Survey: Short Term Rental Income to Help You Qualify For a Loan?

40 Replies

Hey there, BiggerPocketeers!

I'm looking for feedback about the ability to use short term rental income to help qualify for a mortgage. Would you be interested in taking this short survey ?

Is this an official biggerpockets account?

Yes it is! @Stephanie Irto

This feedback may be really helpful in helping a new product form around mortgages. Can't say more right now, but this could be really cool! The more responses, the better. 

Interesting concept, something I am definitely interested in. 

Survey completed!

Cool survey! I just finished. 

Ok, done.

This post has been removed.

Curious why the focus is only on short-term rental income for help qualifying for a loan. Why not long-term rental income, too? 

Completed the survey for you.

Survey completed. Looking forward to hearing more. 

Yes! Definitely interested in taking the survey. My lender is discussing doing this exact thing to help me qualify for my first multi-family property.

Done.

I'm interested in seeing what's coming down the pipeline.

what is considered a short term? I have a owned property with many of the same Tenants for last 10 years. if I transfer property into a LLC would I need to start over with short term income if I refinanced paid off property?

Survey complete!

Love this idea about getting creative to obtain better financing or have more buying power.

Completed!

I admit the survey wasn’t what I thought it would be - I’m currently trying to buy a house that I WON’T live in to use as a short term rental investment property. I would love a loan product designed for those types of investments.

What’s proposed in the survey is definitely interesting and I think there’s a market for it, but it doesn’t fulfill the needs I️ have for a mortgage that considers STR income.

Completed survey:)

I own short term rentas, done.

Done. 

The idea of a bank which generally has more flexibility with regards to what it counts as income against someone's debt/income ratio would do very well here. I did my first deal six months ago and am hesitant to do another one anytime soon for this reason.

Survey was not what I thought... Especially the part about bringing a stranger into my primary residence to help qualify for a mortgage. I already own a cash flow positive vacation rental. Now if the survey asked questions that applied to the vacation rental market like, if you wanted to purchase a cash flow positive vacation rental, would you be interested in a product that used the average of the prior three years verified annual rental income on that property to qualify for the loan, then I would be extremely enthusiastic towards learning about that.

The survey was great! Definitely hope to be able to use short term rental income on my refi apps one day! Keep us posted!

Done - I currently house hack, and I'd love to find a lender that's more flexible in recognizing income from various sources. 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here