The New BiggerPockets is Here!

216 Replies

Originally posted by @Joshua Dorkin:

Folks - The design changes we made were done because we felt they improved the look/feel of the site. You're welcome to disagree with them, but I can't explain why we made every single design choice. Thanks for the understanding.

@Will Barnard - On the forums, when you place your mouse over a thread, you'll see an arrow allowing you to jump to the last post on the right side.

Ok, great as far as desktop is concerned. That does not help when on the IPad unfortunately. The old system did allow for this feature while on IPad. As to the photo design choices, it is party, just providing you my feedback as requested by Brandon. I can withhold any future feedback on design choices if you like.

Great, thanks Josh. Most of my BP work is now down on the IPad so that would be most helpful.

Two more suggestions @Joshua Dorkin  

When you click on the great votes button to see who voted for that thread, a window pops up and shows you, when you close the window, it reloads the page and you have to scroll back to where you left off. It would be better for the window to just close and keep up where you were.

Also, when down at the bottom of a thread page, it would be a great convenient option to have a "back to top" bottom rather than having to scroll back up.

@Joshua Dorkin  and @Brandon Turner  

I am having issues with images on the new site. Images within the forum posts are not appearing all the time.

Specifically this post I see Dev's Scion image find but Michael Q's van on page one does not show and neither does Rocky's truck on the second page.

This is a very thin line that, when I hover over it, there is an image link that I can click on and it takes me to the image in another window. I'm using Internet explorer if that matters.

Thanks.

Hi Josh,

New look is nice and clean.  Look forward to digging into it more.  One thing I have struggled with over the past couple weeks is how to get to my inbox to read messages.  I can get to the inbox through an e-mail telling me I have a new message, but I cannot seem to find a good link from either the home page or my profile.  Can you help?  Am I just looking in the wrong places?

Thanks

Jim

I am really digging the new "Subscribed Forums" item.  This helps to weed through all of the content and allows one to quickly aggregate the forums they're the most interested in without having to navigate a bunch of the separately.   This is my favorite part of the new site.  

I like the layout of the new site.  Much cleaner and easier to navigate.  I have not run into any bugs or issue yet.  It is good to see the evolution and expansion of the site.

I'm having some trouble with the search function on the new site. It seems its not searching the actual forums very much. I typed in "seo" which gave me plenty of bigger pockets blog posts but 0 for forum posts. 

Where is the edit button? I hate when I am in a hurry and the iPad auto correct changes the words and I don't catch it until its posted.

Thank you!

I recognize the HUGE effort involved in a new site, and I realize you (BP) are doing this for US, so please know that I appreciate the hard word and dedication to serving our community with this site.  I don't mean to be a downer here, but merely offer some critical thoughts about the new design (I've done a few sites in my time...).

The new site has more "white space" in many sections which at times feels inefficient compared to the old site.  There are some functions or features that I still haven't found... I feel like I need some TRAINING on this new site (like a video or webinar), whereas the old site seemed to be more intuitive.

I suppose I am getting more averse to change as I get older.  =)  I like the new site - it's OK - but I'm not seeing what the BENEFITS are of the new site over the old one.  What can I now do better, faster. cheaper to offset my learning curve of figuring out the new site?  What was broken in the old design that is fixed in the new one?  I'm not sure YET.  Perhaps this will all become obvious with more time spent in the new design.

Originally posted by @Dev Horn:

I recognize the HUGE effort involved in a new site, and I realize you (BP) are doing this for US, so please know that I appreciate the hard word and dedication to serving our community with this site.  I don't mean to be a downer here, but merely offer some critical thoughts about the new design (I've done a few sites in my time...).

The new site has more "white space" in many sections which at times feels inefficient compared to the old site.  There are some functions or features that I still haven't found... I feel like I need some TRAINING on this new site (like a video or webinar), whereas the old site seemed to be more intuitive.

I suppose I am getting more averse to change as I get older.  =)  I like the new site - it's OK - but I'm not seeing what the BENEFITS are of the new site over the old one.  What can I now do better, faster. cheaper to offset my learning curve of figuring out the new site?  What was broken in the old design that is fixed in the new one?  I'm not sure YET.  Perhaps this will all become obvious with more time spent in the new design.

Thanks Dev for the Feedback, and yes, all constructive criticism is welcome! 

So, perhaps the largest reason we made the change was simply to bring the design up to modern standards (versus a 2003 standard, as before.) Study after study shows sites with more modern design tend to grow better, achieve more press, and allow people to use it longer.  So that was a big deal for us. The white space- there is definitely more, which we may be filling in more in the coming days with some more ads (that's why it might look a little too-white spacy right now.)  

As for training, yes - I'm actually working on that right now, but you can see some of it at http://beta.biggerpockets.com/help

Finally, yes, the site will take some getting used to for those who are accustomed to the old site, but I think the new design will be SO much more intuitive for those who had never seen the old site. We're going to be continually tracking, testing, and tweaking the functionality as we go along also, to see what works the best for folks, so you'll likely see more changes coming. 

Also- just a few things that work better now for building your biz: 

- BiggerPockets.com/meet 

- The Dashboard (BiggerPockets.com/dashboard) has more items that can be accessed, such as the ability to listen to the podcast directly from there (try it out!)  and the Post Score section with the leaderboard allows people to see their influence, and the "Recommendations" has been revamped to allow people to brag about themselves a little better. 

- The Navigation Bar, now on top, is much better organized for easy retrieval of things, especially under the "learn" and "network" tabs.

Those are just a few things! But yes, I have more training coming soon. I think you'll find the more you play around with this site, the more you'll realize how out-of-date, slow, and complicated the old version was. When I go back to that one, now that I've been on this for a few weeks, I shudder! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here