Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Votes |
Is there fear in using private lenders for the first time?

Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Posted Mar 22 2023, 16:29

What advice would you give someone looking to find a private lender for the first time to fund their deals whether it be wholesale deals or using them to fund the purchase of multi-family apartments? 

User Stats

Votes
David Ramirez
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Wholesaler
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Mar 22 2023, 16:39

No fear, if the numbers work, why not? 

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Votes |
  • Alabama
Replied Mar 22 2023, 18:34
Quote from @David Ramirez:

No fear, if the numbers work, why not? 

The fear may come from the what ifs. What if something does not go as planned and the borrower is unable to pay back the private loan? How does someone new to getting private lender funds even approach the private lenders asking for the loan? How does that conversation start off?

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 23 2023, 07:45

Private lenders invest in people, yes the deal has to work but you have to be someone they want to invest in. That means a good track record. 

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Solivan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Mar 23 2023, 13:37

Anything you do for the first time, fear will be there. It's normal. It's ok to feel fear. Embrace it; just don't let it hinder you. The beautiful thing is you're not alone. You have a community with BP that have like-minded individuals with the same goals. I would do your due diligence if you haven't yet joined your local real estate investor group join them. I'm sure they look forward to connecting with you and helping you accomplish your goals. I believe in you; you got this. If anything, I'm here for you. Best Wishes.  

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Votes |
  • Alabama
Replied Mar 23 2023, 20:56
Quote from @Edwin Solivan:

Anything you do for the first time, fear will be there. It's normal. It's ok to feel fear. Embrace it; just don't let it hinder you. The beautiful thing is you're not alone. You have a community with BP that have like-minded individuals with the same goals. I would do your due diligence if you haven't yet joined your local real estate investor group join them. I'm sure they look forward to connecting with you and helping you accomplish your goals. I believe in you; you got this. If anything, I'm here for you. Best Wishes.  

I appreciate that. I reached out to what I thought was a private lender about options to purchase a multi-family apartment complex. They told me they can only loan me so much, but I have to come up with a large upfront down payment. That is money I do not have. They suggested I open up a business line of credit in my LLC name to come up with the money. Is that a good idea to use a business line of credit in my LLC name to purchase real estate? 

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Solivan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Mar 24 2023, 13:17

Antonio, I'm going to share an idea with you. I recommend you invest in BP Pro. The education alone will close the knowledge gap for you. It alone will teach you so many ways to get started in different and creative ways. For example, to answer your question, not having the capital should not stop you from accomplishing your goals. I would recommend a JV deal on your first deal. Find someone who has the capital to fund the deal. BP is your go-to. I would start there. Because, Yes, you do need capital to get started. However, it doesn't mean it has to be your capital. Get creative and use other people's money. Again you got this. I believe in you.

User Stats

Votes
Antonio Bodley
  • Alabama
Votes |
  • Alabama
Replied Mar 25 2023, 14:27

Antonio, I'm going to share an idea with you. I recommend you invest in BP Pro. The education alone will close the knowledge gap for you. It alone will teach you so many ways to get started in different and creative ways. For example, to answer your question, not having the capital should not stop you from accomplishing your goals. I would recommend a JV deal on your first deal. Find someone who has the capital to fund the deal. BP is your go-to. I would start there. Because, Yes, you do need capital to get started. However, it doesn't mean it has to be your capital. Get creative and use other people's money. Again you got this. I believe in you.

Where do I find BP Pro on this site?

User Stats

Votes
Edwin Solivan
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Kissimmee, FL
Replied Mar 26 2023, 10:47

On the right-hand side of your BP profile click on your photo you will see options, go to account upgrades from there they have different options on how to upgrade. I hope that is helpful.  

User Stats

Votes
Ronald Fontenot Jr
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Houston Texas
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Contractor
  • Houston Texas
Replied Mar 26 2023, 15:11
Quote from @Antonio Bodley:

Where do I find BP Pro on this site?

If you listen to or watch any of the Bigger Pockets podcasts, frequently they will give you a discount code to use for your first year of BP Pro. That's what I did. It's worth every penny so far and I'll be happy to pay the full price when it's time to renew. Best of luck!