My First BRRRR

My First BRRRR

Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes

Bigger Pockets has been instrumental in helping me get my REI business off the ground. I would have never been able to complete this transaction without the help of the BP community. The seller of this house found me through a cash offer advertisement I had posted on craigslist. I was super scared to buy it after the inspection and I almost let the deal walk. I'll never forget pulling up the carpet and watching bugs and worms scatter! Thankfully I had some great colleagues in my network that encouraged me to move forward.

Before

After

Here are some quick numbers:

Purchase Price: $10,000 (negotiated down from $15,000 asking)

Rehab: $35,000

ARV: $75,000

Rent: $880/mo

Closing/Holding Costs: $2500

Projected monthly cashflow (unleveraged): $500/mo for a 12.5% cash return

If all goes to plan, I'll be able to refi after my 6 month seasoning and get all my money back and still cashflow about $266/mo.

I'm happy to share more details if anyone is interested.  

I'm so grateful for this community!!!  THANK YOU!

45Reply
236 views

Most Popular Reply

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
9y

WHAT is that third picture with the green and yellow circles?!? @Chris Pohlson

See this reply in the discussion

93 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    WHAT is that third picture with the green and yellow circles?!? @Chris Pohlson

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    9y

    @Mindy Jensen That was the 30 amp electrical box that hadn't been updated since the home was built.  You may have noticed the quarter inch thick layer of grease all over it? It used to be housed in the kitchen above the stove. :)

  • Investor · Lancaster, PA · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 28 votes
    9y

    Very nicely done!  You rehab looks great and your numbers do too!

    What is the rough breakdown of the $35,000 rehab?

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    9y

    @Brendan R.  Thank you. I knew someone was going to ask me that!  I'm set to break it down with my contractor next week.  The major expenses were moving and upgrading the electrical, replacing the subfloor throughout the entire house, replacing windows, plumbing fixes, and replacing drywall throughout the home.  I'll report back when I have the exact numbers and let you know.

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    I thought I was buying bottom of the electrical barrel with my 60-amp. HAHAHA!

  • Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Congratulations & well done!  

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2015 · 139 posts · 98 votes
    9y

    This is impressive!  Congratulations to you for going through with the deal.  Those numbers look great.  I'm eager to see the rehab breakdown.

  • Full Time Investor · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2013 · 320 posts · 154 votes
    9y

    @Chris Pohlson looks great and congratulations!  Can you tell me what you are using for flooring in the kitchen?  It really makes the place pop.

  • Real Estate Agent · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2015 · 180 posts · 69 votes
    9y

    Great numbers and rehab! How long did it take? 

  • Investor · Collinsville, IL · Member since 2014 · 63 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    Nice job!  I was thinking a build up of cigarette tar on the fuse box...kitchen grease is even better, more flammable!  Congrats on the successful rehab!

  • Sedriah F.Pro Member
    Charleston, SC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    Great job. The work you did is what scares me $35,000 isn't bad for upgrading the electrical, replacing the subfloor throughout the entire house, replacing windows, plumbing fixes, and replacing drywall throughout the home. How big is the house? sq ft, Bed/Bath

  • Professional · Berlin, Berlin · Member since 2015 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    wow congrats ! very nicely rehabbed.

  • Investor · Hartsdale, NY · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    This is amazing congrats!

    Were you present for the entire reno (daily or weekly) or did you do it from afar? How did you ensure your contractor did it the way you wanted? How long did the reno take? How did you find your contractor?

    Sorry for all the questions I'm about to make an offer on a BRRRR property but it's a couple hours away and I'm nervous about not being there daily

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the kind words, guys.  I really appreciate it! @Jon Sanborn The rehab took about 2 months to complete.  @Sedriah F. The home is really small-around 700 sq ft 2 bed/1 bath.

    @David Torres  Thank you.  We used vinyl throughout the entire home. Not sure the exact specs on it.  It wasn't the cheapest or the most expensive.  Right in the middle.

  • Engineer · rockville, MD · Member since 2016 · 82 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Chris PohlsonIt would be wonderful if you can share a link to the calculator or just attach a pdf ...

  • Rental Property Investor · Davenport, FL · Member since 2016 · 593 posts · 382 votes
    9y

    @Chris Pohlson that electrical box made me laugh out loud. This is a beautiful rehab job. Nicely done. 

  • Goodyear, AZ · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    Man, that's awesome! I'm looking for something similar in Las Vegas but even fixers that can rent out for $800-900 are $50k+ currently.

  • Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2016 · 102 posts · 113 votes
    9y

    @Anthony Boreland  I visited the property once or twice a week.  I put a lot of faith into my contractor and took his advice more often than not since this was my first rodeo.  (he owns about 40 units himself). 

    @David Torres  The brand name of the vinyl flooring is Shaw.  It was $1.30/sqft.

    @Santosh Bhor  I would but I'm super cheap and haven't bought a pro membership yet.  I'm out of my free calculator attempts.  I should probably just pony up.

  • Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2016 · 56 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    Awesome job @Chris Pohlson! This is very inspiring...thanks for sharing! Congratulations! :-) 

    May we all have Bigger Pockets!

  • Investor · Portsmouth, VA · Member since 2016 · 289 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    Did you keep the wood paneling in the room in the second picture? @Chris Pohlson

  • Investor · London, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    What a facelift. You pulled out the woodburning stove and took down the wall between the kitchen and livingroom, did you? Looks great. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Palm Beach Gardens, FL · Member since 2015 · 57 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Looks great! Well done. 

  • Bowling Green, KY · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    If you don't mind me asking, how did you fund the project? And did you have a contractor give you a bid before you made the purchase?

  • Investor · St. Thomas, Ontario · Member since 2015 · 692 posts · 312 votes
    9y

    @Chris Pohlson

    Congratulations on your ~30k equity boost. How did you figure the ARV?

  • Ryan HebertPro Member
    Architect · Albuquerque, NM · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Beautiful BRRR...now to Repeat! Right?!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.