Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Votes |
Today - at age 24 - I "retired". Here's how I did it.

Filipe Pereira
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Windsor Locks, CT
Posted Sep 7 2017, 15:23

Hey all! Just sharing my story with the hope that it will light a fire under some of you, or keep the one you've already got burning hot. Here we go: 

It all started with a small loan of a million dollars from my dad....okay, okay only kidding!!

Last year I purchased a 4 plex with good amount of money down (20-25%) in East Hartford Connecticut. PP was 200K, and rents were at $3605 a month. I sat on the property for a few months, felt out the tenants and have since then asked a few tenants to leave, or increased their rent as a way to encourage them to find new housing. In the last 11 months or so, I have rehabbed two apartments (10-12K of material, labor done by yours truly) and am now sitting at gross rents just shy of $4,110. Recap - I got a 4 plex, put in 10-12K of rehab to get out an extra 6K per year. I like that ROI!

Most recently I purchased a SFR in Windsor Locks, CT. I'll admit, I'm a huge car buff, and I wanted the place for the generously sized 4 car garage....well, once we got to the inspection period, I didn't think the numbers would work, so I started to back out. The listing agent made magic happen though, and got the sellers to drop the price 60K! I figured that the house needed 30-40K worth of work. This property quickly became a home run deal.

Even though I'm a car guy and wanted that garage badly, I knew I had to mortgage the rest of the house with it...but, what 24 year old in their right mind needs a 4 bedroom house for himself? So guess who got himself a couple of house mates?? This guy! The mortgage and then some is covered, and now I am sitting on two properties, both with what I would consider good equity. One I will likely never sell, the other is more of a live-in-for-free-while-making-a-profit-flip. 

At this point, the money I make as a landlord is getting dangerously close to the money I was taking home from my W2 job as an entry level architect in training in downtown Hartford. I've decided to put that career on hold to develop a property management company here in north central CT. There is no way I could "retire" and sit on my butt for the next 60 years! Plus, I want to buy more cash producing assets, and be my own boss....that takes money! ;)

Here's to financial freedom, my friends!! 

Filipe

Connecticut Property Management Logo

Loading replies...