J Scott - Author of Flipping/Estimating Book - Ask Me Anything!

320 Replies

Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios :

If you get scarred half to death and then get scarred half to death again, do you die? 

Did I miss something???

Originally posted by @J Scott :
Originally posted by @Andrew Syrios:

If you get scarred half to death and then get scarred half to death again, do you die? 

Did I miss something???

An extremely stupid joke perhaps.

Originally posted by @J Scott:

Did I miss something???

I feel like you're just 1/4 alive at that point. Now, I don't know how long you can do that until all your 9 lives are gone. 

Did I miss something???

Oh, you were asking me a question... Now I understand.  I thought you were making a reference to something else and I couldn't figure out what!

Good question...

I consulted a doctor friend and he said that most people round up when estimating percentage death from sacredness.  We say "scared half to death" when in actuality, it's normally probably only scared 20-30% to death. 

So, on average, you have to be scared half to death about four to five times before you actually die.  

@J Scott I loved your breakdown of the economic side of real estate in your latest trip to the BP podcast. You really peaked my interest in the ups and down of the market. Is there any literature that you recommend on the subject?

@J Scott Great podcasts my man! Really enjoyed them! My wife and I are looking into our 1st multifamily property this year. We currently have 2 properties that we have mortgages on. We rent out one and live in the other. We live near Los Angeles County and are considering a local/out-of-state purchase. After reading the above about buying and hold markets (Population Growth; Income/Wage Growth; Job Growth). What suggestions do you have do you have for locating a suitable area? With your experience, where should I start the research for this investment?

Originally posted by @Mouhamad Rahal :

@J Scott I loved your breakdown of the economic side of real estate in your latest trip to the BP podcast. You really peaked my interest in the ups and down of the market. Is there any literature that you recommend on the subject?

Hey Mouhamad,

BP will be releasing something in the next month that I created...stay tuned!

Originally posted by @Orlando Perez :

@J Scott Great podcasts my man! Really enjoyed them! My wife and I are looking into our 1st multifamily property this year. We currently have 2 properties that we have mortgages on. We rent out one and live in the other. We live near Los Angeles County and are considering a local/out-of-state purchase. After reading the above about buying and hold markets (Population Growth; Income/Wage Growth; Job Growth). What suggestions do you have do you have for locating a suitable area? With your experience, where should I start the research for this investment?

Hey Orlando,

I always recommend starting where you know, where you know people, and where you can easily get to...  

What places have you lived?  Where do you have family?  Where do you have friends?  Where have you visited that you like?  Where would you like to visit?  What's an easy commute from where you are by plane, train or car?

These are the places you should start looking, as they will all provide you some benefit.  Whether that benefit is that you know the area already, or you have someone on the ground that can help you, or it's relatively easy to get to, having some advantage going in will be important when you're ready to start investing.

So, make a list of these places, and see if any of them work.  If not, then we can talk about Plan B...

Originally posted by @Julia Fair :

Did I miss something???

I feel like you're just 1/4 alive at that point. Now, I don't know how long you can do that until all your 9 lives are gone. 

All nine? I'm not a cat unfortunately... Hahaha!

Originally posted by @J Scott :

Did I miss something???

Oh, you were asking me a question... Now I understand.  I thought you were making a reference to something else and I couldn't figure out what!

Good question...

I consulted a doctor friend and he said that most people round up when estimating percentage death from sacredness.  We say "scared half to death" when in actuality, it's normally probably only scared 20-30% to death. 

So, on average, you have to be scared half to death about four to five times before you actually die.  

Now this is the type of lucid analysis I've come to expect!

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you