Umbrella Liability Policy. Is it worth it?

Umbrella Liability Policy. Is it worth it?

Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes

I'm reading Dave Van Horn's article

Maybe You Shouldn’t Start an Entity. Consider 4 Alternative Asset Protection Strategies Instead.

And it got me curious. Almost everyone suggest getting an umbrella policy since it's relatively inexpensive. I agree. But is it worth it? And will the insurance company defend their clients? (assuming it's out of the client's control)

And I read somewhere that if you have over $1 million policy, your insurance company would have attorney representation on your behalf?

Are we all so brainwashed that in this litigious society, we need to get all sorts of insurance, just for piece of mind? 

Do you KNOW of anyone that has been through litigation where they had to rely on the umbrella policy? 

2Reply
168 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bayside, NY · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
9y

My insurance agent had my home, auto, and various landlord policies carry a maximum of $500,000 liability, and anything over that is carried in the umbrella.

I originally carried $1,000,000 when I started, and increased it to $3,000,000. Premiums was originally under $1,000, and few million more only ran me another $200 to $300.

Totally worth it. Some scammer had a slip and fall, got a lawyer after me. I told him don't bother me, to go after my insurance. The lawyer dropped the client and case after 6 months because it was too much trouble.  The scammer gave up on me after he pleaded with me to give him a few bucks to go away, and I said NO.

See this reply in the discussion

62 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Downers Grove, IL · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 955 votes
    9y

    @Andrew Holmes, yes I got one but I need to increase it since I've added more projects in the pipeline. Glad you're ok, looks like a pretty bad accident. 

    @Dave Van Horn

    It seems like the common theme for getting sued are slip and fall. Do your PM have protocols in writing in order to "reduce/prevent" future incidents? 

    That's probably why investing in notes are ideal ! Less landlord / PM headaches and liabilities. 

    @Mark H.

    thank you for sending that umbrella comparison policy. Luckily, my insurance company covers most of the issues. Perhaps I need to look more into the rental car insurance's cheap additional insurance - for piece of mind - when I travel next time.

    @Gary Baker

    My umbrella costs under $300 pa, and I've several properties. Several others have posted here with their costs as well. 

  • Investor · Keller, TX · Member since 2015 · 81 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Chris T.

    Yeah after reading the 'car' aspect I understand why. I have three drivers under 25 on my policy. 

  • Dave Van HornPro Member
    Fund Manager · Wayne, PA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Chris T.

    Definitely true of notes!

    But I don't think our situation had anything to do with my Property Management company and how they handled the situation since it wasn't on our actual property and it wasn't even my tenant who had the slip and fall. In 30+ years, I only had this situation happen once, so it was more or less a fluke. These things can happen though, which is why insurance exists I suppose! 

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    I just got off the phone with my Homeowners Insurance - Travelers where I have an Umbrella Policy; I called to add my FL condo, they asked to see the declaration page for my FL condo since it is insurance with another carrier; and NOW Travelers is wanting to drop my Umbrella and said they do no longer want to extend an umbrella policy to me because of the liability in FL.  Has this happened to anyone? Please PM if you have a great Umbrella policy that will cover FL.

  • Insurance Agent · Maitland, FL · Member since 2015 · 397 posts · 244 votes
    9y
    Lulu Logan Florida is tough. We have a few markets, like Hudson that will look at it. Don't bother calling Hudson directly, they work exclusively with independent brokers. We are one and work nationwide so we can do Hudson for you. But yes if most insurance is water, then Florida is oil. It rarely mixes.
  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 9 posts · 5 votes
    9y

    @Derek Lacy do you guys offer standalone Umbrella insurance policies up to $2M.. I'll send you my personal email to discuss further..

  • Jason BottPro Member
    Insurance Agent · Nationwide · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Lulu L.:

    @Derek Lacy do you guys offer standalone Umbrella insurance policies up to $2M.. I'll send you my personal email to discuss further..

     Lulu, there are several stand alone options in the market.  It all depends on the make up of your portfolio and if you want a single Umbrella to go over your Home/Auto and business operations, or 2 separate policies (1 personal and 1 commercial).

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.