can't speak on behalf of the Lubbock, TX market, but to my understanding, the consensus for duplex STRs is they don't perform that well. Furthermore, what are lease comps indicating? I would do a quick search on STR platforms such as Airbnb and VRBO to gauge what style of home is attracting tenants. All this being said, if you're sourcing for traveling nurses, a large part of your investment strategy will be dependent on location since the subject property will have to be within proximity of a hospital. Hope this all makes sense and helps!

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Replied Oct 19 2022, 12:10

@Michael Dumler Got it, thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Travis Turner
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Oct 19 2022, 13:37
Quote from @Breann Acuna:

Newbie here and hoping to make my first investment property a duplex. Would it makes sense to use one unit for LTR and the other for STR? My thought process is an LTR could offer more stable/ consistent cash flow and just seems less risky. While an STR could bring in more money, it may be less consistent or even seasonal maybe? Because this would be my first property, I don't think I'll have enough cash to fully furnish both units for an STR approach, so it's either one unit or just pursue LTR's for both units. Thoughts on this strategy?

For reference, I'm looking at Lubbock Texas and hoping an STR would appeal to travel nurses, or visitors to Texas Tech.

Hey Breann!

I actually am an agent here in the Lubbock area, and also own a property management company, and manage short term rentals. It really depends on the location, I have a duplex that is a LTR on one side, and a STR on the other, and it does well. It is in a good spot of town, and was completely remodeled. West Texas was one of the top STR markets this past year for bookings, so it does pretty well. The STR market is more volatile than LTR, some months may be great and some may be empty. Something to consider as far as your risk tolerance!

• Real Estate Agent Texas (#660475)

Brick and Loft Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Michael Mendez
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock Tx
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock Tx
Replied Oct 19 2022, 13:55
@Breann Acuna
I would say it depends on your level of risk and the location of the STR. Either would do great here and maybe an option is to have both sides be LTR and then switch one side over to STR once you have enough cahsflow. Lubbock is a great place and I love investing here. 

User Stats

Votes
Rob Chiang
  • Rental Property Investor
  • San Mateo, CA
Votes |
  • San Mateo, CA
Replied Oct 19 2022, 15:13
Quote from @Travis Turner:

Hey Breann!

I actually am an agent here in the Lubbock area, and also own a property management company, and manage short term rentals. It really depends on the location, I have a duplex that is a LTR on one side, and a STR on the other, and it does well. It is in a good spot of town, and was completely remodeled. West Texas was one of the top STR markets this past year for bookings, so it does pretty well. The STR market is more volatile than LTR, some months may be great and some may be empty. Something to consider as far as your risk tolerance!

What is the predictable vacancy factor for STR in your area- 25%?

User Stats

Votes
Travis Turner
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Oct 19 2022, 15:18
Quote from @Rob Chiang:
Quote from @Travis Turner:

Hey Breann!

What is the predictable vacancy factor for STR in your area- 25%?

Pretty hard to “Predict” but average on good properties is 60-70% occupancy of available days. So I’d say 30% probably. 

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Replied Oct 19 2022, 16:18

@Travis Turner Awesome to hear! I'm planning a visit out there next week and have been looking at options close to hospitals and tech. I really like what I've been seeing in terms of growth for this area and excited to come visit. Thanks so much for the information! 

User Stats

Votes
Travis Turner
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lubbock, TX
Replied Oct 19 2022, 20:14

@Travis Turner Awesome to hear! I'm planning a visit out there next week and have been looking at options close to hospitals and tech. I really like what I've been seeing in terms of growth for this area and excited to come visit. Thanks so much for the information! 

Feel free to reach out, would love to do whatever I can to help in the process!

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Oct 19 2022, 21:20

If STR is killing it you should convert both to STR. I don't see the STR appeal for Lubbock but you should run the numbers and see

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Replied Oct 20 2022, 09:13

@Eliott Elias Absolutely, thanks! 

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne Johnston
  • Lubbock TX
Votes |
  • Lubbock TX
Replied Oct 24 2022, 18:44

Just curious, how did you decide on the Lubbock market?  Also, have you completed your visit yet?  

User Stats

Votes
David M.
  • Morris County, NJ
Votes |
  • Morris County, NJ
Replied Oct 24 2022, 19:04

@Breann Acuna

You should investing according to your strategy and goals.  Did you want to or intend to manage short or medium term rentals?  They are different than long term rentals.

Meanwhile, you should invest the property according to its "best use."  

Also, as part of your strategy, remember if you are going to scale, your financing approach may differ since the two different types of income will be considered differently by lenders...

Good luck.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Replied Oct 26 2022, 20:09

@Suzanne Johnston I have a girlfriend who just bought here and told me about her experience. It got me super interested and started to research the area myself. I have visited and really liked what I saw!

User Stats

Votes
Breann Acuna
Votes |
Replied Oct 26 2022, 20:09

@David M. Thanks so much!

User Stats

Votes
Suzanne Johnston
  • Lubbock TX
Votes |
  • Lubbock TX
Replied Oct 26 2022, 20:12

It’s becoming hugely popular with out of town and out of state investors the last few years and it just makes me curious.  Hope you find something!