First bandit sign campaign

First bandit sign campaign

Wholesaler · Clearfield, UT · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes

This weekend I did my first bandit sign campaign! I went to pick them up on sunday evening and after puttting out 25 of them 9 were gone. I was pretty upset and so far I have got one call. What was weird was that some of the signs were taken off the posts and some of the posts and signs were gone. I cant seem to figure out if it were the different cities or business that took the signs or just people being A holes. I sure am not expecting to get amazing results right away but I wasn't expecting to lose that many signs. Any thoughts, comments, or advice?

0Reply
72 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
12y

Darren, nobody cares about how you react to negativity, or is scared about you not playing nice. When you post here, you don't get to choose who comments. When you put bandit signs out, they're illegal, and it's ridiculous to expect someone to call you so you can come save your $1.50. People will throw them away, use them for garage sale signs, work for food signs, whatever. It's part of the drill. If $14 upsets you, you're in the wrong biz.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Stockton, CA · Member since 2014 · 167 posts · 49 votes
    12y

    wow, 9 out of 25 gone already is a HUGE number. But here is what i would expect from this point. The ones that were going to go are already gone. I wouldn't expect 16 to drop down to 10 in couple of days now.

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    If you put the signs on private property that could be the reason they are gone.


    Joe Gore

  • Wholesaler · Clearfield, UT · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    Some that were taken were on private property right by a main street and others weren't. I did have some on private property that didn't get taken. The one issue I have is if a business takes the sign why can't they just call me and say it's not allowed then I could come and pick the signs up. It may not seem like a lot but but losing 9 signs puts me out 14 bucks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Darren Nichols:
    Some that were taken were on private property right by a main street and others weren't. I did have some on private property that didn't get taken. The one issue I have is if a business takes the sign why can't they just call me and say it's not allowed then I could come and pick the signs up. It may not seem like a lot but but losing 9 signs puts me out 14 bucks.

    WOW you need the business to tell you not to litter with your stupid signs? Signs are for losers. Don't put them on people's property.

    I find it funny you had no trouble putting signs on people's property and act all pissed when they are taken.

    For the record I take down all the signs like that in my neighborhood. They look terrible and make it look ghetto as hell.

    Stay off people's property

  • Dallas, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 744 votes
    12y

    @Scott K.,

    Do you take down election signs also.

    Joe Gore

  • Wholesaler · Clearfield, UT · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Scott K the signs were put up next to a business that are by say a walmart but I place them by a stop sign or stop lights. Scott your optimism and kind words are greatly appreciated. I hope that you can take your profound advice and help so many other new investors succeed!! ;)

    P.S Don't ever comment on my posts again because I dont play nice when it comes to negativity.

  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y

    Darren, nobody cares about how you react to negativity, or is scared about you not playing nice. When you post here, you don't get to choose who comments. When you put bandit signs out, they're illegal, and it's ridiculous to expect someone to call you so you can come save your $1.50. People will throw them away, use them for garage sale signs, work for food signs, whatever. It's part of the drill. If $14 upsets you, you're in the wrong biz.

  • Wholesaler · Clearfield, UT · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    @Wayne Brooks they aren't illegal. Many successful wholesale investors use them and many cash buyers benefit from them. Of course 14 dollars upsets me as I am new to this business. I work full time in a job that doesnt pay real well considering I get told things and experience things that would make put your tail between your legs and probably wet yourself.

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    Check your city code. EVERY ONE I've reviewed, including one just recently after another bandit sign discussion, has banned them. So, my money is on them being illegal in your city, too. The consequences can be more serious than just losing the sign. Fines.

    Lots of folks tear them down here or partially destroy them.

    Use a legal marketing method instead of breaking the law for profit.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Elkridge, MD · Member since 2014 · 77 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    @Wayne Brooks "work for food signs" - That's so funny

  • Landlord and Rehabber · Newton, MA · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 877 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Darren Nichols:
    @Wayne Brooks they aren't illegal. Many successful wholesale investors use them and many cash buyers benefit from them. Of course 14 dollars upsets me as I am new to this business. I work full time in a job that doesnt pay real well considering I get told things and experience things that would make put your tail between your legs and probably wet yourself.

    If you don't think that they are illegal why were you taking them down on Sunday evening (Presumably before the code officers went back to work on Monday)?

  • Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2014 · 58 posts · 12 votes
    12y

    Darren,

    I believe all signs in Utah must have a permit and are limited to time periods.

    "No sign shall be erected, raised, installed, moved, placed, replaced, reconstructed, remodeled, extended, enlarged or altered unless a sign permit is first obtained from the Community Development Department."


    I would take down the signs and try something different. If you've listed your personal phone number, Code Enforcement could track you down. Might look bad considering your day to day profession.

    Bryce

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y

    Well, Darren, in your 34 total posts as of my post you've managed to alienate several more experienced posters and even threatened another.

    Free Online discussion forums like BP, are great for getting feedback from seasoned investors and sometimes both detailed advise and unexpected perspectives. The downside is that anyone can chime in, whether you approve of their opinion or not.

    I encourage you to recognize that not everyone will be in Harmony with your plans, ideas and conclusions. That implies that we all have the right to be wrong.

    Your challenge is to post here in such a way that you attract answers and solutions that are helpful, although they may not always seem useful in the heat of the moment. Otherwise, you'll just attract controversy and you'll only harvest conflict for yourself.

    Or, go pay for help and argue with them while the meter's running.

  • Real Estate Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    I am in agreement that bandit sign are illegal. There are better ways of getting the same job done with less hassle. On the other hand, look it at the home owner point of view. The home owner just paid a lot of money for the home or business and the law tells them they have to keep their yard clean, or the city will come and give them a fine for not doing so. Then out of no where they see black and white signs all on their yard. Yes, the home owner is angry and has to remove the signs and make a point to whom ever did it to them. the point is, go ahead and put bandit signs on my yard, and I will take them. but, if the person, still does not learn then the home owner will report it to the city and the will fine the person doing the crime. (trans passing and littering) The homeowner has no choice, because it ether the home owner get fined for having the bandit signs in his yard or the person. If the person was smart, he/she could of made arrangement with the homeowner and not just dump his signs in the homeowners yard. it tells me that this person is not concern about other people concerns, except his own.

    I am sorry to say this, but this is a non- professional lazyman way of doing business. Be smart and learn a lesson from this before it get ugly for you by paying a fine or going to jail.

    My suggestion is save up your money and buy some real ads, or just go on craiglist it free or even work with a real estate agent or mortgage company. This way you don't have to cry about how hard your life is at a young age and your $14 dollars you spent and make some real income.

    Sorry to say this, but this is how it is done. It not all about the money

    Best Wishes on a lesson leaned.

  • Investor · The Colony, TX · Member since 2013 · 283 posts · 205 votes
    12y

    @Darren Nichols most investors spend thousands of dollars trying to get their first deal and continue to spend thousands of dollars getting each deal after that. So, to complain about losing 9 bandit signs is a little weak. Considering that bandit signs are probably illegal and can come with huge fines you may look at a different form of marketing.

    Join your local REIA and get to know all of the people there. Learn who the real investors are and see if you can partner up with them. Offer to do free work, make phone calls or anything to get your foot in the door. Ask them to take you around to their sites and explain what they are doing and how they do it.

    You'll get some that won't want to help you but your bound to find someone that is willing to exchange some knowledge for some free help.

    Also, no one cares how you play when it comes to negativity. If you do not like someone being negative, rude or rejecting you, then you are in the wrong business. 99% of your investment leads are going to laugh at you, cuss you out, reject your offer, threaten you with bodily harm, etc etc etc. That's just the nature of the beast when you are trying to buy someones house at 40 or 50 cents on the dollar. A lot of people even if they say they want to sell and know that you are an investor get very offended when you offer 70% minus expenses.

  • Real Estate Agent · Winter haven, FL · Member since 2011 · 572 posts · 336 votes
    12y

    Bandit signs expendable personally they what you pay for them compaired to what you lose does not balance out. Especially if they are the printed one and not the blank ones. I did find though that putting them up on corners were there are vacant lots works well since it is private land they usually don't take them down. Also if you put them up high on telephone poles they usually won't come down. You will run in to code enforcement issues so make sure you use a google voice number(or something similair) so your number can not be tracked.

    I will admitted when I first started I did not have enough money to buy a load of signs and I kept seeing the ones in the area full over or be taken buy code enforcement. One day I went to a gas station and the owner was taking them down and tucking them behind a Ice Freezer. I took them home clean them up and reused them, once those ran out I stole the signs that were out on a Sunday night, cleaned off the permanent marker with rubbing alcohol and reused them.

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    a) The bandit sign topic in here is like handling nuclear waste. I've learned not to touch it.
    b) Bandit signs are taught by gurus and used mostly by newbies now.
    c) The guys that actually buy a ton of houses use more traditional (and legal) forms of paid marketing.
    d) The marketing cost to get a single deal can be $2,000 easy in many markets. Maybe it's $1,000 in Utah. Point is - deals cost money to find. But this is a business, and when people can make $5,000, $10,000 or more on a deal, they will pay $2K to get that deal. Be prepared to compete with those guys or try your best to become one of them if you want to survive and thrive in this business.

  • UT · Member since 2013 · 164 posts · 55 votes
    12y

    You mentioned if they would notify you that you would come and pick up the sign. 2 thoughts on this: wouldn't it cost you as much in gas and time as the sign is worth to go and pick it up? And if you are expecting a call from them, why not be more pro-active and call them in the first place and ask for permission?

    @Dev Horn: You mention more traditional and legal forms of paid marketing. Outside of webuyhouses, can you give us some general ideas what you are referring to? Is it mostly direct mail?

  • Dev HornPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Arlington, TX · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    The two "workhorses" are direct mail and pay-per-click (PPC) (Google/Bing). Direct mail works because we are going after very specific people (criteria) and PPC works because we advertise on very specific keyword combinations. The effectiveness is a result of the highly targeted nature of these methods.

    We have guys that are doing well with billboards in areas where they are affordable, and I know 2 guys that are now doing electronic billboards and getting a really good deal on that compared to old-school printed billboards.

    I really like door hangers - as much for branding as for direct response (i.e. don't bank on a high response rate, especially the first time you do it). I like that they are not mixed in with a pile of mail...

    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot." ~ Will Rogers

  • Ben G.Pro Member
    Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 647 posts · 196 votes
    12y

    @Darren Nichols don't forget to search on Craigslist for leads as well. Look for people who are listing their properties for rent and FSBO. Yes it takes work, but it sounds like you don't have a lot of money to invest so you must invest time rather than money. Best of luck to you.

  • Real Estate Investor · Madison Heights, MI · Member since 2014 · 693 posts · 216 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Darren Nichols:
    @Wayne Brooks they aren't illegal. Many successful wholesale investors use them and many cash buyers benefit from them. Of course 14 dollars upsets me as I am new to this business. I work full time in a job that doesnt pay real well considering I get told things and experience things that would make put your tail between your legs and probably wet yourself.

    HAHAHAHAHAHA dude I inspect HUD properties in Detroit. You think you have a more dangerous job than that????????????????/ I go into the worse of the worse zip codes in this country.

    You think those comments means anything to me.

    See you need to learn from this. It seems like you are not wanting to learn of the different ways to find the deals.

    Wholesellers are NOT real estate investors.

    $14 means nothing to me. You need to save up more money and give yourself a chance to make it. You have no margin for error.

    You need thicker skin in this business. How would you ever deal with an end buyer or a contractor

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Before any of the rest of you make blanket statements about bandit signs being "illegal", please realize that there are actually areas of the country that are outside of city/municipal limits. And these areas often do not have codes relating to signs (and often no zoning either). And more, many small towns don't have sign codes even inside the city limits. I have nothing to gain from this - I don't coach students to use bandit signs, and I don't sell bandit signs. But seriously, do you really think that your experience of city living is common and homogeneous throughout the entire USofA?

  • Sherman Oaks, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    In LA, I rarely see bandit signs up for more than a day. They are called bandit signs remember. They are in a legal grey area at best. Expect to lose all of them consistantly and factor in your budget is my newbie take. I do think in some outlier areas they could last much longer. Wendell in Chicago is having recent success with bandit signs or maybe I read his post wrong.

    Most cities have pretty clear ordinances for signage and bandit signs don't fall into any acceptable or allowed interpretation from what I have experienced.

    Thanks,

    Matt

  • Wholesaler · Clearfield, UT · Member since 2014 · 51 posts · 13 votes
    12y

    This will be the very last post from me on this topic. I appreciate those that have offered advice that was in no way condescending. I realize that I am new and I also realize many of you HATE bandit signs and that is understandable. I will say that it is not illegal everywhere in the country and I will for sure find out where in my area it is legal and in the areas that it is legal I will still put them out. I have been testing out different marketing strategies and if I get results from bandit signs I will continue to use them where it is legal. I simply put mine out because I have learned that it was a marketing strategy that gets results (which I have gotten 4 calls) and I see them all over the place and I honestly had no idea they were illegal in some areas. I will also be doing yellow letters, craigslist, google ad words, eventually creating a squeeze page etc. I have thick skin my life gets threatened every day and I get into fights with people that want blood, I was merely pointing out that calling somebody a loser for putting out bandit signs is pretty ridiculous when the whole point of bigger pockets is to help out each other and not tear people down. If people are putting out bandit signs and knowing it is illegal in that particular area then that is wrong. I am sure many of you started out at one point where you didn't have a lot of money and had to start somewhere in order to get where you are at today. If I happened to upset, alienate, or offend anyone out there well I guess it is what it is and I can’t change that. I will do what I have to do to be successful within the parameters of the law even if it means putting out ghetto bandit signs.

    Thanks for all the replies :)

  • Lilburn, GA · Member since 2013 · 20 posts · 5 votes
    12y

    Most people here have beat you up. I feel bad for you but they are right but keep reading. Well when I first started I did some things wrong too not knowing better but I think they are swinging at you so hard because you have your boxing gloves on. Best advise ever, never burn your bridges. My Daddy in 1988. It wasn't original but it left an impression. Next think bigger and ask questions of the right people. Also always turn a negative into a positive. Take the good, leave the bad and respond well in spite of someone else because it gets doors opened that you did not know where there. I personally think that perspective is relative so find a way to accomplish what you want ethically. I wish you well as you learn.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.