Nightmare 1st Property - Does it get better?

Nightmare 1st Property - Does it get better?

Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 14 votes

Hello Everyone,

I currently live in one of the most expensive areas of the country (Bay Area, CA). I work in tech at an amazing company (Facebook) and I am extremely fortunate to have a relatively high salary for my age. Despite this salary and having a large total savings, I am unable to afford a 1 bed/1 bath fixer upper condo for 1+ million (the going rate in this area).

Being in tech I keep an eye on areas that have exponential tech growth and Austin caught my eye. I connected with a coworker in that office for a referral of a broke and realtor in that area and things were great. I had never been to Austin but for 6 months as soon as a property hit the MLS, I would review and debate writing offers. During this period of time 6 properties hit the market that I was very excited about. My interest was in renovated properties that would require little to no work, being remote, I did not want to have the extra stress an outdated property. Out of these 6 offers, all were place on the day of the property hitting the market and the very next day each seller asked for best and final.

The 6 property that I put an offer on, was a duplex that hit the MLS for $419k. I had my realtor and broker check the property out and give me their feedback on wether or not I should more forward. They agreed that it was a great location and I should submit an offer. My offer was accepted for $435k (25%/$110k down, 4.65int). It was a completely renovated, beautiful duplex with no tenants in either side (due to the renovations before sale).

Part of the contingency, I had an inspection which returned some questionable items, like no outlet under the sink for the garbage disposal (one of many small things) and a huge electrical panel swap, estimated at $5k. This was extremely concerning for me at the time but after discussing with my realtor and working with the seller they agreed to fix the issues caught by the inspector and give $5k towards the closing cost for the electrical work.

We closed and I used the same people to list the property for rent, as quick as I could. The property sat for 4 weeks with no interest on either side (after the realtor and broker told me it would be rented instantly - people will say anything while you're buying a property). I became concerned and flew out to Austin to visit the property. I found that the property was extremely dirty and there were no blinds, the renovation was sloppy (paint, tape, rushed worked) but as disappointing as that was, I put the time in and cleaned the property and installed blinds and the next week, two tenants applied.

Then the problems FLOWED in. As soon as I got a tenant there were issues after issues. First, I was notified that there were no smoke detectors in any of the units or rooms and I was liable to do install that ($350 for 8). There were no screens on any of the windows and the tenants wanted screens (understandable - not required $500). I was never told that there were no screens but this is relatively minor. The tenants called and said that no outlets were installed in any of the bathrooms (I didn't notice this when I flew out after closing and it was never included in my inspection - not up to code, $1,250). The electrician found exposed romex wiring that was also not called out on the inspection. Immediately upon one of tenants moving in the water heater went out and needed to be replaced ($800). Undisclosed expenses are starting to add up and I am starting to feel like I am drowning in things that were not told to me. Immediately after replacing the water heater, I get a call that the other unit water heater is out and their heater is out as well (HVAC system from 1994, $4,500) this wasn't called out to me either.

So far I have had:

  • Smoke detectors that were missing and extremely overpriced ($350) - not disclosed
  • No electrical outlets installed in any bathrooms and wiring not up to code ($1,250) - not discussed
  • Window coverings ($400) - not disclosed / not required by law but crummy to not know
  • Bad water heater upon purchase ($800) - not disclosed / 2nd one in process of replacing
  • Broken HVAC system ($4,500) - not disclosed
  • Broken Dryer Outlet called out on Inspection was to be fixed (not fixed)

Total: $7,300 in expenses not disclosed that would have swayed me from purchasing this property. Not to mention an extra $1-2k on misc. maintenance expenses.

I am defeated. I feel taken advantage of being a remote buyer without seeing the property. The seller did not disclose (there's no way they didn't know these problems, while doing a renovation). The inspector failed to note any other issues. The realtor didn't catch them either.

Each day I wake up expecting to see some other large expense, that is creating a financial burden on me. The broker has changed up the tune from saying this is a beautiful property that will rent quickly and be low maintenance from a renovation, to saying that I should expect these expenses from a renovated property and I am being a "new investor".

I feel helpless being remote and that jobs that I paid people to complete were not done correctly and I am paying a high price for them. I bought this property with cashflow in mind but with the undisclosed expenses that have come up immediately after purchasing, I am looking at 3 years before I can break even from cashflow on a $110k down.

My plan is to continue to purchase duplex/fourplexs but this experience has been terrible. I am working with a real estate attorney now to figure out what my recourse may be and I look forward to a week/month/year where there are no large expenses. Is my experience typical?!

4Reply
238 views

Most Popular Reply

Rockledge, FL · Member since 2016 · 493 posts · 427 votes
8y

James, 

Is this typical?  Not usually. 

That being said, there were a few things that you could have done better. Your have stated some of them, but let me see if I can give you some ideas to fix them.

1) You didn't mention anything about the numbers.  First and foremost the deal has to cashflow. At 435k you need to rent each side for 2200 to even think about breaking even,  especially in a high property tax state like TX. Don't buy the BS about sub 1% and appreciation. If it don't cashflow don't buy it. Quite frankly if you are having to put out 3 years of profit on 7300, of expenses,  the deal sucks.

2) 5k for an electrical panel in a completely renovated 420k Duplex is completely untenable. At that price point, the property should have NOTHING wrong with it. Add to that the missing garbage disposal outlet. That is a good sign of someone who doesn't know how to do a punchlist for renovations. In the future come up with a checklist  (read The Checklist Manafesto) and make sure you check EVERYTHING on it. Which leads me to point 3.

If you are investing out of state, and don't have excellent support,  cart your butt there and meet them. You did this deal entirely from your chair in CA. You've never been to Austin for any reason. I don't buy the BS that you can invest in a location without ever having been there. So for the price of a plane ticket and 2 to 3 nights hotel, let's say 1500 bucks you risked 110k of your own money on a 440k deal. Save 1500 (10% of your hard earned cash) to lose, what another 7300? Next time slow down, spend the dough to go see the place and establish the relationships to truly make it work.

Finally, stop the pitty party.  Stop feeling defeated and taken advantage of. Watch spending money on an attorney. Both the agent and the inspector have no liability no matter what they have said. You signed a document that absolved the inspector of any liability and the broker is not responsible for the condition of the property,  only the purchase and sale portion of the deal. Plus,  they were probably a sellers agent, with no fiduciary responsibly to you.

Look, I'm not trying to rub salt in your already open wounds. What I am saying is that most  of this is preventable. Stop focusing on "I have to invest in Real Estate" and focus on "Is this real estate a good business/ investment decision". Get back to basics.

Stay out of multiple offer situations when you first start, and for good measure stay the heck out of "hot" markets. You got creamed because you got in over your head. 20k over on something that doesn't cashflow properly is an impulse purchase not a level headed business decision. 

I would take my next long weekend in Austin,  find an excellent inspector (lose the entire group you are dealing with now) and spend 2 to 3 hours going over the house from top to bottom and getting to know the property. Once you know what you are in for, then you can decide if you want to keep it or dump it. 

FWIW, I bought a SFR 4 months ago, and just had to put a new AC in. Completely my mistake for not insisting that it be pulled apart and looked at. The roof I know about (2 years max before replacement), but was blindsided by the AC. I won't make that mistake again.

You will do just fine in the future. Everyone effs up a deal. You got yours out of the way sooner than others. Keep plugging along, you'll get it. 

Hope that helps. 

Good luck, 

Jim 

See this reply in the discussion

76 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 408 posts · 361 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I would ask that you click on any of the properties your map indicates. I live in San Francisco itself, in a historically blue collar neighborhood (the Excelsior) and there are no duplexes under 900k at list price, all of which get overbid. I can assure you not one of the listings in San Francisco or in the Peninsula are what you think they are. 

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ernesto Hernandez:

    @Account Closed I would ask that you click on any of the properties your map indicates. I live in San Francisco itself, in a historically blue collar neighborhood (the Excelsior) and there are no duplexes under 900k at list price, all of which get overbid. I can assure you not one of the listings in San Francisco or in the Peninsula are what you think they are. 

     Posting this mere minutes later and one of the first ones I click on is a duplex in oakland on 11th st for $280k. Stockton, Sacramento all have hundreds of listings. People always think the grass is greener in some far off place instead of looking within driving distance. When I up the price to $400k dozens more properties appear.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Panama City, FL · Member since 2012 · 265 posts · 58 votes
    8y
    Always expect the unexpected. I personally couldn’t do remote for this very reason. A lot do and have a good system.
  • Gordon CuffePro Member
    Investor · Roseville, CA · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 583 votes
    8y

    @Account Closedjust think of the money you spent as a quick real estate college education . I purchased in Austin back in 2005 and used the most corrupt agent that I ever met in my life . The rental house was ok but he burned myself and other investors out of tons of money on another real estate venture. I did like the city though. If your going to speculate on appreciation , you might as well speculate on sacramento real estate if you stay living in CA. I would not use a realtor to find a property unless they have owned investment properties for many years. I think if you keep reading stories here on Bp , you will do much better on your next real estate investment .

  • Real Estate Investor · Williamson County, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 961 votes
    8y
    Does it get better? Probably not. Austin is estimated to be about 20% overvalued...multiple sources, easily found. The duplex you bought was not empty because it was being “renovated”; but because the tenants were a barrier to selling the place(dirty) and the seller wanted out while the market peaked. (Why else sell when vacancies are low and rents high). Lipstick on a pig is probably apt. You will probably do fine, but it may not be smooth sailing. Rents cant stay high with all the apartments going up. America is great because we have trust in one another (ordering off the internet from complete strangers) but RE involves a LOT of money...you can trust to a certain extent but always verify. Buy hey! Its worth something to be able to say you’ve got investment property in Austin. I sincerely wish you well.
  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    8y

    Lesson one here - you can't trust anyone's rehab work. I hate to say it, but I am particularly suspicious with investor flips. I see probably 4 or 5 every month and while some are done very well there are other's that make me just think OMG over and over: a cheap contractor and a brand new investor always make for a dream team reno. And good flippers know where to spend money and where not. If the choice is new plumbing or granite countertops, granite wins every time. For a buy and hold I usually prefer a property that was owner occuiped, because you know that the owners cared about the work done right and for the long run. Plus it is usually not staged and will sell therefore often for less than the HGTV design flip.

    Lesson two - having realistic expectations. As the new owner you will always spend a few thousand dollars on stuff. Granted in this case the home inspector failed, but even beyond that you have to expect expenses. And these little things add up very quickly! Buying a rental property is different than buying a performing note. It's hands on and there will be issues that need to be dealt with. In the grand scheme of things these repairs are all relativley minor. It could have been a broken sewer lateral, which by the way is not part of the home inspection, but comes with a completley different price tag - more like 5-10k depending on where you live.  

  • Equity Raiser and Turnkey Provider · Cleveland, OH · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Hello Everyone,

    I currently live in one of the most expensive areas of the country (Bay Area, CA). I work in tech at an amazing company (Facebook) and I am extremely fortunate to have a relatively high salary for my age. Despite this salary and having a large total savings, I am unable to afford a 1 bed/1 bath fixer upper condo for 1+ million (the going rate in this area).

    Being in tech I keep an eye on areas that have exponential tech growth and Austin caught my eye. I connected with a coworker in that office for a referral of a broke and realtor in that area and things were great. I had never been to Austin but for 6 months as soon as a property hit the MLS, I would review and debate writing offers. During this period of time 6 properties hit the market that I was very excited about. My interest was in renovated properties that would require little to no work, being remote, I did not want to have the extra stress an outdated property. Out of these 6 offers, all were place on the day of the property hitting the market and the very next day each seller asked for best and final.

    The 6 property that I put an offer on, was a duplex that hit the MLS for $419k. I had my realtor and broker check the property out and give me their feedback on wether or not I should more forward. They agreed that it was a great location and I should submit an offer. My offer was accepted for $435k (25%/$110k down, 4.65int). It was a completely renovated, beautiful duplex with no tenants in either side (due to the renovations before sale).

    Part of the contingency, I had an inspection which returned some questionable items, like no outlet under the sink for the garbage disposal (one of many small things) and a huge electrical panel swap, estimated at $5k. This was extremely concerning for me at the time but after discussing with my realtor and working with the seller they agreed to fix the issues caught by the inspector and give $5k towards the closing cost for the electrical work.

    We closed and I used the same people to list the property for rent, as quick as I could. The property sat for 4 weeks with no interest on either side (after the realtor and broker told me it would be rented instantly - people will say anything while you're buying a property). I became concerned and flew out to Austin to visit the property. I found that the property was extremely dirty and there were no blinds, the renovation was sloppy (paint, tape, rushed worked) but as disappointing as that was, I put the time in and cleaned the property and installed blinds and the next week, two tenants applied.

    Then the problems FLOWED in. As soon as I got a tenant there were issues after issues. First, I was notified that there were no smoke detectors in any of the units or rooms and I was liable to do install that ($350 for 8). There were no screens on any of the windows and the tenants wanted screens (understandable - not required $500). I was never told that there were no screens but this is relatively minor. The tenants called and said that no outlets were installed in any of the bathrooms (I didn't notice this when I flew out after closing and it was never included in my inspection - not up to code, $1,250). The electrician found exposed romex wiring that was also not called out on the inspection. Immediately upon one of tenants moving in the water heater went out and needed to be replaced ($800). Undisclosed expenses are starting to add up and I am starting to feel like I am drowning in things that were not told to me. Immediately after replacing the water heater, I get a call that the other unit water heater is out and their heater is out as well (HVAC system from 1994, $4,500) this wasn't called out to me either.

    So far I have had:

    • Smoke detectors that were missing and extremely overpriced ($350) - not disclosed
    • No electrical outlets installed in any bathrooms and wiring not up to code ($1,250) - not discussed
    • Window coverings ($400) - not disclosed / not required by law but crummy to not know
    • Bad water heater upon purchase ($800) - not disclosed / 2nd one in process of replacing
    • Broken HVAC system ($4,500) - not disclosed
    • Broken Dryer Outlet called out on Inspection was to be fixed (not fixed)

    Total: $7,300 in expenses not disclosed that would have swayed me from purchasing this property. Not to mention an extra $1-2k on misc. maintenance expenses.

    I am defeated. I feel taken advantage of being a remote buyer without seeing the property. The seller did not disclose (there's no way they didn't know these problems, while doing a renovation). The inspector failed to note any other issues. The realtor didn't catch them either.

    Each day I wake up expecting to see some other large expense, that is creating a financial burden on me. The broker has changed up the tune from saying this is a beautiful property that will rent quickly and be low maintenance from a renovation, to saying that I should expect these expenses from a renovated property and I am being a "new investor".

    I feel helpless being remote and that jobs that I paid people to complete were not done correctly and I am paying a high price for them. I bought this property with cashflow in mind but with the undisclosed expenses that have come up immediately after purchasing, I am looking at 3 years before I can break even from cashflow on a $110k down.

    My plan is to continue to purchase duplex/fourplexs but this experience has been terrible. I am working with a real estate attorney now to figure out what my recourse may be and I look forward to a week/month/year where there are no large expenses. Is my experience typical?!

     I can't stand half done renovations. They are the people who throw paint on the wall and call it "Turnkey" They are just the scammers of the real estate world. I am sorry this happened to you. 

    Did you home inspector notice these problems? Normally, they at least will tell you about the smoke detectors! 

  • Investor · Stockbridge, GA · Member since 2017 · 122 posts · 41 votes
    8y

    Hey @Account Closed, keep your head high! Like everyone else has mentioned... you will become a better investor because of this, you will see. You should definitely buy this book and give it a read: "Long-Distance Real Estate Investing" by David Greene (https://www.biggerpockets.com/store/long-distance-...). I heard his recent podcast where he explained his process and it seems pretty air-tight. He too lives in the bay area.

    To David's point... as a new investor... this could of happened to you even if the property was local to you. We don't know exactly what we are looking for. After all you didn't notice the outlets after spending a 1 week in the property. It's all about relationships and finding the BEST realtors/contractors/prop. managers/brokers/inspectors as you can. Asking for references and doing your due diligence. Once you find these players and meet with them and get on the same page... success will follow. A "good" property isn't hard to find... a GREAT team is. That is where you need to invest your time in.

    Best of luck to you on your next deal! Soon, this will be in the rear-view mirror ;)

  • Rental Property Investor · Ithaca, NY · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Your story is unfortunate but makes for a great learning experience. Next time have people take photos of all the rooms for you. That’s what I do for my out of state clients. I hope your next venture goes better!
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Is there a home warranty?  As long as it is not a brand new home rule #1 is have a home warranty. You need to be there during the inspection treat as if you would live there. If it is not to your liking do not close the home run not walk away,

    How is the plumbing, roofing, signs of rodents etc ? Homes with no window covering should be the first item detected when they show the property or on MLS. They probably did you a favor as old drape look like rags.

  • Real Estate Agent · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    This story is gut wrenching....There is a lot of tips already discussed, and I'll try not to restate.

    I've seen so many flips or remodels with sloppy worksmanship or decisions that make awkward layouts or unusually small spaces for appliances.  If there are things you can see, what about the things you cannot see.  This is the scary part that makes one want to run the other way!!

    I would add that there is an extra benefit to walking through with a decent inspector.  You are already paying for their services.  You typically learn something every time you walk through with someone: about the neighborhood or deficiencies (or a they don't make 'em like they used to type story).  This goes the same for appraisers, contractors, etc.  It's an opportunity to chat them up and try to learn something.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2014 · 94 posts · 40 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed

    Thank you for sharing your experience. My heart goes out to you. The transaction you described sounds awful. I think we can learn just as much from the deals that go wrong as those that go right, using your experience as a bad example I am resolved to stick to my evaluations. All of Texas seems to be going crazy right now and there is a lot of out of state money flowing in. Demographically we are growing though. Austin has good fundamentals for future growth, appreciation MAY bail you out if you decide to stick it out. 

    If you are still interested in the Texas market I can run look at deals in the Houston and San Antonio area for you (Houston is easier for me). No financial incentive in it for me other than I like looking at real estate!

  • Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2014 · 36 posts · 8 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Thanks for sharing your experience. I see it as education -- the proverbial school of hard knocks. You got a deal and you learned a ton. The key is to keep pushing forward and not make same mistakes. May be you can apply this knowledge in finding your next deal. May be you can use some other means to salvage this deal. 

    I have documented my first out of state deal experience here and it is not pretty either; just to show you are not alone :)

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs/9656/60807-a-d...

    But I firmly believe this is not the norm and these exceptions teach you lot of things. 

    Good luck 

    --Tejas.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed I'm sorry that happened to you! I work with a broker that is meticulous about these types of items so it honestly blows my mind that other types of brokers exist. Luckily you did invest in Austin and to my understanding, their market is booming. Have you thought about selling and doing a 1031 to another market? Based upon a small amount of inflation you should at least be able to get your money back. 

  • Multifamily Syndicator · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Account Closed Ohhhh dude I'm so so sorry that this was your intro to real estate investing, as this could leave a bitter taste in your mouth. 

    That said, you are now way more equipped to tackle the next deal because you have found ways not to invest in real estate, especially from a long distance perspective. As real estate investors, one reason we really like investing in Real Estate is that it is REAL, we can touch it and see it and "feel" it (if this is a thing, lol). We should never forget that (all this automation and passive real investing stuff is really not as easy as it sounds. 

    In addition,  I'm not sure totally sure flying to TX a couple of times would have prevented the under sink issues (the on-the-ground team just sucked).

    Consequently, investing long distance is typically better, in my opinion, for either large stabilised assets (apartments) or turnkey rentals from a reputable company. 

    Look on the bright side, you started (many people never ever buy a property in their own backyard), so I suggest you celebrate your initial success of pulling the trigger and buying a property! This is really important for your sanity!

    Hope this helps. Goodluck on your second deal; I'm certain that it will be way better than the first. Thanks! - Ola 

  • Real Estate Agent · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 52 posts · 29 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed oh and to answer your question if it gets better: it definitely does! My family purchased a 3bd/1ba condo in one of the highest demand markets in San Diego in 2014, went in and did a full $30k remodel in 2015 (after they were able to get rid of the tenants) and was than able to increase the rent by $1,400 (not kidding). Since then they've only had about $2500 worth of annual expenses, a number that actually decreased significantly once we found the right property manager. That's obviously a pretty extreme example but wanted to give you a good story that yes it definitely gets better. 

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    Whatever you do, don't stop investing! Perseverance and learning from the challenges is the only thing that will let someone succeed as an investor. Every investor will hit a glitch like this and it's whether or not they keep going that makes the final determination.

    The good news is- maybe you got your big investing challenge out of the way early ;)

    My very first investment was out of the country and I lost $40k on it. Several times over the years following, despite the fact I was investing in other stuff, I kept bringing it up every time I had some kind of REI challenge. But I was given the same speech- be glad you got it out of the way early, every successful investor loses something at some point, it could've been worse, and what can you learn from it to make the rest of your investing that much better than it would've been?

    I'll get off my soapbox now and get back to the issue at hand...

    The best two things you can do now are 1. get this property dealt with, however that may be, and then be done, and 2. learn from what happened.

    There are a ton of things you can do, especially if you are buying out-of-state, to mitigate things like this from happening. Nothing is ever guaranteed, but there's a lot you can do to help yourself. I've been down the same learning curve with my out-of-state properties, but despite how many times I wanted to give up on them, I'm glad I didn't because they are cash cows now.

    Happy to chat anytime about helping with figuring this one out and also helpful tips for next time you go for buying another property!

  • Real Estate Coach · Venice Beach, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Ola Dantis:

    @Account Closed Ohhhh dude I'm so so sorry that this was your intro to real estate investing, as this could leave a bitter taste in your mouth. 

    That said, you are now way more equipped to tackle the next deal because you have found ways not to invest in real estate, especially from a long distance perspective. As real estate investors, one reason we really like investing in Real Estate is that it is REAL, we can touch it and see it and "feel" it (if this is a thing, lol). We should never forget that (all this automation and passive real investing stuff is really not as easy as it sounds. 

    In addition,  I'm not sure totally sure flying to TX a couple of times would have prevented the under sink issues (the on-the-ground team just sucked).

    Consequently, investing long distance is typically better, in my opinion, for either large stabilised assets (apartments) or turnkey rentals from a reputable company. 

    Look on the bright side, you started (many people never ever buy a property in their own backyard), so I suggest you celebrate your initial success of pulling the trigger and buying a property! This is really important for your sanity!

    Hope this helps. Goodluck on your second deal; I'm certain that it will be way better than the first. Thanks! - Ola 

    I love your response Ola! Great words and {it secretly gave me warm fuzzies inside reading your encouragements!} :) And I totally agree with everything you say.

  • Rental Property Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2013 · 188 posts · 228 votes
    8y
    School of hard knocks. Step back & look at the facts: you spent $435,000 on something (doesn't really matter what it is) that you never saw, & relied on sales people to tell you whether or not you should buy it & how it would perform, & seemingly you did not budget for unexpected problems. My friend, what you just purchased, was experience. Don't be defeated, far more is learned from failure than from success. You just leaned some of the fundamentals of RE investing: see with your own eyes what your pay for, before you pay for it. Don't trust the salespersons word on it. Always budget for upfront repairs. If possible, do the walk through with your inspector. Have a local property manager lined up & giving you advice before you make a purchase.
  • Rental Property Investor · Savage, MN · Member since 2016 · 202 posts · 61 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing your case with us @Account Closed. It will get better for sure. Just like many other folks have stated, build up your team for your desired area and this will help tremendously! You got this!

  • Rental Property Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 85 posts · 31 votes
    8y

    I think most of us in the community have had one bad investment where we learn the hard lessons and this could be in a local market (driving distance) or OOS. Never give up, I almost did for a year after my bad deal and I don't regret everything I've learned just by sticking with real estate. 

  • Investor · Salt Lake City · Member since 2017 · 52 posts · 23 votes
    8y

    @Account Closed and others who suggest markets with lower taxes, or being there in person. I am California based but my patch is in Utah and its a huge to me (even with one property) that I know my whole team, right to the cleaning lady, and they know that if something goes wrong, they'll have me knocking at their door if it comes to it! As a new investor I like partnering up with people who have been at it a little longer, that way I feel less likely to be taken advantage of too. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.