Skip to content
Starting Out

User Stats

Votes
Terry Lao
  • Professional
  • Anaheim, CA
Votes |
What sacrifice have you made for down payment?

Terry Lao
  • Professional
  • Anaheim, CA
Posted Nov 21 2017, 13:01

I have heard a lot of posts about how to buy real estate with no money down, low down, first time buyer program, etc. All these paths are possible, but they are financial decisions that you are now just realizing when you want to buy real estate. If you have saved money from the start, meaning when you got your first job, then you will be in a better position.

Personally, it is either earn/save more money or cut expenses. Here are my cost cutting sacrifices.

1. My driving commute car is a 1995 acura integra that was a hand me down from my millionaire sister who drove that integra for 10 plus years. 

2. I go to goodwill to buy my work clothes. Don't knock it, I found Georgio Armani suite for $50. Retail is $2k. 

3. No starbucks coffee. I drink work coffee provided for FREE.

4. limit my lunches at work to about $2 a meal. Sometimes less as work has freebies from time to time.

5. Cut my own grass lawn, as gardener raised from $40 to $80 a month. I had gardener for 12+ years.

6. Buy gas at Costco as seem good quality and lowest price around. But doesn't that Costco card cost money? Yes, but I look like my brother, and group together to get 2% cash back card that pays for itself, and some back at end of year.

7. I buy Nikes running shoes, at the outlet mall. Can throw in washer, air dry, and look like new again.

8. I buy and sell things on craigslist. Once found kitchenaid built in refrigerator for $100, and re-sold for $900.

What have you sacrificed for saving down payment?

Terry

Loading replies...