We are involved in several Developments one is Modular Homes 100 pads+ Eco Friendly. 22 acres-Austin TX! First of its Kind in Austin.
and another High End Stick Build -w/Post and Beam Homes 70 large lots , with infrastructure in and land free and clear. also have 3 homes Dried in and Ready to finish.
And looking to network with Lenders and other Texas Professionals during the development of the Park.
Lets talk soon.
Gordon
@Leonard Maddox, If he's selling the homes individually as a "RESIDENT OWNED" land and home package he's very wise to go with MOD over HUD any day for a number of reasons.
Albeit rather lengthy and comprehensive I think you may find this information useful if you really do want a thorough understanding of the difference between the two.
The Difference Between A "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"
and A "MODULAR HOME"
Part 4
For those who may have missed Parts 1-3 please take a
few moments to review should you have any interest in
"FACTORY BUILT HOUSING".
In Part 1 we discussed the
difference between an
"RV", "Park Model" and a "
HUD Manufactured Home".
Part 2 we discussed the difference
between
a "TRAVEL TRAILER" and a
"MOBILEHOME"
In Part 3 w discussed the difference between a Pre HUD "MOBILEHOME" and a HUD "MANUFACTURED HOME".
Now for the 4th Part in this series.
This is a "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"
This is a "MODULAR HOME"
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. What you see in these two photos is exactly what you could see on a private lot or parcel in Anywhere, USA. Contrary to popular belief both a HUD Manufactured and Modular Home could very well go down the same assembly line in any factory and often times do.
Both are available in one and two story floor plans although MODULAR structures can be multiple stories
Both have virtually the same choices of architectural detail i.e. curvalinear, pop outs, roof line options, T, L and even U shapes can be designed to meet just about any design challenge found in "SITE BUILT" homes.So now that you know what can be done with either a HUD MANUFACTURED or a MODULAR HOME. Here's the legal definition of both a HUD MANUFACTURED HOME and a MULTIFAMILY MANUFACTURED HOME:
California Department of
Housing and Community Development Study Guide for Obtaining a Dealer or Salesperson License
What is a Manufactured Home?
“Manufactured Homes” are single-family dwellings manufactured in a factory to preemptive federal construction standards. Available designs range from low priced single section homes known as “singlewides,” to upscale homes manufactured in several sections, and even multi-story homes. Shown at the right is a model designed for placement on a foundation with the garage constructed after the installation of the three-section home.

Finally a MANUFACTURED HOME will have metal HUD TAGS aka INSIGNIA'S, DECALS, LABELS posted on the rear left of each section. The home will also have a "COMPLIANCE" certificate posted on the inside of the home in various places depending on the manufacturerWhat is a Multifamily Manufactured Home?
Just to dispel the notion that HUD MANUFACTURED HOMES are only available in one story single family homes there are also “multi-unit manufactured housing”.
"A 'multifamily manufactured home' is a structure manufactured in one or more transportable sections to form two or more dwelling units into a single structure when installed. Multifamily manufactured homes may be used as a duplex, a dormitory, a hotel, efficiency units, or apartments, installed on a support system or foundation system. Depending on the situation, it may be required to comply with state and/or federal accessibility requirements."
Modular Homes and multi-story structures
Modular homes are residences constructed entirely in factories and transported to their sites on flatbed trucks. They are built under controlled conditions, and must meet strict quality-control requirements before they are delivered.
They arrive in a variety of sections and are generally installed on a poured in place continual footing and stem wall foundation including interior footings by crane or in some cases with a series of tracks and rollers if cranes are inaccessible or impractical.
But here are some of the major differences:
They can be designed in multi-story (as much as several stories aka mid-rises), multi-family, residential or commercial apartments, condos, offices, mid-rise motels, etc.A study by FEMA found that modular homes withstood the wind and water from Hurricane Andrew better than most other homes in the area. They take less time to construct than site-built homes, are more energy-efficient, and generally cost less.
I have been tracking a lot of posts written and contributed by many real estate professionals on various blogging platforms from Active Rain to Linkedin as well as several publications and even in some audio visual commentary be it news related, informative documentary or advertorial in nature.
I don't claim to have all the answers, information or knowledge. However, given the 3 decades I've been in this industry I just thought I should put as much as I can out there for all to see in an effort to clear up many of the misnomers and misunderstandings both real estate, construction and the lay person may have developed during the course of their research.
why are you doing modular over manufactured is it because of the restrictions
@Leonard Maddox, If he's selling the homes individually as a "RESIDENT OWNED" land and home package he's very wise to go with MOD over HUD any day for a number of reasons.
Albeit rather lengthy and comprehensive I think you may find this information useful if you really do want a thorough understanding of the difference between the two.
The Difference Between A "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"
and A "MODULAR HOME"
Part 4
For those who may have missed Parts 1-3 please take a
few moments to review should you have any interest in
"FACTORY BUILT HOUSING".
In Part 1 we discussed the
difference between an
"RV", "Park Model" and a "
HUD Manufactured Home".
Part 2 we discussed the difference
between
a "TRAVEL TRAILER" and a
"MOBILEHOME"
In Part 3 w discussed the difference between a Pre HUD "MOBILEHOME" and a HUD "MANUFACTURED HOME".
Now for the 4th Part in this series.
This is a "HUD MANUFACTURED HOME"
This is a "MODULAR HOME"
No, your eyes are not deceiving you. What you see in these two photos is exactly what you could see on a private lot or parcel in Anywhere, USA. Contrary to popular belief both a HUD Manufactured and Modular Home could very well go down the same assembly line in any factory and often times do.
Both are available in one and two story floor plans although MODULAR structures can be multiple stories
Both have virtually the same choices of architectural detail i.e. curvalinear, pop outs, roof line options, T, L and even U shapes can be designed to meet just about any design challenge found in "SITE BUILT" homes.So now that you know what can be done with either a HUD MANUFACTURED or a MODULAR HOME. Here's the legal definition of both a HUD MANUFACTURED HOME and a MULTIFAMILY MANUFACTURED HOME:
California Department of
Housing and Community Development Study Guide for Obtaining a Dealer or Salesperson License
What is a Manufactured Home?
“Manufactured Homes” are single-family dwellings manufactured in a factory to preemptive federal construction standards. Available designs range from low priced single section homes known as “singlewides,” to upscale homes manufactured in several sections, and even multi-story homes. Shown at the right is a model designed for placement on a foundation with the garage constructed after the installation of the three-section home.

Finally a MANUFACTURED HOME will have metal HUD TAGS aka INSIGNIA'S, DECALS, LABELS posted on the rear left of each section. The home will also have a "COMPLIANCE" certificate posted on the inside of the home in various places depending on the manufacturerWhat is a Multifamily Manufactured Home?
Just to dispel the notion that HUD MANUFACTURED HOMES are only available in one story single family homes there are also “multi-unit manufactured housing”.
"A 'multifamily manufactured home' is a structure manufactured in one or more transportable sections to form two or more dwelling units into a single structure when installed. Multifamily manufactured homes may be used as a duplex, a dormitory, a hotel, efficiency units, or apartments, installed on a support system or foundation system. Depending on the situation, it may be required to comply with state and/or federal accessibility requirements."
Modular Homes and multi-story structures
Modular homes are residences constructed entirely in factories and transported to their sites on flatbed trucks. They are built under controlled conditions, and must meet strict quality-control requirements before they are delivered.
They arrive in a variety of sections and are generally installed on a poured in place continual footing and stem wall foundation including interior footings by crane or in some cases with a series of tracks and rollers if cranes are inaccessible or impractical.
But here are some of the major differences:
They can be designed in multi-story (as much as several stories aka mid-rises), multi-family, residential or commercial apartments, condos, offices, mid-rise motels, etc.A study by FEMA found that modular homes withstood the wind and water from Hurricane Andrew better than most other homes in the area. They take less time to construct than site-built homes, are more energy-efficient, and generally cost less.
I have been tracking a lot of posts written and contributed by many real estate professionals on various blogging platforms from Active Rain to Linkedin as well as several publications and even in some audio visual commentary be it news related, informative documentary or advertorial in nature.
I don't claim to have all the answers, information or knowledge. However, given the 3 decades I've been in this industry I just thought I should put as much as I can out there for all to see in an effort to clear up many of the misnomers and misunderstandings both real estate, construction and the lay person may have developed during the course of their research.
Yes on most Accounts, thank you for the broad range of information you have provided the forum.
Gordon
You mention "'HUD' modular homes".
What about modular homes built by companies other than HUD-contractors?
Around here, two brothers in my investing group are involved with modular homes which are essentially no different from stick-built other than that the stick-building occurs in a factory instead of on-site. They still dig a hole, pour a basement / foundation, lay down joists and plywood / OSB / etc., then the modules are assembled on the first floor, the second floor is laid and the second floor modules assembled on that.
Essentially, once the foundation / basement is ready, a house can be put under a roof in a matter of circa. two weeks rather than 3 months or more.
Are you familiar with this?
You mention "'HUD' modular homes".
What about modular homes built by companies other than HUD-contractors?
Around here, two brothers in my investing group are involved with modular homes which are essentially no different from stick-built other than that the stick-building occurs in a factory instead of on-site. They still dig a hole, pour a basement / foundation, lay down joists and plywood / OSB / etc., then the modules are assembled on the first floor, the second floor is laid and the second floor modules assembled on that.
Essentially, once the foundation / basement is ready, a house can be put under a roof in a matter of circa. two weeks rather than 3 months or more.
Are you familiar with this?
@David DachteraI'm really not familiar with HUD Contractors. In Cali if you're a licensed General and/or Manufactured Home contractor you can install either or HUD or MOD.
I am aware that MOD's are Factory Built and ready to install onsite as are HUD homes. I'm also aware that both HUD and MOD's can be multi story and multi family and installed on basements.
My point is that if you're going to install a 'FACTORY BUILT' home on 'RESIDENT OWNED' property working with MOD's vs HUD's is a much better solution. The main reason being the overall quality of construction and the ability for the appraiser to find comps within a reasonable geographic proximity without have to defer to the nearest 'MOBILE HOME PARK' which I've seen happen all too often.
Hope that makes some sense.
@John Arendsen we contemplated modular for one of our SC projects there are far more modular builders out east than on the west coast and I think the market accpets them better as well.
@Jay HinrichsNo argument there my friend. That's always been a problem in Cali. There's an age old stigma about MH's be they HUD Manufactured or state of the art MOD's folks here still refer to them as trailers.
Such stupidity. We travel extensively throughout the USA and see MH's everywhere we go. Some in pretty run down Mobile Home communities that folks here refer to as toilets. Others in pretty upscale MH developments or on private lots/parcels. In any event I've been in the industry for over 4 decades and have seen the evolution first hand. No doubt about it today's MH's are not 'TRAILERS'!
@John Arendsen I was in Newport beach a few weeks back and there is a MHP right on the PCH between there and Huntington beach those were some pretty fancy trailers.. I told my wife the pad probably rents for 1 to 2k per month :) not sure if I am right or not.
Are those owned by the Dougher Brothers do you know ?
@Jay Hinrichs, Ha! Newport Beach my ole stomping grounds. Lived there for years. In fact I met my wife, Janis, of 41 years there. Our kids were all born in Hoag Hospital, however, I know about all the developments you are referring to. The Curci's own the one on Newport Penninsula. There's one in the Newport Dunes that's been gentrified but I'm not sure who owns it now.
As for rents. You're spot on. Some of the spots depending on location are going for as much as 2-4k/mth. But that's peanuts compared to Malibu. Paradise Cove which sits on a hill on the East side of Coast Highway overlooking the ocean charges 5k/mth.
I just heard of a sale in that park that was over 5 million dollars for an old pre HUD single wide. But the view was spectacular. LOL! It's crazy stuff in Cali no doubt. Especialy when so many of these home are merely vacation homes for the rich and famous as they say.
I actually own a number of MH's in Leucadia which is a little beach community in North San Diego. I designed and installed a couple of hybrid 2 stories one of which we use as our vacation home ,"Casa de Aire y Sol". However, I negotiated a 40 year lease with the owner before I ever considered investing 250k in his little trailer park
If you're interested here's a blog I posted on Active Rain about the project. I'd be happy to send you the link to the next two parts if your interested.
The Cubic Foot vs The Square Foot Counts.
Big Places on Tiny Spaces.
PART 1 of 3
In California it's a known fact that the closer you get to the beach the smaller the lots get leaving folks with limited choices in finding suitable let alone affordable building and ownership opportunities.
One very popular trend taking place today is the transformation of many boutique "Mobile Home & Trailer Park Communities" that dot the landscape along the California Coastline.
We selected the Encinitas and Leucadia area of North San Diego County (Aerial photo above) because, first and foremost we live in San Diego (Americas Finest City), and secondly because of its old fashioned traditional funkiness, fabulous surf breaks and fantastically friendly beach people and surf culture; a true breed unto themselves.
We chose the "The WEE MOBILE HOME PARK", in LEUCADIA which is a 9 space/lot very peaceful & intimate "Mobile home Community" with a private dead-end roadway called "THE LANE". This feature really limits un-invited traffic and makes for a very peaceful and private setting.
In the photos above sit the original small singlewide trailers, mobile homes and even a park model (RV under 400sf) that were installed from the 50's to the 70's.
In Part 2 we are going to show you what happens when you use a little imagination and Space Planning. We will leave you here for now removing this old circa 50's 10x50 foot trailer (500sf). Just wait until you see what happens next!
@John Arendsen yes its another world in the prime CA locations. I grew up in cupertino and back in the mid 80's there is a park right next to the Winchester mystery house on hwy 280... Double wide sold for 350k in 1988.. we all thought that was nuts LOL
You local @John Arendsen @Jay Hinrichs Cali boys no all the “nooks and crannies” Like the back of ones hand huh?
I have a couple Infill lots I am trying to take control of (in San Diego) they would be perfect to build hip 2 - 4 Plex Modulars. My limited investigation has found push back from the market until after the project(s) are completed and they are the pride of the neighborhood (who would of thought?).
The other is surprising that being from (2) of the manufacturers, I spoke with who's issue was being competitive.. to stick build given the transportation cost etc,.this sort of surprised me? Maybe not in light of my interest being 1 - 4 units at a pop.. as opposed to large scale like the post. Also the idea of 2nd level mods for pop/top projects.
2016 It’s a goal to better understand the cost(s) to complete projects with Modulars. This fits right into the Urban Renewal model.
@Fred Sams In addition to challenges with competitive pricing from the manufacturers and questions around how the market will accept it in SoCal, there's also the issue of finding local builders anxious to take this sort of thing on.
I looked at doing a MOD build for an infill lot (also in San Diego) and the level of unknowns just didn't make sense compared to stick-built.
Conceptually, I love the idea (especially for urban infill!!) and wish I was more familiar with it and could coach my contractors and inspectors through such a project.
I'd love to watch anyone who may doing one of these local to San Diego.
@Justin R. Wish you would have been around when we did our hybrid homes (1st floor single wide 14.6x36 feet; 2nd floor site built). It was a first timer in this area and really raised a few eyebrows. Also lowered a few LOL!
@Fred Sams, The sad reality and one folks often have to learn the hard way is that at the end of the day and when the dust all settles the difference between site (stick) built and MOD is negligible. Maybe, just maybe a 10-20% overall savings.
That stated the only real advantage to going MOD is turnaround time, job site congestion (tradesmen tripping over each other and/or slowing each other down), length of time in causing local congestion issues for local traffic, weather issues, material and equipment vandalism and theft issues.
This is, however, significant for investors trying to revisit their capital and realize a faster ROI and cash flow. If you can get a MOD project done in 3-6 months from infrastructure, foundation and installation of structures vs 12 to 18 months on site built (as a General & Manuractured Home Contractor I've done both) you'd be in the green a lot sooner.
BTW, @Justin R.& @Fred Sams, should you wish to further probe your projects in the SD area and are looking for investors keep me in mind. I'm also a Manufactured/Modular Dealer and can buy from any/all MOD manufacturers.
This is for the Forum Austin Texas Modular Home Park
Networking with REI Pros!
We appreciate all your responses, We have identified the funding we need for the Park
Equity and Debt.
thanks
Gordon
@John Arendsen Will reach out to you for sure.
@Justin R. Likewise
@Gordon Meadows Best of luck!
@Fred Sams and @Justin R. Great!
I have a similar idea of adding small modular units to existing parcels in San Diego which contain at least one single or multi-family unit and have the proper zoning. I think there is a real push towards smaller living, mainly because millennials (like me) want to live in the City center and can't afford million dollar homes. This is evidenced by the "tiny house" craze, but the problem with tiny houses (e.g., tumbleweed) is that you can't legally add them to parcels as they are considered RVs (code violation and a plumbing logistics). Therefore, my idea is to follow the zoning laws in San Diego and install something like a 350 sq. kit house with a foundation and permits. I've done a lot of calculations regarding these additions and I think it probably would be less expensive to stick build them, although I only have rough estimates for adding the modular units with foundations and no costs for stick building them. I am interested in the units having a sleek modern design and so like the kit haus k6 with a kitchen and bathroom.
http://kithaus.com/modules/k5-k6-series/
My estimate is around 87k per unit to add 5 of these units to a lot I was looking at that already contained two single family homes. The great thing about the deal I was analyzing is that the area was zoned only for single dwelling units and these would qualify. I think the idea of smaller living in the City center is really catching on. I know a 350 sq foot house sounds way too small to many of Bigger Pockets, but there is a ton of demand!
If anyone in San Diego has a unit that could possibly accommodate one these and/or is interested in seeing/critiquing my calculations I'd love to share. Great topic!
Hey Lee, glad to see you putting this out there! I've been busy figuring out what to do with my condo in Hollywood and am currently here editing a second version of a video I shot. I've also been traveling with the drone cinematography and going to Atlanta next week on a week long job.
I produce virtual tours, lifestyle videos if anyone is interested. I'm working on a scripted version for example.
@Lee Ripma, Thanks for reaching out. Sounds like you've got an ambitious project/s looming in the World of TINY. Yes, you are absolutely spot on about Gen M and their desire for small.
Two of my 5 kids fit your model to a "T"and actually live and have and currently are raising the 6 children they have between them in small homes in Leucadia. Here's an interesting I wrote on a few years back on this subject. Perhaps they might help you in your quest.
There's lot's to know and learn about this concept of housing, however, do understand that at the end of the day it will not always be as much of a $$$ saver as it is a TIME saver for an investor.
Due to the much quicker turnaround time realized with Factory Built Housing you will be able to revisit your investment capital and/or pay off your construction loan much quicker, cut down on theft and vandalism, curtail if not eliminate weather related issues altogether and most importantly start generating cash flow and ROI much quicker..
I am in the middle of building a SFR modular home on my property in Acton CA as my primary and I've learned a ton about this process. @Lee Ripma has a great idea. If anyone has any questions about modulars I am becoming an expert... I'm with you @John Arendsen I have yet to see the downside to this process other than maybe some design restrictions, but a single family home that is built in a factory to the same specs as a site built, at triple the speed and 80% of the cost is working out great for us so far.