Who else is investing in south side of Chicago?

Who else is investing in south side of Chicago?

Roseann KoefoedPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Frankfort, IL · Member since 2020 · 26 posts · 23 votes

I’m selling a 3-flat on north side of Chicago (that was making about $1300/month) and looking to 1031 into 2-3 properties that will generate cash flow of at least $3k+ month. So cash flow is my main focus. And I’ve got a demanding day job and three kids, so can’t manage a large renovation myself right now.

I want to stay in Chicagoland. And the best cash flow opportunities seem to be in the south side of Chicago. I’m looking at a 7-unit in the Jackson Park / South Shore neighborhood that is turn-key. Everything is new and it’s stabilized with 4-section 8 tenants, 3-market tenants. Group that did all the work would stay on and manage for 5%. This deal would make about $2k/month and use 60% of my exchange proceeds.

This would be our first experience with the section 8 process. But with management in place, it’s less scary. And I’m intrigued that the group that did the work to renovate would stay on and manage. Tells me they stand behind what they’re doing.

I’m anxious to hear other people’s thoughts, opinions and lessons learned on investing in the south side of chicago. Also, curious to know your experience with real estate taxes on south side. Did they go up a ton after you purchased?

Thank you!

3Reply
42 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
4y

@Roseann Koefoed South Shore is a fascinating neighborhood for sure. You will need to be somewhat hands on if you want to be able to realize your gains in an area like South Shore, and you will definitely need to manage the manager. I believe that the cash flow can be amazing in an area like South Shore due to the lower taxes and it is a strong rental market. With that being said, expect to drive the property at least once or twice a month. You will still want to manage any unit turns and ongoing CapEx projects.

See this reply in the discussion

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 175 posts · 86 votes
    4y

    Itll be Easier to get to from the south burbs for sure

  • Sean GrahamBusiness Member
    Investor , CPA · Detroit, MI · Member since 2016 · 583 posts · 248 votes
    4y

    I think you are on the right track. I really like south shore and see a lot of good things happening. I haven’t experienced the tax hike yet so I’m not sure on that one. 

    Maven Cost Segregation Tax Advisors554 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · 3412 S. Harlem Avenue Riverside, IL 60546 · Member since 2015 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    4y

    @Roseann Koefoed South Shore is a fascinating neighborhood for sure. You will need to be somewhat hands on if you want to be able to realize your gains in an area like South Shore, and you will definitely need to manage the manager. I believe that the cash flow can be amazing in an area like South Shore due to the lower taxes and it is a strong rental market. With that being said, expect to drive the property at least once or twice a month. You will still want to manage any unit turns and ongoing CapEx projects.

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    @Roseann Koefoed - You should post it in the bigger pockets marketplace if you are looking to sell your 3 flat off market. Is the reason you just don't tap into your equity either with a refi or HELOC and hold the property?

    South shore is a solid area, but still a little bit block by block.  Out of curiosity who is the PM you are planning to use?  As long as your PM is good you should be fine.  I don't knock section 8 because I haven't tried it, but if it's already stabilized with good tenants (make sure current tenants are good) then seems like a great deal.  Do it!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2021 · 493 posts · 162 votes
    4y

    @Roseann Koefoed

    Congratulations on the exchange. As you know one of the hardest parts of the process is finding a reliable property manager and sounds like you have found just that. 

    Best of luck going forward!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.