NOT going to college, what should I do?

NOT going to college, what should I do?

Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes

Greetings BP,

I’m 17 years old rookie investor. I got into real estate almost a year ago, I’ve read the classics (Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Think and Grow Rich; Richest man in Babylon) and many other more real estate specific books. I devoutly listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, while I work as a home construction repair guy. And now I’ve accumulated a little over $2,000 up to this point.

But, that is my problem. I’m sick at this point and not entirely sure of the next best step.

My opinion on college is that it would kind of be a waste of time and money. I think about all I could do with four years and $40,000+ dollars to invest. Also, I believe with the extra time I could spend more time getting the right kind of education ( real estate investing).

But, I still don’t know of the best opportunities outside of college. There are trades like plumbing/ electrical; and also beneficial jobs like a salesman or real estate agent. I’d want to move from Denver, to possibly a more cash flow friendly market like Indianapolis or Kansas City. I’m curious to hear what would be the suggested path, and what has working for you guys. I’m grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

15Reply
147 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Springfield VA · Member since 2018 · 479 posts · 400 votes
7y

@Josiah Patrick Zebarth I'm going to give you a different perspective.

I understand you might be tired of school but you are also 18. If my only option would have been to go to college in the states I would have not gone either. However, I had the chance to study in Europe. I paid $1800 for my whole education as elementary school teacher. I then transfered my degree to the us system for $200 and every school accepted without any problem.

My suggestion, consider trying college in Europe for at least one year.

Perks

- Travel

- Learn a language

- Meet a different bunch of people

- Party it hard

If after a year it doesn't work, follow another path.

In countries like Malta, Spain, Portugal among others you can live in cool cities for $300 a month. They have English programs.

I know international students pay a bit more but not that much, just make sure is an official degree and you'll be fine.

If it works, you will have a back up degree and stories to tell for the rest of your life.

I don't know man, making money and adulting fast is good but I wouldn't change those years of my life for nothing.

What do you have to lose?

See this reply in the discussion

103 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Paradise Valley, AZ · Member since 2018 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josiah Patrick Zebarth:

    Greetings BP,

    I’m 17 years old rookie investor. I got into real estate almost a year ago, I’ve read the classics (Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Think and Grow Rich; Richest man in Babylon) and many other more real estate specific books. I devoutly listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, while I work as a home construction repair guy. And now I’ve accumulated a little over $2,000 up to this point.

    But, that is my problem. I’m sick at this point and not entirely sure of the next best step.

    My opinion on college is that it would kind of be a waste of time and money. I think about all I could do with four years and $40,000+ dollars to invest. Also, I believe with the extra time I could spend more time getting the right kind of education ( real estate investing).

    But, I still don’t know of the best opportunities outside of college. There are trades like plumbing/ electrical; and also beneficial jobs like a salesman or real estate agent. I’d want to move from Denver, to possibly a more cash flow friendly market like Indianapolis or Kansas City. I’m curious to hear what would be the suggested path, and what has working for you guys. I’m grateful for any thoughts, thanks.

    Forget about it. (You don't need college)

    34 CEOs that never finished college

    https://thestacker.com/stories...

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2013 · 917 posts · 607 votes
    7y

    www.DiscoverPraxis.com  A better alternative.

  • Rental Property Investor · PA · Member since 2019 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    My opinion is you do not need to go to college unless you are going for something specialized. Like to be a doctor, nurse, lawyer, or teacher. 

    That being said you should check into getting a trade. You work during the day and will usually do school for that trade 2 nights a week for 3 hours a night. And by you learning a trade will also give you the education to allow you to repair your properties. 

    I can say from experience that a trade is a good way to go. It has done me well. It has also given me knowledge of the construction industry. And I will usually make money money than people that have graduated college. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2018 · 32 posts · 19 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Thanks for the response. The KC market is pretty solid. It's a stable growth midwestern city. Home prices here are much cheaper compared to the coasts and other areas that are experiencing high growth, and cash flow should be pretty good also. You might also want a second opinion from someone who's invested in Kansas City to give you more information on numbers and specifics though, since I can just tell you about KC's market from personally living here and less from an investment standpoint. How's the market in Denver?

  • Rental Property Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2019 · 120 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    Why not both? If you are interested in a career path where college is part of the journey, then pursue it. However, you should know from those books mentioned that multiple streams of income will protect you. So, create a side hustle while at college! 

    I'm currently an electrical engineering student with a side hustle of wholesaling. With wholesaling, you have little liability with your money, gain exposure in finding good deals, and creates a deal generation machine that you can later use for other RE investing strategies (x3 WIN). 

  • Financial Advisor · CA · Member since 2012 · 128 posts · 76 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lee Bell:

    Do what you love. Or at least something you like. Something interesting.

    You don't want to be the guy that has to drag his tired azz to work every day and hates it.

     I disagree about the "do something you love."  I say "do something that will get you a down payment.  It doesn't matter that much what it is.  Just get it done."  

  • Reston, VA · Member since 2017 · 67 posts · 68 votes
    7y

    I say go for it, worst case scenario is you change your mind and go to school.  At least this way you won't have on foot in the door and one foot out.  Just my opinion, but a lot of life is trying things out and learning whether or not it works.  Either it works out or you learn it's not for you and choose something else that does work for you.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Portland, OR · Member since 2015 · 48 posts · 38 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth if you are interested in real estate get your real estate license and work as an assistant to top producer. Work two years with a steady paycheck and buy a house as a realtor, get paid 2.5% to buy your house, get seller to pay for closing costs and rent out the other rooms to your friends and have fun!

    Also start building your credit now!

    Being a realtor teaches you systems, marketing, sales, networking, grit, failure, success, time management, negotiations, valuing real estate and how to take rejection. If you hate being a realtor you can quite and have a real education in business. You are young and can shift to another profession at anytime.

    Good luck friend! You are on the right path and be patient with your self.

  • Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2013 · 226 posts · 115 votes
    7y

    Went to school for engineering, first job out of school I realized how college doesn’t prepare you for anything in the real world. It really is just a piece of paper. However, my career path demands it and it has been the best investment I have ever made to date. I used my degree, and my engineering license(degree needed), to open up my own design firm. Without my degree I would of ended in the same spot now just doing something else. Entrepreneurs figure it out one way or the other! You are 17!!!!!Go have some fun kid! 

  • Real Estate Agent · WHITTIER, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    You sound exactly how I was about a year and half ago, and the time goes by so fast. I got on Grant Cardone. He teaches you how to sell yourself, sell your ideas and ultimately makes you understand what it takes to 10X your life. The great difference between us is our age, so learning these fundamentals at your age, you’ll definitely have the leading edge over the majority of people, because most people frown about selling or think its to hard, Grant breaks it all down for you in cardone university. $100 bucks a month, cancel any time. There is a lot of times you can get it cheaper than that. Wish you the best of luck

  • Rental Property Investor · Dallas, TX · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Marcos Paulo Cerra Good input. I'm tired of being used as a resource to build someone else's legacy and not being compensated fairly. I am currently attending college as a stepping stone becoming a radiologist. Becoming a radiologist is just another stepping stone into real estate investing. Even though real estate investing is the end goal, in order to invest you require capital (I'll likely leverage my own credit in the future also). I can NOT see myself working for less than $25/hr anymore! I've been working since 16 years old and the most I've made it about $18/hr. Those jobs have left me unsatisfied and miserable to say the least (I've worked in restaurants and mostly customer service positions).

    My perspective is that if you so decide to go to college, go with a plan. I personally think real estate is something you don't need school for. There are many books and other informative sources out there. Maybe if you require a license or certificate, school would be a good route.

    Someone once told me, there is no handbook to this thing called Life. Everyone writes their own novel.

  • Rental Property Investor · DFW · Member since 2017 · 143 posts · 120 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth, having a degree (almost any degree) will keep your options open.  How about this recipe:

    Find a community college and get a degree in construction mgmt, finance, architecture, or other field related to RE.  In parallel, get your RE Agent license and Loan Originator license.  Read more books.  This will give you a wide exposure to a variety of activities, builds your network, and limits your debt.

    No matter which way you go, find something you're passionate about and stick with it.  Best of luck!

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    Interesting question. First, we all have to think twice about the statement that “colleges and universities are a waste of time”.

    Can this blanket statement be really true? I think not, as if this were the case, then we all wouldn’t have this great standard of living due to the knowledge of many doctors, engineers, dentists, research professors and all the amazing unnamed professionals around the world, many of whom graduated from colleges.

    With that said, some courses or degrees may be perceived as obsolete (not to name any). In addition, you also go to university for a ton of other reasons.

    🤔 Now, if you think not going to college means you would be successful (or not) in Real Estate Investing 🏡, then think again. Success in any endeavor has no correlation with the level of education, but all to do with oneself. It all starts with you!

    The college is a waste of time is just, in my opinion, one of those sounds-nice statement that isn’t really true.

    Remember this Josiah, whenever we learn something we should never consider that time as a waste. Even if you learn something about quantum physics that may be directly applied to real estate investing.

    Don’t be stuck on the idea of going to college or not because you can buy a 4plex and rent it to your college buddies. Perhaps, you can do both!

    My $0.02 🤗 Goodluck

  • Investor · NJ · Member since 2018 · 869 posts · 921 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth. if you're not planning on going to college ditch the construction/repair job. Get into something more skilled. HVAC/R, Plumbing, electric, lineman, welder, diesel mechanic, heavy equipment operator. All those jobs are skilled and make a lot more than a construction worker. Just like any other job the more your niche is specialized the more the salary goes up.

  • Rental Property Investor · Edison, NJ · Member since 2016 · 753 posts · 565 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth. You need to figure out what is the best way to earn a lot of money so that your income will qualify you for a mortgage. If you are interested in becoming a licensed electrician Or plumber or another trade that could be a faster way to get into a career than college.

    Do not go into debt buying a nice car because it will raise your debt to income ratio and slow you down with saving more money for real estate investing. Buy a used car with cash and live as cheap as you can. Knowing a trade would also be useful with fixing up houses that you buy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @Caleb L.

    Hey, I really like that. There is a good Tony Robbins quote that kinda sums this up, but I’m probably gonna butcher it

    “ Once you stop learning you die.”

    One thing that I struggle with is how to incorporate these kinds of learning, ie literature, into actual doing. There are a lot of bad books out there and it’s hard to sort through to the truth. Thanks for the response.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @Trevor Emmett

    Thanks man, I appreciate the advice. Good luck to you!

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth If you do not want to go go college I would start building your knowledge/network/sphere of influence in a real estate sales capacity.

    Also, consider becoming a licensed home inspector. Might be a good fit with your construction knowledge background. Not sure about your state, but here in CT there is a need for younger inspectors.

  • Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2019 · 76 posts · 70 votes
    7y

    @Paul Martinez

    Hey, I’ve heard a lot about GC and actually think he’s a pretty cool dude. I like what he has to say about Cashflow. I’m kinda confused though about Cardone U, it seems to me you thought it was worth it. Did you do it in a month? Couple months? Is it for salesman only?

    Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

  • Property Manager · PA · Member since 2018 · 67 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @Jonathan Boyce

    Entirely feel the same way! Love that saying- "There is no handbook to this thing called Life. Everyone writes their own novel."

  • Rental Property Investor · Rockford, IL · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Josiah Patrick Zebarth:

    Greetings BP,

    I’m 17 years old rookie investor. I got into real estate almost a year ago, I’ve read the classics (Rich Dad, Poor Dad; Think and Grow Rich; Richest man in Babylon) and many other more real estate specific books. I devoutly listen to the BiggerPockets Podcast, while I work as a home construction repair guy. And now I’ve accumulated a little over $2,000 up to this point.

    But, that is my problem. I’m sick at this point and not entirely sure of the next best step.

    My opinion on college is that it would kind of be a waste of time and money. I think about all I could do with four years and $40,000+ dollars to invest. Also, I believe with the extra time I could spend more time getting the right kind of education ( real estate investing).

    But, I still don’t know of the best opportunities outside of college. There are trades like plumbing/ electrical; and also beneficial jobs like a salesman or real estate agent. I’d want to move from Denver, to possibly a more cash flow friendly market like Indianapolis or Kansas City. I’m curious to hear what would be the suggested path, and what has working for you guys. I’m grateful for any thoughts, thanks. 

    Probably the best thing to do at this point is to get educated.

    Uneducated investors think they have to use their own money and credit. Educated investors have learned how to do deals with none of their own money or credit. That results in higher ROI for everyone. A team of people in the group I'm part of just partnered up and closed on a 51 unit apartment complex with none of their own money or credit.

    Your current experience will be helpful going forward. You can do your own rehab / repair, learn how to hire and manage contractors ... lot of possibilities.

    If you're already listening to BP podcasts, listen to some of Brandon Turner's early ones where he regales us with tales of how he lost over $100K on his early deals through his own lack of education. He could have paid for education five times and still made money by avoiding expensive mistakes.

    I agree with your assessment of the college thing. College produces employees - that's what it's intended for. Entrepreneurship is tougher at the start, yet produces the ability to create income even when the economy at large falters.

    My $0.02 ...

  • Specialist · Easton, PA · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    As a self employed remodeling contractor for the last 16 years, I can tell you to give plumbing or electrical a shot. Excellent hourly wages, and jobs are out there for sure.

    I was an aspiring chef turned contractor after I fixed up my first house at 24 and the realtor said WOW when I was ready to sell.

    $0 student debt. Zero schooling after HS. I’ve done ok for myself. College is not for everyone, and the debt sucks. My wife is 38 and she still owes $20k. Good luck and work hard at whatever you do!

  • Specialist · Knoxville, TN · Member since 2012 · 66 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    I'm sitting in the airport on my way home from Michael Blank's Dealmaker Live Event. There were several young guys there but more importantly there were 500 investors who are doing deals (big deals).

    For $1000 plus room, food, and travel you could have been among some of the best multifamily investors in the country. After a weekend with that many investors you could probably have found a few that would have mentored you.

    But if you wanted to show your seriousness, and get a more experienced guy, you could have had an envelope with 10k in it asking to follow him for a year. That would probably be the best 10k you ever spent.

  • Springfield, MO · Member since 2019 · 21 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth I’m around your age and I’m kinda in the same boat minus the money you have saved. But I’m currently looking into wholesaling and mobiles homes building my credit and saving as much a possible to save for a down payment for some multifamily units. Let’s connect I’m in the Missouri market!

  • Real Estate Agent · WHITTIER, CA · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    @Josiah Patrick Zebarth

    I practice/train everyday on cardone university. Personally I wouldn’t get rid of it, its priceless what you’ll get out of it. He doesn’t say it’s just for sales people, its for individuals that want to know how to sell, persuade, negotiate and convince others in their beliefs, ideas, dreams, concepts & desires. Everyone needs to know how to sell themselves and that’s what GC does for you. Once you know how to sell yourself paired with whatever profession you decide to get into, you’ll be a deadly treat with so many tools in your belt that you won’t have competition but you’ll dominate your space.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.