New Investor looking at starting my portfolio!

New Investor looking at starting my portfolio!

Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 6 votes

Hey Everyone! I am very new to investing and Real Estate as a whole. I am 21 years old and I am going to school for entrepreneurship so that will be a big plus on how to manage myself. I am in Michigan right now and after I plan to move to Columbus, Ohio to get my investing career underway. I have a lot of high priorities for myself and I do want to receive my Real Estate License as well. 

2Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
5y

House hacking in Columbus would be a good option if you are planning on moving here. It is also one best and easiest ways to get started in REI. @Spencer Carlo

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2019 · 763 posts · 500 votes
    5y

    Why Columbus? Is there a W-2 job there to support... or is it because so many people talk about it having investment potential?

    I ask because as a new investor if you do not have income history you are probably not getting pre approved for financing. The cost to pick up and move, just to be in an area many investors are already working (tons of competition) means you are already using some of the money you have in a way that does not get you into an investment. Starting out I would focus your efforts on getting a good job to support your investing habit, and build a team that can do the work for you from a distance.

  • Investor · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    @Karl McGarvey I should’ve mentioned that I do have a W-2 job. As well as all the requirements listed under the financial column. Columbus is a great city and is growing at a fast rate. I in general want to move there for personal reasons. Thanks

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    House hacking in Columbus would be a good option if you are planning on moving here. It is also one best and easiest ways to get started in REI. @Spencer Carlo

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Spencer Carlo:

    Hey Everyone! I am very new to investing and Real Estate as a whole. I am 21 years old and I am going to school for entrepreneurship so that will be a big plus on how to manage myself. I am in Michigan right now and after I plan to move to Columbus, Ohio to get my investing career underway. I have a lot of high priorities for myself and I do want to receive my Real Estate License as well. 

     Columbus, Ohio is a great market to get your real estate license in

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Spencer Carlo, sounds like a great start, wishing you much success!

  • Brandon SturgillBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Hi @Spencer Carlo welcome. Feel free to hit me up to learn more about the city...Columbus is a pretty incredible place. If the weather was better we'd be in real trouble with the population boom, lol. I can't believe how much things have changed since 2015...

    Realize Multifamily Group11 Review
    View Page
  • Drew SygitBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Royal Oak, MI · Member since 2012 · 12k+ posts · 9k+ votes
    5y

    Where in Michigan?

    We're in the Metro Detroit area, so you may want to follow our blog here on BP, but at least read the following posts:


    Follow our "Deep Dive" series we're doing about Metro Detroit cities and City of Detroit Neighborhoods: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    How to “Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”: https://www.biggerpockets.com/member-blogs/3094/91877-how-to-screen-a-pmc-better-than-a-tenant-part-1-services-and-processes

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6 posts · 9 votes
    5y

    Columbus is a great city to find a house hack and begin your real estate journey. Lots of exciting things happening here currently. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.