The New BiggerPockets is Here!

The New BiggerPockets is Here!

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Hey All --

After many months of work, the New BiggerPockets is now here!

If you're on the old site, click the link at the top orange bar and you can start using it today or go to http://beta.biggerpockets.com

We've got a bunch of tutorials coming our shortly.

If you guys have questions, please feel free to ask, otherwise we encourage you to play around.  Enjoy!

5Reply
325 views

Most Popular Reply

Boston, MA · Member since 2014 · 152 posts · 63 votes
12y

@Brandon Turner & @Joshua D. ... This was my face when I saw the new site! LOL

Nice job guys! It's SOOOO visually appealing! 

See this reply in the discussion

216 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Shera Gregory , 

    I have the same problem with Rich mond in Virginia and Oakla nd county in Michigan. And Bay Ar ea in a bunch of states! (put in spaces so I don't bug everyone) lol This is the real Rich mond over here! I was thinking Rich mond VA should change their name! lol jk

    I don't think there is any way to exclude by person or geography yet.. :(

    But let me know if you hear of one, and I'll try to be judicious in the meantime!

  • BRACO DO NORTE, Santa Catarina · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 1 vote
    12y

    nice!

  • Colleen F.Pro Member
    Investor · Narragansett, RI · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    In general like that you retained the basic structure and naming so you are not looking for something that you could find a day ago. Like that the  podcast seems easier to navigate to. I would agree with some of the previous posters that it has a nicer look and has some navigation pluses.

    My one critique is that I am not loving these circle pictures.  The pictures are small anyway and now I can imagine someone having trouble with where they should be in the circle so the top of their head doesn't look like they are scalped.. there are a few looking chopped off already. I suppose you get used to it but it seems like an unneeded "improvement" but just one persons' opinion. 

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Colleen F. - Users can update their photos if they are getting cut off and use our photo sizing tool to zoom in or out of the photo to focus on their faces.  Sorry you don't like the change.

  • Investor · New York City, NY · Member since 2014 · 75 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Hi Joshua, 

    My name is Roy Assaf and I'm a new investor based in New York City.

    I'm actually a jazz musician and together with my partner (who is a jazz musician as well) we have been seriously devoting our time and mind over the past few months into real estate.

    I've been listening to your podcast every day and it's absolutely amazing!

    Thank you so much for all you have been doing and helping.

    Best,

    Roy

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Roy Assaf and thanks for hopping on to share your feedback.  I'm glad you're a fan and hope you'll continue to participate here on BP.  Do jump in and create a new member introduction so folks can learn more about you on your own thread.  Good luck!

  • Real Estate Investor · Newark, NJ · Member since 2013 · 73 posts · 9 votes
    12y

    The site is great @Joshua Dorkin. Everyone should check it out!!!

                                                                                                                                                                           Everyone should check it out!

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    12y

    What was the thought process in switching to the round circles over the square pictures?

    Not saying I like one over the other just curious as the what benefit the circles provide or change.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joel Owens:

    What was the thought process in switching to the round circles over the square pictures?

    Not saying I like one over the other just curious as the what benefit the circles provide or change.

    After switching to the new beta version, I became very scared as I could not get back to the OG version. There were several issues I had and had to read 10 pages of this thread to find the answers to them. Thank goodness there were answers! As to the circle photos for avatars, I too agree that the square version was much better both for size and looks, the squares are more clean and contemporary in my humble opinion.

    Another item I am having trouble with and can't find a solution in this thread, when clicking to a thread, on the old version you could click the small arrow to go immediately to the last page in a thread. Now you have to go to page one, then the page you want.

    Lastly, as to the inbox messages, while I found the solution for unread messages, I believe it would be much better, and easier for users, not to mention a simple programming item, to make the unread messages in the inbox in red and read in blue rather than the light blue dark blue (or gray, whatever it actually is) as the color difference would be so much easier to visually see.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    The tagging is definitely much more reliable/stable after the new roll out. Thanks @Joshua D. , @Brandon Turner , @Jaren Barnes , and everyone else at BP!

    One issue that I've been having: When I click on my profile, then go to "Followed Discussion", I keep getting Error 500 for the last few days.. Used to work on same computer/browser..

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Folks - The design changes we made were done because we felt they improved the look/feel of the site. You're welcome to disagree with them, but I can't explain why we made every single design choice. Thanks for the understanding.

    @Will Barnard - On the forums, when you place your mouse over a thread, you'll see an arrow allowing you to jump to the last post on the right side.

    @J. Martin - If you could send a note to support on the issue, we can investigate.  I can't replicate the issue and I think a screencast would help -- http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ -- just take a video of it happening and email us and we'll get it sorted out. Thanks.

  • Real Estate Investor · Sebastian, FL · Member since 2014 · 812 posts · 432 votes
    12y

    A few issues I have noticed. They may be described above, but too many posts to read through to find out.

    In the old version if you were scrolling down the list of forum posts and went to a post, using the browser back button brought you to the spot you left the list. Now you end up having to scroll through and figure out where you were at. Quite annoying and a waste of time.

    No pattern to it, but a few times when selecting a post to read from the dashboard display I was directed to the forum posts listing rather than the post itself. When it happened, it was repeatable if I went back.

    I know the post scores are only meaningful as feedback, but I saw where several times when I returned that it dropped several votes and posts from the count at the previous login.

    But even with the issues, overall it is great.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    Hey @Walt Payne - Good feedback, especially on the clicking back comment.  We'll see about getting a solution to that.  I definitely can see how it can be annoying.

  • Specialist · Atlantic City, NJ · Member since 2013 · 431 posts · 170 votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. Is there a way to remove a vote?  I hit vote by accident trying to look at the user who had voted a post.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Joshua D.:

    Folks - The design changes we made were done because we felt they improved the look/feel of the site. You're welcome to disagree with them, but I can't explain why we made every single design choice. Thanks for the understanding.

    @Will Barnard - On the forums, when you place your mouse over a thread, you'll see an arrow allowing you to jump to the last post on the right side.

     Ok, great as far as desktop is concerned. That does not help when on the IPad unfortunately. The old system did allow for this feature while on IPad. As to the photo design choices, it is party, just providing you my feedback as requested by Brandon. I can withhold any future feedback on design choices if you like.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Will Barnard - I was not aware that this didn't work on an ipad until your post, so thank you for letting me know about the issue.  We'll get it rectified.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Great, thanks Josh. Most of my BP work is now down on the IPad so that would be most helpful.

  • Will BarnardPro Member
    Moderator
    Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    12y

    Two more suggestions @Joshua D. 

    When you click on the great votes button to see who voted for that thread, a window pops up and shows you, when you close the window, it reloads the page and you have to scroll back to where you left off. It would be better for the window to just close and keep up where you were.

    Also, when down at the bottom of a thread page, it would be a great convenient option to have a "back to top" bottom rather than having to scroll back up.

  • Rock Stream, NY · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 1 vote
    12y

    Great!  Super job!!!

  • Pflugerville, TX · Member since 2014 · 1 post · 0 votes
    12y

    Clicking on "Read Latest Blog Posts..." gives me a 404.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Chris Edwards - Where are you seeing that link?  What is the URL you're on when you click it AND what is the page you're sent to?

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. and @Brandon Turner 

     I am having issues with images on the new site. Images within the forum posts are not appearing all the time.

    Specifically this post I see Dev's Scion image find but Michael Q's van on page one does not show and neither does Rocky's truck on the second page.

    This is a very thin line that, when I hover over it, there is an image link that I can click on and it takes me to the image in another window. I'm using Internet explorer if that matters.

    Thanks.

  • Jim HartmannPro Member
    Multi-family Investor · Columbus, IN · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 25 votes
    12y

    Hi Josh,

    New look is nice and clean.  Look forward to digging into it more.  One thing I have struggled with over the past couple weeks is how to get to my inbox to read messages.  I can get to the inbox through an e-mail telling me I have a new message, but I cannot seem to find a good link from either the home page or my profile.  Can you help?  Am I just looking in the wrong places?

    Thanks

    Jim

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    I am really digging the new "Subscribed Forums" item.  This helps to weed through all of the content and allows one to quickly aggregate the forums they're the most interested in without having to navigate a bunch of the separately.   This is my favorite part of the new site.  

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Jim Hartmann - Go to the profile image to the right of the search bar and you'll see INBOX in that list of links.

    @Bryan Hancock - I think a lot of people are going to find that to be a fan favorite.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.