BiggerPockets Forum Keyword Alerts: Top 20 List

BiggerPockets Forum Keyword Alerts: Top 20 List

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

Ok Gang -
I wanted to make sure we had enough data before announcing the top keywords that members of BiggerPockets subscribe to, and now that we do, you've got your list . . .

For those who aren't aware, we set up a system where members can subscribe to keywords on the forums and get alerted when they come up in threads. This is great for both learning and marketing. For more on the system, and for reasons why you should set up your alerts today, check out this tutorial.

Otherwise, set up your keywords here - http://www.biggerpockets.com/alerts

Top 20 BiggerPockets Forum Alert Keywords

wholesaling
wholesale
texas
hard money
austin
private money
dallas
multifamily
direct mail
flipping
colorado
houston
phoenix
new jersey
probate
arizona
utah
private lending
massachusetts
new york

What is interesting to me is that geographic locations are the majority of the top terms, meaning many people are finding value in localized networking as a result of the system.

If you haven't yet set up alerts, you're likely missing out on important learning and networking opportunities. What are you waiting for? Set up your alerts now!

6Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 174 posts · 39 votes
13y

Not counting meeting members of a similar interest, "Key words" is the best help by far!

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    13y

    Interesting to see. I'm sure it will change significantly as more people start using the system. I love the alerts!

  • Licensed Real Estate Broker & Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 521 posts · 104 votes
    13y

    As a subscriber to the term "Houston" I can vouch for the effectiveness of these alerts in pointing me in the direction of content relevant to me and my business.

    Thank you, Josh and BP!

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Hello.... southern California? Orange County? I know there are a lot of us on here.

  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 174 posts · 39 votes
    13y

    Not counting meeting members of a similar interest, "Key words" is the best help by far!

  • Real Estate Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2012 · 50 posts · 5 votes
    13y

    Thanks Joshua Dorkin for sharing. I have found this feature very useful and I'm liking the results I see from the "Austin" keyword that I've set up. It's also interesting that it is the first city that shows up on the list.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · St. George, UT · Member since 2010 · 212 posts · 114 votes
    13y

    Just set up "key words" last week and "utah" came up for this thread... direct email to me.... seems to be a great way to connect!!

    Thanks much!!!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks for the feedback everyone . . . I didn't actually think about it when I posted the thread, but everyone with these top 20 alerts likely got my email -- whoops. Sorry everyone. I should have posted the keywords as an image instead.

    Karen M. - Let your OC colleagues know to get their act together . . . ;)

  • Contractor · Brick, NJ · Member since 2011 · 86 posts · 12 votes
    13y

    well it just proves the system works and everyone enjoys it!!

  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    13y

    i have pretty much grown up on forums(Cars/Racing), the effectiveness of the keyword alert system is awesome, never used anything like it before.

  • Investor · Plano, TX · Member since 2011 · 84 posts · 45 votes
    13y

    Great way to see what's trending.

    It would be even better if there was a page that would dynamically update over time - every hour, or once a day, or once a week, or etc. to see the trend over time and subscriber count to each keyword.

    10 years from now it would be interesting to see if the keywords change over time and any inferences made from it.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y

    Joshua Dorkin I'm obsessed with BP as everyone probably knows :) But, the keyword alert is a great addition. For you OC members.. are you using the Keyword Alert?

    Stephen Masek, @Jake Kuchek Sunny Gardner Yee Liau

  • Seth WilliamsPro Member
    Specialist · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2012 · 582 posts · 353 votes
    13y

    This is a great feature Josh. Thanks for pointing it out.

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Pensacola, FL · Member since 2012 · 221 posts · 49 votes
    13y

    I love keyword alert! I added "direct mail" and "probate" after seeing the list.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Sam Craven - We strive to raise the bar . . . that's what makes BiggerPockets exceptional!

    Seth Williams - Thanks. I'm glad you're all set up now.

    Sandy Blanton - I've added and removed different terms over the past 2 months according to my interest for the moment. I'm a huge fan of the system for my own use as well. Thanks for your comment.

  • Hard Money Lender · Davidson, NC · Member since 2012 · 69 posts · 34 votes
    13y

    Key words has revolutionized Bigger Pockets for me personally. Want to be actively engaged with the forums and this has made it possible. Keep the innovations coming!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Thanks Bill Worsley!

    I hope everyone who has found this to be a valuable tool will help us to spread the word to their partners, friends, colleagues and clients. Every new user of the system (and site) helps us build a stronger community.

  • Investor · Tucson, AZ · Member since 2013 · 116 posts · 22 votes
    13y

    Funny that "probate" is so high on the list, I suppose that's a good place to find "wholesale" deals? ("Arizona" here.)

  • Investor · LOS ANGELES, California (CA) · Member since 2010 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    13y

    Joshua Dorkin I think it's perfect that you listed the terms as text. I often don't have the time to peruse the forums, but I usually get enough content simply from my keywords. keep it up!

  • Involved In Real Estate · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2012 · 158 posts · 11 votes
    13y

    I just set it up!

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    13y
    Originally posted by Anthony Y.:
    Great way to see what's trending.

    It would be even better if there was a page that would dynamically update over time - every hour, or once a day, or once a week, or etc. to see the trend over time and subscriber count to each keyword.

    10 years from now it would be interesting to see if the keywords change over time and any inferences made from it.

    I second Anthony's idea.

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes
    13y

    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin

    ---------------

    I am so proud of my fellow Texans for getting all over the keyword alerts early. :) j/k
    It's fascinating to see this list.

    Thank you, Joshua Dorkin!

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    13y

    Joshua Dorkin - The system works great. Interestingly one of my keywords is 'Newark' as I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about the area and wanted to make sure I chimed in when someone posted about it.

    Sure enough someone posted an alleged 'deal' in my city where the stated numbers sounded extremely fishy. So I posted some sincere questions which the Original Poster refused to answer (he came back on the thread to answer someone else inquiry about the deal but avoided mine). I like to think I helped unsuspecting newbies (one did inbox me behind the scenes thanking me for my questions) as well as out of state veterans avoid making a bad investment.

    Again, great work with the keyword system. I believe it also forces people who make erroneous statements and claims about an area back them up when confronted by those sincerely in the know.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    13y

    Ibrahim S - Please PM me the thread when you have a sec. I'd like to take a look. The last thing we want here are people posting fishy stuff. One of the best parts of this site is having members who look out for one another -- in fact just today I got into a discussion with someone who was scrutinized for his vague posts and who couldn't understand why people were being so tough. It was because they were trying to protect others. That's invaluable!

    I'm glad you like the system and really appreciate you being there for others!

    That said, only a tiny percentage of our users have alerts set up. To those members who haven't yet jumped on it, now's a great time!

  • Robert AdamsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Henderson, NV · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 373 votes
    13y

    Good thread Joshua Dorkin. I just updated mine after reading. Another interesting thread would be people posting the 20 keywords they use. May help others generate or modify their own lists when seeing others.

    The Adams Team at Rothwell Gornt Companies4.971 Reviews
  • Investor · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 111 votes
    12y

    Hey @Joshua Dorkin, would it be hard to see an updated list?

    I am always curious about peoples interests, and how they shift.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.