Skip to content
Mortgage Brokers & Lenders

User Stats

Votes
Jared H.
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Votes |
Different score models used for joint mortgage application?

Jared H.
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Posted May 20 2023, 12:54

I'm applying for a second mortgage with my wife as a primary residence with a direct lender. I remember on our first mortgage (using a broker), our credit score report was given back showing the same credit score models being used for each of us and reflected pretty accurately. However, I just received the reports back for this application with a direct lender and it seems that the models used are different for each of us, which mine displays slighter lower of all models that I was able to access (Credit Karma: Transunion, Experian and AMEX: FICO). My wife's score displays significantly lower than I could access on any of those sites which would definitely result in a higher interest rate. The model also states serious delinquency negatively affecting credit score and there are no delinquencies on her credit from any reports I'm able to access and I know there shouldn't be because I help manage her credit/finances.

The models used were Transunion/FICO Classic (04) for her, and for me Experian/FAIR, ISAAC (VER. 2)

Is this normal practice? I'm confused as to why a lender would pull different models for different individuals on the same application unless it were to find a reason to lower the median score to offer higher rates (which sounds strange, considering how rates are plenty high right now and could result in DTI denials). If a broker is a direct lender, should I be trying multiple direct lender brokers or is that unethical to make multiple people work for only one to get paid in the end? Or does this only applies to normal brokers and not direct lenders?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can through our second time around and definitely don't want to be stepping on any toes here.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied May 20 2023, 13:08

Mortgage credit reports are not that similar to the consumer one you pulled at credit Karma. Lenders use the lowest middle mortgage score of the two of you. Ask them to send you the complete report. Each of you has three scores, her middle being the lowest is the one used for pricing.

"direct lender" what exactly do they mean by this advertisement?

You can provide the full mortgage report to another lender and have them price out the loan.

You lender should have taken thirty minutes or an hour to review with you your credit reports in detail. "serious delinquency" is noted on mortgage report?

If your lender hasn't dived into explaining your scores feel free to email me and call me to explain, no obligation. 

Each tradeline history has bars that go back to the date opened. Are all the bars black? 

User Stats

Votes
Jared H.
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Replied May 20 2023, 14:06

@Caroline Gerardo
Sorry for any confusion or lack of proper terminology, this is all just strictly info from the simple one-page credit score report we just got in the mail sent from the lender. The mortgage is still processing. The "serious delinquency" is noted as a factor that adversely affected her credit score on the simple one-page credit score report, and I thought it was a bit crazy to have a 45 point difference when our first mortgage application (years ago) credit report was within +/- 10 points of our consumer-accessed reports. But I understand different score models are used.

So, you are saying of those three models from each of us they will select and display on their one-page credit score report, only the model that was used with their guidelines (lowest-middle score), which could be why I'm only seeing one score and one model for each of us which happen to be different score models? That makes sense now if so, thank you very much! Also, thank you for the offer in explaining the scores, I will see if the lender will go over them so I can identify what delinquency exists and I will request the full reports, I'm almost positive there are no delinquencies, our consumer scores vary mid-high 700's and low-mid 800's. There was no tradeline history on the score report, I assume I'll need to request the full report for this.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Jared H.
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Replied May 20 2023, 15:14

Also, I was told that as a direct lender, they handle the entire process in-house (originate, process, fund).

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied May 21 2023, 07:44

As a direct lender doesn't mean much. 

A lender can fund with their warehouse line and sell everything the closing day, or have overlay rules that are more tight than other shops. Most all lenders sell the loans but to different buyer types.

Get the whole report it will answer your questions.

User Stats

Votes
Caroline Gerardo
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Laguna Niguel, CA
Replied May 25 2023, 17:31

Did they give you the complete credit report @Jared H. //??

User Stats

Votes
Jared H.
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Klamath Falls, OR
Replied May 25 2023, 18:17

I'm going to request a copy of the full report soon but I haven't heard any update from the lenders on the applications yet, so I'm waiting for them to call, in case they're busy with other tasks, I don't want to burden them since it's mostly curiosity. I didn't really get a straight answer when I asked last week, other than they use mid-score. Thanks for checking @Caroline Gerardo