In my 50s and just starting out, seeking advice

In my 50s and just starting out, seeking advice

IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes

Hello everyone,

I am a new investor from Lubbock Texas. I joined biggerpockets about 4 months ago. I have been researching my options in real estate ever since, trying to decide which aspect of it would best fit me. I’ve been reading on the forums and blogs and listening to the podcasts every time I get in my car (about half way through all of them now). I’ve also been scouring trulia and zillow trying to get familiar with what’s out there and costs of different properties. I’ve decided on buy and hold. I am open to either single family or small multi family. I want to have at least one rental by the middle of the year and I would like to have at least two by the end of the year. I would also not be opposed to a flip if the right deal surfaced while I’m searching for a rental.

With the holidays behind, I am now dedicated to putting things in action. My first step was to contact banks. I have 2 appointments this week and have emailed a few others. One of the banks is a portfolio lender. All of this leaves me with a few questions.

Any specific questions I should ask while interviewing the bank? I am intrigued by self directed IRAs since hearing about them. Should I discuss this with the banks I visit or should I find a financial advisor for that later on?

After deciding on a bank, what other team members do I need to find next? Any recommedations? I am planning on managing the property myself, at least in the beginning. I can do most minor repairs myself but will hire out bigger jobs out.

What documents should I obtain before purchasing my first rental? I know I need a lease. But from where? Online? Attorney? 

Any other advice? I appreciate everyone on here, this is such a great community.

4Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
10y

@Michael Fortier

Welcome to the vibrant BP community. Ok, now that you have taken your initial step, below are some quick links to get engaged.

Below, are some links that will help to get you started.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/05/26/real-estate-financing/ (RE financing)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27/financing-options-rental-property-guide/ (financing options for rentals)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/06/bp-podcast-060-serge-shukhat/ (0-68 rentals in 4 years)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/08/02/passive-real-estate-investing/ (slowly building wealth through passive investing)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/04/how-to-rent-your-house/ (house rental guide)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/02/22/buying-rental-property/ (how to buy a rental property)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/courses/a-beginners-introduction-to-real-estate-investing (video courses)

https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing (Ultimate beginner's guide to REI)

REI can be very daunting, but, before you go searching for that 1st buy, please take a few minutes to bone up on the tips in link below.

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/19/real-estate-investing-success-smart-tips/

REI books suggested by BPers

https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/13/7-real-estate-books-beginner-investors/ (7 absolute must read books for beginner REI)

http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books (books recommended by BPers)

Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 354 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    Are you looking for turnkey rentals? Or are you looking to buy wholesale and have instant equity?

    A lot of the questions you ask are based on what kind of rental you are looking for. I buy wholesale properties, rehab them and them rent them. I pay cash and make sure my houses fit the 70% rule. One they are rentals, I can pull out the equity in a HELOC or cash to refi to do another deal.

    I would definitely use an attorney for the lease. You should be able to get one fairly cheap. Under 100 bucks.

  • Investor · Bay Shore, NY · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 688 votes
    10y

    @Michael Fortier

    Welcome to the vibrant BP community. Ok, now that you have taken your initial step, below are some quick links to get engaged.

    Below, are some links that will help to get you started.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/05/26/real-estate-financing/ (RE financing)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/03/27/financing-options-rental-property-guide/ (financing options for rentals)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/03/06/bp-podcast-060-serge-shukhat/ (0-68 rentals in 4 years)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/08/02/passive-real-estate-investing/ (slowly building wealth through passive investing)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/01/04/how-to-rent-your-house/ (house rental guide)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/02/22/buying-rental-property/ (how to buy a rental property)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/courses/a-beginners-introduction-to-real-estate-investing (video courses)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/real-estate-investing (Ultimate beginner's guide to REI)

    REI can be very daunting, but, before you go searching for that 1st buy, please take a few minutes to bone up on the tips in link below.

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2014/12/19/real-estate-investing-success-smart-tips/

    REI books suggested by BPers

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2015/11/13/7-real-estate-books-beginner-investors/ (7 absolute must read books for beginner REI)

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/renewsblog/2013/04/14/best-real-estate-books/?utm_source=search&utm_medium=internal&utm_campaign=books (books recommended by BPers)

    Simply, bone up on the areas that you need to expand knowledge in such as, Forums, Marketplace, Learn, Network, Analyze and Resources.

    Feast on the Podcasts, #askbp Podcasts, blogs and webinars

    Lastly, this site thrives on interactions and as such we encourage two way exchanges and look forward to educational and thought provoking ideas relevant to REI.

  • Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thanks for this post Micheal, the responses really helped me as well.

  • IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Simon Shih

    I am open to either turnkey or something that needs work. I dont really know any wholesalers in Lubbock yet, so i have been scouring the MLS, and any other sites that have houses for sale, looking for a deal that needs some updating.

  • Lubbock, TX · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 1 vote
    10y
    There is a Lubbock REIA that meets the last Tuesday of the month. I haven't made it to a meeting yet but am planning on going to my first this month. I am in about the same position here and just looking to network with other investors to find the best small Multi-Family property to start out with. Jeff Smith any comment?
  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 354 posts · 186 votes
    10y

    Iff you don't know wholesaler, I would try and meet some. Try a local real estate investing company. You can also try Craigslist or calling the numbers on bandit signs. Most only deal with cash buyers, so that limits you. I find my own deals through mail marketing campaigns and drive for dollars. It's harder on the MLS, but not impossible.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2012 · 80 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    Hello all, Thanks for the intro @Stetson Hector 

    I am a local wholesaler, investor, and novice ice fisherman in the resent winters here in Lubbock (lol) I sent you a friend request @Michael Fortier so we can connect here. I also am the President of the @LubbockREIA (Twitter and Periscope handle) so please visit our site and connect with us. (Anyone who is interested) As far as your question goes... It all depends on what your goals are. What do you want to accomplish with real estate?

  • IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    @Linval T.:

    @Michael Fortier

    Howdy Linval 

    Thanks for your in depth resonse. I have visited a great deal of the links you supplied and plan to look the others over soon. 

  • IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Jeff Smith:

    Hello all, Thanks for the intro @Stetson Hector 

    I am a local wholesaler, investor, and novice ice fisherman in the resent winters here in Lubbock (lol) I sent you a friend request @Michael Fortier so we can connect here. I also am the President of the @LubbockREIA (Twitter and Periscope handle) so please visit our site and connect with us. (Anyone who is interested) As far as your question goes... It all depends on what your goals are. What do you want to accomplish with real estate?

     I am trying to accomplish a couple of things. My first and most important goal is to create some passive income to help me with retirement. My secondary goal would be that I would love to be able to do this full time at some point. This will also help my first goal by giving me something to keep me from getting stagnant after retirement. 

    Ice Fisherman in Lubbock that's a good one. I am actually from Rhode island and loved ice fishing when I was there. 

  • Consultant · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    This whole post is wonderful.  Thank all of you for the advice.  I have a twist to add to all of it though . . . 

    What if all of you were starting from $0, literally? 

    No Home to tap for equity,  No IRAs to tap for downpayments, No Savings left etc, No Sustainable Income, No Vehicle either . . . I am a woman and I have $180,000 of student loan debt outstanding . . . THAT I have alot of! LOL

    I am very knowledgeable in Real Estate TOO! (smile)  

    I am in the midst of obtaining my RE License, however I need a financial foundation to relocate and live on prior to accepting commission-only positions.  My age and other things out of my control have prevented employment for over 8 years.  

    I do not see many women's faces on BP. Perhaps RE Investing is truly only for men, and after 20 years of attempting, it is time for me to stop attempting?

    ADVICE my BP Friends? What would you do to complete your first RE deal in my shoes, or would you just NOT BOTHER?

  • Lender · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2015 · 103 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Welcome to BP.

    First, there are lots of women on here....we just juggle way to many things...

    Seriously, this is a great place to meet people & to learn from others.  People here are great at giving their opinions.  

    My first suggestion is to establish a goal, do you want to have a turn-key to obtain your passive income?  If so, search for a Turn-key company (pm me if you are looking for houses).  Second, read all you can & ask questions...after all you are never to old to learn.

    Third & most importantly...take your time & read up as much as you can.

  • Consultant · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 37 votes
    10y

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/users/KarenB10

    Thanks for the encouragement Karen!

    I have a goal in RE.  I have had a goal in RE for over 20 years:

    1. Own at least two or more 15+ multifamily commercial cash flowing properties with licensed & qualified property managers in place.

    2.  Ensure all acquired properties have a cap rate min of 8% and an annual vacancy < 5%

    3. First acquired property will have an NOI of no less than $100k per annum. The rest must be higher.

    4. After paying off student loans (180k) invest most of the cash flow into diversified investments of my choice, and give back to me, God, family & friends, and charities of my choice.

    Can you tell I am reading and have probably been reading for too long?  I've probably read too much.   

    NOW . . .Back to my real question my friends, what if all of you were starting from $0, financially . . .. literally . . . and you had my above goals, ADVICE?

  • IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Monique Rene Coates

    Howdy Monique

    I see lots of women in here. You are far from alone. You are actually from my birthplace. Ah Pawtucket I sure do miss the seafood there. I couldn't be any more land locked than Lubbock. Hope you find what you are looking for. This site and the people here are amazing. Good Luck

  • New to Real Estate · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 69 votes
    10y

    @Michael Fortier 

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! House hacking with an FHA mortgage is a great way to start with purchasing up to a 4 unit property Multifamily and only 3.5% down.

    203K Loan is part of the FHA loan program. This is another great way to start.

    This is a great way to learn how to be a landlord, you can live there for free with cash flow

    Look for a small local Community bank or small local credit union.

    Much success to you!

  • Wholesaler · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    @Michael Fortier 

    Welcome to BiggerPockets! House hacking with an FHA mortgage is a great way to start with purchasing up to a 4 unit property Multifamily and only 3.5% down.

    203K Loan is part of the FHA loan program. This is another great way to start.

    This is a great way to learn how to be a landlord, you can live there for free with cash flow

    Look for a small local Community bank or small local credit union.

    Much success to you!

  • Wholesaler · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Have you done anything in Louisiana ?

    And if so What's your take on it.

  • Real Estate Broker · Windsor, CT · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 268 votes
    10y

    @Michael Fortier Welcome to Bp! I would have to say it is never to late to start investing. There are so many avenues of real estate to jump into. I would suggest narrowing down what your strategy will be and make it work! I think my recommendations would apply to @Monique Rene Coates question as well. Best of Luck!

  • Consultant · Providence, RI · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 37 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Fortier:

    @Monique Rene Coates

    Howdy Monique

    I see lots of women in here. You are far from alone. You are actually from my birthplace. Ah Pawtucket I sure do miss the seafood there. I couldn't be any more land locked than Lubbock. Hope you find what you are looking for. This site and the people here are amazing. Good Luck

     Wow Michael - how did you get out of RI & all the way over to TX?  Good for you!  I made the big mistake of leaving hometown EP, living in 3 states and 2 countries and then returning.  I do agree with you though . . . I love the ocean & the seafood here too, but we can find more ocean. . . . there's more out there! LOL   :0)

  • IT Director/Service Manager · Lubbock, TX · Member since 2015 · 87 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    @Greg Irving

    If I was younger and single i would certainly start with house hacking. I don't think my wife would go for me picking up and moving her into a duplex though.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.