What books have changed your life

What books have changed your life

Wholesaler · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 81 votes

I'm a faithful listener of the BP real estate podcast. Can't get enough of it. Other than the super valuable advice and insights I gain from the show, I also learn about a ton of great books from the guests.  What books are you reading? What are your favorites?  I'm looking for more knowledge!

6Reply
193 views

Most Popular Reply

East Coast · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 44 votes
7y

@Franky Aikens

Bible....seriously

See this reply in the discussion

59 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Wilton, CT · Member since 2015 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    Theory of Chaotic & turbulence flows.

    But I don't think that is what you meant.

    The book that changed my life is one I actually never read. Rich dad poor dad.

    True story.

  • Rental Property Investor · Salt Lake City, UT · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 24 votes
    7y

    I would say Rich Dad Poor Dad changed my mentality about investing the most the ones blow have helped in different ways, from thinking larger than life to working with a Virtual Assistant team over seas.

    the ONE thing - Garry Keller

    the 10X rule - Grant Cardone

    Unlimited Power - Tony Robbins

    4 hour Work Week - Tim Ferris

    Traction - Gino Wickman

    Profit first - Mike Michalowicz

  • Daniel HymanBusiness Member
    CPA · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    I agree with @Alex Hively about Traction and The One Thing. 

    Anything from Tim Ferriss is golden. 

    The Miracle Morning is also very empowering.

    My Online Accountant572 Reviews
  • East Coast · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    Bible....seriously

  • Willebroek, Flanders · Member since 2016 · 1 post · 7 votes
    7y

    @Alex Hively agree with the list. Would also add the richest man in Babylon. The book is simple but gold and a quick read

  • Rental Property Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2017 · 203 posts · 188 votes
    7y

    @Account Closed, truth!  Just on the real estate/money side there are more than 2,300 verses dedicated to that.  Roughly 15% of Jesus' preaching and 11 out of 39 parables are dedicated to it.  I'd totally recommend a Bible study on money.

    I struggle to say any other book really changed my life.  I've picked up nuggets here and there but nothing was really earth shattering for me.  I also read a management/leadership book a month on average so they all run together / repeat a lot of the same stuff.  I think relationships and seeing how people put stuff into action has helped me more than anything.  That's where I lean towards having a core group or a mentor type relationship.  I get more out of someone being a sounding board for ideas or someone asking me thought provoking questions than reading.  Reading helps but knowledge without action is where the rub is.  I'm still a strong advocate for reading.

    And lastly I'm just going to say it even though several people have thought I was nuts...  I personally did not get anything out of Rich Dad Poor Dad.  I'd go so far as to say I was disappointed in it.  I also read it later in life after I was already in great financial shape so that probably has a lot to do with it.  I guess by that time there was nothing new in it that I hadn't known, read elsewhere or already had in play.  If I had read it in my late teens, early 20s it might have been better.  In my research of his brand I heard some interesting stuff about the seminars affiliated that gave me pause.  Now I skip over anything that is associated with him.  But in full disclosure I have at least 7-8 books that are tied to his brand that I've read.  And at this point it also makes me laugh at the people that get all up in arms that I don't agree with them in thinking it's earth shattering.

    YMMV... Flame on...lol

  • Michael KruppPro Member
    Lender · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2016 · 67 posts · 114 votes
    7y

    All good books above, here are some more: 

    The 15 secrets successful people know about time management - Kevin Kruse

    Fierce Conversations - Susan Scott

    Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill

    UnF*k Yourself - How to get out of your Head and into your Life - Gary John Bishop

    The things you can only see when you slow down - Haemin Sumin

  • East Coast · Member since 2016 · 51 posts · 44 votes
    7y

    @Heath M.

    Thanks for the reply and support Heath. Some of the regular go to books (like Kiyosaki) have good info but can be dangerous when misapplied or prematurely executed. I feel books and seminars can be helpful but are no substitute for working with an experienced investor who knows what to look for.

  • John WallacePro Member
    Member since 2018 · 24 posts · 29 votes
    7y

    @Jan Govaerts My dad made us read this before we graduated from high school. It has been an invaluable and invisible guide throughout my life. Many times over 35 years I've thought, "You don't buy diamonds from a brick mason." I need to figure out how to require my kids to read it too.

  • Rental Property Investor · North Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    My favorite books:

    Multifamily Millions by Dave Lindahl

    The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy

    The Complete Guide to Buying and Selling Apartment Buildings by Steve Berges

    Commercial Real Estate Investing by Dolf De Roos

    Trump: The Best Real Estate Advice I Ever Received by Donald Trump

    Tax Free Wealth by Tom Wheelwright

    Commercial Real Estate 101: How Small Investors Can Get Started and Make It Big by David Lindahl

    Raising Private Capital: Building Your Real Estate Empire Using Other People’s Money by Matt Faircloth

    The Definitive Guide to Apartment Marketing by Josh Grillo

    Investing in Apartment Building by Matthew Martinez

    Crushing It in Apartments and Commercial Real Estate by Brian H Murray

    The 7 Secrets to Successful Apartment Leasing by Eric Cumley

    2 Years to a Million in Real Estate by Matthew Martinez

    Burn Zones: Playing Life’s Bad Hands by Jorge Newbery

    Commercial Mortgages 101: Everything You Need to Know to Create a Winning Loan Request by Michael Reinhard

    It’s a Whole New Business!: The how-to book of syndicated investment real estate by Gene Trowbridge

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    The slight edge - Jeff Olson (self discipline, don’t be apathetic about small things)

    The Richest Man in Babylon - George Samuel Clason

    (Fictional story that teaches the basic formula of wealth creation)

    The Good Earth - Pearl S. Buck (Fictional story about a Chinese peasant that becomes wealthy buying land) Had to read this one in high school. One of the few books assigned that wasn’t a chore to get through, and that I actually remember.

  • Real Estate Broker · Bay Area · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    Any Zig Ziglar books and Questions base selling. If you learn the art of selling you can make a ton of money. 

  • Wholesaler · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 81 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Alex Hively:

    I would say Rich Dad Poor Dad changed my mentality about investing the most the ones blow have helped in different ways, from thinking larger than life to working with a Virtual Assistant team over seas.

    the ONE thing - Garry Keller

    the 10X rule - Grant Cardone

    Unlimited Power - Tony Robbins

    4 hour Work Week - Tim Ferris

    Traction - Gino Wickman

    Profit first - Mike Michalowicz

    @Alex Hively You've got some really good recommendations on here. I've read 3 out of the six you've listed (4 hour Work Week, 10X & The One Thing). Loved them all. Ive were to highlight one of the three, it would be The One Thing because it's applicable to everyday life and not just the world of business. That book seriously helped my decision making process and defragmented my world.

    I'm definitely going to pick up the other three books you listed. Thanks a ton!

  • Wholesaler · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    @Charles Carillo Wow! Thanks for sharing this extensive list!  Which of them all do you feel gave you the best insights into becoming successful in your business? Very curious to know!

  • Specialist · Purcellville, VA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 841 votes
    7y

    Definitely Rich Dad Poor Dad, as it opened a door for me.

    Also Tax Free Wealth by Tom Wheelright (another Rich Dad Poor Dad guy). He teaches you extremely important ideas about how to handle taxes. I’ve saved many many thousands of dollars by following his advice over the past several years.

  • Rental Property Investor · Buffalo, NY · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    Money Master The Game by Tony Robbins

    The Private Money Guide by Chris Naugle

    The Untethered soul by Michael Alan Singer (self improvement)

    Becoming Your Own Banker by R. Nelson Nash

  • John FortesPro Member
    Multi-Family Syndicator · Abington, MA · Member since 2017 · 603 posts · 347 votes
    7y

    The Third Door by Alex Banayan!

  • Rental Property Investor · Westerly, RI · Member since 2016 · 80 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens in this order.......

    4 hr. Work Week

    Rich Dad Poor Dad

    All of the BiggerPockets books

    BRRRR- David Greene

    Long Distance Real Estate Investing- David Greene

    Let me explain.....The 4hr. Work Week shifted my mindset to get my mind away from everybody has to have a job and work 9-5

    Rich Dad Poor Dad opened up my brain doors to understand what real estate investing actually was and that Real Estate is an investment you can control for the most part as long as you do your homework.

    The Bigger Pockets books along with the podcasts and forums laid the foundation for all of my general knowledge in real estate.

    BRRRR- by David Greene , I started reading this one because this was the investing strategy I decided would work our best for me over time. This strategy appealed to me the most and I have never read a book with more actionable items written inside. You can almost use this book as a direct checklist to start BRRRR'ing properties.

    After I knew I wanted to BRRRR I realized that my local market in Rhode Island was not the best market to target BRRRR deals in so I started looking in the Midwest and in the South....This book again is full of actionable items and is another step by step checklist into acquiring long distance properties.

    The next foundational books I will be reading are Tax strategy books, and if anyone can recommend any books to fill in any gaps they see in my book pipeline please let me know! I love recommendations.

  • Wholesaler · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 124 posts · 81 votes
    7y

    OMG! Thank you so much to everyone!

    What great recommendations. Keep them coming!

    Below is a list of some of my favorite books. Most of them touch on behavioral insights that would help ensure success in life and business (which would include real estate).  I'm fascinated with identifying the building blocks of success, which I believe, starts with perspective, skill sets, habits and spiritual awareness.  I truly believe the road to achieving external success begins with having internal success within yourself.

    Here's the list! Hope you all pick up some of these books.

    Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World by Cal Newport

    So Good They Can't Ignore You: Why Skills Trump Passion in the Quest for Work you Love by Cal Newport

    Wealth Can't Wait by David Osborn and Paul Morris

    Meditations by Marcus Aurelius

    Principles by Ray Dalio

    Getting To Yes by Roger Fisher and William Ury

    This is Marketing by Seth Godin

    The Happiness Advantage by Shawn Achor

  • Cleveland, OH · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 4 votes
    7y

    How to win friends and influence people - Dale Carnegie

    The Like Switch - Jack Schafer

    One Minute Networker - Bryan Thayer

    Dichotomy of Leadership - Jocko Willink

    Can’t Hurt Me - David Goggins

    Extreme Ownership - Jocko Willink

  • Real Estate Agent · Butler, PA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

    Rich Dad Poor Dad

    A Strenuous Life by Teddy Roosevelt

  • Investor · Winnipeg, MB · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    The 360 Degree Leader and Thinking For A Change by John C. Maxwell.

  • Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    Holy Bible

    Rich dad poor dad

    Richest man in Babylon

    Win friends and influence people

    Think and grow rich

  • Real Estate Agent · Surf City, NC · Member since 2017 · 648 posts · 597 votes
    7y

    The Bible. In my opinion, there is no better source of wisdom and truth. Tons of lessons on leadership and perseverance. 

  • Investor · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    @Franky Aikens

    Not sure if this book has already been mentioned, lots of comments.

    “Mastery- The keys to success and long term fulfillment” by George Leonard was a game changer for me. We all know success doesn’t come overnight, and this book helped me in many ways in that regard. This ales helped me redefine what I thought was success.

    The idea is that mastering anything from your relationships, to your career, or hobbies, ‘mastery’ is always a continuous path, and never a destination. You will spend most of your time in a plateau while attempting to master anything, and the idea is to enjoy that plateau for what it is. Relax and clear your head while doing the dishes. Turn the radio off and enjoy the noise of your car and the road while driving.

    Just my .02 but the principles I’ve learned from this book have carried more weight than most other things I’ve enjoyed reading. Check it out of that sound interesting!

    Happy reading!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.