What sacrifice have you made for down payment?

What sacrifice have you made for down payment?

Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes

I have heard a lot of posts about how to buy real estate with no money down, low down, first time buyer program, etc. All these paths are possible, but they are financial decisions that you are now just realizing when you want to buy real estate. If you have saved money from the start, meaning when you got your first job, then you will be in a better position.

Personally, it is either earn/save more money or cut expenses. Here are my cost cutting sacrifices.

1. My driving commute car is a 1995 acura integra that was a hand me down from my millionaire sister who drove that integra for 10 plus years. 

2. I go to goodwill to buy my work clothes. Don't knock it, I found Georgio Armani suite for $50. Retail is $2k. 

3. No starbucks coffee. I drink work coffee provided for FREE.

4. limit my lunches at work to about $2 a meal. Sometimes less as work has freebies from time to time.

5. Cut my own grass lawn, as gardener raised from $40 to $80 a month. I had gardener for 12+ years.

6. Buy gas at Costco as seem good quality and lowest price around. But doesn't that Costco card cost money? Yes, but I look like my brother, and group together to get 2% cash back card that pays for itself, and some back at end of year.

7. I buy Nikes running shoes, at the outlet mall. Can throw in washer, air dry, and look like new again.

8. I buy and sell things on craigslist. Once found kitchenaid built in refrigerator for $100, and re-sold for $900.

What have you sacrificed for saving down payment?

Terry

27Reply
480 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Macedon, NY · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 290 votes
8y

I sold a kidney on Craigslist for my first one.  

See this reply in the discussion

128 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    9.

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Thanks for your reply. The post is about sacrifices. Maybe you don't have to make any sacrifices. However, if you want something, then something has to give. Whether you sacrifice to save 3.5% down for FHA, or like me 20-25% is another story. It is a choice.

    I see lots of post asking how to start. People who look for an easy way out. Perhaps it is a loan from the parents. Unless you sacrifice something, you will not know what true value the item has. 

    Like Brandon says, 90% of people here will not take action for whatever reason. Those 10% who does either have the means or find a way to come up with the means. This post is to inspire those who make the sacrifice.

    Terry

  • Real Estate Investor · Macedon, NY · Member since 2016 · 251 posts · 290 votes
    8y

    I sold a kidney on Craigslist for my first one.  

  • Investor · Northern, VA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 904 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Terry Lao:

    I have heard a lot of posts about how to buy real estate with no money down, low down, first time buyer program, etc. All these paths are possible, but they are financial decisions that you are now just realizing when you want to buy real estate. If you have saved money from the start, meaning when you got your first job, then you will be in a better position.

    Personally, it is either earn/save more money or cut expenses. Here are my cost cutting sacrifices.

    1. My driving commute car is a 1995 acura integra that was a hand me down from my millionaire sister who drove that integra for 10 plus years. 

    2. I go to goodwill to buy my work clothes. Don't knock it, I found Georgio Armani suite for $50. Retail is $2k. 

    3. No starbucks coffee. I drink work coffee provided for FREE.

    4. limit my lunches at work to about $2 a meal. Sometimes less as work has freebies from time to time.

    5. Cut my own grass lawn, as gardener raised from $40 to $80 a month. I had gardener for 12+ years.

    6. Buy gas at Costco as seem good quality and lowest price around. But doesn't that Costco card cost money? Yes, but I look like my brother, and group together to get 2% cash back card that pays for itself, and some back at end of year.

    7. I buy Nikes running shoes, at the outlet mall. Can throw in washer, air dry, and look like new again.

    8. I buy and sell things on craigslist. Once found kitchenaid built in refrigerator for $100, and re-sold for $900.

    What have you sacrificed for saving down payment?

    Terry

    Instead of trying to scrimp and save, and deny yourself simple pleasures of life, perhaps try and make extra money. I mean what does Starbucks cost? $4-5 a day? How often does one buy Nike shoes? Once or twice a year? How much does that possibly cost? $70-100 for real good ones?  

    As much as I would discourage reckless spending and living beyond one's means, I would be beyond miserable if I were to do any of the above, and would push me into an abyss of depression. In fact, if I were to do any of the above, I would never get a single deal done.  That's just not me..

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    7. I buy (new) Nikes running shoes, at the outlet mall (Orange). Can throw in washer, air dry, and look like new again.

    I buy new Nikes, my emphasis was can put in washer and clean, to appear new again.

    Not sure what you meant buy "proverty" or "property", owner. I own multi-units and rent them out for positive cashflow.

    Terry

  • Walnut Creek, CA · Member since 2015 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    I sacrifice my time, the value of that can't be pinned down by a dollar figure. Instead of trying to save few dollars here few there I put in the time to make smart purchases. It's much easier to save say few hundred by doing the handwork than to save that by cutting out small things.

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    All the items on your list is normal life style for me and have been for 50 years. I scrounge useable stuff from people throwing away perfectly good items all the time. I do all my own maintenance and construction. It has been extremely rare that I ever hire a contractor to do work on my own home. I buy used and rejuvenate.

    I have never considered I have given up anything or scrimped by taking advantage of other peoples wasteful life style.

    Your #5 was a bit of a chuckle for me. If you recently cut out hiring gardeners I suspect there are many more "luxuries" you still enjoy.

  • Real Estate Broker · Naples, FL · Member since 2013 · 9k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    8y

    I still drive an old beater. Every time I think I have enough saved to buy one another deal comes along and I buy another income stream. 

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    Not sure where all the negative criticism is coming from. Everyone has made a sacrifice, whether for real estate or not, at some point in their life. What I do is by choice. I am not hurting anyone, and I am not hurting myself. These sacrifices are nothing compared to the guy giving up his kidney.

    I fix and make repairs around the house, and at times for my rental properties. I don't spend where I don't find value. Ferragamo shoes are value. Coach purses for my wife. 

    Again, these are my choices, not yours. 

    Terry

  • Chris MasonPro Member
    Moderator
    Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    8y

    I had someone liquidate their kid's college savings once.

    College is important, so I semi-jokingly calculated it out as a hard money loan from the 6 year old to her parents, 2 points and 12%, amortized over 4 years, and encouraged them to make this their new monthly payment to their daughter's college savings, after which they can resume their previous contribution amounts. :P

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    I cut costs when I can. I don't if I see value in it. It is a balance. 

    You were criticizing me as a guy " who has issues", " obsessive comes to mind" 

    The list is things i can do without and can sacrifice. Now, if i put a list together that things I cannot do without.

    1. cable television and fast internet speed, my bill comes to $170 per month.

    2. asian buffets

    3. las vegas trips, either for meeting tenants, fixing, find new properties, or gambling.

    My wife was not on board at first. Now, when she is seeing double and triple ROI's, she comes to her senses.

    Terry

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockwall, TX · Member since 2015 · 891 posts · 701 votes
    8y

    @Terry Lao

    If you really want to know why there is negativity surrounding your post, it's because you aren't really in touch with the reality of how poor most people are and how they perceive the world. Your idea of sacrifices (accepting free cars, buying Nike shoes, Coach bags, Premium Cable/Internet, Etc.) are pipe dreams for the vast majority of Americans and I understand why people would mock your 'sacrifices'. While I don't see anything wrong with your plan, you don't have any sort of economic disadvantage and from what I recall, you just purchased a couple fourplexes at market with conventional financing in Vegas. That really isn't much of an accomplishment for someone who has the means to do so, especially with all your technical posts about the market. You should be focused on buying a house a month, not reselling appliances on craigslist. 

    Now, back to the subject, the entire idea of sacrificing to get ahead is flawed. I've been poor before - homeless, hungry, and you simply can't 'sacrifice' your way to success when you're dirt poor. You have to work harder and smarter than everyone else in order to get ahead. Once you're ahead, you should (within reason) enjoy your accomplishments and use those desires to push yourself to do more. I bought a new car this year. I bought a new house as well. I also increased my net worth by over half a million. I don't apologize for any of these things and no other successful individuals should either. 

    -Christopher

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Not sure how my wife has anything to do with this post. However, since you asked, she does not sacrifice much other than her money put into the investment. She would not do the things on my list. If I did not urge her to make the investment, she would be happy with the .01% interest at the bank. 

    I do the property management, maintenance, tenant phone calls, rent collection, taxes, bills, etc.

    Terry

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    When I was in my early 20's I lived in a disgusting studio apartment in a pretty rough neighborhood. If anyone knows the Seattle area it was a place called "Hilltop" in Tacoma, WA. I paid $465 a month. The same apartment is renting for like $800 now because it's gentrified, but it was pretty bad when I was there. That's probably the biggest sacrifice I've made. I didn't care about anything but saving money. I was single so it's not like I had to think about safety of my family. I was obsessive about saving money. Now that I've gotten the ball rolling I admit I'm not as hardcore as I was. Now I focus on the "big three" Shelter -Transportation - Food 1. We live in a modest apartment. Not in the ghetto but not by the beach either. It's less than we could afford. 2. I drive a 98 Corolla. I had an 04 civic but I wrecked it 2 months ago. I bought this one for $1400 on Craigslist. It looks like a $1400 car but it works. Runs fine 3. We allow ourselves to eat out once a week. This includes not eating out for lunches at work. Everything else is made at home. Whole unprocessed foods are dirt cheap. Meat, Beans, Rice, Veggies. Keeps us in shape too. In my experience I've found that focusing on the big expenses and not caring so much about pinching pennies everywhere else is more effective. I don't care about a Starbucks here or there, we're going out for a few beers.
  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    EDIT: or going out for a few beers. Lol
  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Christopher Brainard

    Bigger Pockets has the full spectrum of poor to the rich. Some millionaires are self made, some got their money the old fashioned inhieritance, some started with nothing, some with parental help. I don't have to justify anything and certainly do not feel bad for not being poor. 

    The sacrifice one makes is of their own choosing. It could be same and could be huge. For you to say one sacrifice is not same as another is rather hypocritical. 

    This post was meant to be humorous, real, self-deprecating, and shared experiences. The down payment whether 3.5% down or 25% down is hard for a lot of people, including myself. This is suppose to inspire those who are saving their down payment. And for you to mock me or others, you really don't get it.

    Terry

  • Severna Park, MD · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    My sacrifice was time . If I needed more money , I worked more . Since I was working more , I had no time to spend money . So it accumulated rather quickly . Once I saw that , I kept it up .   

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Thanks for sharing your story. This is what this post should be about. People sharing stories about where they started, sacrificed, and where they are now. No point in knocking one's sacrifice with another. It is a matter of choice.

    Sounds like your 98 Corolla is like my 95 Integra, both worth about the same, but it works fine, reliable, and gets me where I want to go.

    Terry

  • Perris, CA · Member since 2017 · 20 posts · 15 votes
    8y

    Interesting post.

    I also believe that being frugal and careful with the management of your money is a very important skill. However, we also need to see that we are not spending too much time (which is a resource just like money) on activities that could be outsourced to someone else provided that we could do something more valuable with that time.

    Having said that, since you like buying and selling things from Craigslist, I have a teacher friend who spends his summers (no work during summer) buying things from garage sales and reselling them on craigslist. He is able to make $3,000-5,000 putting about 20 hours a week. He gets the most money from buying sport related things - such as surfboards, wetsuits, hockey sticks. 

    Hope that helps your side hustle!

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    I don't get comped. I don't play large enough to get anything. Now, I go to Las Vegas to take care of rental business. Last time was for HOA meeting. If I had time, I would go bet and watch football games.

    Terry

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Gerardo E. Saldana

    Question. Do you see anything wrong with my post? 

    Craigslist is like a hobby, and like a giant garage sale. Someone garbage is another persons gold. At least it is a way to recycle. My current thing to sell on CL is Ego mowers. They work like a charm and battery operated. This is what happens when you drop your gardener and do your own lawn.

    Terry

  • Sam L.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Joliet, IL · Member since 2014 · 163 posts · 85 votes
    8y

    I don't sacrifice much in my day to day life; sure I'd like a new truck and a bigger house but I'm too much of a cheap *** to throw 50k on a truck or house. I don't have cable but do have internet and hulu plus. I have a well paying job and I live well below my means so If I want to go out to eat everyday in a week (rarely happens but does happen) I can.  I never really go out but when I do I don't mind dropping 2 or 300 bucks. I'm currently saving 15% of my income for my next deal ontop of the 16% I put into my 401k/roth 401k.

    I agree with others, before one goes crazy on cutting  expenses(which isn't necessarily a bad thing) I'd try to increase income.

    Good luck and happy investing

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Here's one for you since you are asking questions about my wife. I would sacrifice (sell) a 4plex and use the proceeds to help pay for her back surgery if needed.

    Terry

  • Professional · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 686 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    What are you talking about? This website Bigger Pockets is for real estate, questions, answers, forums, legal, networking, ect. I don't think this website can help the poor. Poor are thinking about their next meal, clothing, shelter. It is the bottom rung of Maslow's Theory of Hierarchy Needs. Poor can aspire to buying real estate, but they first need to take care of a lot of things.

    I saw your profile, and looking at your posts, it really only started today. Before you pass judgement on me, why don't you look at my posts? See how many I posted, what they were for, and see my answers.

    Most are helping people, and responding to their questions.

    Terry

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    I saved to buy my first property 6 years ago and I am still as cheap today as I was then.  

    • My car is a 2010 and I love it cause I can fit a bathtub or 6 foot ladder in it.  
    • I work from home, so I don't go out for coffee or food (except for pizza Friday's)
    • I buy work dresses on Amazon for like $30

    But I am very aware of my time and outsource many things

    • favorite purchase this year was my robot vacuum 
    • I take 6-8 weeks off for vacation a year and don't cheap out on it
    • I get massages twice a month because it relaxes me and makes me happy

    It is all about balance.  I have no problem indulging within reason

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.