Looking to begin my journey into REI

Looking to begin my journey into REI

New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP community! Hoping you guys had a great new years, I wanted to make my first post of the new year and first post in general! My names Sebastien and I'm 24 years old looking to jump start my career into rei. I’ve been reading books and listening to podcasts and now I’m looking to attend my first meet up this month. I live in the central Florida area and I'm looking to connect with other investors in the area or in the state of Florida itself, so I can learn and get a better understanding of knowing a good deal and friendly cash flowing market. My plan is to buy and hold long term properties so I can create cash flow, interested in investing locally in the central Florida area to start out with. I'm ready to get out there and connect with other individuals and create a team to benefit myself in this journey! Any feedback/advice will be appreciated thank you.

7Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Travis TimmonsPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y

$50k of savings and 24 (assuming no family) - house hack is the first and only strategy. Get a SFH and rent out bedrooms or small multifamily.

Don't partner...it pretty much never goes as planned. And I ascribe to the "I never want to be a part of a club that would take me as a member" philosophy there. You're a new investor without a lot of capital. Anyone that would partner with you either does not know what they are doing, has no money, or has no other options.

I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you think that I can be a resource.

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley Just copy & pasting this from thread I replied to for another young person looking to start

    With little experience, it's better that you invest locally vs OOS - unless you want to invest a LOT of time learning another market and networking with th right people.

    Locally, look for a 2-4 unit property that will qualify for FHA 203(k) financing.
    - This will allow low down payment and the 203(k) allows repairs to be financed into the purchase mortgage.
    - The 203(k) will allow you to bid on properties that need repairs that won't qualify for a traditional mortgage => less competition => better purchase price.

    You will need to find a great local contractor you can trust to supply the required bids to qualify for the 203(k).
    - After closing, you can do some of the work yourself to save money, but the program doesn't allow you to pay yourself.

    You will want to buy a Class B property, maybe Class C+, in an area that seems to be improving. You want a property that has the highest probability of maxing out on appreciation.

    Once done, you would want to explore the options below to maximize your rental income:
    - STR
    - MTR
    - Rent by Room

    You should go into this understanding YOU will live in the worst unit - in an illegal unit in the basement if you can!
    - FYI: it's only illegal to try to rent it out, the property owner can usually legally live in a nonconforming basement unit.

    If you do all this you may still negatively cashflow each month, so make sure your income can cover and/or your cash reserves.

    If you do this successfully, you will learn more in 1-2 years than you would reading here on BP for 5+ years:)

    Good luck:)

  • Kristi KandelPro Member
    Developer · Fort Myers Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 383 posts · 195 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sebastien Tinsley:

    Hello BP community! Hoping you guys had a great new years, I wanted to make my first post of the new year and first post in general! My names Sebastien and I'm 24 years old looking to jump start my career into rei. I’ve been reading books and listening to podcasts and now I’m looking to attend my first meet up this month. I live in the central Florida area and I'm looking to connect with other investors in the area or in the state of Florida itself, so I can learn and get a better understanding of knowing a good deal and friendly cash flowing market. My plan is to buy and hold long term properties so I can create cash flow, interested in investing locally in the central Florida area to start out with. I'm ready to get out there and connect with other individuals and create a team to benefit myself in this journey! Any feedback/advice will be appreciated thank you.

     @Sebastien Tinsley Hey! I'm also in FL and am a RE investor (STR/MTR/LTR), developer, and just love RE and the freedom it brings. Don't hesitate to reach out and we can connect!

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Hey@Shawn McCormick and@Jose Rodriguez thanks for the responses! Would've love to attend the meeting on Jan 14th but unfortunately I will be away during that time. Interested to check out the other meetings you have coming up!

  • Kristi KandelPro Member
    Developer · Fort Myers Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 383 posts · 195 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Jorge Vazquez:

    Within my 20 years of experience, it’s great to see you getting started, Sebastien! Central Florida, especially Clermont, Orlando, Lakeland, and Tampa suburbs like Riverview and Wesley Chapel, offers solid rental demand with strong growth. Hitting local meetups is smart—Tampa has a great investor community where you can connect with wholesalers and lenders. Focus on areas with good schools and infrastructure for reliable tenants. Make sure your rent covers all expenses for positive cash flow. Keep learning, stay consistent, and reach out if you need help running numbers!

     @Jorge Vazquez I'm in St Pete for the season (Jan-April) up from FMB. I'd love to hear about some of the local meetups here to get to know people in this market! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 81 posts · 23 votes
    1y

    @Kristi Kandel is that open to everyone.

  • Mackaylee BeachPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 492 votes
    1y

    Congratulations on starting the new year by embarking your journey into the realm of real estate investing! Be sure to define your goals clearly. BP serves as an excellent platform for networking and ongoing education. Wishing you the best!

  • Kristi KandelPro Member
    Developer · Fort Myers Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 383 posts · 195 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Leslie L Meneus:

    @Kristi Kandel is that open to everyone.

     @Leslie L Meneus Which part, but probably yes! 

  • Wale LawalBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Houston | Dallas | Austin, TX · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley

    From experience, starting in real estate investing is all about clarity and action. First, define your goals know your target cash flow, ideal property type, and budget. Build a strong team, including a knowledgeable realtor, lender, and contractors, and spend time understanding your local market dynamics, especially in areas like Orlando or Tampa where demand is strong. Begin practicing deal analysis to understand numbers, and consider house hacking as a low-risk way to start. Networking through meetups and leveraging online communities like BiggerPockets can provide invaluable support and insights as you take your first steps.

    Good luck!

  • Member since 2025 · 1 post · 0 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Marcus Auerbach:

    House hacking is a financial no-brainer, it eliminates you single biggest monthly expense, so you can increase your savings rate. It also prevents you from making the #1 noobie mistake, which is buying in the hood just because it's cheap. And you can do it with little cash, 5% down conventional is better than 3.5% FHA.

    House hacking also gives you a chance to cut your teeth in all major skills: analyzing deals, buying process, financing, working with contractors, advertising for rent, background checks, property management. And all of that with training wheels, it is very hard to screw it up on a consequential scale.

    Because it is 2025 and RE is not cheap anymore I will encourage you to also look into building a business on the side. Real estate requires cash, that's why it's called in-vesting. The combination of generating extra green cash with a biz and then investing in real estate for long term weath is the way to do it.


    Hey Marcus I just got started too! Can you please explain why 5% is better than 3.5%FHA? is it cause insurance and the rates?

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    @Geovanni Cano sellers don't like FHA, it is meant for people with little money and very low credit score, plus you have an FHA inspection which can derail a deal a week before closing, nothing the buyer can do. And you have to pay PMI for the life of the loan. If you can come up with an extra 1.5% and finance with a conventional loan you have none of those downsides, a lower monthly payment and PMI only until you hit 20% equity

  • Accountant · 100% Remote · Member since 2019 · 495 posts · 216 votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley, it seems like you're doing all the right things. Consider working for a seasoned REI in your area who is doing what you're interested in within REI to learn the ropes. You can jump ahead years doing this and break out on your own once you're ready. I've seen others do this and now they're ahead of most other people who started when they did.

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 685 votes
    1y

    Hi Craig,

    After managing hundreds of properties and investing in 30 rentals myself, I've found Florida to be a great market for long-term rentals, especially in areas like Tampa Bay where there’s steady growth. My team at Graystone Investment Group works with investors to handle the whole process—finding solid deals, managing rehabs, and long-term property management.

    I get why you're looking for options closer to home, and Florida has a lot of potential when you find the right markets. If you ever want to chat about what’s working here or just compare notes, I’m happy to share what I’ve learned.

    Here to connect,
    Jorge

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
  • Inspector · Wesley Chapel · Member since 2024 · 7 posts · 10 votes
    1y

    Welcome, highly recommend reaching out to @Jorge Vazquez. He is knowledgeable about real estate investments and will guide you through. Good luck on you're new venture! 

  • Member since 2023 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    1y

    hi @sebastian tinsley, how are you?

    After many books and podcasts, just like you, I decided to start DOING this year. 

    I am based in Apopka. would love to connect and share thoughts and ideas. 

    I am attending "Like Minded People" Meetup event tonight, downtown Orlando. 

    I'd love to connect with you. 

  • Contractor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 72 posts · 16 votes
    1y

    Hey Sebastien — welcome to BP and happy new year! You're doing it right: taking in the education, showing up to meetups, and starting locally. Central Florida’s a great market with strong long-term potential.

    Getting a feel for what a “good deal” looks like in this area can take time, especially when rehab costs and value-add potential are part of the equation. You’ll get there faster by staying plugged into the community and walking real properties. I’ll shoot you a DM to connect and share a few tips that might help 👊

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.