Skip to content
Contractors

User Stats

Votes
Diana Tran
Votes |
If seller agrees to do all of the repairs before closing, how can I ensure quality?

Diana Tran
Posted May 1 2024, 08:57

I'm a first time home buyer, right now under contract to buy a duplex in Tampa. After inspection, we discover there's drywood termite damage, moisture/water leaks seen from the attic and ceiling, roof doesn't have a permit with old patches. Owner agreed to fix everything. 

We are purchasing this remotely. This is our first time working with this real estate agent. We are mainly worried about the quality of the repair. How can we reduce our risk and ensure the job is done right? For those doing all of this remotely, how to ensure quality assurance when it comes to repairs?

I was told to ask about warranty, look into who's the licensed contractors, and perhaps get a real estate attorney. 

User Stats

Votes
Henry Clark
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Commercial Real Estate Investing Contributor
  • Developer
Replied May 1 2024, 09:22

Add a deduct for estimated repairs on the closing document and you take care of the repairs.  That guarantees your in charge of quality. Otherwise you or someone else will need to be there when they do the tear out.  And again when they do the repair.  

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 1 2024, 09:53

What Henry said. You get a credit and take care of the repairs yourself later. 

if the seller does do the repairs, you can pay your home inspector a little extra just to go back and verify the quality of those repairs. Most home inspectors with a construction background will do this. I used to.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Diana Tran
Votes |
Replied May 1 2024, 12:05

@Henry Clark Thank you Henry! Since I'm a first time home buyer, I don't anything about repairs and how it works. I also dont have a team of people yet to help me besides my realtor. I think @Bruce Woodruff has a point about potentially hiring an inspector with a construction background to check the repair work. I'm open to hearing any ideas!

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied May 1 2024, 12:10
Quote from @Diana Tran:

@Henry Clark Thank you Henry! Since I'm a first time home buyer, I don't anything about repairs and how it works. I also dont have a team of people yet to help me besides my realtor. I think @Bruce Woodruff has a point about potentially hiring an inspector with a construction background to check the repair work. I'm open to hearing any ideas!

You had a Home Inspector already right? Just ask him to reinspect what he called out....should take him 15 minutes, maybe like $100...