• Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Angi Leads/ Home Advisor

Aaron Lee
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Posted Oct 29 2021, 14:17

Any contractors using Angi Leads/ Home Advisor consistently? Got on the phone with one of their reps today and seemed more like a used car sales then a true service. I got on google and read through about 5-6 pages of reviews and seemed to be a 50-50 shot on whether or not it worked well for the contractors. I.e. too many customers not going through with the job and still being billed for the connection, or monthly charges that may or may not have been previously discussed? 

For context I have about 7 years experience in Handyman (and started my electrical license before going to the navy) and have just gone into business for myself. Looking for a good boost to get my feet off the ground, and trying to get opinions on whether this is a smart move.

Thank you for any input, customer and contractor side. As well I am in the San Antonio/Hill Country area in Texas, if that helps with any reference to the situation either.

Thank you again,

Aaron

User Stats

Votes
Caleb Lane
  • Realtor
  • Indian Rocks Beach, Fl
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Indian Rocks Beach, Fl
Replied Oct 29 2021, 17:27

I think Angie's list is outdated now that you can search anything you want on google. If I were starting out as a handyman I would focus on word of mouth referral, setting up my own google business listing for clients and previous clients to leave positive reviews and maybe getting in on one of the gig apps such as thumbtack, etc. Angie's list has turned into the yellow pages and many people don't turn to it as a trusted source anymore. Share on facebook and instagram what you are doing now and that you want to help others. Share useful handyman tips on your social media consistently and people will start to trust you as a professional.

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Lee
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Oct 29 2021, 17:34

I am doing the Facebook and instagram accounts now. And getting my name out here as much as possible. I will look into the google business listing though. Thank you! 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Knapp
  • Contractor
  • Wake Forest, NC
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Wake Forest, NC
Replied Jan 21 2022, 08:36

@Aaron Lee avoid both. They suck and you’ll waste your money. Best to start marketing your services at meetups, networking events and ect. Go to a real estate agent office and tell them what you do. They’ll send you business if you do two things

#1 show up

#2 not do a horrible job

Lol

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Lee
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Feb 23 2022, 13:04
Quote from @Patrick Knapp:

@Aaron Lee avoid both. They suck and you’ll waste your money. Best to start marketing your services at meetups, networking events and ect. Go to a real estate agent office and tell them what you do. They’ll send you business if you do two things

#1 show up

#2 not do a horrible job

Lol

I had been using Thumbtack for the first month or so, and I have to say it was worth it. In the first month I developed a client base that turned into referrals and now i have turned off the advertising on thumbtack entirely. I am busy enough on referrals and repeat customers now I stopped. When I hire a full-time hand I will probably go back to thumbtack just because of the ease of use, in order to drum up more business/jobs for the next hand. I never did use home advisor or Angie's list, in fact I can't get them to stop calling me.