Votes
Tre DeBraga
  • Marlborough, MA
Votes |
Young and looking to get into RE investing

Tre DeBraga
  • Marlborough, MA
Posted Sep 13 2023, 08:54

Whats up BP! I am 20 years old and looking to get into Re investing. I have studied a bunch of different methods... House hacking, BRRR, Air Bnb arbitrage etc. I guess I just dont know where to start. I am currently a RE agent (just got my license) and own a auto detailing business so my time is flexible. I currently have somewhere around 20k saved up. I feel like I understand a bunch of different methods but dont really know good contractors and lenders and things along those lines. If anyone has any words of advice or knows of someone that can mentor me that would be awesome! Thanks BP!

User Stats

Votes
John O'Leary
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Winter Park, FL
Replied Sep 13 2023, 11:45

Hey Tre,

There are plenty of good lenders listed here on BP under the build your team tab. I also know some large wholesalers in the Boston area if yo are looking for off market deals. I'd be happy to connect you. 

User Stats

Votes
Scott E.
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Votes |
  • Developer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
Replied Sep 13 2023, 11:52

So awesome that you're getting started at such a young age. You've got a bright future if you stay focused.

If I were you, I'd spend the next 5 years going nuts building your brand as a real estate agent. Start by taking on rental listings and hosting open houses. Build up a list of clients. Then start taking on buyer and seller clients of your own. And ultimately the goal should be to transition into doing more luxury higher priced homes.

If you play your cards right as an agent, you'll be 25 years old and making a significant income. Then you can take that income and start investing in real estate with it.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Daniel McDonald#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Votes |
Daniel McDonald#4 House Hacking Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Beverly, MA
Replied Sep 13 2023, 14:35

Hey Tre, I'm a 2x house hacker in Beverly, MA. It was probably the best decision I have ever made. I think house hacking is a great entry point that's also very forgiving. Always happy to share my contacts, experiences, etc. Also hosting a meetup in Beverly on the 26th if you're interested! 

User Stats

Votes
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Votes |
Benjamin Sulka#3 House Hacking Contributor
  • Cleveland, OH
Replied Sep 13 2023, 16:32

Tre, 

Kudos to pursuing real estate at 20 years old! That's awesome. 

Look deeper into house hacking. With 20k saved up it definitely is an option if you owner-occupy and put 3.5-5% down depending on home prices in your market. 

User Stats

Votes
Dan Guenther
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Longmont, CO
Replied Sep 14 2023, 09:24

Hey @Tre DeBraga - welcome to the community! 

Being an investor-friendly agent is a very different ball game from the traditional agent path. If you plan on being an investor yourself, this can really set you apart from other agents in your market and allow you to create a full-circle business. Send me a message if you want to talk through some of your questions/concerns. As a former teacher, I really enjoy the mentoring/educating aspect of real estate and don't mind sparing a bit of my time to help the future investors out there! 

Dan Guenther Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Votes |
Jake Andronico#5 House Hacking Contributor
  • Realtor
  • Reno, NV
Replied Nov 1 2023, 13:51

@Tre DeBraga

Congrats man!! You're way ahead of most. 

I respect you studying a bunch of different methods to see what may work best for you. 

I'm bias, but house hacking is by far my favorite method when starting out for many reasons. After just 2, it's already changed my life. 

Hands on experience is invaluable (especially when starting out) in my opinion. If you're an agent, you should meet with some lenders and have recommendations for your clients, and see who you like for yourself as well. 

I've used different pest control companies, handymen, flooring guys, painters, electricians, etc., just on these 2 properties and feel like I have a solid grasp of what to recommend. 

Also going to local meetups and asking questions, meeting people who have done it, etc., can be extremely beneficial. 

Good for you again for starting to think this way so young. Best of luck to you!! :)

User Stats

Votes
Tre DeBraga
  • Marlborough, MA
Votes |
  • Marlborough, MA
Replied Nov 2 2023, 07:43
Quote from @Jake Andronico:

@Tre DeBraga

Congrats man!! You're way ahead of most. 

I respect you studying a bunch of different methods to see what may work best for you. 

I'm bias, but house hacking is by far my favorite method when starting out for many reasons. After just 2, it's already changed my life. 

Hands on experience is invaluable (especially when starting out) in my opinion. If you're an agent, you should meet with some lenders and have recommendations for your clients, and see who you like for yourself as well. 

I've used different pest control companies, handymen, flooring guys, painters, electricians, etc., just on these 2 properties and feel like I have a solid grasp of what to recommend. 

Also going to local meetups and asking questions, meeting people who have done it, etc., can be extremely beneficial. 

Good for you again for starting to think this way so young. Best of luck to you!! :)

I appreciate you reaching out man! I think im definitely heading in the house hacking route..I will definitely be reaching out with questions!

User Stats

Votes
Taz Zettergren
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Memphis, TN
Replied Nov 2 2023, 07:57

@Tre DeBraga congrats on starting the journey so young! There's many of us here that are envious of you. First off, definitely get connected with other realtors and RE events. If you're starting out on the agent side and you have plenty of time I'd recommend door knocking and cold calling using redex, and focus on those median priced homes. Understand the difference ways a conversation can go when you do establish connections. Not only are you building your funnel for listings/buyers but there will be ample of opportunities to wholesale properties, flip properties, whatever you want to do. So you can help investors, yourself, home buyers, sellers etc. The sky is the limit! Wish I would have done this in 2019 but I was too scared to take the risk of quitting my job. 

Look up a good friend of mine Q Burdette. We played ball together in college but he's made an absolute killing doing this

User Stats

Votes
Charles Carillo
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • North Palm Beach, FL
Replied Jan 7 2024, 17:49
Quote from @Tre DeBraga:

Whats up BP! I am 20 years old and looking to get into Re investing. I have studied a bunch of different methods... House hacking, BRRR, Air Bnb arbitrage etc. I guess I just dont know where to start. I am currently a RE agent (just got my license) and own a auto detailing business so my time is flexible. I currently have somewhere around 20k saved up. I feel like I understand a bunch of different methods but dont really know good contractors and lenders and things along those lines. If anyone has any words of advice or knows of someone that can mentor me that would be awesome! Thanks BP!

If you are interested in house hacking or multifamily investing, DM ME. We have a free 3-month multifamily training program.