Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
I did a quick check and there have recently been over 500 people (within the last day) people on BP. Most topics have 5-15 main players comment back and forth and a variety of lurkers that just view things.
How can we get more people engaged in conversation on topics? I never have understood people just lurking and not participating. What are the main reasons this happens and more people aren't involved?
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
16y
What most people, unfortunately, don't realize, is that by participating in the discussion, you are raising your own profile and increasing the chances that others will want to network and do business with you!
Those members who are most active are also the same members getting the most out of the site.
By engaging in the various discussions, people get to see you, know you, and trust you (most of the time).
I always laugh when people ask us to close their profile because they "didn't get anything out of the site." Typically, they just created a profile and read some threads, but never ENGAGED with the other members on the forums, blogs, buttletins, etc. That's exactly why they didn't get anything out of the site. No one knew who they were and as a result, had little reason to connect.
Bottom line, if you're participating by joining the various discussions about real estate, the economy, strategies,and even the off topic discussions, you're increasing the likelyhood that others are going to want to do business with you. You don't have to have all the answers, just some quality feedback, insight, or opinions.
Along with that, of course, having a complete profile and a personal photo for your avatar go a LONG way!
I'll wrap my post up with a quote from an email I got this morning. This was from a member who is a regular blogger here:
"I have noticed something that has been huge for me and I would like to share it with others. While BiggerPockets is not bringing the most hits to my site, the hits are the targeted ones that I want. They are actual investors asking about deals, partnering, advice, wanting to help each other, etc. I've had about 5 potential investor partners contact me in the last month alone and when I ask how they find me all but one which was a referral said BiggerPockets. It is the quality of the hits not the quantity and my main message would be that BiggerPockets is the most highly concentrated site to network, partner and learn Real Estate Investing."
Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
16y
It may be one of the shortcomings of having an open forum. I come here to find out information and strategies about real estate. I find what I need and move on.
Also, I am willing to share info I have when someone else needs it.
I do not come to BP to debate taxes, government, policy, morality, or who is right and who is wrong. There are other venues that are better for those discussions.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Bryan, I think there are several reasons this happens. Some may not feel competent to give an answer. Sometimes the topic is of little interest to the viewer. Sometimes I suspect that people don't realize that their experiences on a matter might benefit others. I think sometimes people are afraid of ridicule as well.
Like you, I believe that the whole community benefits from more responses. With such a vast audience there obviously has been a wide variety of experiences, knowledge and interest.
Real Estate Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2010 · 18 posts · 27 votes
16y
Charles is right. The level of experience and knowledge that the core group of posters has is far and away above that of the average reader. I'm not intimidated as much as the fact that I know others can answer questions much better than I.
Trust me though - don't mistake silence for disinterest. I'm on these boards almost every day reading and following along on discussions. Judging by the forum viewer numbers, it seems I'm not alone.
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
16y
What most people, unfortunately, don't realize, is that by participating in the discussion, you are raising your own profile and increasing the chances that others will want to network and do business with you!
Those members who are most active are also the same members getting the most out of the site.
By engaging in the various discussions, people get to see you, know you, and trust you (most of the time).
I always laugh when people ask us to close their profile because they "didn't get anything out of the site." Typically, they just created a profile and read some threads, but never ENGAGED with the other members on the forums, blogs, buttletins, etc. That's exactly why they didn't get anything out of the site. No one knew who they were and as a result, had little reason to connect.
Bottom line, if you're participating by joining the various discussions about real estate, the economy, strategies,and even the off topic discussions, you're increasing the likelyhood that others are going to want to do business with you. You don't have to have all the answers, just some quality feedback, insight, or opinions.
Along with that, of course, having a complete profile and a personal photo for your avatar go a LONG way!
I'll wrap my post up with a quote from an email I got this morning. This was from a member who is a regular blogger here:
"I have noticed something that has been huge for me and I would like to share it with others. While BiggerPockets is not bringing the most hits to my site, the hits are the targeted ones that I want. They are actual investors asking about deals, partnering, advice, wanting to help each other, etc. I've had about 5 potential investor partners contact me in the last month alone and when I ask how they find me all but one which was a referral said BiggerPockets. It is the quality of the hits not the quantity and my main message would be that BiggerPockets is the most highly concentrated site to network, partner and learn Real Estate Investing."
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
16y
Let me add one last thing . . . if you take the time to read a discussion/blog post/etc, adding your $0.02 is only going to take a short amount of time more than you've already spent. As I already said, doing so is well worth that extra effort.
If you don't want to believe me, ask any social media expert and they will tell you the same thing.
Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
16y
My propblem is my poor english, I cannot follow longer topics/posts ^^ so I read the first post and not more. Likewise I cannot answer on these topics.
I must learn :).
Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
16y
I think you do a pretty good job Uwe. Your sentence structure and grammar is certainly better than some of the posters on here that respond to everything ;-)
You do an order of magnitude better job than I would do in your language too!
Real Estate Investor · Portland, OR · Member since 2009 · 660 posts · 244 votes
16y
I think many worry about how they will be perceived ... don't want to look bad, unwise, silly, etc. I think others its a time-thing ... want to read all posts since last viewing and taking time to write may prevent them from getting their full daily dose of BP.
Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Uwe S.:
My propblem is my poor english, I cannot follow longer topics/posts ^^ so I read the first post and not more. Likewise I cannot answer on these topics.
I must learn :).
-Uwe
I agree with Bryan, you're obviously better at my native language than I ever would be at yours. I enjoy having you around and when I make it across the pond, I plan on meeting up for a tall one, even though I don't drink, I know how you guys are.
Homeowner · Burleson, TX · Member since 2008 · 756 posts · 376 votes
16y
Sorry Josh, we're all different. Some people really enjoy a spirited debate concerning off topic stuff. Not me. It really is a distractor for me, just background noise. To each his own. I was just sharing why I don't get involved in more discussions.
I like the real estate stuff. I have met some great people from BP in person. I am in the early stages of working on a deal with another BP member. Not sure if he does the off topic stuff or not, that's not a criteria for me.
Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Maybe it is normal for this to happen. In classrooms, a few students dominate the discussions. In forums, it is the same thing except there are no teachers to call on the quiet people to voice their opinions.
Statistically, this is not dissimilar to the non-normal distributions that we see everywhere - income distributions, for example.
Investor · Southlake, TX · Member since 2009 · 950 posts · 338 votes
16y
Good thoughts by everyone. I'm new to social networking sites. I originally joined this site to learn single family/mobile home investing. My comfort zone lies in larger commercial development and management. Unfortunately that's my day job and am limited to any profit sharing. So, I decided to personally invest in real estate at a level I can afford.
I don't consider myself an expert at most of the topics posted, but do try to ask the "dumb questions". I see my role here mostly to learn, and hopefully, help other readers like me. There are many posters who have tremendous experience and are willing to not only share, but be open and honest. That is the true treasure on this site. I try to give back by posting bulletins, voting and commenting on posts and blogs. Just because some of us are not experts doesn't mean we can't participate. So I encourage all those who don't feel like they are getting much out of it, to just jump on in...the water's fine!
SFR Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
How can we get more people engaged in conversation on topics?
Have BP offer a free beer for every post! :mrgreen:
:beer: :beer: :beer: :beer:
No, seriously, it all comes down to whether or not the individual feels they have something to offer. I read far more threads than I comment on. I guess that means what I don't know largely outweighs what I do. :goofy: And I rarely begin any threads asking a question because a quick search usually reveals the answer I seek. Think of it as a Broadway play. There are many more people in the audience than on stage, but everyone is having a good time! And that's what counts. :joker:
Real Estate Investor · Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2010 · 681 posts · 241 votes
16y
I agree with Vikram. Some people are talkers and others like to listen....exactly like a classroom. The great news to me is that over 500 people have been on BP over the last day! I think that says alot about this site.
Real Estate Investor · Portage, MI · Member since 2010 · 470 posts · 315 votes
16y
I agree with Mitch. I read more than I post, because if I can't add value to the discussion, I don't want to waste anybody's time repeating what others have said. There is an awful lot of good info that gets posted and by the time I get there, all that I can add has been said!
For those of you that are reading this and not posting......maybe a question to a post would be a great alternative to adding your 2 cents. Get involved....It's fun! I do it when I need a break as well as for the info. Speaking of fun....I gotta go and snuggle on the couch with Jackie and watch a movie! See you later BP!!
Bill
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
IMO most of us have far more that we can share than is realized. It is hard to be a professional and not know something about your profession over time. It's not important to use the best English. I certainly make my share of mistakes, but hope that I generally get my thought across.
On the same token it is also difficult to work at something and not build experiences over time. Some of these experiences can be far more helpful than an individual realizes. Some new getting started may have no idea how hard it was originally finding the first buyer for a wholesale deal. You may discover ways of negotiating that work better than others.
Perhaps someone posts a topic and your experience has been totally different. It doesn't matter if that individual has been around a long time. Perhaps by sharing the difference of opinion you and others learn something new.
I wish that this place was around when I first started investing. There are some mistakes I probably wouldn't have made. Quite likely I might have made other mistakes instead. Mistakes are not always bad, they can be great learning tools.
All in all, I believe many have far more that they can share than they realize.
Investor · El Centro, CA · Member since 2010 · 44 posts · 34 votes
16y
Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
I read more than I post, because if I can't add value to the discussion, I don't want to waste anybody's time repeating what others have said. There is an awful lot of good info that gets posted
Exactly!
With experience comes confidence and usually that's the people who reply. A lot of us are still in the "learning stage" so might not feel we have much to offer.
Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Rian Bennett:
Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
I read more than I post, because if I can't add value to the discussion, I don't want to waste anybody's time repeating what others have said. There is an awful lot of good info that gets posted
Exactly!
With experience comes confidence and usually that's the people who reply. A lot of us are still in the "learning stage" so might not feel we have much to offer.
At the very least, you have your own current experiences that can be shared with others just starting out. Perhaps it might be easier to create new threads regarding your current experiences, challenges, successes, etc. This gives a chance for other new investors to learn. It also can be a way to solicit advice or spark a suggestion from other investors new and experienced.
We can all learn from each other regardless of where we are at in the investing world. I learn something new everyday.
Investor · El Centro, CA · Member since 2010 · 44 posts · 34 votes
16y
Originally posted by Charles Perkins:
Originally posted by Rian Bennett:
Originally posted by Bill Patterson:
I read more than I post, because if I can't add value to the discussion, I don't want to waste anybody's time repeating what others have said. There is an awful lot of good info that gets posted
Exactly!
With experience comes confidence and usually that's the people who reply. A lot of us are still in the "learning stage" so might not feel we have much to offer.
At the very least, you have your own current experiences that can be shared with others just starting out. Perhaps it might be easier to create new threads regarding your current experiences, challenges, successes, etc. This gives a chance for other new investors to learn. It also can be a way to solicit advice or spark a suggestion from other investors new and experienced.
We can all learn from each other regardless of where we are at in the investing world. I learn something new everyday.
Those are some good points and suggestions Charles. Will take into consideration in the future.
Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2008 · 47 posts · 22 votes
16y
Originally posted by Bill Patterson
I read more than I post, because if I can't add value to the discussion, I don't want to waste anybody's time repeating what others have said. There is an awful lot of good info that gets posted
I find a lot of value in having folks give their thumbs up/down on topics that they have experience with. Just a quick "that's being my experience too" or "I too have used this company's service and agree that they are great". For me, it adds weight to the answer that is being formulated in the post. I hope that makes sense.
Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
16y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
I think you do a pretty good job Uwe. Your sentence structure and grammar is certainly better than some of the posters on here that respond to everything ;-)
You do an order of magnitude better job than I would do in your language too!
Originally posted by motiv8td:
I agree with Bryan, you're obviously better at my native language than I ever would be at yours. I enjoy having you around and when I make it across the pond, I plan on meeting up for a tall one, even though I don't drink, I know how you guys are.
Really? I thought my english is bad. And please don´t compares your german with my english^^, english is global language, german not ;).
Attorney · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
16y
Originally posted by Bryan Hancock:
I did a quick check and there have recently been over 500 people (within the last day) people on BP. Most topics have 5-15 main players comment back and forth and a variety of lurkers that just view things.
How can we get more people engaged in conversation on topics? I never have understood people just lurking and not participating. What are the main reasons this happens and more people aren't involved?
I can only speak for myself. I haven't been as active lately because it's pretty much seasonal. This is the time of year I work the hardest and make the most money. I'll be back to my usual shenanigans come November.
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
16y
Hi, very interesting! I'd like to hear from some more people, especially from the lurkers! Maybe something more constructive will come of it than Bryan originally thought!