100 pad Eco Friendly Mod Home Development in Austin! 2016

100 pad Eco Friendly Mod Home Development in Austin! 2016

Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 2 votes

We are involved in several Developments one is Modular Homes 100 pads+ Eco Friendly. 22 acres-Austin TX! First of its Kind in Austin.

and another High End Stick Build -w/Post and Beam Homes 70 large lots , with infrastructure in and land free and clear. also have 3 homes Dried in and Ready to finish.

And looking to network with Lenders and other Texas Professionals during the development of the Park. 

Lets talk soon.

Gordon  

1Reply
129 views

Most Popular Reply

Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
10y

@Leonard Maddox, If he's selling the homes individually as a "RESIDENT OWNED" land and home package he's very wise to go with MOD over HUD any day for a number of reasons.

Albeit rather lengthy and comprehensive I think you may find this information useful if you really do want a thorough understanding of the difference between the two.

The Difference Between A "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"

and A "MODULAR HOME"

Part 4

For those who may have missed Parts 1-3 please take a

few moments to review should you have any interest in

"FACTORY BUILT HOUSING".

In Part 1 we discussed the

difference between an

"RV", "Park Model" and a "

HUD Manufactured Home".

Part 2 we discussed the difference

between

a "TRAVEL TRAILER" and a

"MOBILEHOME"

In Part 3 w discussed the difference between a Pre HUD "MOBILEHOME" and a HUD "MANUFACTURED HOME".

Now for the 4th Part in this series.

This is a "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"

This is a "MODULAR HOME"

No, your eyes are not deceiving you. What you see in these two photos is exactly what you could see on a private lot or parcel in Anywhere, USA. Contrary to popular belief both a HUD Manufactured and Modular Home could very well go down the same assembly line in any factory and often times do.

  • Both are available in one and two story floor plans although MODULAR structures can be multiple stories
  • Both are available in myriad multiple sections and come in a variety of shape and sizes.
  • Both have virtually the same choices of architectural detail i.e. curvalinear, pop outs, roof line options, T, L and even U shapes can be designed to meet just about any design challenge found in "SITE BUILT" homes.
  • Both can have garages albeit HUD MANUFACTURED HOMES do require an alteration permit if the garage is to be attached. Or you can give it the appearance of being attached by unitizing it with flashing, siding and trim details.
  • Both are available with the same array of flooring, wall & window covering, counter top, appliance and fixture choices throughout.
  • Both can be prepped for tile, shake, composite, or any of the same roofing choices that site built homes use.
  • Both can be sided with anything the designer chooses including stucco albeit the sections are shipped stucco ready and the stucco is applied on site.
  • Both are available with drywall interiors.
  • You can also design and build a hybrid super structure over a HUD MANUFACTURED HOME and conjoin two floors with an enclosed stairwell
  • and then unitize the two so they look like one dwelling

So now that you know what can be done with either a HUD MANUFACTURED or a MODULAR HOME. Here's the legal definition of both a HUD MANUFACTURED HOME and a MULTIFAMILY MANUFACTURED HOME:

California Department of

Housing and Community Development Study Guide for Obtaining a Dealer or Salesperson License

What is a Manufactured Home?

“Manufactured Homes” are single-family dwellings manufactured in a factory to preemptive federal construction standards. Available designs range from low priced single section homes known as “singlewides,” to upscale homes manufactured in several sections, and even multi-story homes. Shown at the right is a model designed for placement on a foundation with the garage constructed after the installation of the three-section home.

  • are transported on steel chassis which are never removed
  • are transported on their own wheels (which are most times removed in our area)
  • are set up on a series of steel pier and jack assemblies or concrete blocks with wood, plastic or poured in place concrete footing.
  • Today's California Housing and Community Development Departments (HCD), now requires that an "ENGINEERED TIE DOWN SYSTEMS" (ETS) be installed on any new or reset MOBILE or MANUFACTURED HOME.
  • Finally a MANUFACTURED HOME will have metal HUD TAGS aka INSIGNIA'S, DECALS, LABELS posted on the rear left of each section. The home will also have a "COMPLIANCE" certificate posted on the inside of the home in various places depending on the manufacturer

What is a Multifamily Manufactured Home?

Just to dispel the notion that HUD MANUFACTURED HOMES are only available in one story single family homes there are also “multi-unit manufactured housing”.

"A 'multifamily manufactured home' is a structure manufactured in one or more transportable sections to form two or more dwelling units into a single structure when installed. Multifamily manufactured homes may be used as a duplex, a dormitory, a hotel, efficiency units, or apartments, installed on a support system or foundation system. Depending on the situation, it may be required to comply with state and/or federal accessibility requirements."

Modular Homes and multi-story structures

Modular homes are residences constructed entirely in factories and transported to their sites on flatbed trucks. They are built under controlled conditions, and must meet strict quality-control requirements before they are delivered.

They arrive in a variety of sections and are generally installed on a poured in place continual footing and stem wall foundation including interior footings by crane or in some cases with a series of tracks and rollers if cranes are inaccessible or impractical.

But here are some of the major differences:

  • They must conform to the same local, state and regional building codes as homes built on-site.
  • They are treated the same by banks as homes built on-site and are easily refinance-able.
  • They follow the same market trends as site-built houses.
  • They are easily customized albeit today's MANUFACTURED HOMES are as well.
  • They can be designed in multi-story (as much as several stories aka mid-rises), multi-family, residential or commercial apartments, condos, offices, mid-rise motels, etc.

A study by FEMA found that modular homes withstood the wind and water from Hurricane Andrew better than most other homes in the area. They take less time to construct than site-built homes, are more energy-efficient, and generally cost less.

I have been tracking a lot of posts written and contributed by many real estate professionals on various blogging platforms from Active Rain to Linkedin as well as several publications and even in some audio visual commentary be it news related, informative documentary or advertorial in nature.

I don't claim to have all the answers, information or knowledge. However, given the 3 decades I've been in this industry I just thought I should put as much as I can out there for all to see in an effort to clear up many of the misnomers and misunderstandings both real estate, construction and the lay person may have developed during the course of their research.

See this reply in the discussion

54 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Nick CoonisGreat to hear and I'm glad your so realistic about the bottom line cost vs site built. 80% is great when the average is closer to 15%. You must really know how to clip coupons. Who is the manufacturer just out of curiosity?

    BTW, I was raised in La Mirada. Go Matadores!! Our class, '64, was the first full 4 year class to graduate from the then new LMHS campus. I had the privilege of playing fullback and linebacker on our football team that year and we won the league Championship and went all the way to the CIF final in the LA Coliseum. Unfortunately we lost to St Francis 7-0 in the last 3 minutes of the game. 

    Good luck and have a great holiday season.

  • Real Estate Investor · Acton, CA · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    @John Arendsen that's crazy, I was the last class to attend LMHS for 5 years (we started in 8th grade). I graduated in 1997. After us they opened the middle school. 

    The home manufacturer is Golden West. Our all in cost (excluding the land) is $287K for a 4 bed two bath 1782 sqf single story ranch home. That's including the house delivered and installed, all appliances, all the site costs, permits, etc.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Nick CoonisWow! You've got my respect! That's great. You should be in the biz. Where is Acton? I've heard of it. Isn't in Central Cali somewhere? 

    That is pretty crazy. I didn't know the campus was now a middle school. Where did they locate LMHS? Or did they just eliminate it due to demographic changes? Are John Glenn and Neff HS still open?

  • Real Estate Investor · Acton, CA · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 73 votes
    10y
    John Arendsen no it's still the high school, I meant when I attended LMHS there was no middle school, so we started high school in the 8th grade through 12th grade. They opened Benton middle school when I went into 9th grade so we were the last class to attended 8th grade at LMHS. Acton is in LA county, up off the 14fwy above Santa Clarita. We bought 10 acres there about 5 years ago. With the 50k we paid for the land, we'll be at about $340k total in the project, which they appraised at $450,000 with the new finished house on it. That appraisal does not include the stainless steel appliances, stone countertops, wood flooring, landscaping, garage, etc. We're thinking the value will be closer to $500k. My dream is to do this again for profit as an investment!
  • disabled · Orange, TX · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    John Anderson thank you for answering my questions I kind of knew all that stuff I ran to manufactured modular lots in Southeast Texas the Golden Triangle area work for Oak Creek homes which builds both and we put Home here along the coast after the Hurricanes blew houses away they won't blow these Oak creeks away that are down here a modular home is the way to go when you're putting them up above ground  20 foot in the air. 

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Thank you everyone for your input and expertise. 

    Gordon

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    Thanks @John Arendsen and @Nick Coonis for the info you shared.

    I live in a small town in WA, and getting good contractors are not easy, and a new home building project would definitely be more than 12 months. 

    Can you please recommend 2-3 Modular home builders for West Coast?

    Also do you feel comfortable for Duplex (2 story) for a modular home?

    Thank you again.

  • Real Estate Investor · Acton, CA · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    @Casey Rolland The manufacturer I used is Golden West Homes, and the distributor was Pacific Valley Homes. As to the question of feeling comfortable with a two story modular duplex, they builder claims that not only or modulars built to the same codes and standards as site built homes, they actually have something like 30% more lumber in them than site built homes do, because the modulars have to be able to withstand the drive on the truck. So they are technically stronger or "over built" when compared to a site built home. 

  • Mike ReynoldsPro Member
    construction · Nacogdoches, TX · Member since 2011 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Gordon Meadows:

    We are involved in several Developments one is Modular Homes 100 pads+ Eco Friendly. 22 acres-Austin TX! First of its Kind in Austin.

    and another High End Stick Build -w/Post and Beam Homes 70 large lots , with infrastructure in and land free and clear. also have 3 homes Dried in and Ready to finish.

    And looking to network with Lenders and other Texas Professionals during the development of the Park. 

    Lets talk soon.

    Gordon  

    Hey, Gordon. What's the area in Austin that this is at? How far along is the project?

  • Investor · Oceanside, CA · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    HI Lee,

    I saw these homes and wonder if they would work with the zoning issues you are talking about? They look a little cheaper than kitahus. 

    http://www.medcottage.com/products.php

    Let me know!

  • Investor · Port Townsend, WA · Member since 2014 · 103 posts · 50 votes
    10y

    @Nick Coonis Thanks, I browsed around and it seems TBH seems to have good reputation for the rural area I am in. I am going to investigate this builder.  If anyone has good or bad or OK experience, I would appreciate your feedback.

    Thanks ahead.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Sarah Miller I think those might be a bit cheaper but they are in Virginia (added shipping cost?) and don't have the aesthetic that will appeal to the demographic I'm targeting, but kind of you to keep an eye out! I'm looking into how much it would cost to site build several units with a similar design, it might be cheaper especially in bulk. @John Arendsen I know the modulars save time and not necessarily money but in bulk the cost savings might trump the time savings! I would love to have a tear down lot zoned R-3 or R-4 to try this out on, if anyone has this I've got some ideas! 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Sarah Miller keep me on your radar screen if you come across any MH deals in the SD area.

  • Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    To @Fred Sams and @Justin R.: I happened to be glancing over this thread when I read your conversation with @John Arendsen concerning development costs.  Funny enough, my company did most of the homes in the Curci owned Lido Peninsula that John was talking about, as well as many other projects in California.  I'm currently in the process of wrapping up a 40 home two-storey development in Santa Barbara.  One of my projects actually involved a development of 2plex modular town homes (Silvercrest) in Escondido.  If you have any questions about your project I'd be happy to discuss.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Fred Sams, I'm also a Silvercrest dealer and have been trying to get them to build some of those Curci two stories for me on some small lot infills I'm looking at buying. But they told me that they were no longer doing 2 story HUD's.

    In fact about the only ones I know of that are is Fleetwood. Perhaps you have a better inside track of this since you obviously do a lot more volume that I do and they don't mind opening up the lines to you for that reason.

    If you can still get the Curci 2 stories I've got some projects I'd love to discuss with you if you're interested. feel free to PM me anytime. I'd be very interested in discussing this with you sometime.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    Big Oops! Sorry @Fred Sams the message above was meant for @Ryan White.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Gordon Meadows Would you mind keeping me in the loop regarding your Austin project/s? What's the deal on your MOD development? Is it a rent/lease MH park community or a resident owned? Where exactly in Austin is it? 

    I'd also be interested in your stick built project and its location and price points. My oldest daughter and her family of 3 children moved to Austin and are currently renting in Stiener Ranch. They love the area and have been looking around for a good area to invest in. They really like the Dripping Springs area. Are you around that area by any chance?

    Feel free to PM me regarding specifics. I might be interested in participating in a project in the Austin area if it would mean helping my daughter get into a home at a reasonable entry level.

  • Specialist · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 31 posts · 2 votes
    10y

    Sure , We can speak more about them the week of the 11th. 

    GS. Meadows

  • Professional · San Diego, CA · Member since 2014 · 232 posts · 20 votes
    10y

    @Ryan White @John Arendsen @Lee Ripma @Justin R.  

    Trying to find these style modulars: 

    http://irontownhomes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/los-altos-california-modular-home-exterior.png 

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Fred Sams, Contact Curtis Fletcher. Tell him I referred you.

  • Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 3 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @John Arendsen:

    @Fred Sams, I'm also a Silvercrest dealer and have been trying to get them to build some of those Curci two stories for me on some small lot infills I'm looking at buying. But they told me that they were no longer doing 2 story HUD's.

    In fact about the only ones I know of that are is Fleetwood. Perhaps you have a better inside track of this since you obviously do a lot more volume that I do and they don't mind opening up the lines to you for that reason.

    If you can still get the Curci 2 stories I've got some projects I'd love to discuss with you if you're interested. feel free to PM me anytime. I'd be very interested in discussing this with you sometime.

     @John Arendsen After the recession Silvercrest removed their "Superfloor" department from their Corona factory, which was literally the foundation of the Lido Units; also, changes in codes in HCD make the units illegal to final.  That, combined with their expired AC letter makes it a pretty safe bet that you won't be able to get the Lido anymore.  


    The park just installed two units in Lido that were manufactured by Fleetwood, however, I heard from the installer that the units had issues; so much so that they refuse to install any more units for the park.  I did a project in Bellflower using Fleetwood and I can say that my experience with their product wasn't the best, but they may have changed.

    I actually just got an AC letter approval for a 2 storey unit, similar in design to the Lido units, which I'll be using on another project of mine.  It may work on your projects.  I'll PM you to discuss further.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Ryan White, Big thanks! Can't wait to see them. What's the SF and $$/sf?

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Ryan WhiteOops! Disregard question. Just noticed your last sentence.

  • Homeowner · VISTA, CA · Member since 2015 · 726 posts · 340 votes
    10y

    @Ryan WhiteHi Ryan, I don't have any other contact info for you. Hope some how your radar puts you back in touch. I have a project in Leucadia that might be a perfect fit for the Curci 2+2. Could PM me when you have a chance? Big thanks, John

  • Real Estate Investor · Acton, CA · Member since 2014 · 109 posts · 73 votes
    10y

    I just created a diary for my modular home construction project, check it out. So far it seems to me that building modular really does not have many setbacks at all! 

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/522/topics/28...

    @Casey Rolland
    @John Arendsen

    @John Arendsen
    @Lee Ripma

    @Lee Ripma
    @Manolo D.

    @Manolo D.
    @Karen Margrave

    @Karen Margrave
    @Ryan White

    @Ryan White
    @Jay Hinrichs

    @Jay Hinrichs

    @Ewa Reza

    @Alfred Carrasquillo

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.