Site needs better search engine

13 Replies

it's just too basic. For such a huge resource of information it would really compliment the site to have advanced search functionality, like the ability to filter results based on date, "and/or" keywords, within "titles only" etc. Not sure if any of these exist but from my experience it's been pretty basic. Nor do I know if this is the right forum or if anyone who could make a difference will read this but I didn't find a 'site suggestions' sub forum. So... *fingers crossed*

@Benjamin Cowles - We have an advanced search that allows for better filtering (find it at the top right of your search results), but we don't have all the options you suggest. We'll discuss these, as I agree that we could do better with search -- something that admittedly isn't one of our biggest strengths at the moment.

Originally posted by @Joshua Dorkin :

@Benjamin Cowles - We have an advanced search that allows for better filtering (find it at the top right of your search results), but we don't have all the options you suggest. We'll discuss these, as I agree that we could do better with search -- something that admittedly isn't one of our biggest strengths at the moment.

Great, good to know.

Originally posted by @Jon Holdman :

@Benjamin Cowles you can also use google.  Include "site:www.biggerpockets.com" in your search string to limit your results to just BiggerPockets.

Yeah, thanks. I was aware of that and come to think of it I bookmarked Google's advanced search page a while back so perhaps I can re-bookmark it with bp in the domain section and start my searches from there. It helps to get exactly what you're looking for asap. Thanks Jon. 

to whom it may concern, the above post by @joel owens illustrates another point I've made in another thread the importance of getting the mentioning function fixed as I'm sure @joshua dorkin didn't get the message nor did joel from this here post that they were mentioned thus perpetrating an ongoing inter-networking "failure to communicate". Point already made but just wanted to re-emphasize ;)

There's no failure to communicate here.  I see all mentions made of me -- I just don't respond to them all or I wouldn't get any work done, @Benjamin Cowles .

The only case where mentions won't work as intended is on some Apple mobile devices via browser where we turned them off due to some technical issues.  Our team should have this turned back on in the not too distant future.

Otherwise, we are well aware that our search engine isn't perfect and we are working to improve it along with the rest of the features here on the site. If you would like an alternative, use Google as Jon suggested.

@joshua dorkin really? Then this is a test because although I've manually typed your name after the @ symbol because names no longer pop up below the text box, neither does it highlight in blue as it did before so I've assumed it wasn't working and stopped trying. So if you're getting these Mr @joshua dorkin please respond ... *fingers X'd*

@Benjamin Cowles . The @ mentions are working, but they could be more user-friendly. We're working on that right now. 

If you wish to @ mention someone, you can either type the @ symbol and then their name, or @? and a list will appear below the test box of all people who have commented on the thread. We were having issues with it earlier, but I believe those have all been fixed. I have made a ticket for our developers and our UI/UX team to look at ways to make this feature easier to use.

@mindy jensen as I said nothing is appearing below the text box, typing your name or a question mark, which brings me back to my latest question of whether or not the mention needs to be highlighted in blue to work. So.. did you Mindy get the notification of my non-highlighted manual mention? This could be an issue on my end so I may have to double check all my browsers(mobile/on my phone), but the case has been for the past few months that this isn't working on any of my many browsers on my Android phone. But if you got the notification, and @joshua dorkin also, then that would confirm that manually typing a mention works, which would be good enough. So either of you let me know. We'll see...

@Benjamin Cowles  There aren't a lot of Mindy's in the world, so I have my name as a keyword alert. I didn't get the @mention alert - it does have to be highlighted in blue to work.

You mentioned that you are using a mobile device? Do you have a computer you can try this out on? The iOS had some issues, and the functionality was turned off. That may be the issue.

Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen :

@Benjamin Cowles There aren't a lot of Mindy's in the world, so I have my name as a keyword alert. I didn't get the @mention alert - it does have to be highlighted in blue to work.

You mentioned that you are using a mobile device? Do you have a computer you can try this out on? The iOS had some issues, and the functionality was turned off. That may be the issue.

Hmm, bummer.  I'm using android and yes it works on my computer but I don't use it.  Doesn't look like anyone is working on getting it fixed for Android. I've already communicated with your guys through "contact us" link on this. I'll just continue quoting people to get their attention, which works for one person per one post at a time. Can be tedious but it works. Thanks anyway. 

Mindy, I just wanted to mention I just tried with the app also and it doesn't work there either, in case it would make a difference. Idk, maybe it's something with just my phone or I'm the only one who uses your site on Android primarily. Although tbh I do often see others attempting to mention people using the @ but also not having it highlighted. I guess people aren't that concerned. I think it's really useful myself and would love it if it worked. Okay...

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you