First Eviction Complete- How I survived.

8 Replies

Well BP, 

My first eviction has come and gone.  I currently own 15 units, and have owned real estate for 1.5 years now and I had my first eviction today, June 13th 2018.  The tenants were professional tenants.  During my background check they actually gave me the # of one of their family members as their "landlord", bad due diligence on my part.  So 3 months delinquent on rent, how did I survive?

OWNING MULTIPLE PROPERTIES. If this single family house were my only investment I would have struggled to cover the basic PITI, yes @Grant Cardone, you are right...... But since I owned multiple units that were collecting income I could go through the eviction process without any repercussions of my personal bank account. My other tenants payed for their rent.

So my best advice, acquire more units.  

I love the power of real estate and can't wait to gain more and more experience.

Thanks again BP.  Now please get me on the podcast!! @Mindy Jensen @Joshua Dorkin @Brandon Turner @David Greene @Scott Trench  

How much capital were you working with in order to acquire 15 units in 1.5 years?

So sorry you had to go through that.  Evictions are easily the worst part of landlording.  I agree that proper reserves/cash flow are what it takes to get you through pretty much any challenge.  I've done 4 and the only thing that gets easier is working your way through the paperwork.  Everything else is a strain.  I've never lost as much sleep as I do when I'm in the middle of an eviction.

Hang in there.  BP should give badges for First Eviction Completed.  (@Mindy Jensen - We need badges!!!!)

Hey @Max T. , great question. Well first off my market average purchase price is around $30,000-$45,000. So i'm acquiring my units at a large discount. I purchased 4 then used the BRRR method to pull my cash out after the renovations and rolled that into others.

I also had around $100,000 from investors, paying them 10%.

@Linda Weygant Thank you for the encouragement!  Yes, agreed 100%, but I guess they always say the "first is always the hardest".  So hopefully it is better from here!  

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you