What annoys you about bigger pockets?

What annoys you about bigger pockets?

Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes

So I thought i'd be fun to ask this as sometimes Im reading posts and get annoyed.  Dont get me wrong, I love biggerpockets and If it wasn't for this site, i would not be even close to where I'm at right now with my real estate goals.   But anyhow, here is what annoys me about some of the posts I see on biggerpockets.  

1) When reading an ad on the market place that advertises a zillow or tax appraisal value as a selling point.  Really!?

2) When reading an ad on the marketplace that advertises what the max zillow value was back in 2006 as a selling point.  (Ridiculous!)

3) When turnkey sellers offer their product and dont state the most basic of expenses like maintenance and repairs.  

4) When the same negative nancy posters comment on peoples posts.  You know who you are!  I have certain names I just skip now and dont even bother reading their comments.  I dont have a paid membership so I cant block people.

What annoys you?   

3Reply
93 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
11y

I agree too, your #4 is interesting and you may not even be reading my post!

My issue is with Exception ED, he's the guy that expects comments to his particular case that is broadly defined, he doesn't do any searching of his topic before posting a question that has been answered 100+ times before, he's just exceptional and deserves special attention. Might call him Entitled Ed, as he's entitled to other people's time after they already addressed his concerns, he's just special.

His brother is Lazy Larry, not only does he not put forth any effort to search for answers, he wants to be spoon fed information that is tailored to his opinions, often based on poor practices and information.

Ed's cousin is Fluffing Fred, this guy has the same family traits but is puts out bad information puffing up his strategy, probably beyond what he has actually accomplished and has unethical and illegal aspects. He really wants to be like his brother, Guru George and like him, will defend bad advice as he perceives his business at risk if he doesn't stick to his opinions, regardless of how it may effect others.

Then there is the Predatory Pete clan, investing is some twisted plan to grab any dollar they can without any concern for the ones they deal with or in advancing their position. This bunch tries to justify bad practices while suggesting they are doing those win-win deals. Some know better and don't care, others simply don't know any better and allow their ego to govern.

If there weren't so many of these types, Negative Nancy would be as motivated to call out bad apples or comment on poor advice. Her motivation is to ensure that newbies at least have a clue as to the reality of realty, what is unethical and illegal, what may lead to mistakes, problems and the loss of their money.

Some members are the type that if they see a purse snatcher on the corner grabbing granny's purse they will stop the thief, some don't get involved, some don't care, some want to know how to snatch purses as it seems profitable and pretty easy to do.

I'd say the other issues mentioned above, 1-3 are pretty much due to the lack of knowledge, that, or they are operating on the dark side.

The attitudes of posters are pretty easy to understand on BP, some see RE as a profession, some just want to operate with just enough information to grab a buck. You know who you are....   :)      

See this reply in the discussion

67 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    Hey @Joel A. - I was going to say posts like this one, but I actually like the post and agree with your negatives.  Thanks for the topic!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Joshua D. 

    No problem. I figured it might be a controversial topic.  If it gets out of hand feel free to delete the thread but my intentions are all in good spirit.  This site is awesome!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    Ahh i just thought of another one.  

    - How many times I see people misspell the word "lose".  I constantly see people spell it as "loose".   I mean I get a bunch of people on this site arent accustomed to losing money but at least know how to spell it!  (notice I said "losing" and not "loosing")

  • Agent / Investor · Clearwater, FL · Member since 2014 · 573 posts · 281 votes
    11y

    I will jump in here, trying to keep it as positive as possible. 

    1. Reading posts where people don't have the slightest clue where to start. It seems like people think real estate is the new "get rich without doing any hard work" fad. As we all know real estate CAN make you very successful and help you achieve the goal of financial freedom and independence, but it takes a lot of hard work and a lot of time. "Hi, I am ____, I heard how good real estate can be, so...how do I start?" 

    2. People asking for assistance from the experts or someone who has experienced an issue before, only for people who are newbies and have never invested in real estate responding. "I am a newbie so take this answer with a grain of salt, but........" When I see responses like that I just ignore the entire comment because it usually isn't of much assistance. 

    3. To build on what Joel said, ANY misspellings. Call it a pet peeve, but I don't think any adult should still be confused with their/there, lose/loose, where/were/wear, etc. We all learned the difference in elementary school. People "loose" credibility with me when I see the misspelling. :-) 

    Those are the first ones that come to mind, but I do love this site, have learned quite a bit, and made many fruitful connections on here! 

  • Real Estate Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2014 · 195 posts · 194 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Joel A.:

    Ahh i just thought of another one.  

    - How many times I see people misspell the word "lose".  I constantly see people spell it as "loose".   I mean I get a bunch of people on this site arent accustomed to losing money but at least know how to spell it!  (notice I said "losing" and not "loosing")

     I just misspelled that one yesterday on the super bowl thread!! I read it after I posted and it was too late. I'm going to blame my mistake on seeing lots of others use it incorrectly and now its all kind of flowing together.  Sorry to add to your pain.

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Brandon M. 

    haha, so true my friend. I love newbies and all I mean we were both one at some point but I totally agree with you on 1 and 2.   When I first came onto this site, I spent probably a month just reading over everything I could possible learn before I even posted my first comment.  That should be a requirement.  Read for at least a week or two, then post.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 217 posts · 170 votes
    11y

    Speaking of misspellings, I hate it when people mistake ADVICE and ADVISE. I see it almost every day on here.

    ADVISE is a verb-I am going to ADVISE you not to buy that cash eating property.

    ADVICE is a noun-I am a newbie seeking some ADVICE on my first purchase.

    Thanks for starting this thread! I love the site!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Mark Freeman 

    Haha, no worries Mark.  The pain is not that bad but at least your conscious of what you did.

    "Knowing is half the battle" - G.I. Joe baby!

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Jason C. 

    Completely forgot about that one and yes I see that one all the time.  Super Annoying!!

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    11y

    I agree too, your #4 is interesting and you may not even be reading my post!

    My issue is with Exception ED, he's the guy that expects comments to his particular case that is broadly defined, he doesn't do any searching of his topic before posting a question that has been answered 100+ times before, he's just exceptional and deserves special attention. Might call him Entitled Ed, as he's entitled to other people's time after they already addressed his concerns, he's just special.

    His brother is Lazy Larry, not only does he not put forth any effort to search for answers, he wants to be spoon fed information that is tailored to his opinions, often based on poor practices and information.

    Ed's cousin is Fluffing Fred, this guy has the same family traits but is puts out bad information puffing up his strategy, probably beyond what he has actually accomplished and has unethical and illegal aspects. He really wants to be like his brother, Guru George and like him, will defend bad advice as he perceives his business at risk if he doesn't stick to his opinions, regardless of how it may effect others.

    Then there is the Predatory Pete clan, investing is some twisted plan to grab any dollar they can without any concern for the ones they deal with or in advancing their position. This bunch tries to justify bad practices while suggesting they are doing those win-win deals. Some know better and don't care, others simply don't know any better and allow their ego to govern.

    If there weren't so many of these types, Negative Nancy would be as motivated to call out bad apples or comment on poor advice. Her motivation is to ensure that newbies at least have a clue as to the reality of realty, what is unethical and illegal, what may lead to mistakes, problems and the loss of their money.

    Some members are the type that if they see a purse snatcher on the corner grabbing granny's purse they will stop the thief, some don't get involved, some don't care, some want to know how to snatch purses as it seems profitable and pretty easy to do.

    I'd say the other issues mentioned above, 1-3 are pretty much due to the lack of knowledge, that, or they are operating on the dark side.

    The attitudes of posters are pretty easy to understand on BP, some see RE as a profession, some just want to operate with just enough information to grab a buck. You know who you are....   :)      

  • Real Estate Investor · Clovis, CA · Member since 2014 · 195 posts · 194 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon M.:

    I will jump in here, trying to keep it as positive as possible. 

    1. Reading posts where people don't have the slightest clue where to start. It seems like people think real estate is the new "get rich without doing any hard work" fad. As we all know real estate CAN make you very successful and help you achieve the goal of financial freedom and independence, but it takes a lot of hard work and a lot of time. "Hi, I am ____, I heard how good real estate can be, so...how do I start?" 

    2. People asking for assistance from the experts or someone who has experienced an issue before, only for people who are newbies and have never invested in real estate responding. "I am a newbie so take this answer with a grain of salt, but........" When I see responses like that I just ignore the entire comment because it usually isn't of much assistance. 

    3. To build on what Joel said, ANY misspellings. Call it a pet peeve, but I don't think any adult should still be confused with their/there, lose/loose, where/were/wear, etc. We all learned the difference in elementary school. People "loose" credibility with me when I see the misspelling. :-) 

    Those are the first ones that come to mind, but I do love this site, have learned quite a bit, and made many fruitful connections on here! 

     My dad worked with a guy who didn't graduate high school, but was a real estate genius! I'm guessing he misspelled words and had his flaws, but he could solve problems that others couldn't. He died with a net worth in the 10's of millions and left a legacy to his family! His kids and grand kids have done very well with commercial real estate thanks to him. I would love to sit down with guys like that, even though he was technically uneducated in the school system.

  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    11y

    Wow! @Bill Gulley lengthy post and I would have to agree with you on all.

    What gets me is so called investors giving advice when they do not even own a property or perhaps are accidental landlords with 1-2 homes and now feel they are experts in the field. 

    Love the site.  It has extremely valuable information for those willing to at least put the effort to search their topic. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2013 · 100 posts · 48 votes
    11y

    @Bill Gulley 

    Classic response.  Love it!!  It sounds like the negative nancy you speak of though is more of a Realistic Nick.  Cant confuse the two.   Realistic Nick can at times sound negative but has good intentions.

    Negative nancy on the other hand does not have good intentions, is a glass is half empty person, and sometimes says hurtful words to other posters that provides no value.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Brandon M. 

      I type to fast to bother with grammer.. as long as I get my p;oint  across ....

    this is a nice site and lots of nice people on it an really invaluable information for many

  • Holland, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 8 votes
    11y

    I just had to stop and say that this post caught my eye and the curiosity got the best of me, LOL!  I am new to BP so I can't really judge its good vs bad points but I have read A LOT in the past week just trying to gather as much information as quickly as I can and had to laugh when I saw @Bill Gulley's list. Sums it up pretty well. But, in all fairness, every online forum has the same people. The topics are different but you still have the same "Negative Nancy, Predatory Pete, Lazy Larry," etc. I am just thankful for the doors that BP opens for those of us that are new to REI. I went from feeling unsure and overwhelmed last month, to confident and focused in the past week. I now have a plan and a few names and phone numbers in my book to get me started. BP gave me the tools I needed to go from wondering how to get started to wondering why it took me so long.

  • Miami, FL · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 19 votes
    11y

    Despite the complaints on the spelling and grammatical errors, I will point out that BiggerPockets, by and large, seems to have fewer of these types of errors than many, MANY other sites (blogs, social media, etc). I AM a newbie and although I'm still in the learning phase, BiggerPockets so far has been a bottomless pit of invaluable information! Love the site!!

  • Rental Property Investor · St Paul, MN · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    11y

    I really enjoy Bigger Pockets and don't have much to complain about, but one thing that bothers me is that the @mention doesn't work consistently. @Joshua D. should be the same as just typing, like @Brandon Turner. It's also very had to correct this type of thing on a mobile device, like my tablet. It would be great to be able to intentionally insert a mention like you can a link in the toolbar. Same goes for quoting people. It's not really possible to quote more than one person. I realize these are (probably) just plugins and it's not likely that there is enough value in hiring a developer to fix/customize them.

    All in all, pretty minor...

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    11y

    @Dan B. - They work consistently for colleagues and for people who previously posted in a thread.  It isn't supposed to work otherwise.

  • Chris ClothierBusiness Member
    Rental Property Investor · memphis, TN · Member since 2009 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Brandon M.:

    I will jump in here, trying to keep it as positive as possible. 

    2. People asking for assistance from the experts or someone who has experienced an issue before, only for people who are newbies and have never invested in real estate responding. "I am a newbie so take this answer with a grain of salt, but........" When I see responses like that I just ignore the entire comment because it usually isn't of much assistance. 

     Nothing really annoys me about BiggerPockets.com.  However, when I read Brandon's response, it did remind me that I pick and choose where to spend my time on the site.  I picked this one response because it was close to what I try to avoid.

    I am not a fan on the forums where someone asks for advice from people with experience and then wants to argue with the advice they get.  I can usually go back and forth once or twice to help someone understand, but it can be annoying if someone asks for advice and then argues that your advice is either wrong or they don't like it.  I'm out after a couple of back and forths and on to the next forum.

  • Investor · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 129 posts · 102 votes
    11y

    At the risk of sounding like a grumpy old guy, my pet peeve is all the newbie posts who just say Hi and don't really ask anything of substance.  I have keyword alerts for certain areas and I would say 50-80% of the times I click on the alert, I get a "Hi I am from Los Angeles and I want to become rich through real estate. .."  Usually this is followed by something very generic like "If you have any quick tips for me, send them along" or "Geez, things are expensive here; is it possible to flip houses here"  or something else that they could quickly glean from the BP site if they just searched a little more.  

    For example, I just typed in "Los Angeles" as a search term and ALL SEVEN of the first posts are along this line.  Only one of them asks a substantive question.  I received notifications for each one.  Now I tend to delete or send to junk most of my notifications.

    I am all for making people feel welcome, but am very busy and subscribe to BP to learn things and share my learning.   These newbie posts are more social than substantive and I personally find them a waste of my time.  Not sure what the solution is other than delete my alerts.

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2012 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Very well articulated indeed, could not agree more.  If I could vote 100 times, I would!  (not that you need any more)

    Bill Gulley undefined

    uhhh, that's my most annoying thing about BP!  

  • Rental Property Investor · Beverly Hills, CA · Member since 2014 · 472 posts · 272 votes
    11y

    @Leonard L. You can add a "negative" keyword which will disable notifications for matching keywords that ALSO contain the negative keyword, like "newbie". This should help reduce the number of emails you receive.

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

  • Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    Seems like most of the complaints are not based around the site itself and more random individuals. I could take the time to pick out things I don't like in any crowd; I'd rather focus on the good. I have been a paying member of the site for several months. My ROI has been exponential. The people I have met and keep in touch with are invaluable. Ontop of that there is the monetary value. I came to this site as a "I know nothing teach me" 6 months ago. I now have 2 SFR, have wholesaled 3 homes, a commercial mortgage broker, a portfolio lender, and have multiple other deals in the "pipeline". I would have completed 0% of that without you guys. Keep up the good work.

    I appreciate you all. 

  • Deborah BurianPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 412 votes
    11y

    I'm with @Dan B.  - sometimes the @ works and sometimes it doesn't and sometimes I can't summon the energy to report the problem.  It especially doesn't work on my iPad which makes it really hard to participate like I would prefer to since I am mobile 80% of the time.  All that aside, LOVE LOVE LOVE the site.  Thank you for it.

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    I would like to see a better "search" function. There is a lot of data here to sift through. The only one I would like to see is the ability to search "titles only" for keywords. That would be awesome!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.