So what's holding you back?

So what's holding you back?

Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes

When I help new investors with buying their first property I often want to know what is holding them back from pulling the trigger.

So I'll ask here. What is holding you back?

453Reply
33,352 views

Most Popular Reply

Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 29 posts · 409 votes
7y

Having just recently bought my first property, I know for myself what was holding me back was the fear that I would overpay, especially in this type of a market. I would get analysis paralysis and basically talk myself out of every property I looked at.

See this reply in the discussion

3705 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Eric Lau:

    @Frank Patalano

    I have a closing on my first in April. I had to do all my data analysis, my factors more or less are

    Unemployment rate

    Crime

    School

    Entertainment

    Shopping

    Just to name a few...as you can see this will delay a lot of buying time. But I found a great Property manager that is assisting me with key areas for better rentals on top of my own research.

     Ya. A lot of number crunching. Just don't get stuck in analysis paralysis. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Michael Salama:

    @Frank Patalano Mind explaining what REIA is? Thanks for the response btw!

     Sure. Your local Real Estate Investors Association. Most are worth 10 times what you pay. I can't say enough about mine in Rhode Island. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Zlatkin:

    @Frank Patalano money and knowledge

     Money can come from knowledge. I have a friend who wholesales me deals he doesn't have a 9-5 job. 

    Knowledge can come from here, podcasts, books, real estate meetings, etc. You just have to commit to learning.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nick Murray:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Nick Murray:
    Originally posted by @Frank Patalano:
    Originally posted by @Nick Murray:

    Lack of a plan

     Ok. So set some goals. Then break it down into manageable steps. Commit yourself to going networking every month.

     That's the plan once I pay off debt and have some income for gas to drive.

     Woah. That is a little tight on the income. Be careful.

     Fortunately, I have parents that financially support me.

     I understand. Just don't let them hold you back.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Kim Arbogast:

    GREAT QUESTION!! 

    I am newly retired (from LE) and just started reading/watching/attending webinars on RE investing. I am very interested and have the motivation and business mindset to work in real estate. However, I can watch all the videos and read all the books BUT until I physically go through the process of a wholesale deal I probably wont pull the trigger. I would love to work with someone who has the knowledge and experience who could show me the process. I'm NOT asking to be paid, I'm looking for the experience which is worth more than money. 

     Unfortunately you may to to pay them. Mentor style. Find your local real estate meeting.  Offer to help people. Someone might take you under their wing.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Randy Davenport:

    @Frank Patalano       This is an Epic Thread! There is so much great info on here, and I have learned a ton! This is by far the most inspiring topic that I have come across on Bigger Pockets and I had to throw in my story!

    I am an aspiring investor. I plan on beginning with flipping single family homes, as this is closest to my comfort zone. My longer term plan is to get into buy and hold properties, but those will come in time.

    I was looking for a property hot and heavy last fall, but I decided to wait 6 months and concentrate on studying the market, strategies, and overall learning more. I have listened to over 200 BP Podcast, read countless BP forum threads, read 16 books on real estate, personal development, success, and leadership. I practiced calculating Maximum Offer Prices and ARV on local, active, MLS listed properties. I found a great realtor that allowed me to ask a ridiculous number of question. I presented my plan to a potential partner and got him excited.

    One would think I am ready. My 6-month education period is up this month and I am so scared! I am scared to lose money, scared that I don’t have enough money, scared that I will run out of money. I am scared that the property that I purchase will take too long to renovate or that I may overlook something and pay too much. Basically, I am scared of Failing.

    After writing all this down, I see that I have prepared myself properly. I realize that my Fear of the Unknown is natural. Reading all these great posts, has helped me put things into perspective and I need to stop making Excuses!

                          So to answer the question at hand, My Excuses Are Holding Me Back!

     This is an epic response. Dude you are 10x more knowledgeable than I was when I started. Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith. You also have a great real estate group up in Worcester. Black Diamond. The meet there every other month. We have our local meeting in Warwick, RI every month. You are welcome to come down. It really is an amazing group.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Finding a good deal is what's holding me back.  I have had approval from hard money lender in addition to other creative financing options that I have come up with, but the numbers doesn't work.  I have gotten past the fear of losing money because I know you have to lose some to gain some but I just cannot find a deal.  I am willing to do joint ventures if I find the right partner.  But education and networking play a big part in getting me here.  

     Sounds like to are close to something. We are having the same problem. So I am expanding markets and networking. Keep doing what you are doing. You have to buy one. Then you will really grow that experience and keep getting creative if you have to.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James Wahler:

    @Frank Patalano money unfortunately

     If money is a problem then partner up. Give up a deal for a referral fee. At least you will make some money on it. Don't let money hold you back. 

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Joe Pearson:

    @Frank Patalano, Similar to others, it's lack of money. So, I've been researching various creative options for real estate investing and trying to plant seeds in some of my peers that have cash savings. Hopefully I'll get into my first multifamily home within the next few years. Damn student loans are a killer

    -Joe

     Many of my real estate friends bought houses with thousands in student loan debt. If you find a real deal bring it to another investor. They will probably repay you somehow. Wholesale fee, referral fee. It might be the first dollars that you make in the real estate business.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Anderson, SC · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I’m currently a first year college student majoring in applied science for Mechatronics Engineering. I’ve always been an aspiring entrepreneur and have had experiences with starting up small businesses for lawn care and sub contracting for land management as well as flipping a couple houses with my father. I’ve always been interested in flipping houses and real estate investing in general but I only have an idea for the physical labor part of flipping homes. I would eventually like to get started in many areas of real estate and make it my full time job. I’m seeking advice on the steps I should be taking for Investing and buying my own “flipper” (etc.) and taking action NOW. I have read many books on general business and investing but I feel that everything I read doesn’t emphasize the basics I’m looking for for getting started. How do I find specific homes? How do I know what a good deal looks like? How do I learn my market? Who should I talk to? How do I get started? I am trying to take advantage of my young age and taking a step to build my future. Thank you in advance for your feedback it will be greatly appreciated!

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lisa Rodriguez:

    @Frank Patalano not sure where to start. Location is huge and im stuck not knowing the best market.

     Don't worry about the best market. Just try not to pick the worst market. Pick a growing city with a decent Cap rate. Skip the top 10 biggest markets. Research stable real estate markets. Keep learning.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Stephen Benson:

    I've read Scott trench book "set for life " I am saving up 25k and more to get ready to buy while saving I am reading as many real estate books I can consume on top of listening to biggerpockets podcast, I work at a real estate tech company learning everything I can about real estate " confidence would be the thing that holds one back" I feel that reading books helps confidence 

     Sounds great. The next step is to join a real estate group and meet people. Network.

  • Rental Property Investor · East Providence, RI · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Nathan Oakes:

    @Frank Patalano Absolutely nothing.... Abillionaireinthemaking.com

     There you go. So what is one thing that you would recommend newbies do to educate themselves?

  • Bernard ReiszPro Member
    CPA delivering RE Tax Tools: 1031 Exchange, SDIRA, 401(k), Cost Seg · New York City, NY · Member since 2017 · 581 posts · 563 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano Just came across this read you've got going - awesome!

    I, like you, work with lots of new investors - and good advice is invaluable, but is too often hard to find within the sea of poor "advice" that's available. Your no-nonsense tips for getting started are great. Kudos!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 236 posts · 156 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Capital.

    I've got the team. I've got the experience. I need capital to scale and grow my business further. So I'm networking, telling everyone I know and I don't know about my real estate, and just build relationships with people who are looking for opportunities to build and improve a lifestyle they can be proud of!

  • Rental Property Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2016 · 64 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano I have 3 rentals and i am only getting 200 a month profit on them. I have money and I am looking for my next deal. The biggest hold up for me is contractors and finding trust worth workers. I have done my house flips with me doing the labor and I'm now trying to change that

  • Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    The main thing holding me back is capital. I have found some great deals (one of them giving $1000 ROI in a good area), but I do not have the up front money. What I lack in capital, I make up for in knowledge and handy work. Currently just trying to find a partner who has the upfront money and work out a partnership deal.

  • Chris RochePro Member
    Rental Property Investor · North Weymouth, MA · Member since 2015 · 146 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    I have a HELOC of just under $100,000. I am just not sure what to do next. Currently I house hacked a two family that I just finished fixing up. The rent covers about 65% of my mortgage. My wife and I both have very stable and good W2 jobs, but I need out of the rat race. I have no idea what to do next. My options are find a flip around me, buy and hold around me or out of state. Problem is I live just south of Boston and everything is $$$$$. I would like to find a flip, I already have a partner who can GC it, just need to find the deal! But, then I think is a flip in this market climate appropriate? and should I just buy and hold for cash flow? Lol Analysis Paralysis!

  • Member since 2019 · 9 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    1 - Knowing who to trust 

    2 - Should I buy a house for myself first - I live in LA so it would delay buying rental properties for some time

    3 - Everyone telling me this is a bad idea

  • Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    For me personally It is coming up with the money for my first down payment. I haven't even started yet. My fiance and I are grinding, paying rent, wedding payment, bills. We both have good jobs, and are still just breaking even. NJ is tough. 

  • Philadelphia PA · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    Totally agree!  I  have been listening to a lot of BP podcasts and viewed a few webinars.  Now I have to read the guide for beginners.  Thanks for the great advice!

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I recently purchased my second home using hard money.  This was a nerve wrecking expereince with that balloon loan hanging over my head and having to be at work and trust the contractors to work on the home.  I want to do more now, because of the cash flow, but what's holding me back is my ability to find another great deal in metro Atlanta.  How to find the deals?

  • Rental Property Investor · Canton, OH · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 40 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Firstly, I would say lack of education and experience. It can be frustrating trying to find the balance between too much preparation and being too hasty.

    Secondly, financing...trying to get creative when looking for financing can be a little overwhelming.

    Lastly, working full time and being in strenuous grad program can make things a little more difficult (still not unachievable, if there’s a will there’s a way).

  • New York, NY · Member since 2019 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Frank Patalano

    Hey Frank, good question. I asked myself often these days.

    I am looking for my first deal at new jersey. One property (4 family house)I find seems good was a short sale. And I was trying to find more information about the house because they only show one family; the others are occupied by tenants and not allowed to see. Two days the broker didn’t find any new information. I was thinking of moving forward but then I got news the property received enough offers that no longer accept new one.

    And then I found a few more newly on market, but before I even go to see them. They were under contract.

    I was determined to start my first deal as soon as possible, but now I don’t know how it could be done? What I should do when I find something? Send offer immediately? Haha...Still figuring it out. But that’s one major reason slow me down. Thank you.

  • Wholesaler · Woodridge, IL · Member since 2015 · 13 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    I'm held back by the problem of there only being 24 hours in a day... 

    Has anyone else noticed this dilemma.

    Adam

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.