Looking to begin my journey into REI

Looking to begin my journey into REI

New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes

Hello BP community! Hoping you guys had a great new years, I wanted to make my first post of the new year and first post in general! My names Sebastien and I'm 24 years old looking to jump start my career into rei. I’ve been reading books and listening to podcasts and now I’m looking to attend my first meet up this month. I live in the central Florida area and I'm looking to connect with other investors in the area or in the state of Florida itself, so I can learn and get a better understanding of knowing a good deal and friendly cash flowing market. My plan is to buy and hold long term properties so I can create cash flow, interested in investing locally in the central Florida area to start out with. I'm ready to get out there and connect with other individuals and create a team to benefit myself in this journey! Any feedback/advice will be appreciated thank you.

7Reply
83 views

Most Popular Reply

Travis TimmonsPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
1y

$50k of savings and 24 (assuming no family) - house hack is the first and only strategy. Get a SFH and rent out bedrooms or small multifamily.

Don't partner...it pretty much never goes as planned. And I ascribe to the "I never want to be a part of a club that would take me as a member" philosophy there. You're a new investor without a lot of capital. Anyone that would partner with you either does not know what they are doing, has no money, or has no other options.

I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you think that I can be a resource.

See this reply in the discussion

47 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 351 votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley Welcome to Bigger Pockets !!

    You have a very nicely thought out plan and once you get the CORE 4 you are in great shape!!  I wish you the best in your investing journey and this forum has many wise people who can give good guidance.

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Thank you @John Mason appreciate it and yes I've noticed that there's quite a lot of people who can spread great knowledge I'm wanting to put to use. Hope this new year treats you well! 

  • Nathan GesnerBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
    1y

    Go to GET STARTED > EVENTS AND MEETUPS at the top of your screen. You can also check meetup.com or search Facebook for real estate investment groups, clubs, or meetings in your area.

    1. Start with BiggerPockets Ultimate Beginners Guide (free). It will familiarize you with the basic terminology and benefits. Then you can read a more in-depth book like The Book On Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner or The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss.

    2. Prioritize your financial stability. Eliminate debt, establish a budget, and save. Remember, the notion of amassing wealth without investing is a dangerous myth perpetuated by self-proclaimed experts. A prudent investor doesn't seek quick riches through shortcuts. To thrive in real estate investing, you must maintain a firm grip on your finances. Explore my personal favorites, Set For Life by Scott Trench or The Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey, for invaluable financial insights.

    3. As you read these books, watch the BiggerPockets podcasts. This will clarify and reinforce what you are reading. You can hear real-world examples of how others have built their investment portfolio and (hopefully) learn to avoid their mistakes.

    4. NETWORK!!! Get out of your comfort zone. Stop hanging out with your deadbeat buddies who spend all day drinking, talking sports, and otherwise wasting away. Go to BUILD YOUR TEAM at the top of the screen and look for local investors or meetups in your area. You can also find real estate investing groups through meetup.com, Facebook, or a Google search. Birds of a feather flock together!

    5. Now, you need to figure out how to find deals and pay for them. Again, the BiggerPockets store has some books on this topic, or you can learn about it by watching podcasts, reading blogs, and interacting on the forum. A handy search bar in the upper right makes it easy to find previous discussions, blogs, podcasts, and other resources. BiggerPockets also has a calculator to analyze deals, and I highly recommend you start this as soon as possible, even if you are not ready to buy. If you consistently analyze properties, recognizing a good deal will be much easier when it shows up. Find Brandon's videos on YouTube for the "four square" method of analyzing homes and practice. It doesn't take long to learn how to spot a good deal.

    6. Study the market. You can learn to do this independently or get a rockstar REALTOR to lead the way. I highly recommend a well-qualified REALTOR who works with investors and knows how to help you best.

    7. Jump in! Far too many get stuck in the "paralysis by analysis" stage, thinking they just don't know enough to get started. You could read 100 books and still need to learn more because certain things must be learned through trial and error. You don't need to know everything to get started; you need a foundation to build on, and the rest will come through experience and then refining your education.

    You can build a basic understanding of investing in 3-6 months. How long it takes to be financially ready is different for everyone. Once you're ready, create a goal (e.g., "I will buy at least one single-family home, duplex, triplex, or fourplex before the end of 2019") and then do it. Real estate investing is forgiving; the average person can still make money even with some big mistakes.

    The DIY Landlord Book4.7248 Reviews
  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley, Welcome to BP and the REI world.

    It sounds like you are in a great position at your age.  There are a number of groups that meet in the Central Florida area.  That is a good next step to get an idea of good markets, and Deals.  You can then get help setting up your team and narrowing down your strategy.  Great comments be @Nathan Gesner,  most important, take action!  

    I talk with investors all the time that get stuck in the numbers and never take action.  If you wait for the perfect deal it will never come.  In a buy and hold strategy most real estate deals
    will work over time.  

    Best of luck!

  • River SavaPro Member
    Lender · USA · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    Welcome to BP, Sebastien - 

    I'm not too far away in TPA. Happy to connect with you, and good luck as you start out!

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

     @Nathan Gesner I’m trying to get out of my comfort zone and take action, im heading to my first local meet up next weekend so im pumped for that. I’ve been trying to study the market and analyze deals on a day to day basis most of the time when I’m not working or out. Hopefully I am accurate with how I am doing it. I have a couple markets that I am looking at and trying to compare in central Florida for a start, thank you for the insight I appreciate any help from you guys!

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Hey @Todd Anderson thanks for the warm welcoming. I’m hoping this meet up will help get a better understanding of what markets are good and not good depending on my strategy in central Florida. I definitely want to build a team I’m just still trying to figure out how to begin with that though. Any advice on that? As much of an introvert I am, I’m trying to push myself out of my comfort zone so I do not get stuck. I’m looking to buy and hold property! Thank you for replying to my post! 

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    Hey @River Sava thanks for reaching out! Yeah not far at all, im over in the Clermont area. I’d be happy to connect with you. Thank you I’m going to need it, happy new year to you!

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sebastien Tinsley:

    Hello BP community! Hoping you guys had a great new years, I wanted to make my first post of the new year and first post in general! My names Sebastien and I'm 24 years old looking to jump start my career into rei. I’ve been reading books and listening to podcasts and now I’m looking to attend my first meet up this month. I live in the central Florida area and I'm looking to connect with other investors in the area or in the state of Florida itself, so I can learn and get a better understanding of knowing a good deal and friendly cash flowing market. My plan is to buy and hold long term properties so I can create cash flow, interested in investing locally in the central Florida area to start out with. I'm ready to get out there and connect with other individuals and create a team to benefit myself in this journey! Any feedback/advice will be appreciated thank you.

    Hey @Sebastien Tinsley, welcome to the BP Forum! What type of properties are you looking to start adding to your portfolio? SF, 2-4 MF, or 5+ MF? And what is your price point and are you looking for turn-key properties or something along the lines of a "fixer upper"?

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    How are you @Jaycee Greene I’m looking for SF and 2-4 MF, fixer up but more on the cosmetic end. As for my price point I have $50k in savings which I’m still growing it with my W-2, I’m also trying to use as little of my savings if possible, So I’m also into the idea of trying to find another investor to partner up with for the right deal. So all in all I’m not quite sure what my price point is or how to figure it out yet. Any insight on that?

  • Todd AndersonPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2023 · 392 posts · 175 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sebastien Tinsley:

    Hey @Todd Anderson thanks for the warm welcoming. I’m hoping this meet up will help get a better understanding of what markets are good and not good depending on my strategy in central Florida. I definitely want to build a team I’m just still trying to figure out how to begin with that though. Any advice on that? As much of an introvert I am, I’m trying to push myself out of my comfort zone so I do not get stuck. I’m looking to buy and hold property! Thank you for replying to my post! 


     Feel free to reach out and we can connect and talk about your specific goals.

  • Travis TimmonsPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Ellsworth, ME · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y

    $50k of savings and 24 (assuming no family) - house hack is the first and only strategy. Get a SFH and rent out bedrooms or small multifamily.

    Don't partner...it pretty much never goes as planned. And I ascribe to the "I never want to be a part of a club that would take me as a member" philosophy there. You're a new investor without a lot of capital. Anyone that would partner with you either does not know what they are doing, has no money, or has no other options.

    I have nothing to sell and would be happy to help if you think that I can be a resource.

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sebastien Tinsley:

    How are you @Jaycee Greene I’m looking for SF and 2-4 MF, fixer up but more on the cosmetic end. As for my price point I have $50k in savings which I’m still growing it with my W-2, I’m also trying to use as little of my savings if possible, So I’m also into the idea of trying to find another investor to partner up with for the right deal. So all in all I’m not quite sure what my price point is or how to figure it out yet. Any insight on that?

    Are there any people in the community you're close to (or you have family members that are friends with) that may be a potential partner? You'd be surprised at how many people are looking to work with real estate developers to generate returns higher than the market, but they don't widely advertise this. One thing to consider is the type of investor you want to work with: one that is just a "financial investor" (aka money person) or a "developer investor" (someone that knows real estate development already).
  • Real Estate Consultant · Columbia, MD · Member since 2017 · 160 posts · 55 votes
    1y

    Hi @Sebastien Tinsley,

    Welcome to the community, Sebastien! You're off to a great start by educating yourself and planning to attend meetups—that’s where the magic happens! Central Florida is a solid market with strong rental demand, especially in growing areas like Orlando, Tampa, and Lakeland.

    Focus on building relationships with local agents, lenders, and property managers—they’ll help you identify good deals. Start small and aim for properties that cash flow well, even after accounting for taxes, insurance, and repairs.

    Most importantly, keep taking action! You're already ahead by putting yourself out there.

    • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Trevor Finn yeah I'm looking forward to this meet up, a little nervous but excited nonetheless. I'm currently looking in the Lakeland area right now also Ocala and Gainesville for cash flowing properties. I'm looking to build a team soon just still gaining knowledge through the books, podcasts, and forums as of now. Thank you for the advice Trevor!

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    @Todd Anderson definitely, id be happy to connect.

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    hey @Travis Timmons thank you for the insight I’d never thought about it that way. I’d be happy to connect and get to chat with you.

  • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
    1y

    @Jaycee Greene as of right now I am not close to anyone in the community but am looking to change that.

  • Jaycee GreenePro Member
    Real Estate Consultant · St. Louis MSA · Member since 2024 · 3k+ posts · 727 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Sebastien Tinsley:

    @Jaycee Greene as of right now I am not close to anyone in the community but am looking to change that.

    With that, I'd recommend following @Trevor Finn's advice! Good luck!

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley

    i heartily second what @Travis Timmons said.  start with a house hack.  the more inconvenience you are willing to put up with now - the better off you will be long term.  if you do nothing but house hack a few times in a row you could have a small portfolio in just a few years using just your monthly housing payment.  so: buy a house.  rent out all the bedrooms to your friends.  sleep in the basement or on a couch.  buy a small multi and live in the smaller unit.  buy a house with a pool house and live in the pool house. etc. 

    going to meetups and networking is also good. and... partnering at this point doesn't make sense.

    hope this helps.  happy to answer any questions you have.  nothing to sell.  i don't invest in florida, not an agent, not an anything.

    • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Nicholas L. Yeah I'm interested in house hacking. Is that how you started? And if so, how was it for you? I'm sure it was a lot of work.  

  • New to Real Estate · California, US · Member since 2025 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Hello Sebastien, it's nice to meet you!

    I am 23 and live in Orange County down in southern California. I am also interested in multifamily house hacking. I am excited for my first networking event later this month and hope to make meaningful connections. It seems like we have similar plans and interests in real estate investing, I would be happy to connect and bounce ideas off of each other. I'm sure we can share insights from our different markets on other sides of the country. 

    Best!

    • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Marc Anthony Maciel likewise man!

      Let's connect and chat! Be interesting to see with us having two markets on opposite sides of the country!

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    1y

    House hacking is a financial no-brainer, it eliminates you single biggest monthly expense, so you can increase your savings rate. It also prevents you from making the #1 noobie mistake, which is buying in the hood just because it's cheap. And you can do it with little cash, 5% down conventional is better than 3.5% FHA.

    House hacking also gives you a chance to cut your teeth in all major skills: analyzing deals, buying process, financing, working with contractors, advertising for rent, background checks, property management. And all of that with training wheels, it is very hard to screw it up on a consequential scale.

    Because it is 2025 and RE is not cheap anymore I will encourage you to also look into building a business on the side. Real estate requires cash, that's why it's called in-vesting. The combination of generating extra green cash with a biz and then investing in real estate for long term weath is the way to do it.

  • Shawn McCormickPro Member
    Realtor · Central Florida-Orlando · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 892 votes
    1y

    @Jose Rodriguez Welcome! I'm local here in Orlando (Clermont, just like you!). There are several groups that have meetings, check the 'get started' tab up top and look for any that are listed there, plus the meetup app and I am on the board of the local REIA. 

    That's a great place to start, we have over 1000 local members and hold about 20 meet ups a month. If you want more information on that, let me know. We actually have our main meeting coming up on January 14 and a county meetup in Clermont the following week . Check out Central Florida Realty Investors (cfri). I can get you a free guest pass for your first meeting if you like. 

    Best of luck!

  • Jose RodriguezPro Member
    Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2018 · 7 posts · 8 votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley Welcome, I recently moved to the Orlando area and have met some amazing people here. There’s so much to learn, and everyone is really supportive, especially if you’re just starting out.

    This platform is amazing and yes, meet-ups are a great way to get get some face time, get connected and start building your network. I second @Shawn McCormick, the CFRI is a great place to get started. It’s an awesome group with lots of experienced investors who are happy to share advice. It’s a game-changer.

  • Jonathan SmallPro Member
    Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 151 votes
    1y

    @Sebastien Tinsley 

    Welcome to the exciting world of real estate investing! BiggerPockets is a fantastic resource.

    What's your biggest question or fear as you start your REI journey? Knowing this can help the community point you to the best resources. Also, have you considered a specific investment strategy (e.g. rentals, fix & flips)? Sharing your goals will get you even more targeted advice.

    @John Mason rightly mentions your CORE 4.  My property manager is top of my list for my CORE 4.

    I agree with @Nathan Gesner that you need to get out and start meeting people in person.  Check your local real estate association meetings as a resource.

    I also like the idea of house hacking mentioned by @Travis Timmons and @Nicholas L.  I just started partnering and it has gone well for me.  You just have to have clear expectations and a healthy margin for error.

    Good luck!

    • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Jonathan Small hey after giving some thought, the strategy I am considering is house hacking. I'd say my biggest question right now is how to get accurate numbers for when analyzing a deal (specifically insurance and rent) and what's the ideal percentage to use for variable costs? I tend to use 8% for vacancy, 5-10% for repairs depending on the condition of the property, and 7-9% for cap ex. I must've missed the core 4, what is that? Thank you.

  • Jorge VazquezBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Tampa, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    1y

    Within my 20 years of experience, it’s great to see you getting started, Sebastien! Central Florida, especially Clermont, Orlando, Lakeland, and Tampa suburbs like Riverview and Wesley Chapel, offers solid rental demand with strong growth. Hitting local meetups is smart—Tampa has a great investor community where you can connect with wholesalers and lenders. Focus on areas with good schools and infrastructure for reliable tenants. Make sure your rent covers all expenses for positive cash flow. Keep learning, stay consistent, and reach out if you need help running numbers!

    Graystone Investment Group4.6271 Reviews
    • New to Real Estate · Clermont, FL · Member since 2024 · 17 posts · 11 votes
      1y

      @Jorge Vazquez thanks! I'm trying to learn and gain confidence for when I'm ready! What communities do they have in Tampa? I've been trying to look on biggerpckets but can't seem to get results on it. Right now I am running numbers to get a feel and recognize a good deal when the time comes, would be helpful to run some numbers with you. Are you located in FL?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.