PM and Colleague Request Etiquette

PM and Colleague Request Etiquette

Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes

Hey BP Nation!

I'm new to the community...not just this community but ANY online community. BiggerPockets is the first site to actually get me interested in engaging in any kind of online group. There are some good sticky forum posts on etiquette in the forums but I didn't find much on PM/Colleague requests.

What would you say are good and bad manners when it comes to PM and Colleague Requests?

@Joshua D. and James Vermillion pointed out in a post the importance of leaving a personalized message on your colleague request. Anything else I should keep in mind while networking on the site?

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/81082-colleague-requests

Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

Munck

2Reply
37 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y

All great stuff above!

A few things I guess.

1. Try not to ask vague questions, the more specific you can be the better the replies will (or should) be. Certainly doesn't mean you need to be an expert before asking a question, but asking "How should I buy a property to rent" won't get much, asking "How do I figure the 2% Rule on This" might get better results.

2. Fill out your profile, if you're brand new tell us, if you have 15 years of Commercial risk analysis please say so, we all have to assume knowledge if it's not stated, says a ton of posts.

3. Fill in your location so we can see what state we are talking about, we can't advise an installment sale in Texas or tell you to deed a property over in PA with transfer taxes being due.

4. Try to give applicable information in the question, if it's about a loan we need certain types of info, not a big deal as we can ask, but if you were denied a conventional loan you might give some details as that determines which way to advise. OTH, there is also too much information, try to keep it short, no life history needed, save that for introductions, we do want to get to know everyone.

5. Organize you questions. Might number them making them stand out. If we see 7 or 8 questions in paragraph form and have to read them over and over to pick them out, we may not bother until other aspects are explained. Even better, ask three questions, get answers and then ask three more as they may pertain. You'll get more people addressing two questions than ten.

6. We don't grade posts, but good sentence structure makes a good impression and will make your post better understood. Posts that are hard to understand are usually ignored.

Lastly, it's considered rude to disagree with that guy Financexaminer, avoid that at all costs, he has a reputation of being very gruff and has little tolerance for those who disagree with him. He's an older grumpy guy, but sometimes he can give good advice, which is the only reason we put up with him!

;))

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lexington, KY · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Hey Jason, I cannot think of much else as far as messaging and colleague requests go. The primary issue I see is people who send everyone a colleague request when they are not local, and they do not leave any kind of a message. In that case, I do not see a purpose in accepting the colleague request. However, when someone leaves a message, whether it is short and simple like:

    Hey James, saw you on the forums and thought we had some similar real estate goals, so I thought I would send you a colleague request.

    To some longer messages where people ask questions or comment on previous forum posts...I will always accept. Good luck!

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Thanks @James Vermillion !

    By the way, good job on your podcast. I was inspired by it.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    I'd just make it personal and make sure you're not using PM for advertising or solicitations with people you don't know.

    Let folks know who you are briefly, and why you want to connect with them.

    Keep it cordial without any selling and you should be good!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Palm Springs, CA · Member since 2011 · 144 posts · 78 votes
    12y

    When it comes to the Forum posts, I prefer to keep it cordial (of course), share information, learn a little (no, scratch that....learn A LOT!), congratulate those who are sharing their recent successes (always best to learn from other people's successes, instead of others failures) and if you can do that while adding just a touch of non-offensive humor (ie, when talking about "the 2% rule" or other "rule", Rule number 1 is always "Do NOT talk about fight club.") people will respect you and look forward to your posts.

    Don't forget....Rule number 1 is we do not talk about fight club!

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @James Vermillion @Joshua D.

    I would like to extend your guidance and say if you have never participated in the forums (i.e. zero posts) and send out a colleague request without an personal introduction, the recipient has no context in which to interpret the colleague request.

    Such requests have not substance and are little more than spam. I tend to ignore them until they are retracted or more is known about the sender which entices me to accept the request.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Not sure what "fight club" is, but agree with all above.

    Key ingredients are to always leave a personal message with any colleague request, do not spam or solicit with that system, and it is always helpful when you have completed your profile and uploaded a photo so the receiving member can read about you first along with your message.

  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Thanks everyone for the advice! It's helpful.

    I'm amazed at the power of the community and that I can put a random question out there and get all these responses.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    All great stuff above!

    A few things I guess.

    1. Try not to ask vague questions, the more specific you can be the better the replies will (or should) be. Certainly doesn't mean you need to be an expert before asking a question, but asking "How should I buy a property to rent" won't get much, asking "How do I figure the 2% Rule on This" might get better results.

    2. Fill out your profile, if you're brand new tell us, if you have 15 years of Commercial risk analysis please say so, we all have to assume knowledge if it's not stated, says a ton of posts.

    3. Fill in your location so we can see what state we are talking about, we can't advise an installment sale in Texas or tell you to deed a property over in PA with transfer taxes being due.

    4. Try to give applicable information in the question, if it's about a loan we need certain types of info, not a big deal as we can ask, but if you were denied a conventional loan you might give some details as that determines which way to advise. OTH, there is also too much information, try to keep it short, no life history needed, save that for introductions, we do want to get to know everyone.

    5. Organize you questions. Might number them making them stand out. If we see 7 or 8 questions in paragraph form and have to read them over and over to pick them out, we may not bother until other aspects are explained. Even better, ask three questions, get answers and then ask three more as they may pertain. You'll get more people addressing two questions than ten.

    6. We don't grade posts, but good sentence structure makes a good impression and will make your post better understood. Posts that are hard to understand are usually ignored.

    Lastly, it's considered rude to disagree with that guy Financexaminer, avoid that at all costs, he has a reputation of being very gruff and has little tolerance for those who disagree with him. He's an older grumpy guy, but sometimes he can give good advice, which is the only reason we put up with him!

    ;))

  • Investor · Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    Welcome @Jason Munck - I'd also say that if you can offer to help someone before asking for anything from them that does wonders.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Ah, another tip I forgot.

    On PMs. While it's nice to say thanks to those who give you advice, probably the best way to just say thanks is to bump that vote button, that's kinda what that's for, no, I'm not soliciting votes, but if you send a @mention and say thanks, this is what the person mentioned must do.

    Go to their in box and hit the mentions, then go to the mentions and hit the mention to that thread, then search that thread for the comment where they were mentioned.

    Then they get there and, it says "thanks for the advice" with no other response required. That's nice, but it takes a bit to get there and learn you're not being asked anything or to reply......so you go back to the other business at hand.

    It's much the same in getting emails, opening everything up, going there, searching down to no further info to reply to, just Thanks!

    Save time and efforts, just bump that vote button. If you have other comments for them or seek further replies, please use the @ mention feature!

    By the way, thanks and you're welcome :)

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    @Bill Gulley - I'd like to vote for an "applause" button! Your post is spot on - and should be required reading for all new members. Sending someone a colleague request without any kind of introduction, or background information on your profile, AND a real photo is either poor etiquette or a keystroke mistake (we all make those). Maybe it's a generational thing, or the age of digital relationships and perceived anonymous identities, but I would not expect anyone to accept my colleague request without my giving the same consideration as meeting in person. Greeting and shaking hands with a virtual faceless stranger is really awkward, if not virtually impossible! A little mutual respect and consideration will go a long way, especially when you're building a business and your online reputation. Oh, and I DO check for proper grammar. :)

    As my mother used to tell me - don't be so shy! Or was it trust but verify? Or be nice to old people? Anyway, it was really good advice.

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Thanks, all good points as well, Carolyn.

    I did pick up on your comment as to pictures, sorry my avatar is my domain, mortals may not look upon me but you can picture me with my long white beard and long robe. I really don't establish any business relationships here. I may carve some tablets to guide the lives of investors later on, but I have no real commercial aspirations.

    The other issue is that my image is no where on the internet that is identified as being be, pretty sure about that. I'm wanted by the FBI and it's just a necessary part of privacy, so hope you'll forgive me.

    So, as to what my mom said, do as I say not as I do! Put your pic up! LOL

  • Home Stager · Sussex, WI · Member since 2012 · 170 posts · 64 votes
    12y

    Haha! @Bill Gulley Then my vision of you with a long white beard and robe was accurate! LOL I just assumed with your experience of biblical proportions, and your sharing of tablets, you've earned your stripes and the just reputation as the "ray of sunshine" so depicted in your avatar. :) I do appreciate your wisdom and presence on this site!

    My message was really intended toward those who seem a bit over eager to make arbitrary colleague requests with no stated purpose or identity. I've made my profile accessible, yet they do not extend the same courtesy to me. Much like a job interview, it's a two-way street, and hopefully you'll make a good first impression! It's the old HR role coming out in me I guess.

    Like Bill's mom said . . . do as he says!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    Oh, I like you already Carolyn, you're a sharp lady obviously! :)

  • Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2012 · 822 posts · 303 votes
    12y

    @Will Barnard You have never seen Fight Club!?!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:
    Ah, another tip I forgot.
    On PMs. While it's nice to say thanks to those who give you advice, probably the best way to just say thanks is to bump that vote button, that's kinda what that's for, no, I'm not soliciting votes, but if you send a @mention and say thanks, this is what the person mentioned must do.

    Go to their in box and hit the mentions, then go to the mentions and hit the mention to that thread, then search that thread for the comment where they were mentioned.

    Then they get there and, it says "thanks for the advice" with no other response required. That's nice, but it takes a bit to get there and learn you're not being asked anything or to reply......so you go back to the other business at hand.

    It's much the same in getting emails, opening everything up, going there, searching down to no further info to reply to, just Thanks!

    Save time and efforts, just bump that vote button. If you have other comments for them or seek further replies, please use the @ mention feature!

    By the way, thanks and you're welcome :)

    @Bill Gulley

    @Bill Gulley - now that BP has "vote alerts", the vote vs mention really doesn't matter much anymore, except that the vote count is visible on ALL posts you've made - so that gives readers in other topics an indication of "worthiness" of your posts.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y

    And then I had to go clear a "vote alert" :)

    Thanks Bill :)

  • Investor · Southeast, MI · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    12y

    I think that when you request a colleague, you should always send a nice message. I don't like when someone just sends me a request without a message. I accept them so as not to be a Richard Cranium, but it just seems weird.

    Lately for some reason, I am getting Linkedin requests from people I never heard of. I'm not sure what that's all about, but I haven't been accepting anyone if I don't know them. It seems like they're a bunch of Star Trek nerds in their mom's basement looking for a friend.

  • Investor · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Bill Gulley:

    The other issue is that my image is no where on the internet that is identified as being be, pretty sure about that. I'm wanted by the FBI and it's just a necessary part of privacy, so hope you'll forgive me.

    I'm sorry to maybe burst your bubble, but there's someone on google image parading with your name in your city, involved in real estate. Just thought I'd give a 'heads up', because the FBI likely saw that as well. But maybe that's a decoy that you put out there to confuse everyone.......

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
    And then I had to go clear a "vote alert" :)

    Thanks Bill :)

    Welcome, buddy! Etiquette goes out the window between us old guys, more like a locker room..... LOL

  • Derreck WellsPro Member
    Specialist · Pelham, NH · Member since 2013 · 544 posts · 269 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Justin Stamper:
    @Will Barnard You have never seen Fight Club!?!

    Or he's just following the first rule!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Rob K:
    ...
    Lately for some reason, I am getting Linkedin requests from people I never heard of. I'm not sure what that's all about, but I haven't been accepting anyone if I don't know them. It seems like they're a bunch of Star Trek nerds in their mom's basement looking for a friend.

    @Rob K.

    @Rob K. - lots of "LinkedIn requests" are actually just scammers trying to snatch personal info; I ignore all Linkedin stuff these days due to the extent of spam/scams.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Justin Stamper:
    @Will Barnard You have never seen Fight Club!?!

    Aside from a few shows I watch with my wife, the balance of my tv time is sports. So no, never seen it.

  • Derreck WellsPro Member
    Specialist · Pelham, NH · Member since 2013 · 544 posts · 269 votes
    12y
    Originally posted by Will Barnard:
    Originally posted by Justin Stamper:
    @Will Barnard You have never seen Fight Club!?!

    Aside from a few shows I watch with my wife, the balance of my tv time is sports. So no, never seen it.

    @Will Bernard - It's a Brad Pitt movie from '99. You should watch it. Here's the synopsis...

    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0137523/

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Will do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.