First Deal Flopped...Now What?

First Deal Flopped...Now What?

Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes

Have invested time in Bigger Pockets for a year: reading, podcasts, analyzing, drive-arounds, learning, learning, learning. Thought my first deal was done, only to have it fall apart in the eleventh hour.

So many of you pros talk about hard times...but man, it is tough!  And difficult to face up to my rookie mistakes that broke this deal.

I'm not asking for sympathy...but do want advice that will get my face out of this bag of chocolate and put my boots back on the ground so I can find my lost grit.

52Reply
259 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2013 · 658 posts · 315 votes
7y

 You can only learn so much reading and now you are learning while taking action.  That's real progress.  

You learned a whole bunch making rookie mistakes and it didn't cost an arm and a leg.  Sometime those rookie mistakes are measured in 10's of 1000's of dollars. 

Accept rejection and keep making offers that will work for you.  

See this reply in the discussion

170 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Visalia-Fresno, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 863 votes
    7y

    @Renee Yarbrough

    Fill up your pipeline and you will feel better

  • Contractor · Oklahoma, OK · Member since 2019 · 67 posts · 8 votes
    7y

    @Renee Yarbrough what rookie mistake did you make?

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Josh Evans

    Thanks for the encouragement, Josh! I see you are in Montgomery. I'm planning to look in Birmingham, where my son lives. Do you have any experience of the market there?

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Franklin Romine

    What does it mean to 'fill up your pipeline?" Sorry to be ignorant, but I've not heard that phrase before.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Brett Mason

    I didn't thoroughly qualify my lending amount.

    The seller was required to fix several high-ticket items in the house, and vendors were promised (by me and the seller) to be paid at close.

    Closing was pushed out several times due to my continued efforts to 'make it work.'

    In the end, we didn't close because of my DTI, and the process was strung out almost 2 months. Meanwhile, the seller was required to fix appraisal/inspector items and couldn't pay the vendors.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Jay Weathersby

    Well, your post is encouraging...not because you lost out on three deals, but that you are back at it again. Kudos to you!

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Renee Yarbrough:

    @Josh Evans

    Thanks for the encouragement, Josh! I see you are in Montgomery. I'm planning to look in Birmingham, where my son lives. Do you have any experience of the market there?

     Renee I think you'll be pretty interested in reading The Ultimate Guide to Grading Birmingham Alabama Neighborhoods. Should really help you get a feel for the market down there.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Alan Grobmeier

    I can't tell if you are serious or trying to be funny!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Matthew Lukas

    I'm sorry you feel lost. As a newbie, I am completely surprised at the amount of encouragement and support given when I asked. Maybe you could start a new thread with details about your obstacles? People seem really willing to help on BP.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @James Wise Thank you for the resource regarding Birmingham, AL neighborhoods. Excellent work! And I'm planning to listen to your podcast on BP.

  • Developer · Vancouver, WA · Member since 2018 · 21 posts · 7 votes
    7y

    @Renee Yarbrough

    Bet you learned a lot on this deal and what not to do next time. Treat it like a game - you’ll find another deal and make different mistakes, you’ll develop a feel and your game will improve. Best way to learn is to just do.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Ned J. Lots of valuable lessons in this process, but making sure the financing is solid is right at the top of the list. Thank you for taking the time to respond. The posts on this thread are so informative!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Michael Ealy 

    "The more headaches and problems you solve or the more value you provide, the more money you deserve."

    I'm putting this in a prominent place, where I can read it every day. People who solve problems are keepers, for sure!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @England Ibalio

    "Learn from it and start executing good habits." You can't go wrong with that advice! Thank you so much. 

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Dan Haizlip

    Thank you for seeing the parts of this deal that are really making me sad...how my actions impacted others. That's at the heart of it, for sure!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Dean Letfus

    LOVE these:

    "You either win or you learn"

    "Success is inevitable unless you quit beforehand"

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Bryan Lyde

    I really like what you say about building a team, but I'm unsure how to connect with an experienced partner until I have more to offer...which translates to me as more experience.

    Do you think differently?

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Cody L.

    Oh...MAN! Your situation is way more intense than mine. I so hope your deal goes through. Your words have jerked me up to be a grown-up in this industry.

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Alpesh Parmar

    I subscribed to your newsletter...thanks for the advice!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Shawn Gwaltney

    I'm beginning to see that the growth along the way is a benefit often overlooked. I like the person I've become through this, and have also discovered a challenging industry that I love!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Martin Neal

    Great words, Martin! "Everything in life is a learning opportunity."

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Lawrence Morello

    Yes, I did get my feet wet...and am on to the next!

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @David London

    There was a real estate agent involved, and I thought the pre-approval process was finished. My fault that all the gaps weren't closed.

    The vendors will be paid when the house closes with the next seller, but I hate they have to wait that long for payment.

    Question: what is a buyer agent?

  • Investor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2019 · 137 posts · 122 votes
    7y

    @Debbie Bone

    Great advice, Debbie. Thanks for commenting. Best thing about this this go-round? I like the person I became.

  • Montgomery, AL · Member since 2019 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    @Renee Yarbrough no I have yet to a deal, but I'm working on it. First I'll start in the Montgomery area. Once I have a few deals under my belt I would like to venture out into Birmingham & Atlanta.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.