From Stupid to Successful

3 Replies

Starting in February 2015 I started the real estate industry with literally no knowledge, i didn't even understand how mortgages work (the Stupid me.) So i devoted the next 3 months to reading, and uncovering knowledge as if my life depended on it, and it sort of did. You see I had reached my end, I came from a poor upbringing where nothing was ever good enough for my parents, where getting a job was top priority. Then I became a self made success in the video game world, and then moved my success into many different business types. Then life takes a dump on you, I became a widow and had to fight to get my son back from the parents in a different state. Depression and anxiety came about and my happy lifestyle ended. I won the court battle and became a full time father (which in and of itself is a major undertaking) I then started a consultation business and helped over 2 dozen businesses flip their margins. I was becoming mildly successful again, but I was not happy with dealing with the stresses of dummy business owners and guns put in my face for having to fire their employees due to excess staffing, so I quit my business and focused on teaching what I love which is video game development at a high school and college. Which brings me back to why my life sort of did depend on my real estate business, I had reached my desired end, my plateau of complacency if you will, I was done. So I kicked it into high gear and studied the hell out of real estate books, blogs, and bigger pockets was a huge resource. After studying for 3 months, school had ended and I was ready to start. I jumped on MLS found some below list properties and started contracting for buy and holds. I learned my process was not perfect so I have networked my way around San Antonio and have reworked my business model and work-systems. Now my business runs smoothly, going from Marketing, acquisitions, deal brokering, even to homesteading. I am a forever learner and will continue to educate myself in this business and find new creative strategies for solving problems and creating mutual profits.

Inspiring story @Justin Kane .  Thanks for sharing and I wish you continued success.  

Thanks for sharing @Justin Kane

Sorry about the tough events you went through, but I am glad to see those events had not stopped you from achieving your goals. I thought I was the only one that didn't know what a mortgage was recently (a year ago) and still learning the basics. I am determined to learn though just like you. Your story just helped me today at inspiring to achieve more, thank you for that.  

Thank you for sharing your story, Justin Kane I'm impressed with how quickly you've been able to jump into investing! I'm also intrigued by your video game career. My 15 y/o son is taking a video game design class this year and absolutely loves it! Hopefully our paths will cross at a REI event sometime.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here