What annoys you about bigger pockets?

What annoys you about bigger pockets?

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes

So I thought i'd be fun to ask this as sometimes Im reading posts and get annoyed.  Dont get me wrong, I love biggerpockets and If it wasn't for this site, i would not be even close to where I'm at right now with my real estate goals.   But anyhow, here is what annoys me about some of the posts I see on biggerpockets.  

1) When reading an ad on the market place that advertises a zillow or tax appraisal value as a selling point.  Really!?

2) When reading an ad on the marketplace that advertises what the max zillow value was back in 2006 as a selling point.  (Ridiculous!)

3) When turnkey sellers offer their product and dont state the most basic of expenses like maintenance and repairs.  

4) When the same negative nancy posters comment on peoples posts.  You know who you are!  I have certain names I just skip now and dont even bother reading their comments.  I dont have a paid membership so I cant block people.

What annoys you?   

3Reply
92 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y

I agree too, your #4 is interesting and you may not even be reading my post!

My issue is with Exception ED, he's the guy that expects comments to his particular case that is broadly defined, he doesn't do any searching of his topic before posting a question that has been answered 100+ times before, he's just exceptional and deserves special attention. Might call him Entitled Ed, as he's entitled to other people's time after they already addressed his concerns, he's just special.

His brother is Lazy Larry, not only does he not put forth any effort to search for answers, he wants to be spoon fed information that is tailored to his opinions, often based on poor practices and information.

Ed's cousin is Fluffing Fred, this guy has the same family traits but is puts out bad information puffing up his strategy, probably beyond what he has actually accomplished and has unethical and illegal aspects. He really wants to be like his brother, Guru George and like him, will defend bad advice as he perceives his business at risk if he doesn't stick to his opinions, regardless of how it may effect others.

Then there is the Predatory Pete clan, investing is some twisted plan to grab any dollar they can without any concern for the ones they deal with or in advancing their position. This bunch tries to justify bad practices while suggesting they are doing those win-win deals. Some know better and don't care, others simply don't know any better and allow their ego to govern.

If there weren't so many of these types, Negative Nancy would be as motivated to call out bad apples or comment on poor advice. Her motivation is to ensure that newbies at least have a clue as to the reality of realty, what is unethical and illegal, what may lead to mistakes, problems and the loss of their money.

Some members are the type that if they see a purse snatcher on the corner grabbing granny's purse they will stop the thief, some don't get involved, some don't care, some want to know how to snatch purses as it seems profitable and pretty easy to do.

I'd say the other issues mentioned above, 1-3 are pretty much due to the lack of knowledge, that, or they are operating on the dark side.

The attitudes of posters are pretty easy to understand on BP, some see RE as a profession, some just want to operate with just enough information to grab a buck. You know who you are....   :)      

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Broker · Logan, UT · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    As this site gets bigger, searching functionality gets more important.  I posted a request for better search functionality here.  Turns out, searching this site with Google is more effective than the built in search.

    Some thoughts:  

    • Posters could do a better job of including links to other (helpful) threads instead of just saying that it has been posted about lots of times elsewhere on this site or "Do a search for..."
    • Mods/developers should add stickies.  There are a lot of great and informative threads on this site that get buried as they get older.  By flagging certain helpful threads, it may decrease redundancy.

    Wm

  • Residential Landlord · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2014 · 81 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Love the site and have turned many others onto it. I've learned LOTS and still learning. I guess I'm more focused on that aspect rather than paying attention to the mishaps and inaccuracies of others. I try my best to TIME MANAGE and get all I can in that time. Heading to a more productive thread/forum...  :)-

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    I am the worst speller, and a fast typer, so I know I constantly make grammatical mistakes. My brain is math heavy, which is good for REI, but I am the worst writer ever!

    I do wish people used the search bar more often to answer questions that have already been answered, but sometimes people add information that is useful and new to the conversation....

    and I have met @Jay Hinrichs wife, and she is that pretty in person :)

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    11y

    Hello,

    I'm a noob!

    Imma get rich sups fast using buying what I think are called Turkey deals cuz they are 100% easy to do and pretty much gaurantied to not fail!!!!!!

    Do a search for 'Introductions' and u can find my previous post!

  • Urbana, IL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 425 votes
    11y

    BTW, anyone no where I can find good handyman that is licensed and insured but is low pay and great work and doesn't moonlight and is in the SE section of Anywhere, USA?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Petersburg, FL · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 951 votes
    11y

    The Marketplace. It's impossible to effectively search and the vast majority of the offers are pure crap. I would like to see BP charge to start each topic in there so people actually make sure what they are posting is worthwhile. It would also be nice to split it into two sections, one where people can try to sell things (charge per post) and one that's still free for pro/plus members for the blog posts, website links, meetups, etc that aren't allowed in the free section.

    I continually see things like deals that are "posted for a friend" where the OP has no clue what is being offered and cannot answer questions, deals that are just MLS listings, MLS "wholesale" properties at higher prices than the MLS listing, the same user posting an ad for his website nearly every day (but under the guise that he has a separate website for the same thing in every county in the state), and many more if I had time to look through today's posts. If someone had to pay a small fee to make these posts there would be less junk in that section and BP would make some extra profit.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Colleen F.:

    ...

    I dislike made up lingo.   House hacker ...  a phrase that should not have been coined.

    ...

    When I see that term, I'm expecting a story involving an AXE doing damage to a house :)

  • philadalphia, PA · Member since 2014 · 28 posts · 2 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Pat L.:
    Originally posted by @Rose Feng:

    Oh, shot! English is my second language. Although I have been trying very hard to write better but it seems still a long way to go. I misspelled a lot in my posts. I am so sorry for annoyed your guys.  and from now on, I will do the spelling check before I send it out .  

    This 'debate' reminds me of a discussion we had with a neighbor in Australia, (many years ago). She was annoyed that her immigrant housekeeper didn't have an adequate comand of the English language (esp when dealing with her children). As she was going to let her go another neighbor offered the housekeeper a job. Apparently, the original employer had no idea that the housekeeper was fluent in several languages which the new employer capitalized on for the education of her own children. 

    I was pleasantly surprised, (when visiting in 2012), to discover that my old high school now teaches 7 languages. In my day it was French or Latin with severe repercussions if you made the slightest mistake.

     Hi Pat, 

    Thank you for sharing the story. Now I have better excuse for my mistakes in English. lol

  • Oakville, Ontario · Member since 2013 · 162 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    Comments like #2 and #3, which may segregate, stigmatize and stop people from participating/posting and networking on this forum. 

    There are several geniuses who can’t spell and if I can’t spell for whatever reason (lack of education, English is my second language, I choose to use slang, I am typing too fast, etc) so what!!! Just ignore me, block me or whatever, but do not make me feel incompetent or "less than....". 

    Even experienced and successful investors misspell words. Are you going to ignore their adviSe or "take it with a grain of salt?"

  • Engineering Consultant, Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2013 · 213 posts · 61 votes
    11y

    I was about to complain about there is not an android app. But after reading many complains about the iOS app, I guess I probably would complain more if there were an android app.

    Anyways, good discussion.

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2014 · 30 posts · 14 votes
    11y

    The Wholesaling Calculator doesn't work most of the time. Entered all the requested information in Step 1 - Great. Moving on the Step 2 - Exciting. Step 3 - Entering the sales price ARV - I'm ready to go! Calculate Flip Results - doesn't work. Calculate Flip Results - still not working. Calculate Flip Results - nothing. Argh!

    That's my only gripe.

  • Investor · Wichita, KS · Member since 2013 · 62 posts · 28 votes
    11y

    My biggest issue is I feel there are too many forum categories. 

  • Investor · Bowling Green, KY · Member since 2014 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    11y

    The most annoying thing is the website. Anytime you get on quickly to check on something you are greeted with the most annoying pop-up that forces you to log in. Stresses me out all the time and I absolutely hate it.

  • Investor · Valdosta, GA · Member since 2015 · 187 posts · 112 votes
    11y

    1). People nitpicking about grammar & spelling. You know what they meant!

    2). People who think, "I didn't/couldn't do it, so it can't be done."

    3). Usually new people, who post questions in the Success Stories forum (or any other out of place forum). It wouldn't be so bad if it were a good question but it's usually something simple like "how do I get started wholesaling?"

    4). Joe Gore

    I'm not an easily annoyed person but those are some things that elicit a heavy sigh or a loud "REALLY?"  Lol

    I don't know how I missed this thread when it was originally posted. BP is the best social site I've EVER joined. As in any part of life, there will be things that rub us the wrong way but BP is actually something like a sanctuary for me.

  • Miami Lakes, FL · Member since 2015 · 133 posts · 83 votes
    11y

    The banner ads annoy me. I totally understand their need if one happens to be a free member, but for those of us paying some $28 a month they need to go. They make the website look cluttered.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    11y

    The incredibly open questions irk me as well.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.