• Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Votes |
Moderators & Self-Promotion Rule Ambiguity

Account Closed
  • Lender
  • Charlotte, NC
Posted Dec 2 2016, 14:13

There seems to be a lot of ambiguity surrounding the self-promotion rule and when it justifies the removal of a post. Some clarification by moderators would be greatly appreciated.

E.g. I recently had a post removed looking to network with local fix and flip investors simply due to the mention of my current capacity as a private money lender (without any promotion whatsoever) merely because the post "may arise in deal making". If a similar standard were applied throughout the forum, you can imagine the number of posts that would be flagged.

In a similar situation, I had a post-reply flagged because I included the phrase "I lend in XYZ area" merely as a justification to my own credibility, and not as a promotion.

It's painful to have a post or reply with good content that's voted on flagged due to the inclusion of only a small phrase that may contradict forum guidelines, and I believe an alert to edit the post-reply before it's removed (or at least to provide the author the post's original content) would be a huge addition to the forums. 

It seems like the majority of the time post removal is merely open to the interpretation of the individual moderator (with regards to the self-promotion rule) vs any well-defined guideline or rule of thumb.

Thanks

Loading replies...